Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    Laying out windows.

posttng-0356.jpg

posttng-0357.jpg
    rojrenBolianAdmiralashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Very nice… starting to come together. I like the detail on the lifeboat hatches.
    Forward rooms in likely the conference room.

posttng-0359.jpg

posttng-0360.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777
    oof keep spinning these and keep changing my mind. Made the cutters a lum mat as they were a bit hard to see. I am thinking all the windows between the lifeboats are going to go. They have em on the sov like this but it seems to cluttered. Almost tempted to have all the saucer windows horz vs vertical too.

posttng-0361.jpg
    render sans the windows near the lifeboats.

posttng-0362.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralRory1707Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2024 Central OhioPosts: 1,250Member
    Yeah I like the fewer with this one.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited November 2023 #3307
    I agree, it looks better without the windows between the lifeboats.
    rojren wrote: »
    I always am... bemused (?) when I get something close to done and when I post it someone comments something like: "It looks like a duck." And when I go and look at it... yep that's a duck alright.

That reminds me of the story John Eaves told about designing the Enterprise-E. He had what he thought was going to be his final design. He showed to art director Herman Zimmerman, who said "It looks like a turkey." Once he said that, Eaves saw it too and went back to the drawing board. :lol:
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    LoopholeBolianAdmiralStarCruiser
    edited November 2023 #3308
    Lower windows, forward ones look more like an error than planning so I will likely use a different pattern and maybe step them into the hull.

posttng-0363.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777
    Inset, ugh remodeled the bloody thing multiple times cause first I realized the hull rim blocked the view, granted most ppl standing in there would look at what is below the ship vs what is in front so moved it then moved it again FFFF. I am also looking at spacing on the lower window cutters and the gaps between are a bit tight. Was sick all yesterday so I was just over focusing on the polygon spacing. I was manually spinning the dumb things about so that lowest ring might have to be auto spun be decimated that way to get a similar "jamb" between groups.

posttng-0364.jpg
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777
    More windows spun. Outer ones in the groove will be done like the ones on the top inner area. Or that is the plan. I dunno if I will add more than I have here or not.
    posttng-0365.jpg
    posttng-0366.jpg
    posttng-0367.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777
    I always like the way the Galaxy-style sensor strip looks on the saucers…
    Griding up and breaking up of the lower saucer dome. Lots of doing and redoing, rethinking and redoing again. Might still undo some of it.
    posttng-0368.jpg
    posttng-0369.jpg

Those central objects in the cutout are voyager like windows.
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerwibbleRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    Your line work looks fantastic, as always.
    Extruded in the lifeboat troughs and worked on those eyebrow like windows. What a pain. Still not what I want either. Plan is to make one then detach it and spin and patch them into the hull. HOWEVER I doubt the one in this sample will remain as I doubt anyone wants a view of a right of way bulb, or the rcs.
    posttng-0371.jpg
    posttng-0372.jpg

red-light.jpg
    wibbleWarp Propulsion Laboratoryashleytingerevil_genius_180bloknayrbStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777srspicer
    Ok spun and populated with cutters. I think these are better locations. The end of the ring inset will have to be looked at later in how I want to "end" it. I might just loop it down the neck into the secondary hull.

posttng-0373.jpg

posttng-0374.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserwibblerojrenRory1707Lizzy777
    I firmly believe that the crews on starships call those areas close to the ramscoops, where your cabin is inundated with overpowering red light “red light districts”…
    ok a messabgout with clip on a render. Not sure any of this will make it onto the model but meh.

posttng-0376a.jpg
    wibbleevil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralStarCruisercool65Rory1707Lizzy777
  • LoopholeLoophole98 Posts: 68Member
    Love the area around the deflector on that sketch
    Standing among giants
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Likewise
    Loophole
    Decided to rip off the stepped strut detail. Also made a tonne of smaller changes some of which I sorta regret as I will loose the preformed wires to create the shoulder seams on the struts. SO , new paintover.
    posttng-0378a.jpg
    evil_genius_180cool65BolianAdmiralStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    What the clearance like on those escape pods on the dorsal of the secondary hull? I like the rest of what you've got going on. Feel that the deflector needs the Superman S on there though.
    edited November 2023 #3322
    There is plenty of clearance. The real issue is placing them to look good and have proper access inside the hull. Unlike the ones on the lower hull these are tilted some to retain a flow on the outside but because of this they cross decks or req split decks near them. So, they might just go away to avoid the headache and resulting wonk with surrounding panels and windows. Of note all the lifeboats I have made sure can eject in a linear path and have their own flightpath away from the ship. No crossing paths etc. One thing I kinda kick myself for is not just continuing the rotated pods style done on the dorsal of the saucer across the entire ship instead of those unknown trapezoid things between.

Forward facing large lounge installed, I was originally going to make 3 rooms off these windows but decided not to. I however might wall it off partially as part of the rooms layout using screens or something I dunno. I might also rework the cut out for these windows as the upper area is chamfered off it still looks like a hard edge in render. In the past I cheated by basically having a lip here and rounding the snot out of it. This allowed for a more rounded opening without the PITA of unequal rounding percents long the length of the cutout itself. I am also still fenced on vertical windows down here. Almost tempted to go all horizontal on all windows that are not some unique shape.
    posttng-0381.jpg
    posttng-0382.jpg
    In render you can see a start on the deflector this will likely get redone from scratch vs using elements extruded off the main hull subdiv cage. Gray bits should be translucent glass elements just colored gray for now to see the intersections and form.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707wibble
    There we go, It isn't much but enough to ease the sharp looking edge.
    posttng-0384.jpg
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarshipStarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707wibblesrspicer
    Extended the blue ring down the neck for now and a few other small things. Some of the central stuff might just get undone but I dunno yet.

posttng-0385.jpg

posttng-0387.jpg

evil_genius_180Rory1707wibbleLizzy777
    New deflector dish elements, The housing it sits in though will be redone when I start chopping up the hull.
    posttng-0388.jpg

posttng-0389.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707wibbleStarCruiser
    I really like the way you did the deflector.
    Windows in B/C deck.
    posttng-0391.jpg
    posttng-0392.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707wibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruisersrspicer
    Lots of wasted time as I decide how to break up the hull bits.

posttng-0394.jpg
    Rory1707evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777
    Fooling with paint. Also insetr the panels with the glossy trim like the upper bridge module.

posttng-0397.jpg

posttng-0398.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777srspicer
    More small changes all over.

posttng-0405.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777
    Some more detail bits and changed the cutout near the registry. Rounded it to match the other stepped in window and increased the cutter sizes over what was there.
    posttng-0406.jpg
    posttng-0407.jpg
    posttng-0408.jpg

I should look at getting a proper name onto this thing.
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777srspicer