Information We Collect
Information You Provide
Information We Collect Automatically
- Basic Account Information:
We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. We require you to provide a username and an email address. You may provide us with more information in your profile, but all we need is a username and a valid email address.
- Public Profile Information:
If you have an account with us, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile. For example, your username is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, such as a photo or any social media links or location information you provide. Your public profile information is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
- Content Information:
Obviously any content you post on the forums will also be publicly available. Some sections are limited to members only or specific groups of members, but you should treat anything you post as public.
- Private Messages:
We do not read your private messages under most circumstances, but there is functionality in place, which enables Administrators to access them, if (and only if) serious abuse is reported.
How We Use Information
- Log Information:
Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Information from Cookies & Other Technologies:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account and preferences.
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with the site.
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of the site and our members.
- To communicate with you, for example through an email for example to send you information, notifications that you request about changes to topics or in response to inquiries.
- To personalize your experience using our Services through user preferences.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
Information Shared Publicly
- Legal Requests:
We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others:
We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of the site, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Information that you choose to make public in your profile is disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, posts, and other forum activities are all available to others. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
We may employ advertising in the future, if the running costs necessitate it. We will make the necessary announcements and amendments to this policy at the time.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it.
- We aim to keep active user profiles and forum content indefinitely, since an online community is not a time-limited task. We do not, however, make any guarantees that all content and profiles will be available indefinitely.
- Unused profiles (0 posts) will be kept until they have not logged in for approximately 5 years.
- We make a good faith effort to retain server logs containing the IP address of all requests to this server no more than 180 days.
- We do reserve the right to retain minimal user information on permanently banned users. We believe retaining this data in the interest of protecting our members from abusive individuals falls under the ‘legitimate interests’ outlined in the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the "GDPR").
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
If you are located in a country that falls under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
However, as noted above,
- We do reserve the right to retain minimal user information on permanently banned users under the ‘legitimate interests’ outlined in the European General Data Protection Regulation
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, get in touch with us.
How to Reach Us
This policy was last changed 10 February 2019
This document is CC BY-SA 4.0