Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I absolutely adore that saucer---my favorite so far.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9842 Posts: 5,334Member
    edited November 2023 #3273
    Gonna need to redo these from scratch but some ideas with shaping. I will likely be abandoning the "teeth" and making the "kink" into a swoop with curvature as the cross section of the nacelle when at angles makes it look wobbly.

posttng-0291.jpg

posttng-0293.jpg
    posttng-0294.jpg
    posttng-0295.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited November 2023 #3274
    Great go out to to wheelie bins come back and my LEFT and RIGHT views the gizmos have no legs just XYZ you can just see them highlight when I hover over them. But as you can see with other views the gizmo appears correct. Google and it is a mess of BS commands or settings that do not relate to this issue. I am guessing I had a visitor on my desk and they pushed yet another shit single key hotkey and disabled the ARMS on the gizmos. (well control handles as all gizmos are fucked.

It isnt view hide or any setting related to it it is not the + or _ to change size as that will affect the XYZ and their positions in relation to eachother. What is insane about it is it is ONLY related to the left and right views. Ortho perspective top bottom front back all display correct, and it does not matter the quadrant. I also restarted max so that isnt it.
    posttng-0296.png
    FFFFF
    It seems it is in the file so I hope it isnt corruption or some bs like that as opening a blank file and creating a box everything behaves fine.

uh ok comes back when I select multiple objects. Oh also forgot to add I can still change fixed directions by looking real close and hovering near X oir Y in this case. (being left or right views) :SHRUG

more oddity, unide other layers I can then select the nacelle parts or objects singularly and the gizmo is properly displayed. Move those objects to another layer nope gizmo still fucked. As long as one of the other layers is unhidden it is fine does not matter which one as long as it is one with objects not in the nacelle layer or layers tose nacelles are in. Create a new object in the layers with the nacelles it comes back delete that object they vanish again.
    BolianAdmiralStarCruiser
    Ok, whatever did the symmetry to clone the othe rnacelle and it "went away" so I dunnowtf.

One thing I do not like with these atm is how narrow they appear from the top. Reason I flared the bottoms was to give them some girth but render from near the top and meh.

posttng-0297.jpg

posttng-0299.jpg
    posttng-0300.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerRory1707BolianAdmiralStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777
    The strap doesn't diffuse very well heh. Probably get worse as I add nacelle parts. Guess I could do is when I do the work on the bussards Ill swap materials. Thing I do not look forward to is the ribbing.

First images are old layout.
    posttng-0303.jpg
    posttng-0304.jpg
    These are of the new narrower positioning of the nacelles and tweaked struts. Still unhappy with the narrowness of the rear ends on the nacelles from the top. Thickening them up though just doesnt look that great.
    posttng-0305.jpg
    posttng-0306.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777
    Ok I think Im fine with these now. Time to round em off. Speaking of rounding tempted to tighten up some of the loops on the secondary. Like the flat area on the backside.

posttng-0307.jpg
    posttng-0308.jpg
    posttng-0309.jpg
    ashleytingerRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777cool65
  • rojrenrojren2329 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,977Member
    I miss the down-angled bussard glowy bit.
    All rounded up.

posttng-0312.jpg
    posttng-0313.jpg
    posttng-0314.jpg
    posttng-0315.jpg
    Test of warp coils.
    posttng-0316.jpg
    Do not really like how they look in the loop area so might have to rethink those.
    StarriggerRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777srspicercool65
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Do not really like how they look in the loop area so might have to rethink those.

They look great in the other part of the nacelle. Perhaps you could just do something different for the loop area.
    Forgot I had applied a separate grill mat to the blue parts on the old nacelles. What I now dislike is how a lot of the color shift from royal blue to cyan is missing so I will have to tweak. (OK tweaked things mid renders so it is sorta back)

posttng-0319.jpg
    posttng-0320.jpg
    posttng-0321.jpg
    posttng-0322.jpg
    posttng-0323.jpg
    posttng-0324.jpg

Now I need to decide on this back neck stuff, leave the trailing spine thing or just have it slope down into the hull and end it then do a separate spine detail. Reason I dislike the former is case of that curved join it creates. Just the nature of the geometery of those parts. I could fight it manually and force a straight edge but it probably would be a gaff at best. Dislike for the latter is well the neck just ending into the secondary hull.
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777publiusrRory1707
    edited November 2023 #3282
    posttng-0326.jpg
    Idea for another time maybe. . . lol but would def do a linear stripe with that idea vs the strap.

Update small one just overlays and something to clutter the gap. The overlays/decal might be made into a pattern than lazy stripes.

posttng-0325.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLoopholeStarCruiserLizzy777publiusrRory1707
    I know I said it before, but it's worth repeating. I really like how you did the transition from the bussard to the blue part. I also like the colors in the bussard, the mix of the reds, yellow and orange is really visually appealing.
    posttng-0326.jpg
    Idea for another time maybe. . . lol but would def do a linear stripe with that idea vs the strap.

Nice, you're already working on a class variant. :)
    LoopholeRory1707
  • JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    Okay, I love how this thread has literally turned into a bunch of in-jokes/puns! First, you literally named her "Burdensome"/"Troublesome"/"Can't Be Bothered", which I immediately interpreted "eh, I can't be bothered with naming this thing right now"!

What's that? I haven't commented on the design yet? Well, okay please don't deny that the sloping angle of the engineering hull was influenced by the Boat-Tail aesthetic prevalent in the 1920s 1930s? automotive design aesthetic! It's like super bold!
    Here the class variant!
    posttng-0329.jpg

Current one UNKO, is uh well poop. A kids phrase. Maru is often applied to boats so, poop boat. BUT yes, I find naming ships an annoyance. It is why I often name them from myth or historical figures or figures in old stories.

Well, the ships arse. . . . . I'd say is a more of a needs be and to create the shapes needed for the inspiration imagery. A large part of this model is seat of the pants with a few disjointed ideas as foundation. The neck that warps into the saucer rim the slope back off the upper super structures, Krause's doodle (though kinda lost that)

Update mostly is decimation of a few lifeboats and recutting of the insets. While it was only 10 or so it does not seem to be that much looking at things heh. I was wanting a bit more hull plat between them to work with but bleh. Still more than I normally would apply to a ship I just got too carried away using the D as a refrence and this silly idea of 2 and 4 on a link. I do not think this is president on any canon ship so I dunno where I picked it up.

posttng-0330.jpg
    posttng-0331.jpg
    tldr I might pull more off.
    evil_genius_180Rory1707srspicerStarCruiserLizzy777JES
    oops meant to render it from this side to show the secondary hull pods. . . .
    posttng-0332.jpg
    publiusrevil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777
    Looking at phaser strip locations. Kinda wanted the top one on the inner dome but, just no where for it to go that wasnt too close to windows, obscured by hull. SO best location I could come up with. It is close to the lifeboat access halls but beats being over windows or super close to them,
    posttng-0333.jpg
    posttng-0334.jpg
    I do not look forward to figuring out the secondary hull. Probably gonna be silly short ones on the butt and maybe something down the sides. Or lengthwise? lol

posttng-0335.jpg
    One thing I wont do is stick weapon s systems on nacelles or struts.
    Rory1707srspicerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Could the dorsal arrays not go into the red pinstripes or is that too close to the windows still?
    rojren wrote: »
    I miss the down-angled bussard glowy bit.

Sorry I tried to keep them but could not reconcile the shape into something that did not rely on that blobby bottom part. They are def saved for other uses.

Second set of phasers for the saucer. Also a render to see how things look without that aft spine area sticking out of the bridge module.
    posttng-0336.jpg
    posttng-0337.jpg

Red pinstripe area or hull flanking around the registry is a no go. I tend to leave that strip free of visual clutter. Also the phaser "gutters" too wide for that space. So those red lines would just not be clear if the phaser strip was there. Also upper dome just wasnt working for the strips due to declination FOV.
    Rory1707ashleytingersrspicerStarCruiserscifiericevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Here the class variant!
    posttng-0329.jpg

Heh, that reminds me of the story about how the 33-inch model fell off a table when they were checking it out, landing saucer and nacelles down due to the saucer being so heavy, and Gene Roddenberry liking it and wanting the Enterprise to be the same ship, but upside down. Matt Jefferies had to talk him off the edge on that one. :lol:
    Rory1707scifieric
    It seems to be a common thing with producers etc with wanting to flip things or make them go other directions and call it changed.

Ok the spine thing is going back in but shorter and fatter. This will give me better rooms to wirk with as well as some traditional spaces such as a aft facing lounge or conference room. I do not know which will be the ready room as the aft one is quite a walk off the bridge Hell even the one with flanking windows is a walk as you have to shift through the offices to get there. SO, maybe I will go drastic and stick it at the FRONT. As I already have a planned sunken bridge, there will be a multi level area leading down from the lift doors which will be at the office levels. I mean I probably will never model it but having it planned out isnt a bad idea.
    posttng-0340.jpg
    So current idea for the spine is a aft lounge for bridge staff, meals etc, or a large meeting room. The aft facing area would be a lounge for those docking ports or other saucer staff, guessing computer staff and other central maintenance crews. This of course will be a split level affair of some sort. The space between is up in the air. Be it filler with no windows of one of the 2 rooms or smaller areas with smaller windows. I am still unsure how I will do windows on that deck the docking ports are on. vert, horz, or corners.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserRory1707
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1122 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,576Member
    Ah, the Reverse-Class Starship! 😜
    U.S.S. INVERTED or U.S.S. UPSIDEDOWNIEST

anyhow a render of some failure. . . . aft windows just arnt cutting it so gonna patch that into non-existance and start over.

posttng-0342.jpg
    evil_genius_180scifiericLizzy777ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707
    New windows.

posttng-0345.jpg
    posttng-0347.jpg
    ashleytingerRory1707evil_genius_180
    There is this thing

posttng-0350.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserRory1707
    I had a flashback to the old Centronics printer connectors when I first glanced the impulse engine on the above image. :)
    StarCruiser
    I really like those lounge windows.
    Maybe some old retro computer YT influence? Nah, just happened to look like that. Mostly dummy mock up stuff doing a easy shape then adding those pincers to add visual clutter. Then it kinda uh, stuck. I actually remember that style plug in the old OLD SCSI interfaces for HHDs ZIP and Scanners/cameras from the 90s.

So far mostly messing with decals and some more added on details. The landing outside the aft lounge is DUNNO atm. I think it is time for me to collapse the mesh this all sits on so I can vgoid out the hull that clips through a lot of this work when it is unhidden.

posttng-0351.jpg
    posttng-0352.jpg
    evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserashleytingerRory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryStarship
    I always am... bemused (?) when I get something close to done and when I post it someone comments something like: "It looks like a duck." And when I go and look at it... yep that's a duck alright.
  • JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    Current one UNKO, is uh well poop. A kids phrase. Maru is often applied to boats so, poop boat. BUT yes, I find naming ships an annoyance. It is why I often name them from myth or historical figures or figures in old stories.
    Japanese lessons, brought to you by your local friendly MadKoiFish! I just love how you're just making the name a series of jokes until you feel ready to take it seriously!

Ok that neck bit is now collapsed and weeded so the interiors are no longer clipped by the bits of hull.

posttng-0353.jpg
    posttng-0354.jpg
    StarshipashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707