Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804514 Posts: 11,157Member
    I like the escape pod layout. It looks like plenty of pods for the saucer crew. How big do you figure the crew size is for this ship?
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I am not going to do a bridge detachable as the amount of logistics is foolish to do such a thing. I did it with the onimaru as that was a large ship and I sorta had plans for it's use but never got there in the end. And in reality I doubt such a thing would ever be built into a ship.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's never been sold on that idea. I know it's in the back story of a lot of designs, but it's technically not canon, which is good. Besides, if you look at lot of TNG era ships, they have escape pods right by the bridge, with the obvious intent being that those pods are for the bridge crews and people working on the other upper decks.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9864 Posts: 5,335Member
    Given this thing is a quarter of the vol of the D Id say 500ish.

Max says the D is 134m whatever units vs 37m whatever units in volume. (ok closer to 30% than 24%)
    posttng-0211.jpg
    render of it above the D. Forgot how far I got with that model. I yanked off all the window cutters etc but I had the lower saucer cut and boxed. It is probably why I abandoned it figuring out all those rooms behind all those huge slits.

ok delayed post to show additional upper lifeboats.

posttng-0212.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruisersrspicerRory1707ashleytingercaveat_imperatorBolianAdmiralLeoBerlinLizzy777JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Nice! I love that comparison with the D. That goes a long way to show the size. I hope you eventually finish that model, it looks like you got a lot of what I would consider the hard stuff out of the way.
    edited November 2023 #3215
    I just hrrnnnggh at the mesh density on the thing.

posttng-0213.png

But that is the thing old physical models just are not designed to be easy in 3d. Kinda the opposite of the things we can do in 3d that a physical model could never do or require a lot of effort to replicate. I do look at these larger ships and remember how it was to design on paper then realize it to a physical model.

The ship always gave me ulcers as there is so much a photo cannot communicate or so many curves there is no way of knowing what they really are without depth photos (projected lines) or hands on profiles. Things like the underside of the neck to saucer union or the curvature along the secondary hull leading to the aft part of the ship. I still think I have a lot of that stuff wrong.

always forget how thick the saucer is on it too.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    StarCruiserRory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    But that is the thing old physical models just are not designed to be easy in 3d. Kinda the opposite of the things we can do in 3d that a physical model could never do or require a lot of effort to replicate. I do look at these larger ships and remember how it was to design on paper then realize it to a physical model.

Yeah, that's the truth. They definitely weren't designed for CGI. CGI was looked at during TNG's pre-production, but it was realized that the technology wasn't there yet. If they'd used it, I guarantee you the Enterprise would have looked way different. Even looking at some of the older ships, like the Constitution class (both versions) or the Miranda class. There are parts on those models that are a pain to try to replicate with CG, no matter how good your sub D skills are. Yet, if you look at some of the parts of the JJ Connie and you think about how that would have been a pain to sketch out plans in 2D, then realize as a physical model, yet a CG artist was able to make that using sub D. The different ways of making things definitely dictate how to design them.

I definitely understand your reasoning for not wanting to get back to that beast. I know I'm not in a hurry to make one, and I absolutely love that design.
    Tentative layout for the secondary hull. The set of 8 on the warp cut out are maybe a bit too much. It definetly limits plans for the shuttle bays and other structures down there so they might vanish or get cut down. Ones along the spine will need to be rotated to fit so they clear that change in hull shape and not look strange.

posttng-0214.jpg
    posttng-0215.jpg
    posttng-0216.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180rojrenStarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerRory1707Lizzy777JES
    edited November 2023 #3218
    Ok the inner saucer boats need to go elsewhere. Registry kinda wants to go there. Number based on that one STO ship in picard. 90XXX something. Forgot what last reg number was. Though given the copy pasta fleet ships numbered 100000 wouldn't be out of place fff. But I guess tech wise they could just use an entire planet as raw mats and just crap them out via replicator using a sun for power.
    posttng-0217.jpg
    oh well fff just found a image of some Nebula refit looking thing with 91870

Ahhh maybe Ill just run the phaser strips on the outer saucer rim vs the inset and that should allow the reg to sit above the lifeboats.
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777JES
    OR maybe not. . . a bit to tight for the ship name.
    posttng-0218.jpg
    eugh found more images with the Picard tag (eg canon) and one is 97XXX ffff
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerRory1707LeoBerlinLizzy777JES
    Ok I think that works

posttng-0221.jpg

At some point I will again have to relearn how I clone path phaser strips lol. Forget every time how I do it till I get to doing it again.
    StarCruiserashleytingercaveat_imperatorBolianAdmiralRory1707LeoBerlinLizzy777srspicerJES
    edited November 2023 #3221
    I love the name "USS Whanot," you should keep that. :lol:

Ugh, registry numbers. Such a pill. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind them. Between 2151-ish and 2245 (I think when the 1701 was launched) they went from NX-01 to NCC-17XX. (Assuming NX-01 would have become NCC-01 if the ship hadn't been taken out of service) Then, by the end of the 23rd century, the numbers went well into the NCC-2XXX range, possibly higher. (canon numbers only) Between 2293 and the 2370s, they jumped up to the NCC-7XXXX to NCC-8XXXX range. That means Starfleet commissioned a LOT of ships in that time, assuming there are no major jumps in numbers and that numbers except for very few don't repeat. Given the expansion of the Federation and the need for more SF ships, from tiny ones up to huge explorers, it makes sense. After all, even runabouts were shown to have their own NCC numbers. Assuming the same level of expansion from the 2370s to 2401, it would make sense to be well into the NCC-1XXXXX range. But, as we know, the numbers seem to be more random, calculated by someone's thought process on what should be there for whatever time frame the ship was designed, rather than an actual system.

Looking at the Ed Miarecki's Galaxy kitbashes from the Battle of Wolf 359 fleet, the numbers are all over the place. The USS Buran is NCC-57580, the USS Chekov is NCC-57302, the USS Kyushu is NCC-65491 and the USS Ahwahnee is NCC-73620. Since these ships were made using Galaxy model kits, they use the same tech, they were presumably all from the early 2360s. The ships built by Greg Jein also used the Galaxy nacelles, along with parts from some of the other ships built for the show and some custom built parts. However, the Galaxy nacelles also presumably put those ships from the early 2360s. The USS Princeston is NCC-58904 and the USS Firebrand is NCC-68732. Since those use older components with the newer nacelles, those could possibly be refits. Still, it looks like we have numbers ranging from NCC-57302 to NCC-73620, all on ships (presumably) from the early 2360s. That's a LOT of ships just from that part of "history," assuming Starfleet doesn't just skip vast number ranges, for whatever reason.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    ashleytingerRory1707JES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972331 Posts: 1,208Member
    I'd imagine at somepoint they'd devise a new reg system as the numbers become unwieldy. Or just start over. They could even reassign old numbers that are long out of commission, at the very least that would explain numbers being all over the place.
    ashleytingercaveat_imperator
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann678 Posts: 1,326Member
    edited November 2023 #3223
    Registry numbers drive me nuts. Four looks good. Five is a little unwieldy but easy enough to read, especially with the usual 74XXX thing. It breaks down easy. Six takes a second. Ideally there could be a space in there, NCC-908 722. Much easier on the eyes.

We know the original era's breakdown of the numbers (starship class, number of ship ie 17th design 01st vessel). Maybe there's something like that going on when they reach six digits, like fleet/design/number? So 908722 becomes NCC - 90 87 22, 80th fleet, 97th design, 22nd vessel?

I also figure at some point they'd have to restart the counter with a new leader, maybe ACC? With the first ACCs (ACC-01, 02 etc) being new registries on older ships, with newly build ships starting with the ACC-0101, 0201, etc.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68357 DetroitPosts: 171Member
    Perhaps there could be more use of smaller numbers with letter suffixes. The Enterprise and Voyager can't be the only good ship names in 300 years of Starfleet to be reused.
    Why not go ahead and take a higher 4 digit number and add a letter like c, d or e? USS Whateverprise NCC 5809-C for example?
    Also, I think NCC stands for Naval Construction Code.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
  • JESJES408 Posts: 196Member
    Came on here just to post something I was working on, so forgive my not being up to date on everything here. The registry number kind of depends on whether or not you want to diverge from what DISC has done. There is no canon registry for the 2530s, where you say this design should be present. Personally, I think that the registry numbers would at least double from the 90000 range up to the 180000 range by the beginning of the 26th Century.

And I really like how you've merged the bussard collectors with the warp emitter strip. Very Neo Excelsior.
    Roughing in the black patterns (post delayed due to getting distracted while checking on a game FFFF) Also note I have an extra 2 in the registry. I had not intended to have 900thousand reg but just 90k. ATM picard registries highest I have seen is a ncc - 97626, I gave up after that. Either way this gaff is one of those things I find myself doing so much more of since that nasty flu from this last spring. 3 days of overheated body to the point I couldn't walk after. What I would deem horrible ADD like lack of being able to focus on anything more than a few min. To typos that make no sense. I would expect me to have seen this sooner with all the position relocations etc but nope. . . FFFF I usually do something odd with the reg so odd nill even odd odd minus a even from the prior number. EG 9 0 8 7 (-5)=2 so even more so I would think I would catch this sooner. T_T oh well.

posttng-0226.jpg
    posttng-0227.jpg

Registries I would expect them to have worked something out for the ridiculousness started in TNG, while tng had excuses from losses and wars. While as mentioned by EG, runabouts could really inflate the numbers as those would be a super common ship possibly just pooped out of a replicator en masse, well least in the spaceframe maybe small or rarified materials would have to be done the "old" fashioned way.

Brings to mind a old spoof that had barcodes on the ships hulls. :D I am definitely not here to re engineer how registries work just find it surprising they have still not put some sort of system to this where so many ships of various time frames jump all over. I would expect the Picard era stuff to be barley scraping the 90k numbers not surpassing it. YES 90k not 900k FFFFF oh-boy

I am fenced if I should put something behind the 9, so 97 vs 90. Idea was this was my take on the ENT G or a retro retake of the connie without cloning TNG era "details" ad hoc. But as all projects it turned into something else EXP as I at the core really wanted to fool with the design posted in another thread (backstept's) based on Admiral Buck's post-TNGified version of the saucer and neck of the shangri-la, a TMP era ship. I have since derived from that idea as well. Only using the neck ridge idea and a dumbed down version of his much more complex impulse. I think I tried too hard to force some arrangements that just did not work with the visual layout of the drawing. I might just revisit it later and try for a more exact replication of it.
    evil_genius_180Rory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJESsrspicer
    edited November 2023 #3227
    JES wrote: »
    Came on here just to post something I was working on, so forgive my not being up to date on everything here. The registry number kind of depends on whether or not you want to diverge from what DISC has done. There is no canon registry for the 2530s, where you say this design should be present. Personally, I think that the registry numbers would at least double from the 90000 range up to the 180000 range by the beginning of the 26th Century.

And I really like how you've merged the bussard collectors with the warp emitter strip. Very Neo Excelsior.

This is for Picard era ships so 2401ish. Ish, cause maybe this ship rolled out after that but within a few years of the show itself.

I like how you did the dark areas up top on the saucer. The dark color and geometric designs really make a nice contrast against the more rounded and lightly colored hull bits. It's a great look.
    Corrected registry. I might up the thousands number at some point.
    posttng-0229.jpg
    darnit saved the alpha so ignore the clipped white bits.
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
    edited November 2023 #3230
    I like how you did the dark areas up top on the saucer. The dark color and geometric designs really make a nice contrast against the more rounded and lightly colored hull bits. It's a great look.

It kinda helps hide the ugly hull plating. :O I really latched onto this styling from the Sov. It does help break up with might be a paneled up mess of single color. I am working to see what I can do about getting some of that blue teal stuff from the refit in there too. Part of why I am reconsidering the modern high metal finish look that trek has picked up for the more traditional flatter paint effect.

One thing that bugs me in some of the more recent work I have done is a loss of the style I had with say that IOWA ship the Jigoku and a few others in the details. Another reason (added to the rest) I started a new project is to see if "that" was gone. Stuff as mention has not been right since that flu. And well, sadly it seems some of that HAS gone. . . That or just getting OLD. . .oooof.
    evil_genius_180
    edited November 2023 #3231
    Pads and markings for the docking collars. I would expect much of the lighting would only be lit or revealed for approach. Then again all of this modern day stuff isnt even really used NOW let alone 400yrs in the future. It probably is all AI driven and using radar or some other method to realize distance to object tech.

sadly all lost to a breaker blowing, god I need to get out of this shithole house. 3 hours of work and 4 crashes of chamfering lost. Autoback which is set to every 30min was a turd as usual and saved 2hrs prior to my last save. go fig.

oh wow damn, heh crash took the render too so welp buh bye forever lol. Really odd too as I usually save before clicking render. The ONE time I dont. . . . . sigh

posttng-0232.jpg

yuck I might have to do a closer render of it or remove the glossy pad almost an hour and it still looks like puke. Oh forgot the red markers to denote the deck edge. But as mentioned above they probably dont need any of this crap, it is just visual junk for us viewers.

OK redid it all with slight changes to the decals, and prolly have to alter those changes some as it doesn't work on the material I have as the pad. Really just stole the pattern off that blue medical ship from Picard. All the ENT era airlocks all over that thing. It is another ship I kinda wanna model too. It has been on the list for ages. (well the eaves drawing of it) The idea of those shipping container looking blocks in the hull is a neat idea. Dunno how much sense it would make to have such a thing stowed like that but the idea of it in a larger implementation would be a neat visual vs stowing containers through a cargo bay door into a open area inside.

maybe I should include a image of it. . . .

not sure if this will work

s-s-eleos-xii-by-doug-drexler-v0-w8rdnrpqhula1.jpg?s=f1c95eb57f999a8d6c503a7194d6def8d870199d

it loads for me but that might be just cause the stupid thing is in my cache.

ashleytingerRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
    Finally got around to doing something with those vents or whatever between the turbolifts. Not the solution I wanted buit meh. Really tempted to delete the whole spine thing and be done with it.

posttng-0233.jpg
    posttng-0234.jpg
    oops applied the wrong room light mat in the dome.
    ashleytingerRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
  • LoopholeLoophole99 Posts: 68Member
    It's not a true late-TNG design until you add the black paneling, haha
    Standing among giants
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771390 PNWPosts: 761Member
    I almost read the ship's name as "U.S.S. Wheaton".

OR maybe not. . . a bit to tight for the ship name.
    posttng-0218.jpg
    eugh found more images with the Picard tag (eg canon) and one is 97XXX ffff

Rory1707
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited November 2023 #3235
    Well saucer is mostly one piece except the bottom hull. All rim edges are doubled too hopefully not to my regret in the location of it but we will see lol.
    Now time to decide what treatment I want to give the rim and how I want to panel these areas.

posttng-0235.jpg

posttng-0236.jpg

oops got sidetracked processing WEBB images, derp.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Rory1707JES
    Mapping out the lifeboat pits.

posttng-0237.jpg

hopefully I got the clearnace right so when I go to extrude it all in I wont have to redo it, I usually have to though FFF
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralRory1707JES
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser377 Posts: 58Member
    Here's a rarely used real-world name for it:

U.S.S Nonsuch

(A number of English/British ships used that name - last was a former German Zerstorer - Z-38.)
    evil_genius_180
    I don't know, I'm partial to the most recent name he has on the ship. :lol:
    StarCruiser
    Kinda disliking the outer lifeboat position so I am thinking of pushing them further out only issue is they do overlap the ones on the top some. I actually had them further out but they were exactly over the top ones. I have room for them to be there but it seems on most canon ships they avoid this top to bottom overlap.

posttng-0239.jpg
    posttng-0240.jpg
    posttng-0241.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorRory1707StarCruisersrspicerJES
    It's probably one of those things where people figure thrusters firing in opposite directions towards each other at the same time in the same spot is a bad thing. That's my best guess why they don't overlap escape pods for the top and bottom of the saucer. Like you, I try to avoid doing it as well.
  • JESJES408 Posts: 196Member
    JES wrote: »

This is for Picard era ships so 2401ish. Ish, cause maybe this ship rolled out after that but within a few years of the show itself.

I was just going off of what I read while quickly trying to catch up on this part of your thread. If it's the very early 25th Century, then the 90000 range is exactly where she should be.