Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    edited October 2023 #3122
    Hate to say it but squishing up the secondary seems to help. I really wanted a taller neck but. . . . Ignoring all the changes I did to things like struts and nacelles in an attempt to conform it to what I wanted.

oops that spine, I keep forgetting to hide it.

ok renders have to wait wile I fix max AGAIN. As seen in the image all the safe frames are offset in the viewport. Render the view and note the ships position relative to the dead space. Anyone know how to reset or correct this? I know I dealt with this ages ago but I cannot remember the fix. I am guessing one of the cats got up here or I weewahed some keys and do not remember. It wasnt like this last night.

posttng-0007.jpg

oh boy google is giving me everything but what I am looking for too T_T

well damn figured I could just delete this project and move on but it is something in MAX itself and not stored in the file. UGH.

OK figured out why, damned command panel is detached.. Max really needs to set UI locks lock rollups etc (yes I have UI lock on but the small interface parts are not locked) I am guessing it detached from a hotkey UGHHHHHHHHHHHH lol fuck
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Rory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Ok those renders, heh. I dunno, works in some ways not in others or looses the feel of the first renders.
    posttng-0012.jpg
    posttng-0013.jpg
    posttng-0014.jpg
    posttng-0015.jpg
    Rory1707ashleytingerLoopholeevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2069 Central OhioPosts: 1,264Member
    Love the lines on that version.
  • LoopholeLoophole99 Posts: 68Member
    Gorgeous streamlines. Those impulse engines remind me of the TMP shuttle (the one reused for the Sydney).
    publiusr
    Standing among giants
    The impulse came back cause I couldnt figure out how to get a shuttle into that area without massive gutting. Though having a bay that opens up right in the centerline of the saucer might be interesting. Would call for a large chomp out of the saucer though also would likely disrupt the funny thing I have going with the neck and lower saucer though.

posttng-0016.jpg
    posttng-0017.jpg
    posttng-0018.jpg
    posttng-0019.jpg
    posttng-0020.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    edited October 2023 #3127
    Could do a through bay on the neck like they do in Star Wars ships?

EDIT: was thinking around the neck but just registered you were talking about the saucer... *head desk*
    Post edited by ashleytinger on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    I like this design so far. I can definitely see a lot of the influences you mentioned that you used when designing her, but I can also see some things developing that let you know it's nothing less than a MKF original, which is always a good thing.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Hate to say it but squishing up the secondary seems to help. I really wanted a taller neck but. . . . Ignoring all the changes I did to things like struts and nacelles in an attempt to conform it to what I wanted.

oops that spine, I keep forgetting to hide it.

ok renders have to wait wile I fix max AGAIN. As seen in the image all the safe frames are offset in the viewport. Render the view and note the ships position relative to the dead space. Anyone know how to reset or correct this? I know I dealt with this ages ago but I cannot remember the fix. I am guessing one of the cats got up here or I weewahed some keys and do not remember. It wasnt like this last night.

posttng-0007.jpg

oh boy google is giving me everything but what I am looking for too T_T

well damn figured I could just delete this project and move on but it is something in MAX itself and not stored in the file. UGH.

OK figured out why, damned command panel is detached.. Max really needs to set UI locks lock rollups etc (yes I have UI lock on but the small interface parts are not locked) I am guessing it detached from a hotkey UGHHHHHHHHHHHH lol fuck

Ugh, it's always such a pain in the ass when you spend more time working on program weirdness than you do your project. At least you figured it out, but I feel your pain on that lost time.
    Rory1707StarCruiser
    Really rough shuttle bay probably use SOV like shutter doors so they compact as tight as possible to the hull to allow those Runabouts in there. Also some dodgy work on the impulse. Rest is all fine tuning of this or that but all still flux. Central hull on the saucer I detached a mess of bits to simplify the subdiv as having them unified is pointless as al it is doing is complicating other forms. Good example is there is a lot more geo under the saucer to avoid those subd distortions in flow.

posttng-0021.jpg

posttng-0022.jpg

posttng-0023.jpg

example of the neck object. It is tempting to do a inverse cut into the saucer vs piling on bulkheads as traditional and have the impulse in that channel cutting around the saucer. And yes I took all the rounding off so the object is a mess of smoothing groups for now so I can see what is doing what in renders. Still unsure of the direction I will take this part.

posttng-0024.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLoopholeRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    Hrmm thinking the deflector area is a bit of a letdown Maybe I need to approach it with something different but then I am most prone to traditional in deflectors vs slits or other funny shapes.

posttng-0025.jpg
    Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180publiusrcaveat_imperatorJES
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Your deflector shape is a circle… personally, I’ve always wanted to see a circular deflector in the style of Voyager’s deflector… I kinda wish they’d done that with the E, instead of the yellow thing we got. Anyway, just an idea.
    publiusr
    edited October 2023 #3132
    My original intent was to clone my squashed direct TV dish AKA Eave's rejected concept art. So it would have been a more dish shape set of panels floating in a backlit translucent area. (reason I represented it here as just a blue glow ring.)

I think styling I will be pulling more from the SOV and some of the Eave's STO concept work. Detail on any of the newer TV shows is a bit harder as everything in those is just all over the place. Leaning heavily on overbaked gaming textures and just noise vs any thought out styling.
    posttng-0026.jpg
    posttng-0027.jpg
    ATM this is what I have no real ryme or reason for any of the shapes atm. I mean that huge unused bit of hull???? lol Maybe a bank of torps or a huge radiated observation deck for the ensigns? Also ignore the sensor glow it is the impulse mat cause I ran out of room for materials in the editor. Why they change it to some messy scree wasting flowchart model and not add more slots to the editor than 24 slots. Everything else getting muddled into multimats in the mat picker. UGH. Maybe Ill drag that neck extension and have it grow over the upper part to break up that slab to form torp openings either side of it.

sample of the squish dish if people forgot what it looks like

jigoku-class-674.jpg
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralashleytingerPreVizLizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorJES
    And even more consideration, angled nacelles. Probably adds to the annoyance in modeling. . . . having to keep a reference instance to work on in the scene is a right pain. Such a simple change can have such a dramatic change in the dynamics of the object. Kinda like those go faster wings on cars I guess.

posttng-0028.jpg

posttng-0029.jpg

posttng-0030.jpg
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerLizzy777PreVizevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorJES
    edited October 2023 #3134
    The saucer cut out idea. I would probably need to cut the rim much wider to create more of a slope to the iner facing hull and properly align everything. (just hope atm I can revert lol) No real practical reason for it other than to create more window surface and a lot of shadow details.

posttng-0031.jpg
    posttng-0032.jpg

oops got carried away with something else and forgot to upload the pics. . . . . .

posttng-0033.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777PreVizevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    edited October 2023 #3135
    Impractical mechanically but worth a lark. Outside of fooling with the nacelles it is mostly small fine detail work on shapes aligning edges and refining loops. I am still unsure what I will do with the saucer. Leave it whole, cut into it, do that valley thing posted above or some other sillyness, or just be boring and do the expected. . . .

oh oddly the thing shrank to 1687ft 514m while I was abusing the nacelles and secondary hull. lol Had planned to keep it at 1800ish but oops.

posttng-0034.jpg

posttng-0035.jpg

posttng-0036.jpg
    posttng-0037.jpg

oh oops heh most are just close enough in angle to not matter sheesh lol. (excuse Im doing cat crap boxes and recycling between!)
    Lizzy777PreVizevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    I'm glad you seem to have abandoned the angled nacelles. I think it looks better with them straight. I also really like how you did the cutouts in the nacelles. I like both the shape and how it transitions from the bussards to the warp coil part.
    oh, oops forgot to post this, seems like my MO now. . sigh. Yeah, heh I just wrote out the post didnt even upload the images.

More refinements to the neck bits below the impulse to have it make more sense and not be a blob of subdiv.

posttng-0041.jpg

posttng-0042.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777Rory1707StarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
  • rojrenrojren2421 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,994Member
    I really like the nacelles. They have a distinct shark-like feel.
    I'm glad you seem to have abandoned the angled nacelles. I think it looks better with them straight. I also really like how you did the cutouts in the nacelles. I like both the shape and how it transitions from the bussards to the warp coil part.

Sadly the gradient wont stay It was just me goofing around. I likely will do something TMP like on the tops of the nacelles that dip down. BUT if I keep the slit thing what I might do is a inlet grill separating the bussards and warp coils so it'll at a distance just darken off then transition to the blue. hrmmmm
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiral
    edited October 2023 #3140
    I am still kinda hung up on the strut wrap around thing but I dunno, just doesnt work as imagined with the vertical nacelles, they sorta need to be at a similar angle to the struts so I might have to give it up. I do like the idea of a stepped slit thing so I can put the plasma vents in there or just a mess of little lightbulbs.

posttng-0044.jpg

editing this in cause I just posted.

I keep forgetting to hide or just delete this thing so I figured Id see how it looks as a detail on the ship. Dunno lol.

posttng-0045.jpg

I probably should just do some paintovers but not willing to see if Zoe broke the tablet or not and too lazy to dig the cintiq out and transfer the files over. (different pc and cant network off this old ver of win10)
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Rory1707StarCruiserpubliusrcaveat_imperatorJES
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    edited October 2023 #3141
    I love the leaping cheetah look.

Sensor domes are a similar affair just more games with different glow bits and junk behind various domes etc. Kinda depends on the era of ship as well.

destroyer-096.jpg

I have often wondered if that sensor box North-South/East-West can be added to… like a ziggurat.

Right above the sensor, you have three sets of side by side torpedo launchers right above the sensor boxes.

Post edited by publiusr on
    Rory1707srspicer
    publiusr wrote: »
    I love the leaping cheetah look.

Sensor domes are a similar affair just more games with different glow bits and junk behind various domes etc. Kinda depends on the era of ship as well.

destroyer-096.jpg

I have often wondered if that sensor box North-South/East-West can be added to… like a ziggurat.

Right above the sensor, you have three sets of side by side torpedo launchers right above the sensor boxes.

Issue is every time you fire a torpedo you'll be sensor blind or replacing all the delicate sensor apparatus every time you shoot a volly of torps off.

I really dislike sensor located phasers or torps as the high energy being expelled from them would just overwhelm everything from emissions alone. Reason I have never accepted the dingus on the connie or placed weapons systems on or near such stuff.

Space would possible be an issue too as if you mean UP as in towards the saucers centrerline the angle of the hull looses a lot of depth really fast. It is the reason I always struggle to place such weapons in the saucer itself. I often have to place part of the alteration tube on the outside of the hull to not have huge impractical scalloped cutouts in the hull. It might work on a more spherical hull like a Daedalus style crew hull. As for anything below (as in stacked on top of the sensor cowling) there would absolutely be no room for anything there.
    ashleytingercaveat_imperatorJES
    Working at rebuilding the nacelles so they are not a nightmare of detached parts and other funk. Example, the tops angle change occurred at the glow point so it made for uneven ledge down the length of the nacelle. I also just need to come to terms with the strut thing and give up on the wrap around as it just is not working for the design of the nacelles as they are.

posttng-0047.jpg
    posttng-0048.jpg
    posttng-0049.jpg
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruisercaveat_imperatorJES
    Rough idea for throwback bussards but I feel like they stop too soon maybe I should have them go way back into the nacelle and instead of mirroring the curve end in a V with a inset groove. Like it was cowled over.

posttng-0050.jpg
    well ok, held off posting to just post the idea.

posttng-0052.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruisercaveat_imperatorJES
    I really like the second one.
    Rory1707publiusr
    I really like the second one.

Same.
    Rory1707publiusr
    Messing with the glow line. I have yet to hollow out the housing so it is mostly reflected surfacing. Maybe the transition site is a bit too far down and should be shortened more towards the red bit.

posttng-0056.jpg
    posttng-0057.jpg
    posttng-0058.jpg
    posttng-0059.jpg
    BolianAdmiralStarCruiserbloknayrbRory1707evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    Hollowed out and internal guts except the bussards. Dunno

posttng-0061.jpg

posttng-0062.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserashleytingercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    It is a ship made of brush strokes, it seems.

Albacore is as solid as a neutron star.
    This ship is a gazelle’s motion blur…I love it.
    That nacelle design is sweet. I like seeing the glowy bits coming together.
    edited October 2023 #3151
    Thanks guys >_>

Update with a go at using something else other than balls with red lum on. I also keep dithering between settings on the bussard glass material. More transparent or full on translucent. ATM the nacelle is hollowed out into semi rooms with elements in an attempt to create a gradient in the lum lighting. (it isnt really working out)
    Render shows one complete nacelle and one with just the guts. (mostly so I can see wtf I am doing in the near nacelle as I model. lol)

posttng-0065.jpg

Oh, I do plan to try to rib the warp grills so that might add more detail to the visuals.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Rory1707caveat_imperatorStarCruisersrspicerJES