Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    ok that is done now back to the underside of the struts.

emissary-0924.jpg
    emissary-0925.jpg

I love how different yet fitting this ship is. Also everything is so cleanly done!
    Rory1707Lizzy777PreVizAtolm
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9839 Posts: 5,334Member
    Erm a bit too much going on. So this didnt stay for long.
    emissary-0930.jpg
    So, decided to just go back to one panel. Idea is it pops out and slides forward. hence the yellow keep out markings. Ill move a few panels to the sides I think as those will read better as stuff on the bottom here more often will be in shadow and result in just a mess of blotchy things. I might just do away with some of the markings in the end. Added some spots to make things pop a bit more.
    emissary-0932.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707PreVizevil_genius_180wibblesrspicerLizzy777Atolm
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    I like it.
    Some test renders for the grid work.

emissary-0933.jpg

emissary-0934.jpg

Now to chopping it up then unifying them to the existing work. (have not forgotten that I do ned to do this elsewher eon the model, lots of remerging and welding too.
    BolianAdmiralRory1707PreVizevil_genius_180wibbleLizzy777Atolmpubliusr
    Distracted, heh.

emissary-0935.jpg
    hdri on
    emissary-0936.jpg

since I had the lights off I figured I should recheck the lower reg to make sure the gizmos are lighting it how I expect it to.
    emissary-0937.jpg

NOW for the proper update.
    More under strut work mostly blocking in colors and panels. The rear green ones will likely get recut to better match what is on the other side. (fat gaps just are not working not to mention the color.) I will probably just go with shades of gray and the hull blue vs any color blocking. Ugh lol multiple re-renders cause IPR does not show the disc clipping that occurs on the vray lights.

emissary-0940.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180PreVizsrspicerLizzy777wibbleAtolm
    That looks great… awesome to also see it in darkness with just the lights.
    edited October 2023 #3098
    I’m actually surprised that the blue glow from the nacelles isn’t more intense in the dark image… considering that they’re kinda facing the hull. Not that I’m complaining… I doubt the crewmen living in that area want it any more intense, lol… just kinda surprised.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Some of it is the diffusion of the warp grills, but it is also that dark blue and I do not think I have the lum setting all that high. I have noticed though sometimes light transmission through translucent/transparent objects is not what would be expected. Just clear glass seems to half the emission power. But there are times I see the room lights pushing a lot of light through the window glass so I dunno. Someday il do a study to see how settings on transparent/translucent materials and object shape affects the lum lighting. ATM I just set things up to look how I want for X or Y. Just not motivated a lot anymore to target exact realism of X power should transmit Y emissions through Z object. I think some of us use lum materials in ways the creators probably never intended.
    emissary-0941.jpg

Here is a quick half render with the grills off. Seems like a lot more is spilling out what gets me is how little the cyan lum mats are even present in the renders. (I have a lot of it on the coils to create hotspots in the grills but they seem to bleh away when positioned on the model)

emissary-0942.jpg
    BolianAdmiralPreVizevil_genius_180srspicerStarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777Rory1707wibbleAtolmand 1 other.
    Grids in.

emissary-0945.jpg

sheesh copying url hung the entire system lol.
    StarCruiserLizzy777BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180wibblecaveat_imperator
    Ok might be done here, any more and itll get over detailed. Slowly merging panels together so all the little smoothing gaps are slowly going away but boy it is making for some complicated shapes that make these focused renders. I also need to go around weeding out reference objects such as deck height markers or pattern blocks. You can see on ein the renders inside one of the windows. Big old pink box. I might change the stripes materials, least the pairing of the darker edging and lighter body.

emissary-0948.jpg

emissary-0949.jpg
    I really wanna drab down those blue panels
    emissary-0950.jpg

Here is a good example of a single object, there re some floating bits I probably can detach as a unique object as they have no real smoothing cross over to anything next to them.

emissary-0947.jpg
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiralRory1707ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180wibbleAtolmcaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    edited October 2023 #3102
    Working on the larger right of way lights.

emissary-0952.jpg

(edit) red and green, maybe need more color in the glass.

emissary-0953.jpg
    only light from the bulbs themselves.
    emissary-0954.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Rory1707StarCruiserPreVizashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralMustang13Camaro68wibbleAtolmand 2 others.
    placed on the ship.

emissary-0955.jpg
    emissary-0956.jpg
    emissary-0957.jpg
    StarCruiserPreVizashleytingerLizzy777backsteptevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralRory1707wibbleAtolmand 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited October 2023 #3104
    Wow, so much great stuff. I love how you did the grids on the struts. The teal strip down the middle gives me slight Enterprise refit vibes. I love it when designers work in callbacks to earlier ships in their designs. And those marker lights are really cool. They make me think I need to step up my game when I model that kind of light. Though, it wouldn't be the first time I've done things based on your work. I'm relatively certain you're the reason I do sensor domes and innards the way I do and I know for sure you influenced how I do warp nacelle innards.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    BolianAdmiral
    Thanks, I try to integrate little details I like from other eras to give a feeling of family relation with what that has come before. Or in some cases of what will come later in the case of shows like Star Trek where we can so a TOS ship and hint as precursor stuff.

Most of my lighting least the non organic styles are all inspired by old naval and sea coast lights all those huge bulbs and housings. Rendering tools that sorta replicate light or how glowing things work helps a lot even if they are not perfect.

Updates are mostly not any major changes mostly housekeeping such as placing all the marker lights onto their own layer. Only a bit of cutting to add some patterns or grouping lifeboats to mirror them to the other side and small panel work such as those 2 pink rectangles that have been on the hull for ages are no a set of panels.

emissary-0960.jpg

oh also a breakdown of the "right of way" bulb geo. Ribs are on the interior of the glass dome. Some added silliness to add some visual detail or "junk" in the bulb. I use a white lum mat and tint the glass to try to get the hotspot you see in real bulbs. I still often have alter things in post though.

emissary-0959.png
    BolianAdmiralPreVizRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerLizzy777wibble
    I love the detail on/in those marker lights… they look awesome!
  • Rory1707Rory1707235 Posts: 240Member
    Love it! Awesome job as usual!
    edited October 2023 #3108
    Wow, so much great stuff. I love how you did the grids on the struts. The teal strip down the middle gives me slight Enterprise refit vibes. I love it when designers work in callbacks to earlier ships in their designs. And those marker lights are really cool. They make me think I need to step up my game when I model that kind of light. Though, it wouldn't be the first time I've done things based on your work. I'm relatively certain you're the reason I do sensor domes and innards the way I do and I know for sure you influenced how I do warp nacelle innards.

Now I want to try and find where he posted how he does sensor domes and warp coils... Mine are probably pretty crude in comparison, just using basic shapes to mimic the internal structures.

@MadKoiFish do you cut your grid using one big Boolean??
    Post edited by bloknayrb on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    bloknayrb wrote: »
    Now I want to try and find where he posted how he does sensor domes and warp coils... Mine are probably pretty crude in comparison, just using basic shapes to mimic the internal structures.

@MadKoiFish do you cut your grid using one big Boolean??

He's definitely shown the inner workings of that stuff before, but the thread has over 100 pages, so it's a lot to look through. But, if you find it, they're definitely worth the search because he does a drool worthy level of detail on everything.
    edited October 2023 #3110
    I build them like one would a physical model. My wip blog might have wip image sbut this thread is probably the best as I forget to update the blog or images are all over various WP accounts.
    The grids and panels are all often hand cut. Some times I will bridge edges etc. The only thing I do keep in mind is to nevber cut a grid on an existing edge. If that edge does not deform geometry I will use it, BUT if it does though I will do everything I can to avoid it as it causes smoothing errors or "pinches"

Boolean I usually save that for stenciling registries or windows, simple stuff or annoying things (text yuck). I will though detach those faces needing cutting so the boolean does not fuck with existing geometry. Granted you will have to account for your program of choices quirks.

here is a no nacelle housing of the inside of a nacelle, rudimentry warp coils with a lum applied bar object for the plasma flow, in the image the warp grids are a flat color but usualy are physical objects with a translucent material often tinted depending on effect. Vray for example cannot do lum objects with a different "surface" color unlike mental ray so I have to sorta fake the glow vs cast light by tinting the grills.

jigoku-class-523.jpg

Not really clear here but the nacelle housing is hollowed out to create a chamber for the glows and warp coils to "live" in. Note the lum material should cast rays/particles/photons (light) to properly work. Also depends on your prog how well that light/lum will propagate through the glass materials.

housing
    jigoku-class-511.jpg
    jigoku-class-542.jpg

results.
    jigoku-class-537.jpg
    jigoku-class-634.jpg

Sensor domes are a similar affair just more games with different glow bits and junk behind various domes etc. Kinda depends on the era of ship as well.

miranda-vray-005.jpg
    destroyer-096.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicerLizzy777wibble
    Ah, I see. I do something similar, just far less detailed:
    zaaj01xpsys7.png
    lotiq24mw7ea.png

I'm a bit confused about this:
    emissary-0896.jpg

What is the object that I'm looking at here? Your panel lines seem to be recessed, but that looks like it would be raised?
    StarCruiserRory1707PreViz
    Those are all the panel recesses.
    emissary-0962.png

When I map them out they are just stencils on the hull. EG black lines I later bevel and extrude them in. Most models I can do them in segment this one though was a lot of them at once and or patching in ones as I planned badly or there was just no other way.
    Rory1707evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserPreVizLizzy777
    Ohhh, ok, that was just how you were showing what you were doing. Got it. Thanks!
    One small question and one small idea/request…

What is the area circled in yellow illuminating? You have lights there, but I don’t see any form of markings or anything. The lights aren’t directly illuminating the cargo bay doors, so I’m just wondering what they’re lighting? Do you have plans for markings there?

Also, I’m wondering if it might be good to put just the NCC number on the pylons, where I’ve marked in red, like how the D has it there as well? What do you think?

qrdam3b9qe2i.jpeg
    StarCruiser
    Lights; I forget what those are there for other than just ship lighting.

Ship Reg in that location might work. I had thought of the nacelle but the pennant is so narrow so just a black NCC - 99026 there would work.

AH the light was to light a cargo door panel thing that is in the original drawing.

emissary-0965.png
    emissary-0966.png
    Also seeing something missing there too, should be 2 round greebs not one in that pocket. Either way ship lighting outside of reg is just temp as I decide how Ill do it or set it up.

small update, just details for the right of way lighting. lol
    emissary-0964.jpg
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralPreVizLizzy777StarCruiserRory1707ashleytingercaveat_imperatorwibble
    Ah, ok, cool… yeah, I guess it’s good to have those hatches lit.
    Bit of a pita as there is a taper to the struts so I had to remote rotate the text to align. (wanted to avoid cutting it from the hull.

emissary-0967.jpg
    emissary-0968.jpg
    emissary-0969.jpg
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerRory1707StarCruiserevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorsrspicerwibble
    I like the way that looks. 👍🏼
    Decided to take a bit of a break today to foll with subdiv.

A bit of a riff on the suggested upper saucer for the "titan a" And a few ideas and lines from the 05 films And a dosing of random things from here and the net at large. Roughly what I think or would have wanted to see as a 120ys later neo-connie or nostalgia ship.

There is a lot Im picturing atm but needs time to work into it and still retain free form for me to change my mind. I doubt this will go much further than messing about, least for now.

only things I like atm are the upper secondary strut locations (plans are for them to come off the hull as a single object.) Bits of the neck ans saucer profile. Shuttle for scale, ship is about 575m or 1890ft.

I kinda want to turn what I have as impulse into shuttle bays instead and stick the impulse as a central nozzle thing in the upper neck. I also still kinda want to just model that concept sketch as is too. DEF rusty as hell though. . . . lol

posttng-0001.jpg
    posttng-0002.jpg
    posttng-0004.jpg
    posttng-0005.jpg
    only thing, she is BUT% UGLY at any long shots from the top, too much like a 80s US car too much length for the width.

oooof just ooof.
    posttng-0003.jpg
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorLoopholeStarCruiserpubliusrsrspicerJES
    It kind of looks like it's leaping forward. I like a lot of things about it, but it does feel slightly unbalanced, maybe?
    Rekkert
    I’m digging the look of the secondary hull and neck in particular.
    publiusr