Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Beautiful work on the shuttlebay doors and deck! Just out of random curiosity, how many polys is this ship weighing in at right now?
    BolianAdmiral
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    roughly 1.6million polies. This does include some figure models but lacks the mirrored parts of the bay so should equal out.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    roughly 1.6million polies.
    Wow, that's impressive modelling efficiency, considering all the details you've already got on this model.
    Importing these in from one of my resource files. Tempted though to redo the materials to the files materials.

emissary-0853.jpg

emissary-0854.jpg
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707PreVizLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Should have waited to post to show the side sensors too.
    emissary-0855.jpg

The long slow will be replacing the materials to unify the file.
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707PreVizLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
    oops forgot to upload images and hit post again lol

Random renders. I guess I should quit avoiding the RCS and get to those and start extruding out all the hull grids. The ones that are decaled really show up in renders lately. Also have to complete some of the ones on the back of the ship too.
    emissary-0856.jpg
    emissary-0857.jpg
    emissary-0858.jpg
    emissary-0859.jpg
    BolianAdmiralStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707PreVizLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperatorsrspicer
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    edited September 2023 #3038
    emissary-0858.jpg

This is an awesome shot.

That front edge is pretty bare… I’m wondering if maybe a central docking port/airlock would be good to put there, at the very front? IDK… just seems like a lot of empty space. I know it’s like that on the drawing. Kinda why I’m thinking airlock… it’d put something there, without seriously altering the look, like a sensor band would, and be the same color as the hull. IDK… what do you think?
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Rory1707publiusr
    Plan was to break it up some with mapping and panel decals, sort of how I broke up the nacelles or the larger panels elsewhere on the ship. I am lacking some of the panels lines in this area too. There are a lot of elements that require other areas to be defined and these panels are one of the things that had to wait. I am not a big fan of sensors on a flat face of a ship. A docking collar might do ok but thickness is pushing it on the lower hull.

screen cap to show how a fwd docking collar might look. Of course it would be inset and have voy like ship name and registry flanking it.

emissary-0860.png

got a lot of little things i have to go over from front to back to verify I have done them or to mark them as needing doing. I also really really gotta get to reworking the warp glows too. Be it modeling in coils or altering lighting objects inside.

BolianAdmiralStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777
    That looks okay… looks like it takes roughly as much height on the rim as the port did on the TMP ship’s saucer. It’s your call… whatever you think looks or works best.
    edited September 2023 #3041
    Here is that area broken up with the panel lines and the docking collar installed.

emissary-0861.jpg

emissary-0862.jpg

KIM panel gaps will tighten up when extruded.

Quickie after weeding out all the unextruded hull grids.

emissary-0863.jpg
    emissary-0864.jpg
    emissary-0865.jpg

thought there were more than this.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    publiusrStarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorRory1707
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804571 Posts: 11,177Member
    The docking port up front is a nice touch.
    Some sub decals and ship name decals etc. Might need to bump the light gizmos further out a bit to start the light a bit sooner than it does.
    emissary-0868.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777PreVizwibblesrspicer
    Oh, I like that!
  • Rory1707Rory1707240 Posts: 242Member
    Awesome!
    edited September 2023 #3046
    Full ship render I sent out before dinner.

emissary-0869.jpg

man gonna need to find a new quick image editor and file converter with a good jpg codec, PSP7.2 is just giving up the ghost too often on this win10 build, that or move off this ESR build for as plain pro version.

sad thing is everything I have seen so far is so bloated slow or clunky vs the good ole PSP7 lol
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
  • kedawerxkedawerx3 Posts: 4Member
    This looks great!

Since there are a few departures from the concept artwork, will the ship be getting a "hero" registry?
    It will. Atolm doesn’t include markings on his illustrations.
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68357 DetroitPosts: 171Member
    man gonna need to find a new quick image editor and file converter with a good jpg codec, PSP7.2 is just giving up the ghost too often on this win10 build, that or move off this ESR build for as plain pro version.

Have you tried Photopea or Affinity photo? I get by with Affinity, but it's not Photoshop...
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    edited September 2023 #3050
    nah one is something I wont touch other wont run on this version of win10. SO far sadly it looks like I will need to use multiple apps to do what I want. Mostly want a super light weight self contained app to convert jps. browse files and use for reference viewing. (and some mass batch processing) (basically psp7.2) Oh a real nice to have would be PS plug in compatibility.

In the end though I will still have to wipe this system at some point to get onto 20h1. Win10 is way WAY too segmented. Still need to find solutions cause well psp7 is from 1997 so I am just really lucky I could keep that workflow for so long.

Update is another one that I kept forgetting to upload or kept making changes so it never made it to a post.

I decided since this hatch is more than likely a docking ring for a station than any smaller craft that I aught to add some conformation grippers or mag arms. SO, we have little hatches that would contain some arms that could move out and grab onto or maglock to a larger craft or station. I will need to add all the filler and other connector ports (mostly decals) that are seen most clearly on the VOYAGER studio model. It will be a bit of a pinch to find a location as much of the ships detailing gets in the way of just carbon copying the details off the VOY.
    emissary-0872.jpg

SHIP REG, that is something I sorta put off on this ship as there is so much detail that gets in the way or divides things up. So it can be configured like the docking port is with ship name on the left in a arc and on the right side the registry number.
    emissary-0874.jpg
    KIM it will be manually placed text vs warped to a curve and be in the traditional drk blue with white and red outlines. Given the ship name placement it will follow that same style too. Least that is the plan. Lower hull should flow over details without too much pain and will follow the traditional layout.

quick edit for the lower reg example

emissary-0875.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerStarCruiserBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rory1707wibblecaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Quick tests of some warp coil elements in the nacelles. This is using the master object for the nacelles so there are likely missing parts or stuff that look off. All I am caring about atm is what is showing through the warp grill material.

emissary-0876.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777PreVizwibblecaveat_imperator
    Nice… I like the gripper arm hatches, and registry looks like it should work. Warp lights look great… nice to see that there’s actual stuff behind the grilles.
    I like the name and registry for the top, that looks cool. Having both on either side would be overkill, so I like how you split them up. And, of course, the bottom registry looks good too. I love the nacelle design and how everything looks lit up.
    I decided since this hatch is more than likely a docking ring for a station than any smaller craft that I aught to add some conformation grippers or mag arms. SO, we have little hatches that would contain some arms that could move out and grab onto or maglock to a larger craft or station. I will need to add all the filler and other connector ports (mostly decals) that are seen most clearly on the VOYAGER studio model. It will be a bit of a pinch to find a location as much of the ships detailing gets in the way of just carbon copying the details off the VOY.

It's that amount of thought and detail that puts your work on a different level.
    BolianAdmiral
    Another post delayed by sleep, ended up closing max by accident while doing the renders and I was just too tired to reopen and wait for it to settle to do the rest of the renders.

Hrm I am a bit disappointed the lighter bits do not show as much when in the nacelles fitted to the ship itself. Do wonder why the master object renders one way and the ones on the ship render differently. Maybe the angle I dunno have to play about and do a quick materials check. Either way still better than what was there before.

emissary-0878.jpg

emissary-0879.jpg

and a render of the bits inside not much of it communicates through but eh.

emissary-0877.jpg
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralRory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777PreVizwibblecaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Beautiful.
    Those little fill port things or hard wire taps or whatever they are. The ones on the voyager are really super close to the lip, but here they work as I have so much buffer between the port and the bottom of the ship but I might move things about say put them behind the marker light. Speaking of I might alter these or try a higher lum mat, or use a hidden emitter to boost the spill. Vray seems to treat any mesh in front or covering a lum object as a opaque blocker or nearly opaque. Granted most of these lights always clip in post and are a right pain. SO I might leave them dim and let them be in any post compositing for ship lights.

emissary-0880.jpg
    BolianAdmirallennier1evil_genius_180Rory1707Mustang13Camaro68StarCruiserLizzy777PreVizwibblecaveat_imperator
    side port markings.
    emissary-0881.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralRory1707Mustang13Camaro68StarCruiserLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryPreVizwibbleand 2 others.
    Render of the cloned off shuttle bay, still have to correct the 2 object so it isn't outlined but in the proper shape.

emissary-0883.jpg
    bay 2 is unlit as I have not decided on how lit it should be and if I want to stick to a white light or yellow it out to a much warmer tone.

emissary-0884.jpg
    seanrBolianAdmiralRory1707Mustang13Camaro68evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777PreVizwibblecaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
    Lots of deleting and in the end decided to just replicate the nacelle RCS shape. For the grill detail I might deform the internals so it has a more quad set up. There will be more "stuff" in the yellow area as well.

emissary-0887.jpg
    emissary-0888.jpg

Almost tempted to delete it all patch the grids and divide these so there is a top and bottom yellow area vs this large massive socket. Mostly because everything I have done is just too messy (visually) or just huge.

Here is the NOPE image. . . lol I mean it has been a shit day so maybe I should just put it off and come back to this later. Another though was to copycat the ideas from the refit 4 openings in the corners. Does not help one of the rcs units has that viewport cut bug where it'll lock up the mesh or refuse to cut freely. Anyhow this image was just me copying the VOYAGER rcs but inset nozzles over the funky extruded out ones.
    emissary-0886.jpg

Rory1707Warp Propulsion Laboratoryashleytingerevil_genius_180PreVizBolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerand 1 other.
    I actually like the 2 opening RCS thrusters that you had already, but I understand experimenting with different things. Though, you're braver than me, I usually just delete my dud ideas instead of posting them. :lol:
    Looking at the length and side of the ship, I’m wondering if there is any plan for like a long Starfleet pennant along the side, like the 1701-E and Voyager have? IDK if it’d look too busy, or even if there’d be room for it. Sorry… not at all trying to make more work or headaches for you… just thinking about stuff, lol.