Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I always love the amount of thought you put into details like this. Most of us just slap a bay on the back and call it done, but you go deep into the design and how it operates. That's cool.

It's always good to make sure things like doors have the proper clearance to operate. After all, you don't want to have something like Adama's quarters on the original BSG, where the door to his room opens into the outer skin of the ship and would actually stick out into space. :lol:
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9831 Posts: 5,332Member
    edited July 2023 #2943
    The resulting hole. KIM I have plating and other stuff to do around it so it wont be so plain.

jigoku-class-679.jpg

bay opening render in progress

hahah ok not much to see really with flat walls and no real stuff in there FFF

jigoku-class-680.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180wibbleRory1707PreVizLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited July 2023 #2944
    I always love the amount of thought you put into details like this. Most of us just slap a bay on the back and call it done, but you go deep into the design and how it operates. That's cool.

It's always good to make sure things like doors have the proper clearance to operate. After all, you don't want to have something like Adama's quarters on the original BSG, where the door to his room opens into the outer skin of the ship and would actually stick out into space. :lol:

Yeah a lot of scifi has done this stuffing things where it cant fit or would be a bit wonk. Kinda like that transit train Kirk is on in TMP, slides right up against a flat wall. Man it has been ages since I saw the OG BSG. Fond memories of watching one of the specials up at my Grandfathers place after CHIPS. <snip edit> why the angy emote lol
    evil_genius_180
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Yeah a lot of scifi has done this stuffing things where it cant fit or would be a bit wonk. Kinda like that transit train Kirk is on in TMP, slides right up against a flat wall. Man it has been ages since I saw the OG BSG. Fond memories of watching one of the specials up at my Grandfathers place after CHIPS. <snip edit> why the angy emote lol

The emote is supposed to be laughing. I literally typed lol inside of two colons.

Man, CHIPS. Talk about a show I haven't seen in ages. I have both BSG series, though. Those were must haves for me. Great point about the tram in TMP. Now that you mention it, the travel pod doesn't seem like it has anywhere for the doors to go either. Same with Spock's shuttle.
    edited July 2023 #2946
    Ah I edited the txt that had the angy emote ---> >_< this one I use the text as a aughhh or dough face but here I forget it is a angy face lol.

ah that one is a creative intent, the doors go into the ships docking collar. There is a illustration showing how it works in scotts guide, I think. . or one of the other books.

cant find it it was part of this image set I think
    probert-docking-ring-01.jpg

man I think is becoming my catchphrase, issues of a addled brain.

ok this is close as it gets for now
    https://thirdwavedesigndotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/kimble-sheet-14-250ppi.jpg
    same wp page . It just denotes the doors but there IS a image somewhere online and on my hdd of how it locks into the hull this also hardpoints the pod to the hull as the doors only open partially so it fixes the pod onto the ship. Bit of an issue if it jambs lol. It is one of the things i always loved about trek is all these small details that really mean little to a casual viewer or to the scene the thing is in.
    Rory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserPreVizLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It makes sense, as it's intended to only dock with that kind of port.
    Put some stuff into the cargo bay for visual junk. . . dunno why lol.

jigoku-class-682.jpg

jigoku-class-683.jpg
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180wibbleRory1707ashleytingercaveat_imperatorLeoBerlin
    Doing a more modern lighting job, just really dunno how good blue light is for night blind, usually used red or purple (pre-led black light) when wanting to see mixing decks in clubs and not have it seen by the customer, but ehh. Dimming it with the idea of not smashing eyeballs with full bay lighting in the entry of the bay. Granted all of this would likely be all guidance control and shuttle windows would have dimmers polorizers and all that crap in them. But w/e

jigoku-class-684.jpg
    inner guts
    mis external renders showing the entrance changes
    jigoku-class-685.jpg
    jigoku-class-686.jpg
    jigoku-class-687.jpg
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777Billynom8ashleytingerrojrensrspicerPreVizand 1 other.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Put some stuff into the cargo bay for visual junk. . . dunno why lol.

Why? Because it's what you do, and we love that you do it. :)

I definitely like that lighting that you chose for the entrance. A nice cool white is always a good choice. I'm not sure on the whole night vision thing either. I only remember from when I was in the Army that red doesn't mess up your night vision. I forget which other light colors were more forgiving to night vision.
    I have heard that green gives a lot of depth perception hence why stereo night vision is green and hunters use green lasers defocused as spot lights over red. But, shrug lol.

Render I left overnight and it is still rendering oooof. 12hrs it wanted from what the menu said nope so heh 11hrs. I definitely need to build in the light fixtures vs just glowing boxes. Oh yeah I added some detail on the frames, I am not sure if I will keep it or not.

Well shoot some 9 or 10hrs later I get around to posting this.

jigoku-class-688.jpg

atm I have dome some surface texturing (mostly just panels) and added something I hope will pass as lighting in that landing zone. Real ugh will be floor markings etc and then modeling door tracks and other crap. Granted I should just MOVE ON as I got what I needed out of the stupid bay.

evil_genius_180ashleytingerRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777PreVizcaveat_imperator
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Shorter wavelengths are easier on night vision as they're not as harsh on the eyes. Usually red or green.
    edited July 2023 #2953
    bay with proper light fixtures vs floating glow blocks. Likely redo the panel grooves for something narrower.

jigoku-class-689.jpg

Lower bits. Debating on if I should inset the bay like on the Excelsior or not, or just make it s bay door of some sort.
    jigoku-class-693.jpg
    Might do up the lower shuttle by like I did the aft one. Dunno as mentioned no real plans to utilize it.

not much progress, spent most of the day cleaning my room up to wrestle out a dead AC and put a new one in.
    rojrenStarCruiserRory1707SCE2Auxevil_genius_180wibbleLizzy777P5ych0p4thPreVizcaveat_imperator
    edited August 2023 #2954
    Start of the panels and panel planning. Still unsure if I will hollow out that lower bay or just make it a door inset like the upper shuttle panel.

jigoku-class-695.jpg
    jigoku-class-696.jpg
    render of proper blue on the "shield" barrier.

jigoku-class-697.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707PreVizcaveat_imperatorwibble
    Dug out a hole for workbee stowage. Not much else for room as the warp core is 12ft behind. was going to do banks of 6 but decided 4 or a total of 8 bees should be plenty for a ship this size. I mean they could have more in cargo or they could replicator them up as this IS a post VOY/NEM ship.

jigoku-class-699.jpg

jigoku-class-700.jpg

I have a bunch of details to go like some peep windows flanking the hole and some that look sideways in those triangle locations. Door would be a rolly deal in front of the first bulkhead.
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thashleytingerRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777PreVizcaveat_imperatorwibble
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1116 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    Sweet drop-bay.
    Observation ports and some details.

jigoku-class-702.jpg

jigoku-class-703.jpg
    rojrenashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180cool65Lizzy777Rory1707PreVizcaveat_imperatorwibbleand 1 other.
    Have not heard from Doug so gonna go back to this project. One row of holes in another to go and interiors then figuring out what is next. Given the issues I had with the AO shader I will likely rip it out of this mesh too, given surfacing probably wont survive any conversions etc.

emissary-0772.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777StarCruiserBolianAdmiral
    Upper windows in and found some nasty mesh errors. They wernt there before so I gotta figure out wtf happened.

emissary-0773.jpg

emissary-0774.jpg

PreVizashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707publiusrBolianAdmiral
    Fixed

emissary-0776.jpg

well mostly as rest are errors due to detached bits.
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rory1707publiusrBolianAdmiral
    edited August 2023 #2961
    Lower interiors in. Well were in yesterday but w/e

emissary-0778.jpg

emissary-0779.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180PreVizRory1707caveat_imperatorcool65publiusrBolianAdmiral
    edited August 2023 #2962
    This is a sweet looking ship. I feel like, if they'd had the budget to build new models instead of having to use old ones, this could easily have replaced the Miranda class in the fleet. The way the hull flows into the roll bar really fits great with the flowing lines of the Enterprise-D.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    publiusrBolianAdmiral
    Kinda funny how windows on the smaller ship were tollerable but this they are AUGH. heh. Maybe cause the smaller ships they are on various levels and positions so it isnt like 30 rooms in a row. I really hate to say it but so wanting to redo this model to eliminate some of these ooofs in the shapes and model to suit positioning of details over profile form.

Anyhow with this I think most of the windows and rooms are in. There are a few key areas yet to do but I will go at those as I come to them. I also am likely to redo the arboretum or whatever windows, they are to flimsy looking and just do not work for me.

all interior rooms. No UVWs yet (yuck) as I am not sure which int to use or if I should.
    emissary-0780.jpg

emissary-0781.jpg

PreVizashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorLizzy777BolianAdmiralsrspicer
    Ugh, big ships with big interiors. I feel your pain.
    Not too large of a ship but girth lots of volume in her.

While not on level with each other a render showing it nextish to the Jogoku.

emissary-0782a.jpg

Still think I need to adjust these colors on the hull as they are just so similar in value they just go flat in renders.
    Rory1707PreVizevil_genius_180Lizzy777SCE2AuxashleytingerStarCruiserwibblecaveat_imperatorpubliusrand 1 other.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Gosh that is just gorgeous, amazing ships!!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann633 Posts: 1,289Member
    Seeing it alongside another ship really helps bring out the strange beauty of this design. Reminds me of a mix between a whale and a manta ray.
    publiusr
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1116 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    These are some outstanding updates and renders!
    edited August 2023 #2969
    Ugh issue of multiple keyboards and single button hotkeys.
    orgin-bs.jpg
    dashedlinebs.jpg

God forbid if I had cats that walked on keyboards.

OK I think I found it even though the tool does not show as SET ON it is the snaps toggle.
    evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777
    Rejiggered arboretum windows.

emissary-0787.jpg

emissary-0788.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777PreVizwibblecaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Looking great, it's good to see you got past that setback. Yeah, cats do love to walk on keyboards. Or brush them with their tails just hard enough to push keys.
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiral