Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    LOL @ USS Asshat…
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9839 Posts: 5,334Member
    This is the overlap earlier they were right on top of each other but I might push the lower ones in further. I rotated em mostly cause on ships where you can tell the direction they have them facing this way on the bottom vs what I had.

posttng-0242.png
    Rory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Too lazy to slice cap but render to show int volume. (hopefully the light helps some) To see thickness int he narrowest parts of the hull. And then layout of the new lifeboat outer ring. I probably should spin the lower dome ones to match the new ones direction.

posttng-0243.jpg

posttng-0244.jpg

posttng-0245.jpg

I had considered doing windows on the lower "step" or inset but I dunno how much they would be like ankle windows. I really should go find my model of the entire pod and use them not like in the past where poly count killed viewport performance or render times like they used to. Make life much easier to avoid clipping them with impossible rooms.
    OK looks like I can do windows down there after all and still retain a decent sided room there without having issues with the hull getting too much in the way. Keep forgetting the size of this vs what it looks like.
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
    Lower saucer pod bay cutouts done. I decided not to flip the lower dome pods in the end. Registry I think is where I want it. Lower phasers, still on the fence about having them on the dome or the rim.

posttng-0246.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777publiusr
    edited November 2023 #3246
    oops got carried away and forgot the ones on top then got carried away AGAIN and forgot to make the connecting loops on the outside edge or the bottom part of the pods. Kinda ehhh about changing them back as it means tedious realigning the cuts on the inner loops as they are open now. Oh well.
    posttng-0247.jpg
    OIOOOF worse I have to undo it all and recut cause I have to redo all the loops to get the bottom end closed off again. uh, well, I think itll stay. . . . or itll bug me enough o make me wipe all the work off and restart.

EDIT:
    ok this is what I mean by those loops, once yanked for cleanliness well, they are gone and matching si more hassle than it is to just wipe everything.
    posttng-0248.png
    Note image shows the restart of the work lol. Though I really do not like the connection lines on that area of the shape it is that way on the SOV and having those connecting grooves opposing looks a lot nicer overall so meh, I guess.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserBolianAdmiralLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Corrected pits. . . . . .

posttng-0249.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperator
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I think "USS Like & Subscribe" is my favorite. :lol:

Loving the work on the escape pods.
    BolianAdmiral
    Throwing transporter emitters about now. I kinda skipped the back side of the secondary as well warp nacelles and all the crap between them I woulds expect could cause some issues sending a pattern through the forces between them a bit of an issue. Even though the D has a large pair back there. (E lacks them in areas like this.) I do need to recheck the VOY and DEF to see. I have noticed almost all of the Picard era (STP?) ships lack these visual features but retain odd ones from older ships or odd things like those airlocks the NX01 had all over its hull.
    posttng-0251.jpg
    posttng-0252.jpg
    One thing about these that always bothered me is on the physical shooting models they were always illustrator files someone took warp and distort too. Always thought it soo odd that they would be so exact about all the other markings but when it comes to these its like a 12yr old discovering lens flare in photoshop.

evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707caveat_imperator
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68337 DetroitPosts: 163Member
    I was going to make a comment that I personally felt there were too many escape pods. Then I took a look a the Enterprise 1701-D and there's roughly 180 on the top of the saucer alone. Carry on!
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    edited November 2023 #3251
    I was going to make a comment that I personally felt there were too many escape pods. Then I took a look a the Enterprise 1701-D and there's roughly 180 on the top of the saucer alone. Carry on!

According to the TNG Technical Manual by series artists Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda, the Enterprise-D has a total of 400 escape pods. Each pod usually carries 4 people but can hold a maximum of 6. That means the Enterprise-D can evacuate up to a staggering 2400 people, more than twice its crew size. My best guess is the number is so high in order to have the pods in proximity of the main habitat and working areas and the number accounts for both the normal crew, their families, non Starfleet personnel (Guinan, Ten Forward staff, teachers, barber, etc.) and any other passengers.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser366 Posts: 47Member
    I would also expect there to be some redundancy since, you're probably evacuating due to combat (or other severe) damage...
    evil_genius_180publiusrMustang13Camaro68
    edited November 2023 #3253
    I think there are more than I would normally have on a ship. Likely cause I was frustrated in not getting more of a spread, that or just how long it has been since I had to account for the things. SOV ones I think it was stated could carry 8 I mean internally there is enough room for quite a few in a sardine state. Really the things are a right annoyance for how little there is about them, sort of the same goes for turbolifts.

shockingly there are 104 of the thing just on the top saucer. 214ish over the whole ship. So dunno.

Yeah, I think in canon we only saw what, maybe 5 times that escape pods launched? (not counting the Kelvin timeline) Three times in DS9, in the pilot and when the Valiant and Defiant were destroyed. Once in Voyager and once in First Contact. (there may be more that I don't remember) In all of those, the only time we saw the inside was in the DS9 pilot. Like you said, not a lot to go on.
    edited November 2023 #3255
    Rough day today. Keep modeling and undoing modeling more and undoing be it ctrlz for 1 min or deleting and merging in patches. Might just buy ark AS and give up for the month!
    posttng-0259.jpg
    Eyebrow window in the registry. I plan to do some more of these but implementing them as a after thought has been a bit of a headache. Taking some inspiration from Hector Ortiz concept paintings for STO. I have to laugh as I seem to get new ideas from that hellspawn of a game. Lots of neat ideas and little design queues but some of the ugliest ships in trek history too. The game not the artist, I really love his shape blocking that titan refresh is good example of things I strive for EXP that fucking secondary hull. I mean damn I am about o steal that too and fit it to this ship vs the bleah bottom end I have right now. (really the only thing I like about my secondary atm is the upper side anything below the waistline created by the struts I really have not liked day one.

Hector%2BOrtiz%2BStar%2BTrek%2BOnline%2BTitan%2Bclass%2Bconcept%2Bart.jpg
    Dunno if this blogspot nightmare of a url will work as an attached image but here is hoping. . . . . . . if not linked back there <

I know eyebrow windows are not new, I done them plenty of times but seeing them again with a indented "floor" to give more opening for the glass is new. While easy to paint onto a 3d rough (least I think that is how he mentioned working) Modeling them to suit, is another thing lol. (gagarin battle cruiser (ugh lol)) Id link but it is twi--uh X so waled garden for non members.) Anyhow this is what I was thinking of adding to the ship to do something a bit different as last nigh I spent a lot of time just looking at the thing thinking no I need to do something different from the Iowa/tsukuru/Jigoku in surfacing.

tsukuru-nx-0819.jpg
    jigoku-class-668.jpg
    jigoku-class-629.jpg
    iowa-0555.jpg
    iowa-0487.jpg

while a lot of this is my take on SOV and some of the pre STO ships and what not, I think it would be just a bit too much same old same old pattern. I do however want to continue with some of the styling I have developed for those ships sampled above.
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiralpubliusrevil_genius_180rojrenRory1707caveat_imperatorLizzy777
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    That Cassiopeia just looks like a John Eaves-ized U.S.S. Titan to me.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    posttng-0251.jpg
    posttng-0252.jpg

The swan motif is far from exhausted. This is just lovely

Rory1707caveat_imperator
    That Cassiopeia just looks like a John Eaves-ized U.S.S. Titan to me.

Probably why I like it. Though as usual it is bits and pieces. Not a fan of the NX01 style saucer rim and the simplification over the original ship's design. I think the related article was talking about it being a "refresh" to the original so it is suppose to be that class of ship. Me I would call it a production update, like how consoles do then later on do SLIMS of the things.

In some ways the limited poly game model has some nicer shapes.
    Star%2BTrek%2BOnline%2BTitan%2Bclass%2B3.jpg

Star%2BTrek%2BOnline%2BTitan%2Bclass%2B4.jpg

While I am not into the "updating" maybe as a refit? I would accept this as a "refit" over what picard gave us but as a unique ship the elements are neat. Like that dark bit below and aft of the struts how it is overlapped by the hull I really like. I also like the game models "surfacing"
    publiusrBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707LoopholeLizzy777
    Window "slots" in but gonna be redone as I do not like the 2 side windows. Too close to the edge. Not sure if the center one will remain centerlined or offset back. Easy mode positioning as a circular saucer give lots of options lol.

posttng-0262.jpg

evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777
    Yeah, some of the STO ships are cool, others are a big bag of WTF. :lol: The hull materials they use on some of them are just fugly, IMHO. But then, that game is also an almost 14 year old MMORPG. So, the game engine is far from new and is limited by 2010 technology. I remember first playing that back in 2011 and beta testing the free to play build.

I like those windows.
    Ok redid the jambs so there is more space between them and the walls and boxed them in. I see max decided to return edges so the doubled rim edges are kinda showing up in this render.

posttng-0263.jpg
    a too close for comfort on the hull material but shows off the jamb details. Unsure if I will retain the bronze trim or just drk metal it all instead.

posttng-0264.jpg
    StarCruiserRory1707publiusrsrspicer
    Positioning window cutters for the inner facing rim, though about doing those hooded inset windows but ehhhh dunno, but as seen Im indecisive on vertical or horz standard windows so who knows. Tempted to go all horz on the saucer.

posttng-0265.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • MikkiKashiwagiMikkiKashiwagi356 StuttgartPosts: 126Member
    :3
    Very funny shipname.. of your great work..
    :3
    edited November 2023 #3264
    Messing about with the secondary hull. I dunno heh like how it affects the lines but dislike the deflector area so I might do away with a round deflector. Another issue that has cropped up are the forward torpedo launchers are getting close to that sensor pod so I will have to either relocate to the lower lip or relocate them off the secondary hull all together.

posttng-0268.jpg

posttng-0269.jpg

It really helps flush that curvature hoop that I really hated in the older hull. But the deflector area is just yuck.
    Rory1707evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777publiusr
    Starting to look a bit voyageresque. . . .

It makes me want to redo the nacelles too as the bit under the swoop has bothered me for a while now was well. the blobby organic curves just do not go with the sest of it. Another hold off from me wanting to do something with the nacelles that just was not going to work.

posttng-0270.jpg

posttng-0271.jpg

posttng-0272.jpg

posttng-0273.jpg

Sadly due to the secondary hull changes my swoop neck into the saucer is not so clear anymore.so I guess I will have to load up some old subdiv and patch it into the existing parts (YUCK)
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerrojrenStarCruisercaveat_imperatorWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Rory1707
    widened and patched in neck.
    posttng-0276.jpg
    posttng-0277.jpg
    posttng-0278.jpg
    Lizzy777Loopholeashleytingerevil_genius_180rojrenRory1707StarCruisercool65caveat_imperatorsrspicer
  • LoopholeLoophole98 Posts: 68Member
    This latest iteration is definitely the way to go.
    publiusr
    Standing among giants
    I like the new secondary hull, especially with the wider neck.
  • Rory1707Rory1707235 Posts: 240Member
    Love this version!
    Fighting all day with sticks. . . I tried to retain what the old ones had but Just could not work the design in without eventually going right back to modeling it with those blobby bottoms to them.

posttng-0279.jpg

posttng-0283.jpg
    posttng-0284.jpg
    posttng-0285.jpg
    posttng-0286.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707rojrenevil_genius_180caveat_imperator
    I'm not going to lie, I like the old nacelles better. But, I look forward to seeing where you go with these. I like how you did the bussards and blue bits.