Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• Rory1707Rory1707233 Posts: 239Member
    So do I
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    Stuff from last night, dinner then passing out took over getting these online :p

Think it might be another paint over time. . . . lol I keep messing about on the backside of this debating how I wanna deal with the panel lines as the torps do disrupt the flow of wrap over panels etc.
    at some point I have to seal with the shuttle bay. . .

posttng-0444.jpg

posttng-0445.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777wibble
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Kinda unsure if I want to use this "shield grid" sort of paneling or not.

posttng-0446.jpg
    posttng-0447.jpg
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777wibble
    Since CBS has a thorn up it's arse about silly glow registries and stuff I thought I would give a more realistic approach. While this is just a slight proof of concept to see how it looks Idea is to maybe chanfer the hull in around the logos so the light spills around OR maybe cutting the logo into the hull so the edges light into the logo. I kinda stole the pennant arrangement from that strange intrepid thing. Ignore the red stripe wonk as the hull curves here and I just quick cut things to get this out to render while I ate dinner. :p Oh, I also did a bit of choppy chop to the hull and redid some hull geo

posttng-0450.jpg
    posttng-0451.jpg

One thing I have been thinking of is if I wanna "chamfer" the neck into the secondary hull Granted the neck is 2 bits and some odd shapes like that groove that wraps around the saucer to make look like one cast bit. SO, I dunno about if I will or wont. hrmmmm
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777wibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks really good, even if you don't chamfer it. The shapes naturally flow together.
    Ok created a small pit in the hull for the pennant objects and applyed a yellow light to it all. Larger render is with that muted copper trim vs black outlines. Probably will revert to some dark hull line material in the end though. I will probably shorten the dart's glow area to clip the circle again (see larger image) As it renders a thin goofy line of light but not enough o make the dart stand out against the ring. I am keeping the backdrop hull color for now but might go for a metallic surface but will not use the blood red that appears on the pennants of some picard era ships.

posttng-0452.jpg

posttng-0453.jpg
    wibbleRory1707Loopholeevil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserLizzy777srspicer
    Start on the shuttle bay as I need to plan out the internal guts before I finalize all the other things like warp core secondary windows etc. The real headache of this bay is how long and narrow it is due to the hull shape so there is no quick drop off to expand into. So, this bay will be a opposite in form to most of my designs as itll expand upward at some point. I do have some cargo bays in the cutout planned. It is large enough for a runabout but I do not think I will have anywhere that can store one for any length of time. Given this is to fit the same role as the neo connie (or whatever it was called) So deep space long mission, I would expect more smaller shuttles vs one large vehicle. GRANTED I would expect in the time period of Picard they would have replicators capable making most of a shuttles spaceframe if not most of the shuttle.

posttng-0454.jpg

evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707BolianAdmiralLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibble
    I really like how you're doing the Starfleet emblem, that glow around it really pops.
    edited December 2023 #3370
    Ok I think this should do, a bit of a overly long entrance leading to cargo and shuttle stowage and a final work room in the far back. Room interiors are rough and boxy for now I dunno if I will model past the cargo area even that would be behind a airlock door. 8 shuttles on hot stand by should be enough for a ship like this. Pink thing on the end of the image is the block out for the warp core and engineering.
    posttng-0455.jpg

posttng-0456.jpg

Now with the complaints about the ship details in picard, here I am using TMP era cargo boxes. But I dont think we ever saw anything as replacements of that size. TNG had a lot of containers but nothing of mass. I am mostly using these out of laziness and the fact well likelihood of seeing them is low and least I know something of that girth can reside in the space allotted.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserRory1707BolianAdmiralLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Ok think I am done with this for now. Still gotta adjust lighting and materials, and maybe add that voy like ribbed walls. The slightly parted blue doors are most likely to be closed at all times in any possible renders so meh? I have provisioned that workroom to be 3 decks or more tall so you can yank out large core parts or other machinery from engineering via bulkhead doors at the top. Larger components then can be either elevated or secured via clamps in the walls etc.

posttng-0458.jpg
    posttng-0459.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserBolianAdmiralLizzy777Rory1707wibblecaveat_imperatorStarship
    Window cutters in. Some of the aft ones near the shuttle bay are a bit whiffy and will need me to do some double checking Mainly the group of 3 closest to the lifeboats. Funny these are the ones that get the closest to the shuttle bay interior. So the chance o those going away are fairly high. Not because of depth but due to doors or other things cutting access to the rooms.

posttng-0460.jpg
    ok all the time watching it render and I am thinking maybe too many windows. . . . . lol
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707ashleytingerwibble
    Now the hard part the upper secondary hull. Argument is to follow deck angles or follow hull flow and be damned how the windows aligned inside. In general most trek ships go the route of the latter. More so in some of the newer ships as most of them are just textures.

The front 2 pairs near the deflector are an example of the lateral follow so it is clear windows would path a od line in opposition to the hull lines. It is a much easier time laying them out as aligning them is a simple matter of butting them against a alignment object and rotating till they are even across the hull to avoid warping of the rounded corners or distorting the 90deg corners. Following the hull curve means faffing about and eyeballing them with the ones further down the hull.

posttng-0461.jpg
    evil_genius_180lennier1LoopholeStarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707wibble
    Aligned windows and what I think I will go with.

posttng-0463.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiserRory1707evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralwibbleStarship
    Almost forgot these, kinda placed after the fact lol. And again I kinda feel there are a bit too many windows. OH and also a render to show how goofy the level windows can get due to the hull curvature.

posttng-0464.jpg

posttng-0465.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiserLoopholeRory1707evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralwibble
    edited December 2023 #3376
    Yeah, aligning windows to a deck plan and to unusual shapes is fun, isn't it? But, once you get them all cut in and the rooms behind them, the effect will be stunning. I don't think you have too many, as the saucer is somewhat window heavy too. Not necessarily in the amount you have, but in the way they're tightly packed together. I think the secondary hull window layout you have matches that nicely.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Starship
    Possible cargo bay entrance.

posttng-0468.jpg

yeah windows are a ulcer keeping them level across a deck is a right pain. I often do not bother with squaring them as deck layout wont always be like a building. Though many buildings are multi level or have areas split up etc now. I was just tempted to go the route of looks over logical layout but it was looking a bit too jank to work out.
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
    Some more work on this. The yellow door thing is an idea to have it enclosed but more than just a "shutter" panel over the curved shape. The interior is aligned in a way to access machine rooms in the ship as well as paths to access that workroom off the shuttle bay.

Quick render of the internal volumes, least I hope it gives an idea of spaces inside. Purple box is the engineering access tunnel likely be a mess of other things there too vs being a huge massive open area. Box is to suggest the route to access. Lower pink cyl is engineering itself or space for it. Tube below is the core ejection. Im sure there is more space not show such as plasma tubes and other piping to other areas of the ship. Fuchsia box is the cargo elevator space again oversized. I have things sized to that tmp cargo train but likely max of 2 crates at a time up and down vs a train of 4. I do not think I want to open the transition space up to fit a shuttle. Just those cargo boxes or something of that size. AGAIN none of this will get modeled just know it is accounted for and kinda exists.

posttng-0469.jpg
    posttng-0470.jpg
    posttng-0471.jpg
    posttng-0472.jpg
    Mustang13Camaro68ashleytingerBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
    The door if I go with a door.
    kinda forgot this render. . . . .

posttng-0474.jpg
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibble
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,569Member
    I like that style of shuttlebay observation window you have.
    Really hating on the nacelles but hating everything else too. . .

posttng-0477.jpg
    posttng-0478.jpg

posttng-0479.jpg
    posttng-0480.jpg
    posttng-0481.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180wibbleashleytingerStarCruiserpubliusrsrspicer
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Yeah, aligning windows to a deck plan and to unusual shapes is fun, isn't it? But, once you get them all cut in and the rooms behind them, the effect will be stunning. I don't think you have too many, as the saucer is somewhat window heavy too. Not necessarily in the amount you have, but in the way they're tightly packed together. I think the secondary hull window layout you have matches that nicely.

Yeah, I´m with you.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Still have to get used to edges being more prominent over sleek and smooth curves, but as far as the design goes it still looks smooth af
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    edited December 2023 #3384
    That would look absolutely wicked with a third Nacelle. Just sayin!
    Post edited by EBOLII on
  • AdcrossAdcross1 Posts: 1New Member
    EBOLII wrote: »
    That would look absolutely wicked with a third Nacelle. Just sayin!

No.... please dont....
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Really hating on the nacelles but hating everything else too. . .

posttng-0477.jpg

I like those nacelles..that could be a good Decker saucer as is.
    cool65
    A more refined version of option A.

posttng-0485.jpg
    posttng-0486.jpg
    posttng-0487.jpg
    posttng-0488.jpg

as for the third nacelle,
    posttng-0489.jpg
    raztovevil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingercool65StarCruiserBolianAdmiralRory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicer
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 514Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    as for the third nacelle,
    posttng-0489.jpg

I hate it when starships can't keep their pants on.
    StarCruiser
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,569Member
    I think there’s a bit of restlessness about this ship, and in my own humble opinion, I think it’s with the nacelles. I love the fact that all your concepts for the nacelles are so modern… IMHO, what seems to be the issue is that while the nacelles are modern, the overall shape of the ship itself, even the pylons, is pretty traditional and conservative. I think the addition of actual ramscoops, though obviously styled to look more modern, would help smooth the two looks… IMO. also, the overall lines of the main ship aren’t as organically curved and rounded as the nacelle shapes, which kind of makes the nacelles look as if they were added later on… perhaps during a major refit. IDK… maybe I’m reading too much into this, but I get the sense that the nacelles keep frustrating you. Please don’t take any of this as negative criticism… just my take.

P.S. Love the d*ck pic… 😛
    More tweaks and just general doodling. Copper area I am undecided on if itll be a ribbed feature, some subtle glow thing or just a inset traditional glass with glow crap behind. It would likely be 2 barrel glow things in there behind maybe a inset domed glass. It would not protrude anymore than the copper does now. I might square up or flat face some of the curvature as I progress. The lower area below the glow strip is no where near final. I might dump it all for something else as I dislike the wrap around warp grill at the back of the nacelle.

posttng-0499.jpg

posttng-0500.jpg

posttng-0501.jpg

posttng-0502.jpg

posttng-0503.jpg

posttng-0504.jpg

oof the sloppiness in some of the alignments. And augh there is a hunch back in the taper visible in one of the renders. Need to remember to correct that but I might be altering that area anyhow as I am considering instead of the blue glow strip and lower hull part if instead haivng that shell part a separate object and the aft nacelle rising up to reveal a slit for the warp glow and have the rear nacelle part reach down and create the lower hull part instead so it isnt separate objects, creating that rear part of the warp grill I dislike so much. I really should doodle it out but each time I look at the cintiq I get pissed at how badly the pla panel has aged. (gonna cost me 4k to replace yuck) And well just not interested in drawing things out atm. Hell this 4k panel Im on is showing signs of burn in "ghosting" already. No luck with lcd panels I guess.

ashleytingerwibbleevil_genius_180rojrenRory1707Lizzy777StarCruiserpubliusrsrspicer
    oops sorta duplicated a few renders in the info they give here is a more profile image to give everyone a better idea of them from the side.

posttng-0505.jpg
    Starriggerevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777StarCruisersrspicerwibble