Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1116 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,569Member
    I think if the copper bits are actual glowy ramscoop things, it’d work well.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    oh HAH last night's, or rather yesterdays work. Again thought I had posted this but nope lol.
    Mostly getting all the angles right and changing that lower pod into something more part of the upper bit of nacelle. The odd collection of same angles near the back was originally thought of as a later venting system but the visual clusterfuck it creates Im not so sure. I might give a go at cleaning it up. I plan to have some grids and other hull details that will unify things more but the difference in surface heights bother me as well as that bounced light sheesh, I need to recheck the material settings as something might have gone out of control. Granted if you have seen anything in a pebble finish silver anno on aluminum it does so this strange effect. I am just not sure I want it on a ship nor have it be so specific it looks like a error.

posttng-0508.jpg

posttng-0509.jpg

posttng-0510.jpg
    Lizzy777rojrenStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707cool65wibblepubliusr
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited December 2023 #3394
    loose idea of the "vent" have to collapse things to do more cut ins. Also tempted to see if I can narrow up that lower part near the cyl so those brackets can be angled to the center of the nacelle more. Only issue is it would impact the profile near the warp grill glass. Also tempted to eek a small gap between thosde 2 hull parts so a small sliver of glow can be seen between them. All a mess of brain farting as I model as mentioned there are no hard plans as I go just winging it all.

posttng-0511.jpg

posttng-0512.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777wibblesrspicer
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    posttng-0510.jpg

I like the nacelles the way you have them here… the terraced look to the bottom works, IMHO.

StarCruiserRory1707
    oops I didnt have the right numbers int he images. I yanked off the blocvk things cause it was just too much clutter. Render is some cheap hollowing out of the nacelles.

posttng-0516.jpg
    posttng-0517.jpg
    posttng-0518.jpg
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralRory1707StarshipLizzy777rojrenStarCruiserashleytingersrspicerwibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is my favorite of the different nacelle designs you've tried on this ship.
  • Rory1707Rory1707234 Posts: 239Member
    Absolutely Gorgeous my friend!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2024 Central OhioPosts: 1,250Member
    I second the nacelle comment. Those are amazing
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Love that saucer layer-cake
    Not a huge update stuck coils in the nacelles and unified the blue bits around the ship. Some remain that light powdered blue but most are now the deeper blue. Some of the blue regions are still up in the air if I will retain them or go with something else or change the pattern.

posttng-0524.jpg
    posttng-0525.jpg
    posttng-0526.jpg
    Lizzy777rojrenStarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingercool65Rory1707caveat_imperatorpubliusrwibbleand 1 other.
    Some random junk to create shapes behind the grills, itll get even more distorted when I do the ribbing on the grills.

posttng-0530.jpg
    posttng-0531.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerStarCruiserMustang13Camaro68Rory1707caveat_imperatorsrspicerwibble
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2024 Central OhioPosts: 1,250Member
    At least it looks like functional random junk lol
    Lots of small changes over the last week.

posttng-0549.jpg

posttng-0551.jpg

posttng-0552.jpg

posttng-0553.jpg

posttng-0554.jpg

posttng-0555.jpg
    StarCruiserRory1707ashleytingercool65BolianAdmiralrojrensrspicercaveat_imperatorwibbleLizzy777and 2 others.
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    These nacelle changes really work well. They got the aggressive look of the design much better.
    Wireframes for no real reason, except to show off some of the ugly topology and rando mess I just didnt bother cleaning up. (points at central hull, particularly the pink bit)The top down one is faked as max displays top and bottom with the front at the top of the screen. So it might be slightly off.

Huge PNGs cause well, they are smaller in size and do not suffer jpgitus. (srsly jpg is 2 to 3 X the size.)

oops forgot to add images and post lol. Got distracted cleaning the wires on that above mentioned part. . . . . . . . .

posttng-0557.png
    posttng-0558.png
    posttng-0559.png
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777srspicerHunter G
    Sometimes with fairly flat areas you can get away with some outright murder

posttng-0560.png
    Rory1707ashleytingerBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777publiusrsrspicer
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Y'know... the purplish tint the wireframe overlay gives the secondary hull looks nice.
    This might be a bit of a mistake in the works but we will see. . . .

It will def affect the geometery of the parts but I do not think in a way that is really obvious without sitting down with a wireframe and high rez. Maybe a few cm here or there in how much the blue warp grill is exposed from the inner side vs outer side. Area I am most concerned with is the trailing hull as that is a pile of edges flying aft-ward into nothing as well as the added loop to sustain the strut loops. I also really wanted more of a flare and a good detachment point (loops that run inline with a good panel line (like the base of the struts) But It looks like that wont happen as too many edges to find homes for. This is the possible mistake part tied in to the fact if I give up this attempt will remain as a possibility. . . . .
    If this works out Ill be patching these in to the existing struts. Last image kinda shows the drawbacks of this, the harder angle to the lower hull caused by the trailing edge of the strut. Well more caused by the loops needed there for it. I might be able to manually remove that flat spot but I might not have the clearance to do such.

posttng-0562.jpg
    posttng-0563.jpg

posttng-0565.jpg
    posttng-0566.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserwibbleLizzy777srspicerHunter G
    Issue is it isnt so obvious from the side just those sharp foreshortened views.

posttng-0567.jpg

posttng-0568.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorRory1707StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777publiusrHunter G
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 336Member
    The copper/orange-ish color for the collectors is a nice change.
    Well collapsed and optimized some, still could loose some of the edge density but meh for now. I kinda ponder if I should have kept the lower lip on the nacelle where the strut joins. But changing that now means redoing all the clean up and joining of the old struts into the object so , dunno.

posttng-0571.jpg
    posttng-0572.jpg
    posttng-0573.jpg
    posttng-0574.jpg

oof that last one I really need to get in and chamfer the sharp edges as the AI blurs it all together. Also strange shadow is from the light gizmos, I really should go in and turn those off. It has thrown me off 3 times already.
    trekkiwibbleashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777rojrencaveat_imperatorHunter G
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited January 5 #3413
    I love that engine design. And I always enjoy how smooth your work is. Even subtle things like that transition from the pylon to the nacelle are seamless.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I love the whole secondary hull. The way those impulse engines are on the saucer remind me of TNG phaser strips, lol.
    publiusr
    edited January 6 #3415
    Decided nacelles and struts need a break and started on the mundane work around the ship that needs doing. This change in the material merging in of detached parts is driving me insane it just seems unable to know that material X is X on all objects and instead just assigns some random mat ID and blacks it out (black mat denoting a lack of a material) so Ill have stuff assigned as I model all get reset to the fing black mat instead of seeing mat X is mat X elsewhere and unifying the ID numbers. SO yeah I go from sliver window frames to black and black grids turning blue. (this latter I dunno wtf changed that) This has never been a issue for all the decades of using max and only has been a issue in the last year or less.
    Sigh.
    Is this some real change made to max or a possible option stupidly assigned to a single key on the keyboard and me we-wahhing accidentally with max in focus or the cats walking on the keyboard?
    attach-dio-01.png
    This is the dialog and my classic settings when remerging or attaching bits of mesh back into the original or unioning them. Second option doesnt alter assigned mats to the polies but it does not have the condense option so I just reproduces multiples of IDs and I dunno that sounds like a bad idea outside of the annoyance of selecting mats later on by ID.

well whatever for now here is a rough render of the start of the holes.

posttng-0576.jpg

I really should o is get back to other things as this ship was suppose to only be a idea. . . .
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    StarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Room boxes and lights, just need to uvw the walls in. bot the nvidia AI really has fits with those enclosed details (cargo bay)
    posttng-0577.jpg
    posttng-0578.jpg

some detached panel, outlining and unique uvw (no contiguous pattern across the panels. )
    posttng-0580.jpg
    posttng-0581.jpg
    wibbleevil_genius_180Mustang13Camaro68StarCruiserashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777publiusrHunter G
    FIEWW all the other lower holes punched in and roomed. Was a right pain getting the arrangement to fit in places lol Even with all the planning some rooms are a bit meh. Granted some are more halways to access other areas than actual rooms.

posttng-0588.jpg
    posttng-0589.jpg
    evil_genius_180rojrensrspicerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorashleytingerLizzy777Rory1707wibbleHunter G
    Neck holes. Considered doing unique patterns but meh. Also tempted to do one of the sets as a cross room but didnt but the option is there as it would be easy to move the walls about in the rooms. No uvws on any of these atm as I am reconsidering the interior texture as the current one is a bit dark and room lighting does not really communicate with it. (see all the upper hull windows in past renders for examples)

posttng-0592.jpg
    posttng-0593.jpg
    posttng-0594.jpg
    posttng-0595.jpg
    posttng-0596.jpg
    StarCruiserStarshipevil_genius_180rojrenashleytingerLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68Rory1707BolianAdmiralpubliusrand 1 other.
    Upper holes in, oddly easier, least till I nudged things somewhere in the process. . . . . AUGH. All cut in with rooms and lights just the task of detailing the panels etc. Need to detach and uvw the panels too. Kinda had hoped they would spill some light on the struts like the windows on the upper hull or in the neck did but nope. Maybe in properly composited images where there isnt so much ambient they might.

posttng-0598.jpg
    posttng-0599.jpg
    posttng-0600.jpg
    posttng-0601.jpg

bit of a missed opportunity as I look at the rneders of aligning the neck windows to some on the secondary hull. Give more of a unified feeling granted though the deck locations are so dissimilar they likely would never line up due to all the stuff that passes through the hull etc.
    rojrenRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorsrspicerHunter G
    Toying with adding windows on the spine. Not fully sure about it as I usualy hint that the neck spine area is a behind the scenes area running up and down the neck on ship, kind of like a dumb waiter for supplies or that million stair access way when the lifts are down.

posttng-0605.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68publiusrsrspicerHunter G
    Messing with the torp housings as I was oddly retaining a cowling over the cowling and some old TMP like bits. So I eliminated those and it brings the housing down in girth so I went about minimizing the openings. I will likely have to address this on the aft units but those are all sort of rough work anyway. Does bring into question how much I was using these parts mindlessly in other models.

posttng-0607.jpg
    posttng-0608.jpg
    posttng-0609.jpg

aaaand yes, the deflector is freaking on the HDRI, it is cause the blue is a solid object with sides that kinda float next to the gold bits so there is a inner side wanting to reflect the hdri as well as the gold doing the same and well clearly it is going bonkers.

sigh Im seeing that damned bleed through of the background again so again the single hotkey bullshit strikes again. NOW to remember what setting it is to get rid of it. . . . Also means the backdrop is tainting the render to some degree.
    Rory1707trekkiStarCruiserashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777srspicerHunter G