Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I like the design. :)
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Working my way to the back.

build0906a_thumb.jpg
    I'm liking it. :)
  • EnigmaNZEnigmaNZ0 Posts: 0Member
    I haven't been to this site for years but had to log on to comment on your designs. So weird and alien lol. Are these artifacts known to the Federation, or just to your crazy mind? Fancy leaving a perfectly good ship lying around, wouldn't mind looking at a few, kick the tyres, I mean nacelles, and see if I can coax some life from them. Wouldn't it be great to turn up at that party in a ship that was ancient when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Evil genius, you say the same thing about every design lol. I have got up to page 38 so a long way to go. That guy back then saying the ships looked too alien was annoying me though. Well, said my piece, better get back to page 39 and continue.
    Thanks for the kind words EnigmaNZ. I'm glad you are enjoying the designs.

If it weren't for evil_genius_180 I wouldn't know if anyone was looking at any of this stuff. The view counter seems to be regularly bedeviled by bots, and I don't get many other comments in this or the other threads I started.

In case you're interested, my website (link below) has more images of some of these ship. Unlike the early posts here, they all have black backgrounds, which is how they look while I'm making them. (White was an AutoCAD output thing.)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I'm also looking, I just don't comment much. I love the alienness of your designs, as befits so many different--and lost--cultures.
    rojren wrote: »
    I meant why hadn't Sisko ever talked about his project? A guy I worked with was restoring a 50-something Mustang (well, it was a 20th century one, a least), and he went on, and on about that thing. People love talking about their hobbies.

Perhaps he did, it just wasn't recorded. After all we never see anyone going to the toilet either, but I'm sure they do.
    just checking, that latest image is the orbiting platform. the cables on the camera's side of the object lead down to the planet's surface, the cables on the far side lead up to geosynch orbit? if the image you posted before that one was the elevator car i think there is a problem with it's design, i assume those arms poking out to the right are for holding the cable. this will mean that there is a larger torque on the structure and the cable is kinked at the point where the car is. it would be best to have the cable run through the middle of the car with more or less equal mass distribution on either side, that will also make it easier to mount the motors needed for it to climb the cable. your latest pic looks pretty cool even if you are not yet sure what it could be, add a couple of arms for interplanetary ships to dock onto and it would be perfect as the space station. another tip is to put a big, but lightweight, "solar" panel onto the car once you have rearranged it's masses. this panel wouldn't be collecting solar radiation but rather a huge laser on earth would be aimed at it to power the car's motors, that way it doesn't need to carry fuel.

I did read somewhere that the cable passing through the radiation belt will act like a generator and supply all the power needed for the motors in the cars. Also the cars don't need to untether.
    Thank you, Sanderlee. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

The thing with Sisko is a part of Star Trek that annoys me. Big things come from out of the blue and cause an upheaval that's solved by the last commercial, and is almost never mentioned again. I preferred how Stargate SG1 would go back and revisit and continue to deal with major life events.

I don't know that spaceflight hangs around here any more. There was a bit of friction between him and a few others here. He (I assume (I also assumed he was young)) would be offered help and what seemed to me to be sensible suggestions, but would rarely, if ever, take them.
    This is an old one. (The thumb is just the front end.)

Tag: 0000 001021-0782115
    Type: deep explorer
    Orion 000.23-231241.87
    Culture: Seekers
    Est. Age: 1.9 billion years
    Size: 1.90 km
    Nickname: Caracantelene

caracantelene_thumb.jpg

Hell, a race almost 2 billion years ago built a 2km long Explorer, that I would love to explore inside of.
    At last, reached the end. Now I can check out some other threads lol. I love your imagination rojren
    Thank you EnigmaNZ.

Added the drive unit, and a few details.

build0912_thumb.jpg build0912a_thumb.jpg
    I really like the details on this one, especially those pipes. The colors are nice too. :)
    Thanks, evil.

Done.

build0913_thumb.jpg build0913a_thumb.jpg build0913b_thumb.jpg
    That looks great. It almost looks Steampunk with those details. :)
    I love the copper cage. It might be piping for coolant, it might be a stylish, quasi-Faraday cage, it might be a woven network of technobabble field emitters. But, regardless, it's spankin' cool.
    Thank you evil (may I call you evil?... Is that a line from a movie?) and Sanderlee. I'm leaning toward the faraday cage idea. Something to protect the ship from the effects of the translight drive.

Next. Another 'First Ones' type ship.

Tag: 0000 111230-009291
    Type: autonomous traveller
    (Orion 022.40+00378.14)
    Culture: Managkalahing
    Est. Age: 46 thousand years
    Size: 410 m
    Nickname: Liŭ ye dāo

Working out the basic shape.

build0914_thumb.jpg
    I like the shape so far.
    Working with the shape. The pointy end is the rear of the ship on this one.

build0915a_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking... For the sister ship to the S.S. Anthem ( S.S. Overture ) (ed.: renamed Canticle) I was wondering if there would be any benefit to a Federation ships power system that used separate hydrogen fusion, and anti-hydrogen fusion reactors, with the resultant helium/anti-helium going to fuel the warp drive?
    I've been thinking... For the sister ship to the S.S. Anthem ( S.S. Overture ) I was wondering if there would be any benefit to a Federation ships power system that used separate hydrogen fusion, and anti-hydrogen fusion reactors, with the resultant helium/anti-helium going to fuel the warp drive?

I'm liking the ship design, especially the needle-tail idea. Makes it more interesting than the USS Hypodermic it might've been otherwise. :D

No idea if helium/anti-helium reaction would be different other than in a "energy pulse per atoms mixed" way than hydrogen/anti-hydrogen. I mean, sure, put two helium/anti-helium atoms together and you'll get a bigger pulse of energy (more mass), but apart from that would there be a difference? Of course, the power gained from the anti-hydrogen fusion reactor might off-set, though a good, "safe" fusion reactor would be using helium-3 in the mix, anyway.

It's an interesting idea regardless!
    The ship is looking good so far. :)
    I changed the shapes a bit, and fooled around with some god-awful gaudy colors that will not be staying.

build0917x_thumb.jpg
    The shapes are cool, but I'm glad the colors are temporary. :)
    Removed the purply color. Added some stuff, removed some other stuff.

build0920a_thumb.jpg
    I really like the flow of the shapes. The colors are nice too.
    I really like this one. It's almost abstract looking, yet you can still tell it's a space ship. It's definitely very alien looking. :D
    I started drawing this while I was trying to figure out how to draw something else.

Tag: 0000 000128-0221280
    Type: cityship
    Orion 010.12-170880.12
    Culture: Grannekeque Superior
    Est. Age: 298,000 years
    Size: 6,710m
    Nickname: Groot Kurktrekker

build1106d_thumb.jpg
    Added some innards.

build1111_thumb.jpg
    That's really cool so far. It's very unique looking.