Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804257 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking good. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    being a space station i'm thinking(as i often do) how cool it would be to hang a space elevator from the bottom that nice array of antennae and masts on the bottom is begging for a space elevator running down it's centre. that double disc thing could even be it if you added a long cable below. cargo and passengers could be brought from the surface by elevator then transfer to interplanetary/interstellar ships docked around that wide ring section of the station.
  • rojrenrojren2350 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,984Member
    Space elevator? Hmmn. I'll try one. I'm thinking four elevator strands and one central anchor strand. The counterweight will be a space station... and that's about all I have so far.

Tag: 0000 091800-0005714
    Type: space elevator / spacedock
    (Orion 010.98-23340.71)
    Culture: Bassi
    Est. Age: 21,200 years
    Size: 85km
    Nickname: Upsy Daisy

build0722x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    An idea for the 'cars'

cars0723x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Is this supposed to be one of those surface to space elevators?

Interesting design. I like the cars. :)
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's a 'bean stalk' space elevator. I was thinking of one those rotating launch tethers too. Maybe I'll do one of those later. Right now, I'm sort of noodling around, trying to figure how many cars would be in a 'train', and how they would couple and decouple from the tethers.

At the base, the tether anchors would split and be spread out over a few kilometers to keep bad weather and accidents from shutting down the elevator.
    I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.

build0729x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    I don't know either, but it looks cool.
    just checking, that latest image is the orbiting platform. the cables on the camera's side of the object lead down to the planet's surface, the cables on the far side lead up to geosynch orbit? if the image you posted before that one was the elevator car i think there is a problem with it's design, i assume those arms poking out to the right are for holding the cable. this will mean that there is a larger torque on the structure and the cable is kinked at the point where the car is. it would be best to have the cable run through the middle of the car with more or less equal mass distribution on either side, that will also make it easier to mount the motors needed for it to climb the cable. your latest pic looks pretty cool even if you are not yet sure what it could be, add a couple of arms for interplanetary ships to dock onto and it would be perfect as the space station. another tip is to put a big, but lightweight, "solar" panel onto the car once you have rearranged it's masses. this panel wouldn't be collecting solar radiation but rather a huge laser on earth would be aimed at it to power the car's motors, that way it doesn't need to carry fuel.
    Okay, I think I have it sorted out now.

A 12-car train.
    build0730x1_thumb.jpg

The train station, where the cars are coupled/decoupled from the rail.
    build0730x2_thumb.jpg

The station, and the cargo sorting area, and lower docks.
    build0730x3_thumb.jpg

The habitat .
    build0730x4_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Cool. I'm really liking the design of this. :)
    i didn't realise you had 4 cars about a central axis, solves your kinked cable problem. those clean and smooth perfect torus rings look very much like 1950/60s space station concepts. i'm starting to really like what your're doing with this.
    Worked on the habitat rings.

build0731b_thumb.jpg
    JES
    that's great. just one thing to remember, the "gravity" strength on the inner ring will be a lot weaker than on the outer one. as an estimate it will be only a third of the "field" on the outer ring.
    The inner ring is for cargo. Enough 'gravity' to keep things in place. I figured the inner ring was built first just as a depot for cargo and a very few passengers, and the outer habitat ring was added years later. Like how towns grow up around rail stations and harbors. That's why the ring designs are a little different.
    good thinking.
    ...those clean and smooth perfect torus rings look very much like 1950/60s space station concepts...

That made me think of this

klaatu02_thumb.jpg
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    rojren wrote: »
    That made me think of this

klaatu02_thumb.jpg

Klaatu! Barada nikto! :D
    Nice. Retro is always cool. :)
    Next:

Tag: 0000 011581-3221223
    Type: Deep Explorer
    (Orion 002.94-26662.06)
    Culture: Searchers
    Est. Age: 1,265,000 years
    Size: 420m
    Nickname: Eidolon

image1_thumb.jpg

(Looks a bit Klingonish from the side.)

build0805x_thumb.jpg

(Not so much from any other angle)

build0805x1_thumb.jpg
    from that underside angle it looks like a bit like a high speed scramjet test "plane". or some sort of re-entry vehicle with a big intake for some kind of airbreathing engine to take it back up halfway to orbit afterwards. If i had designed a ship with that shape it wouldn't be much more than 30m long, if not much smaller. it has a couple of nice lines to to it but this ship's shape doesn't, in my mind, suit it's purpose(would advise changing purpose and quoted size not design to make up for this).
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    from that underside angle it looks like a bit like a high speed scramjet test "plane". or some sort of re-entry vehicle with a big intake for some kind of airbreathing engine to take it back up halfway to orbit afterwards. If i had designed a ship with that shape it wouldn't be much more than 30m long, if not much smaller. it has a couple of nice lines to to it but this ship's shape doesn't, in my mind, suit it's purpose(would advise changing purpose and quoted size not design to make up for this).

Why should he change it? It's not an atmospheric ship, despite the fact it looks like one.
    I think I'll do two different types of ship, based on this one.

build0807x_thumb.jpg build0807x1_thumb.jpg

This one will be the larger of the two. (By the way, the shape is based on the idea of some rather large drive coils)
    i like your choice of colours, will look forward to seeing how both designs come out in the end.
    You know how some ship designs look good from lots of angles? This isn't one of those.

Added weapons and an engineering section

build0809x_thumb.jpg build0809x1_thumb.jpg
    I really like the design. However, I can definitely see where it would only look good from certain angles.
    Added a big ol' symbol (I can't think of what the right word is for it) on the underside, and a few other little things. And I am searching for views that don't look horrible.

build0810x_thumb.jpg build0810x1_thumb.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I believe the word you're looking for is "emblem." :D

From the front, it looks like a shark opening to chomp. The upper shield generators/weapons pods/dome thingies (technical term?) look a bit like blunt teeth.

Overall, this is one of your cooler works--esp. the color scheme. But, you're right, from some angles it's a bit ... odd. :D
    Yeah, 'emblem' works.

I never noticed the shark look. It's especially apparent with the thumbnail. :)

shark_thumb.jpg
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    You're gonna need a bigger program.
    Adam Warnock