Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• rojrenrojren2433 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,997Member
    Added a few things, and did a couple of quick size comparison views

build0907_thumb.jpg group0907_thumb.jpg group0907a_thumb.jpg
    build0909x_thumb.jpg build0909x1_thumb.jpg

Next:

Tag: 0000 011453-4000150
    Type: automated asteroid miner
    (Orion 031.70-00074.93)
    Culture: Ratatoskr
    Est. Age: 95 thousand years
    Size: 221 M DIA
    Nickname: Neytendaadstodin

neytendaadstodin_thumb.jpg
    Started on the rear framework.

build0911x_thumb.jpg
    Added things.

build0914_thumb.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804641 Posts: 11,200Member
    That's really cool so far. :)
    More things. Oh, just saw an error.

build0914a_thumb.jpg
    At least you found the error. :) I'm really liking the structures here. Very intricate.
    Added some stuff. I'm going for a busy look.

build0918a_thumb.jpg
    You're definitely succeeding there. It looks cool so far. :)
    Added more busy stuff. And done.

build0921b_thumb.jpg build0921b1_thumb.jpg build0921b2_thumb.jpg
    That's really cool. :thumb:
    Next:

Tag: 0000 061780-3271127
    Type: long range shuttle
    (Orion 000.33-313158.01)
    Culture: Coscollos
    Est. Age: 8.6 million years
    Size: 135m
    Nickname: Piccolo Maglio

The basic shape of the bow is set, and the aft is blocked out.

maglio_thumb.jpg build0922c_thumb.jpg
    Baby's first Lirpa.

Added windows, dock, escape hatch, and some stuff you can't see.

build0923x_thumb.jpg build0923x1_thumb.jpg
    Great, now I can't get the image of a Vulcan kid playing with this thing out of my mind. ;)

Even so, it's looking good so far.
    Added engine stuff, and maneuvering thrusters.

build0924x_thumb.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    That automated asteroid miner looked good in it;s first image and has maintained the same nice shape throughout it's designing process. Nicely done.
    Changed the logo, and whatever.

build0928x_thumb.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Not strictly regarding your ship but i thought i'd say this anyway:
    That cool new GIF you have as an avatar, it will look cool and awesome right up until the day someone uses it as a loading icon, or "please wait for..." graphic. Perhaps you might be that someone, let me warn you now, you will immediately hate that animation if you ever use it to replace an hourglass icon on your comouter.
    New ship looks interesting, is it going to be able to separate into the forward and aft sections?
    Thanks. I've actually used this avatar before. I drew the parts in CAD, made a flash animation from the parts, and saved it as a GIF. I tend not to replace anything in Windows. It's too much of a resource hog as it is.

No separation for this ship. It's a bit too small of a ship for that.
    Took a break from starship doodling to re-make my website. ( www.rogerrenfrow.com )

Looks like I need to rescale a bunch of the images. Strangely, the images show up larger when stored on the network, than they do stored locally. There's a few layout issues too.
    That's a nice minimalistic look for the website. I like the typewritten look.

The ship is looking good. Though, to be honest, it's not my favorite of your designs. It looks like a hand tool or something.
    build1018x_thumb.jpg build1018x1_thumb.jpg

I guess that one's done.

I'm going back to revisit a ship I did a while back. It's based technology from the Humanx Commonwealth Books by Alan Dean Foster. It's called the Aleksandr. It's a luxury yacht, and one of the few ships I've done that didn't come completely from my imagination.

build1018_thumb.jpg
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    rojren wrote: »
    build1018x_thumb.jpg build1018x1_thumb.jpg

I guess that one's done.

I'm going back to revisit a ship I did a while back. It's based technology from the Humanx Commonwealth Books by Alan Dean Foster. It's called the Aleksandr. It's a luxury yacht, and one of the few ships I've done that didn't come completely from my imagination.

build1018_thumb.jpg

You should have done Maxim Malaika's ship, the Glory Hole :D

Interesting take on the KK-drive. My understanding was that it was a solid concave surface. However, seeing as how I get my own questions* about the accuracy of my ships from the Honorverse, I'm not going to be picky about how you interpret the doublekay drive.

Don't know if you've seen these, but Foster's website has some very basic (and very small) drawings of KK-drive ships: http://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/frameset.htm Click on the yellow links on the left for the art.

Good, fun series. I go back and re-read it occasionally.

*Actually, it's more like people nitpicking because they think they know more about how the ships should look than I do, when I have a direct line to the author himself as to what his ships look like and what they do. For a perfect example of what I mean, read the comments here: http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/art/RolandClassDD-004-471275665
    Yeah, that's one of the many reasons I try not to interpret other people's work. "You did it wrong. The quantum-snot projector is 2cm too far to the right".

I actually visited Foster's website, looking for any updates on the ships, before I decided to re-visit the Aleksandr. I've always thought Foster missed a chance with his ships. It's hard to make a 'plunger in space with a balloon on the end' graceful, or majestic. The idea for the Posigravity (K-K, Double-K, Kurita-Kinosh ita) drive (how many authors give one thing multiple names?) needs a bit of flair that a plunger in space doesn't give.
    rojren wrote: »
    Yeah, that's one of the many reasons I try not to interpret other people's work. "You did it wrong. The quantum-snot projector is 2cm too far to the right".

I actually visited Foster's website, looking for any updates on the ships, before I decided to re-visit the Aleksandr. I've always thought Foster missed a chance with his ships. It's hard to make a 'plunger in space with a balloon on the end' graceful, or majestic. The idea for the Posigravity (K-K, Double-K, Kurita-Kinosh ita) drive (how many authors give one thing multiple names?) needs a bit of flair that a plunger in space doesn't give.

No kidding. I tried to sketch a design out about thirty years ago, and it ended up just looking silly. At least with your design, it is definitely interesting, and I mean that in a good way.

At least you don't have to deal with people commenting on your ships looking like dildos. :rolleyes:
    I haven't read any of Foster's non-Trek books, so I have to ask: Is it supposed to look like a sperm? I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I'm asking a serious question, because that's what it reminds me of.
    I haven't read any of Foster's non-Trek books, so I have to ask: Is it supposed to look like a sperm? I'm not trying to be funny or anything, I'm asking a serious question, because that's what it reminds me of.

First off, the front end is the open area - the four "prongs" Rogren has modeled. It generates a gravity well that the ship is drawn to, moving it forward, which then moves the gravity well forward, ad infinitum.

And what it's supposed to look like is exactly what Rogren mentioned above - a plumber's helper with a balloon stuck on the end of the handle. For general cargo and warships, the balloon is more or less spherical. For more luxurious or high-speed vessels, the design is a bit more elongated, with the drive projector looking more like a champagne glass, and the habitable end being a bit more streamlined.

2001's Discovery has been likened to sperm as well.
    MaxxRush wrote: »
    First off, the front end is the open area - the three "prongs" Rogren has modeled. It generates a gravity well that the ship is drawn to, moving it forward, which then moves the gravity well forward, ad infinitum.

And what it's supposed to look like is exactly what Rogren mentioned above - a plumber's helper with a balloon stuck on the end of the handle. For general cargo and warships, the balloon is more or less spherical. For more luxurious or high-speed vessels, the design is a bit more elongated, with the drive projector looking more like a champagne glass, and the habitable end being a bit more streamlined.

2001's Discovery has been likened to sperm as well.

There are many phallic ship designs. ;)

I was just curious. Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't really look like a plunger to me, but I get where rojren was trying to make it look cool while, at the same time, make it true to the description in the book.

Great job on the modeling as usual, rojren. :thumb:
    There are many phallic ship designs. ;)

No! Really? I'm shocked... SHOCKED I tell you! :o

Tell me... have you seen Flesh Gordon? No, that's *not* a typo. :D

The actual description in the series has the projector area as a full "bowl", and not pronged like Roj's, so that may be where you're missing the plunger resemblance. It's also supposed to be a much shallower bowl than his design would indicate.