Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• rojrenrojren2350 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,984Member
    0103_thumb.jpg

Tag: 0000 810005-0007221
    Type: Deep Explorer
    (Orion 000.89-10010.84)
    Culture: Cascade Alliance
    Est. Age: 86 thousand years
    Size: 2.4km
    Nickname: Sciathan

build0103_thumb.jpg
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    If they are derelicts how come they look brand new?
    Uhm...

Space is vast and mostly empty. And not all luck is bad.

or, maybe-

They're examples of superior construction materials and methods.

or, maybe-

Wreckage goes into a different catalog.

I haven't applied any materials or textures to any of these ships - just some colors. I probably should look into that. At present, I'm not able to devote a computer to the rendering time required.

I did make one with some damage a while back : link
    Looks like an anchor screw.

build0105_thumb.jpg
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    If they are derelicts how come they look brand new?

This is where the tropes of science fiction removed from the science misdirect people. About the most damage a spacecraft drifting through empty space unattended and abandoned will be from radiation effects, which can anneal and make brittle some metals, however, over a long period of time. And like rojren states, if your materials technology advances along with other technologies (which in contemporary science fiction it often does not) then even radiation damage accumlated over thousands of years will not be a problem. (Most of the radiation a ship might suffer from would be from its own drive/reactor--if you are sticking to HSF.)

I was looking at ISS photos for indications of the kind of true "weathering" that can be expected in space, and the only thing I could find appeared to be heat discoloration on the airlock outer hatch (which is looks to be a fabric membrane) and on some metal structures. It mostly still looks pristine.
    I always assumed (without any evidence) that a major problem with ancient ships would be charged dust collecting on the surfaces. Oh, wait... in 2010: Odyssey Two, Discovery I was covered with sulphur, wasn't it?

Anyway. Going for an all-out Art Deco look - again.

build0106x_thumb.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804257 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice, I like Art Deco. :)

The Discovery in 2010 was a different set of circumstances than a ship just floating in the (relatively) clean vacuum of space. It was left near Jupiter and many of its moons. Jupiter has traces of sulfur in its upper atmosphere, though it's hard to say if that much would have collected on the ship in 9 years. Jupiter also has 3 rings of dust floating around it, some of that may have also collected on the Discovery. You also have to factor in crap that flies towards Jupiter due to its massive gravity. People who think ships should stay clean in space typically don't factor in where a ship may be flying or floating. A ship that routinely flies in and out of solar systems and/or other interstellar phenomena is going to have at least some stuff hit its hull.
    As you said, Discovery was around a decade old. Some of these ships have been rotating about the galactic center for millions or billions of years. Lots of chances to cross dusty regions.

After I get tired of this one, I'll try damaging it.
    Self repairing hull material may clean itself by collecting the dust for raw materials.
    That's a good idea.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Spacecraft in deep space will be very clean, although those travelling at relativistic speeds will have some pitting on the forward surfaces from where thye have slammed into microscopic dust particles. Spacecraft which perform launches and re-entires can be expected to be about as dirty as aircraft, perhaps a little more so depending on the type of atmopsheres thye fly through upon launch and landing. Ships going through the galactic core will get more dust on them than those in the outer parts of the galaxy, but even then it will be a very slow build-up, and the speeds thye are travelling at dust is more likely to make little craters than it is to pile up on the surface.

Discovery in 2010 (really good film by the way) was dirty because Io ejects quite a lot of volcanic material out of it's gravity well and into the jupiter system where it becomes involved in huge electrical current loops between io and the main planet, it also contributes to jupiter's almost invisible ring system. Some of this would end up on any ship orbiting Io though it might be a little slower than 2010 would suggest.
    Added colors. (That's more involved than it sounds.)

build0107_thumb.jpg
    Added spaceship-type things. (Some of the joins look sloppy until they're finalized.)

build0112_thumb.jpg build0112x_thumb.jpg
    Looking good so far. :thumb:
    Added some markings, more colors. Made a few tweeks.

build0113x_thumb.jpg build0113x1_thumb.jpg
    Pretty done. Thinking on what the damage will look like.

build0115x_thumb.jpg build0115xx_thumb.jpg build0115xx1_thumb.jpg
    It looks great. I really like the variety of ships that you design. :)
    Thanks evil. It's one of the bonuses of being indecisive and unfocused.

Here's a beginning on a damaged version. I've drilled a hole through the ship, removed parts of the hull, and cut some shapes out, for internal stuff. I'm playing with how to get some irregular shapes in AutoCAD.

destruct0116_thumb.jpg
    You definitely have a gift for the truly alien that is superior to anything else in sci-fi that I've seen.
    That's cool so far. In other programs, I'd suggest a lot of textures to create a "destroyed" look, but I'm not sure what all AutoCad has.
    Thank you, psCargile. Part of me is a bit disturbed by that, since I'm not really trying that hard for alien designs.

evil: AutoCAD has many options and abilities. But they have a tendency to be buggy as hell, and not that well thought out. I broke out a manual, and I'm reviewing my options.

Added more internal structures.

destruct0118_thumb.jpg
    The internal structures are looking good.
    Carved out more rooms.

Reminds me of an M.C. Escher print.

destruct0119_thumb.jpg
    So. Explosion. Molten metals - or whatever splashing around... Hmmnn.

build0123_thumb.jpg build0123a_thumb.jpg
    I think I'm done with the 'splash'.

Now, I need to learn (re-learn) how to put materials on it, and add some more color inside the damaged area.

destruct0126_thumb.jpg destruct0126x_thumb.jpg destruct0126x1_thumb.jpg
    Yeah, it definitely needs some materials to make it look damaged. Right now, it looks like a messed up sail.
    I've read through one manual, on adding materials and I have another much thicker one to go through.

Until I get through that, I'll work on this ship.

Tag: 0000 100212-0416308
    Type: Cargo Hauler
    (Orion 010.22-80153.70)
    Culture: Suutandre Kunnic
    Est. Age: 16 thousand years
    Size: 615m
    Nickname: Truncheon

truncheon_thumb.jpg
    Built the basic shape, cut some doors into it, and started on some details.

build0128x_thumb.jpg
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Cool. It makes me think of a retro-future art deco diesel locomotive. :cool:
    bosun wrote: »
    Cool. It makes me think of a retro-future art deco diesel locomotive. :cool:

Yeah, me too. I like it. :)