Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Trek: Retribution

• Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    ra3867 said:
    So, Garr is basically a borg-tech terminator now? and what happened to Kristy? was she destroyed/damaged during the anti-time reaction?

I think I saw in the credits that Kristy is indeed present. As what though, I don't know if it's the real one or the android one.

As with what tnpir4002 said:
    With Borg modifications, who knows how long Reyf could actually live with them.

And for those whining about the voices, you gotta remember that back in Shakespearean time and before, all the women parts were played by men. So, I'm not taken back too much by it. :)
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    In a TV show, when you have a commercial break, when the show returns, they show a few seconds of "scenery" (outside the ship, the front gate, the stage, etc - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EstablishingShot, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StandardizedSpaceViews) to give the audience time to tune back in to the show. In a feature movie, there is no commercial break, and "scenery" is only shown when the plot requires it.

Broadcasting and media production is what my degree is in, so you don't have to explain it to me!

Krang: "You don't have to explain it to me, I invented it, remember?"
    Shredder: "I wasn't explaining it to you!" (points to camera) "I was explaining it to them!"
    -TMNT 3x27, "Super Rocksteady and Mighty Bebop"

Seriously, you were beating that drum through most of Specter, but that was just how I was producing that movie. I didn't always have an option because of the music cues I was using; remember that I don't have the luxury of writing a custom score and I have to use what I can. A lot of the music cues that fit the mood I wanted were long enough that I had to add something for padding. (I never heard you suggest any alternatives during Specter, anyway, this time if you don't like a production element I expect an alternative to be suggested.)

Regardless, this time things aren't going to work quite the same way though. (Did you see an exterior shot tacked on to the end of clip #6?)
    The Fitzgerald is going to be cloaked through most of Act II anyway. So it won't matter.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Not to cause a headache about time travel.

If Evil Garr travelling back in time to alter the course of his history, therefore, good Garr never did the anti time experiments etc that sent him back in time,

So when evil Garr meets up with Reyf in the scene we have just seen, Reyf shouldn really remember him in that evil way or the time experiment, and I think it makes for a more interesting scene, that he wouldnt know this version of Garr, but evil Garr knows a hell of a lot about him.

When I think of evil Garr, You should think of him in the same way as in how the alternate universe Yar was handled,
    - He has traveled back in time from an alternate future
    - His personality and personal history is very different from this universes Garr, so each has experienced different events.
    By all accounts, as soon as he travelled back in time, all information about Evil Garr should be rendered moot, as no one knows anything about this evil verison.

I think you should have Evil Garr reference past events to Reyf etc, but obviously Reyf has no idea what he is talking about or remembers it differently

Like the scene in TNG Reribution, where Sela is talking to Picard about how he sent Yar back in time, but as it happened in an alternate future, he has no idea what she is talking about.

Overall, With Evil Garr, you really can amp up how bad a person he is now, as no one knows anything about him or what he is capable off, and he is older and more dangerous than this universes counterpart
    @Dr-Timelord: there's just one problem, the end of Specter clearly established that although his going back did have an effect, it didn't seriously damage the timeline the way everyone was afraid it might. There's still Good Garr (what we'll call Garr I) somewhere in this timeline (and we will meet him later on, I just haven't decided how yet), and now we also have Evil Garr (we'll call him Garr II), but in a very real sense we don't know anything about him.

All Reyf knows is what he saw in Specter, so when he sees this apparition, he's rightly terrified because not only is he supposed to be dead, he's also a lot meaner than he was before, and until he gives his "Borg nanoprobes rebuilt me over the course of an agonizing nine months" speech, we don't know why.

Sorry but the set-up at the end of Specter means we're stuck with a few things:
    • Reyf remembers the entire "Garr mission" as detailed in the events of Specter, as does his crew
    • Garr II's history is exactly as Reyf remembers it, up to the point when he got catapulted back in time. There's a lot we still don't know about what happened after that, but it made him a really, REALLY unpleasant fellow.

Personally, I think knowing those details full well actually makes Garr II that much more terrifying. Knowing Reyf was afraid of him before, seeing his obvious terror now, gives us a pretty good idea of what we're facing this time around.
  • DrToiletDrToilet0 Posts: 0Member
    Dr-Timelord: I know I'm the noob but it could be pre-destination, the event in specter had always effected the timeline.

Just a thought: What if the current Garr has some alternate universe stuff going on as well. Could explain some stuff from Specter.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    Broadcasting and media production is what my degree is in, so you don't have to explain it to me!

Krang: "You don't have to explain it to me, I invented it, remember?"
    Shredder: "I wasn't explaining it to you!" (points to camera) "I was explaining it to them!"
    -TMNT 3x27, "Super Rocksteady and Mighty Bebop"

Seriously, you were beating that drum through most of Specter, but that was just how I was producing that movie. I didn't always have an option because of the music cues I was using; remember that I don't have the luxury of writing a custom score and I have to use what I can. A lot of the music cues that fit the mood I wanted were long enough that I had to add something for padding. (I never heard you suggest any alternatives during Specter, anyway, this time if you don't like a production element I expect an alternative to be suggested.)

Regardless, this time things aren't going to work quite the same way though. (Did you see an exterior shot tacked on to the end of clip #6?)

yeah, i was beating that drum lol. My alternative was just to cut it out - i know nothing about scoring :)
    And i made my statement here, dont worry - i figured if i'd link to some tropes you'd understand my complaints. But i wont complain about it anymore during this thread
    tnpir4002 wrote:
    The Fitzgerald is going to be cloaked through most of Act II anyway. So it won't matter.
    Those externals should be easy to render! :p
    Alright campers, next one's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024WI2Pd8ik

I'm planning to post three more, and then we'll have our campfire chat about the rest of the plot.

For those who want to know (and I'm sure they're out there), the three final clips are:
    Star Trek Retribution Preview Clip 00008: "Engineering" - Admiral Reyf visits Commander Mitchell in Main Engineering and asks her to make a specific adjustment to the flow patterns in the plasma distribution system. At the end of the scene, the Fitzgerald arrives at the rendezvous point.

Star Trek Retribution Preview Clip 00009: "The Scarecrow" - Upon arriving at the coordinates where they were supposed to meet the Vaxis, the crew instead discovers the lifeless hulk of the warbird, savagely attacked as an obvious warning for them to turn back. Reyf refuses to do that, and Prentice refuses to go forward, until Ronston notices that the Romulan ship's cloaking device is still intact. Prentice reluctantly authorizes a salvage operation at the insistence of Commander Mitchell, who insists she can make it work aboard their own ship.

Star Trek Retribution Preview Clip 00010: "Ten Forward" - With the Fitzgerald safely cloaked and en route to New Romulus, Captain Prentice confronts Admiral Reyf in Ten Forward about the irregularities surrounding their mission--which existed even before Garr paid them a visit.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    On these past 2 clips, the scenes play out in a way like this episode of TNG I just saw, where Bok tries to exact his revenge on Captain Picard. He used some sort of subspace transporter to get on the Enterprise without anyone detecting him.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    I can't think of the title right off, but I know exactly which one you're talking about. The difference is, Bok's transporter only worked across a distance of a few light-years. Garr is who knows how many light-years away, and as they all mention, it's just a hologram :)
    wouldnt Garr suspect that they might be able to salvage a cloak and sneak into romulan space? and furthermore, why doesn't the Fitzy have a cloak pre-installed for this mission? we know from the Pegasus that the Federation was in possession of advanced cloaking tech, and from AGT when the Ent D had a cloak installed, and that the Treaty of Algeron was no longer in effect as Romulas was busy preparing to annihilate the Federation.
    that said, i like how this is turning out, but i must question: Whenever we've seen HoloComs, its always been a small platform that projects the hologram, rather than emitters installed throughout the room/ship
    And furthermore, there should be a kill-code installed (ex post facto) to disrupt HoloComs in order to prevent Garr from pulling the same stunt again, as well as perhaps shield modifications preventing his signal from coming through. Of course, Rule Of Plot will always rule the day, but... :D
    Well remember, this is post USS Prometheus, so we're assuming by this point that holoemitters are everywhere for use by the EMH. I tried to work that bit of info into the conversation, but no matter how I tried it came out sounding awkward, so I had to leave it out. (As for the kill code, Prentice did order Hargrove to figure out how to keep it from happening again, but in any case this is Garr's last holographic visit to the Fitzgerald)
    See this only if you really want to know:
    Ya know, I honestly thought about going that route, since as you say we already know they've got the technology--but there's one reason I didn't, and this is going to play a part later: a Starfleet-designed cloak would be too "perfect" for my tastes, since it would be designed specifically to work aboard Federation starships. Instead, as we saw in "The Search," using a piece of Romulan equipment aboard a Starfleet vessel is an imperfect match, and it can cause its own share of problems.
    By the way guys, put a new clip up that you should see.

@homer: advance to 12:24
    @Dr-Timelord: advance to 12:50

I think you'll both be happy how this turned out!
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Wow nice job on the corridors.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    how are you able to upload 20 minute videos to youtube?
    @IRML: apparently there was a rule change this past December with regards to video length, and accounts that were in good standing with regards to copyrights and such were allowed to upload videos of "unlimited length" (this information courtesy of Wikipedia). I've tried it, and apparently it's not actually unlimited--three hours of Specter was rejected because it was too long--but I haven't found the upper limit yet.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    wierd because recently I noticed they changed it to allow videos of 15 minutes, up from 10 I think, but nowhere said unlimited
    i saw an hour and a half movie up recently. it was a film made from gta 4 clips
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    i saw an hour and a half movie up recently. it was a film made from gta 4 clips

Damn... I didn't know there was enough storyline footage in a GTA game to make anything of an hour and a half...

On another note, I love Prentice's comment: 'We're doomed...'
    @IRML: the Wikipedia entry for YouTube suggests the 10-minute rule was instituted in March 2006, revised up to 15 in July 2010. Also according to the Wiki, the latest revision up to "unlimited" occurred in December 2010, but no further details are available. The only way I even knew it was possible to go higher than 15 minutes on my account was an alert that shows up when I go to upload:
    Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video.

EDIT: @JM - that was written in as an homage to C-3PO. I'm shocked no one's picked up on Garr's remark about "living flesh over a titanium endoskeleton" yet...
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    EDIT: @JM - that was written in as an homage to C-3PO. I'm shocked no one's picked up on Garr's remark about "living flesh over a titanium endoskeleton" yet...

Nice :) Got a good laugh outta me :)
    As for the other one, isn't that terminator?
    @JM: yep...seemed appropriate given how so many people said his glowing red eyes in the last film were Terminator-esqe.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    tnpir, did you make those corridors?
    Haha. Now, as to that terminator description... How is he still Garr at all? And is he then part of the Collective in some way or another? Oh, it's also a little Darth Vader-Ish. More machine than man...
    @stfanboy: yes, I did. They were originally made for Specter but I could never find a way to work them in. Interestingly, these started life as the Voyager residential corridors, before getting redressed into what you see now. Not a bad job, if I do say so myself.
    @JM:
    He's still very much Braiyon Garr, the Borg didn't assimilate him, he just knew all about their technology thanks to his tenure at Starfleet Intelligence. They'd have access to everything Seven of Nine did aboard Voyager and all of her other knowledge as well, which means Garr has that as well.

As a matter of fact, you're closer than you realize with the Darth Vader reference--part of the reason Garr is so horribly evil now is because of nine months of agonizing pain while the nanoprobes fixed him, but it's also a definite case of Cybernetics Eat Your Soul.
    Ahhh.... Makes sense.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    I do like the backgroun you put In behind the starbase, looks very deep space :D
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I suppose when you finish the movie, you'll go back and fix Reyf's belt buckle. From the time Garr talks to Reyf onward the buckle is turned, but before that it is still upright.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    @oldmangreg: that's on the list, right below "add stars outside the observation lounge windows in Scene 5" :)
This discussion has been closed.