Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Trek: Retribution

• James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    Here's my guess. Prentice sees Reyf as a father figure who's too eager to check up on his son. He feels that Reyf doesn't have confidence in his captaining abilities.
  • F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    I can safely say, having read these so-called "guesses," that you are all sick people. That is all.

*takes a bow* Thank you. :-D
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    that last screenshot is a good candidate for some depth blur, look at the star trek movies and see what sort of depth of field they have on similar shots, then you can duplicate the blur realistically
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    @IRML: agreed, but the only way I know how to do it involves two planes, foreground and back, like the rack-focus shots that were popular in VOY. I'm not quite sure how to emulate that effect here...Bryce does have a depth-of-field engine, but it's insane in terms of render times.
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    What do you mean by rack shots?
    @JM: think about those times when Paris and Kim would be talking to each other, each at their stations. You'd have Paris on the left, Kim on the right, and the camera would be zoomed in so you could see both of them clearly. The shot would start off with Paris in focus as he talked, with Kim blurred out in the background; then when Kim would start talking, focus would shift to him, blurring out Paris in the foreground, then back again when Paris started to talk again.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    @JM: think about those times when Paris and Kim would be talking to each other, each at their stations. You'd have Paris on the left, Kim on the right, and the camera would be zoomed in so you could see both of them clearly. The shot would start off with Paris in focus as he talked, with Kim blurred out in the background; then when Kim would start talking, focus would shift to him, blurring out Paris in the foreground, then back again when Paris started to talk again.

cant you mimic that in post? i know youre not using AE (you should) but it shouldnt be terribly difficult. What about comping plates?
    @homer: that's what I do now, I have two layers, and as needed I adjust the focus on one of them. The problem is that this setup results in an either-or type scenario, I think what IRML meant was a gradual softening of the focus the nearer the objects get to the camera (so Falwell and Kal would be out of focus but Prentice and Reyf wouldn't be, and everyone in between would be in varying states of focus).
    well, just post the clip already :) even if its only half finished
    @homer: I'm working on it :) I'm afraid it's significantly less than half-finished at the moment though.
    @IRML: agreed, but the only way I know how to do it involves two planes, foreground and back, like the rack-focus shots that were popular in VOY. I'm not quite sure how to emulate that effect here...Bryce does have a depth-of-field engine, but it's insane in terms of render times.
    I do all my depth blurs in post, it works really well and it's fast, you should try it if you can
    @IRML: I know you've probably told me, but what program do you use for post-pro effects? Homer swears by Adobe Aftereffects, what's your weapon of choice?
    I swear by after effects also, you should see how pathetic my renders look before they've been through it

I did reply to your PM with a youtube link, so you can see some of my post effects in action, depth blur and some other post effects wouldn't cost you much render time, probably only a handful of seconds per frame, even my most advanced stuff in after effects doesn't go beyond 40 seconds per frame
    I did watch that clip, that's good stuff for sure. If that's what you can do with Aftereffects, I think the time may be right for me to invest in a copy.
    @IRML: I know you've probably told me, but what program do you use for post-pro effects? Homer swears by Adobe Aftereffects, what's your weapon of choice?

I swear by many things, but i only know about AE second-hand - i dont do any postwork outside of photoshop myself, and aside from some interesting but futile flash vids a few years ago, i stay out of animation as well. :)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I've been trying to be patient with everyone, but Buckaroohawk is exactly right.

Just trying to help keep all the cats herded. ;)
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    If you do go and buy After FX, I came across this if itll help any: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/871900
    @Toa: that's good info, thanks!

Next clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbtunfmo5M

This is the first half of the planned scene, the second half to follow either tomorrow or the next day.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    I hope its tomorrow. After the ending of every scene so far has kept me glued to this thread.
    @stfanboy: I hope it's tomorrow too! :)

By the way guys:
    Production notes indicate that fans had reacted negatively to the concept of a human again leading the Romulan fleet in the wake if the events of Nemesis, and that this briefing scene originally included several lines of dialogue to address that plot point. Those lines were later cut when it was felt that they slowed down the scene to an unacceptable degree.

You can also read my synopsis and analysis of this scene at The Wiki.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Cool. One piece of advice:
    Unless Admiral Reyf's belt buckle is made of a soft flexible material it should be turned sideways. Otherwise when he sits down it will poke him in the stomach.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    @oldmangreg: Nice catch, I didn't even think about that.
  • bryguy78bryguy780 Posts: 0Member
    If I may ask; why revert the observation lounge back to an earlier design? The back wall looks like it did back in the TNG days, and not the updated look from Specter with the wall monitor and console. Was this part of the design shift (like the bridge) when the timeline changed? This is just mild curiosity on my part.
    @bryguy: the "in universe" explanation is exactly as you said, the result of the alternate timeline. The "real world" explanation is that this version of the set renders up a lot faster than the other one, with the wall screen and such.

Nothing wrong with curiosity, mild or otherwise. :)
    Do you still need help with the story?
    @oldmangreg: I didn't say I needed help :) What I said was I might want to consult! There's a few more scenes I want to post and then we'll open the floor to "where to from here?" ideas. Just like Specter, I have an outline for what's going to happen, but the specifics have yet to be hammered out.
    @tnpir: Yea that's what I meant.... *cough* :D
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    ^^ Gotta love that optimism :D
    I told you, Retribution is going to be darker and edgier than Specter was. These are grown-up characters, and Reyf in particular is going to be dark and mysterious this time instead of The Woobie. Same characters, more mature personalities.

The next scene is going to be QUITE good. :) Stay tuned!
This discussion has been closed.