Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Trek: Retribution

• Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    So far I like what you have.

I recently just watched the shuttle scene, its looks great so far, the ship reveal is a nice homage to ST IV

BUT!
    Your opening credits, everything is fine BUT I really think the main title shouldnt just fade it, it needs to POP, and what I am thinking of in like in TWOK, The Words STAR TREK Zoom into the screen, and then the subtitle appears below, I think that would work better with the music.

Or at least have the words STAR TREK appear in bigger and bolder fashion, then bring in Retribution

I like how they did that for every season opening for TNG, Always the work STAR TREK, then the tng title would fade in a few seconds later, They ditched that with DS9 and VOY which was not good in my opinion
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    @Capt Dave: when the time comes to audition voice actors, you'll have a shot just like everyone else if you want to throw your hat in.

@Dr-Timelord: this is just a rough cut, that's not the final title sequence. (It's basically just the Specter title sequence recolored.) Don't worry, I've got a nice reveal for the title planned, I just didn't want to get bogged down preparing it just now.

Also guys, I'm instituting a new rule. During the production of Specter, there was about a half-and-half mix of folks who gave useful feedback, and people who just complained. The former helped make Specter the best production it could be, while the latter simply got on my nerves, and also got ignored. So far on Retribution, it's been 70-30 in favor of folks just complaining--with the top two subjects being voices and the "human leading the Romulans" plotline. I've already made my feelings known about the voice issue. As for the plotline, that is the basic plot and it's not going to change. If you don't have faith in me to pull it off better than they did in Nemesis, that's up to you. (I'm disappointed though, because doing it better than Nemesis wouldn't be hard.)

Going forward, I'm putting a new rule in place: if you just complain about something, your comment will be ignored; if you want your comment to be heard and taken seriously, if you don't like something, you must make at least one concrete suggestion about how you think I could make it better.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    (I'm disappointed though, because doing it better than Nemesis wouldn't be hard.)
    [/B]

:D
    I can't watch any of the scenes until the last part of Spector goes up.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    i think the ship reveal needs to be slower and with a bigger build-up. the scene from the end of ST:V and in general the movie reveals of the enterprise (except TMP, that was waay too long) should be a good enough guide - obviously id like to see your own flavor of it, but you get the idea.

its been 10 years since we last saw the Fitzy, if theres any indication, there have been refits and upgrades along the way. Besides those two [dorky] antennas on top of the saucer, make some minor-but-visible structural changes to the mesh (time and budget permitting, of course). The nacelles would be a good place to start; add a bit of TMP-Ent flair to the nacelles while keeping the essence of the galaxy nacelles. or maybe a bit of Voyager or Sovvy influence in places. As i said, nothing major.

Story: If your "Starfleet Envoy" joining the Fitzy is indeed Admiral Rayf, i would suggest moving his character to a different entrance to the story - otherwise its too predictable, IMO.
    Have you looked at using Carrara to render your Bryce scenes?
    Also, shrink the combadges by about 1/4, and make them a tiny drop narrower. Rduda i believe has a whole collection of combadges over at sharecg; might be useful. If you can get Warrior to tweak the uniform textures a bit, i think it would really help. What id like to see is a bump map for the quilted pattern on the shoulders (i can probably do it myself), or maybe some faint lines to bring it out.

For the romulan sets, drop Taranis a line, he's got quite a few, im sure theres plenty you could work with. Fretslayer's got some klingon sets as well, you can probably just color them green and use those for some romulan rooms.

Plot: You asked for feedback on the clips, please dont bite our heads off for suggesting that the human*-controlling-romulans is a Bad Idea. Weve all seen Nemesis. Throw us a bone (without too much spoilers) and help us understand your direction a bit.

Do you think the Starfleet Envoy should be someone that has to be picked up along the way, ala shuttle scene from TMP
    To give newcomers the idea of the kind of perfectionism for which I strive, the voiceover recording for Scene 4: "The Bridge" is 10 minutes long. The scene times at less than a third of that time.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    I think a Normal+bump map would do the uniform shoulders a major improvement, not too severe, but just enough to bring out the obvious ribbing. But I've also provided a link to La forge in the FC uniform and AGT comm badge costume, i think that'd be perfect for any resizing reference.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    To give newcomers the idea of the kind of perfectionism for which I strive, the voiceover recording for Scene 4: "The Bridge" is 10 minutes long. The scene times at less than a third of that time.

Only 10 minutes? Is that the final dialog cut which you then trimmed to the scene, or is that the total amount of time you spent recording in order to get the voices right? Either way, thats pretty good!

(and forget the uniforms, ill give that a go myself)
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    SWEET!!!! Love the first three web-isodes.

Red glowing eyes of our favorite villain, and a Romulan-Human "genetically-engineered" Reyf clone. I wasn't expecting the Fitz' to be sitting in spacedock, powered-down. I expected her to be in a formation along the newly-reinvigorated Neutral Zone. Rimward station should've been Orion, Nausicaan with a few raiders watching for rivals or Starfleet or worse, something implying an ongoing accomplice or two to be named later.
    Only 10 minutes? Is that the final dialog cut which you then trimmed to the scene, or is that the total amount of time you spent recording in order to get the voices right? Either way, thats pretty good!

(and forget the uniforms, ill give that a go myself)

Cant wait to see what you can do, new uniforms.. cool, Belt Buckles included?

Yeah come to think of it, why was the Ship powered down? That is a bit usual ...
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    That is a bit usual ...

I've always found it unusual that they leave them powered up. ;)

Great work on the movie so far, tnpr. :thumb: Is there any chance you can tone down the bump maps on the Fitz? Right now, they look rather extreme.
    Cant wait to see what you can do, new uniforms.. cool, Belt Buckles included?

No, i"ll just attempt to retexture the existing uniforms
    @homer: regarding your comment that the reveal of the Fitzgerald should be slower, I'm open to suggestions as to how to pull it off. (Remember though whatever it winds up being, the music has to work with the scene as presented.)

I honestly thought about the ten introductions we have (STXI doesn't count), and I thought about the different ways they went about it for each one:
    -STI: you're right, too...long, especially since it was in two parts and we could see it clearly through the drydock. Music wouldn't really work for the scene though.
    -STII: a little better but still kind of slow. Music doesn't work for the scene though.
    -STIII: no real reveal to speak of in this sense
    -STIV: visually it works but the lead-in to the Enterprise theme isn't long enough and it doesn't really work (it can't be snipped at the right spot when we cut to the bridge)
    -STV: the initial reveal to the "Shakedown Cruise Report" cue is good but it doesn't really work; the second reveal against the moon fits because it lets the shuttle crew talk
    -STVI: no real reveal to speak of in this sense
    -STVII: reveal was part of an action sequence
    -STVIII: music would work with "Captain's Log" but not much else
    -STIX: too short and the feel of the music is wrong
    -STX: "Enterprise Flyover" has a good cue but it doesn't work here, and I dislike the flyover we got

STV came the closest to matching what I had originally envisioned, so that's the template I went with. I'm very willing to entertain suggestions though.
    I was thinking the STV reveal at the end, when they see the 1701-A in all her glory. Basically, a STV/2 reveal+ a bit of TMP/STII where applicable. Its really your call how to pull it off, just my $0.02.

I;d also appreciate some remarks on the rest of my post :p
    @homer: just remember, you asked for it :-p
    i think the ship reveal needs to be slower and with a bigger build-up. the scene from the end of ST:V and in general the movie reveals of the enterprise (except TMP, that was waay too long) should be a good enough guide - obviously id like to see your own flavor of it, but you get the idea.

Already discussed this one. I'll have to think about it...not sure how to meld that concept with the scene as presented.
    its been 10 years since we last saw the Fitzy, if theres any indication, there have been refits and upgrades along the way. Besides those two [dorky] antennas on top of the saucer, make some minor-but-visible structural changes to the mesh (time and budget permitting, of course). The nacelles would be a good place to start; add a bit of TMP-Ent flair to the nacelles while keeping the essence of the galaxy nacelles. or maybe a bit of Voyager or Sovvy influence in places. As i said, nothing major.

Can't actually modify the mesh, I don't have the ability :) I'll see if I can add a few greebles here and there without making it look too unnatural.
    Story: If your "Starfleet Envoy" joining the Fitzy is indeed Admiral Rayf, i would suggest moving his character to a different entrance to the story - otherwise its too predictable, IMO.

Gonna disagree with you on this one. The problem I have with this idea is that it feels too much like TMP, and not in a good way; with them having Spock rendezvous with them the way they did, it seemed to take the focus off the mission too much and make that its own affair. The envoy arriving while they're still in spacedock will help move things along a bit smoother, since there won't have to be any filler between their departure and the real mission briefing.
    Have you looked at using Carrara to render your Bryce scenes?

Can't say that I have. I know DAZ is going Carrara with all their stuff, so it at least merits some consideration.
    Also, shrink the combadges by about 1/4, and make them a tiny drop narrower. Rduda i believe has a whole collection of combadges over at sharecg; might be useful. If you can get Warrior to tweak the uniform textures a bit, i think it would really help. What id like to see is a bump map for the quilted pattern on the shoulders (i can probably do it myself), or maybe some faint lines to bring it out.

Those AGT combadges are actually part of the package you mention :) I started to use his Future Imperfect badges, but the individual rank bars can't be adjusted in color to reflect the rank of the wearer. And there actually is a bump map for the STFC uniforms, but it doesn't show up at the render settings I'm using. And if you want to tweak the uniforms a bit, be my guest; you'll get credited accordingly.
    For the romulan sets, drop Taranis a line, he's got quite a few, im sure theres plenty you could work with. Fretslayer's got some klingon sets as well, you can probably just color them green and use those for some romulan rooms.

I did, he gave me his Romulan bridge and corridor sets to work with. The man I really want to hear from is SeanR, who modeled an exquisite Romulan bridge that would be perfect for my needs. I sent him a PM here and through his site, but thus far no response.
    Plot: You asked for feedback on the clips, please dont bite our heads off for suggesting that the human*-controlling-romulans is a Bad Idea. Weve all seen Nemesis. Throw us a bone (without too much spoilers) and help us understand your direction a bit.

Wasn't trying to bite heads off, I just get sick of hearing constant complaints without anything of substance to back them up. I want the feedback I get to be useful, don't forget--constantly being nagged about voices when I've clearly expressed my plans for that gets very old very fast, as do complaints about the basic plotline, when it hasn't even been fully established yet. I understand the complaints about Nemesis, believe me, and I can assure you I have no intention of falling into the same pithole.

I would say everyone should be patient and wait for Scene 5, which is when we get brought up to speed on how it happened and why, but if you want to know that badly, here you go:
    Remember that in Nemesis, Shinzon took over by exterminating the Senate, a coup d'etat as it were. I always figured they followed him out of a sense of fear and self-preservation, rather than any true loyalty or respect. The main problem with Shinzon as far as I can see is the Reman aspect--the whole "repressed people" thing came more or less out of nowhere, and seemed dubious at best since it was the first we'd heard of them. In the end, he lost because no one wanted to see the Federation wiped out.

Things are different now. Remember, the Romulans have seen a decade of bloody civil war, and the factions have been at each others' throats the entire time. Then all of a sudden things change, and their sun goes nova, wiping out their homeworld in the bargain. They think it's just a natural disaster, until they learn that [allegedly] a Federation starship was responsible. Now all of a sudden, they want revenge on the Federation, but none of the faction leaders trust one another to lead the fight, so they turn to the person who brought them the evidence to begin with, who they feel they can trust. They unite behind the notion that if the Federation destroyed their home system, they must pay the price, and Drakus promises to help them make it happen.
    No, i"ll just attempt to retexture the existing uniforms

Actually, you may wanna look at Admiral Paris and Ross uniforms, they were FC type with belt buckles and a touch of gold trim, I think Admiral Thornton's unifom could use a bit of tweaking/updating too if you have the time.

And in all honesty, I think the new reveal is a bit of a waste of time. Think about it, while it's been 10 years in-universe, it _HASNT_ for your audience, it's been months, maybe a year tops. You're wasting precious screentime repeating something you've already done in the previous episode with no real added benefit. If anything I think the reveal should be much shorter, a single shuttle swingby while they're talking, just to show the ship hasn't changed in 10 years then move on...
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    You mean more like the reveal in ST X?

The camera follows the shuttle as it flies by to reveal the ship, yeah that does seem a better choice, but I think he said he was having trouble finding the right music cue
    @homer: just remember, you asked for it :-p

The man I really want to hear from is SeanR, who modeled an exquisite Romulan bridge that would be perfect for my needs. I sent him a PM here and through his site, but thus far no response.
    SeanR is away for a while, dont remember how long or when he"ll be back. Ger and Darryl might know. if you can email me the uniform you're using for the main characters and the admirals version, id appreciate that.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice job! Looking forward to more of this.
    do you have bump maps for the uniform, or you meant the texture itself has bumps?
    I thought I had the bump maps for this but I can't find them now. These are Warrior's uniforms from 3DGladiators, so if you go download the STFC uniforms from there I'm sure it'll be in the ZIP file.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    tnpir,

I just read over the last few recent posts here and I want to tell you how extremely impressed (and, quite frankly, astonished) I am at how much work you put into your films. The depth of your characterizations, plotlines, scene set-ups, and even musical cues is staggering to me. If only The Powers That Be in the film and TV industries placed this kind of effort into all their various projects, modern visual media would truly be a wonder to behold. I look forward to watching your stuff more than I do most movies and TV shows. You have a grand imagination as well as a firm grasp of the technical aspects of good storytelling and I want you to know how much I respect that.

Okay, end of congratulatory speech. We now return to this thread already in progress.
    While I was wandering around town, I was day dreaming about how you would do a great camera pan onto a starship, cant shut my brain off lmao
  • TheGreatRajaTheGreatRaja171 Posts: 0Member
    tnpir,

I just read over the last few recent posts here and I want to tell you how extremely impressed (and, quite frankly, astonished) I am at how much work you put into your films. The depth of your characterizations, plotlines, scene set-ups, and even musical cues is staggering to me. If only The Powers That Be in the film and TV industries placed this kind of effort into all their various projects, modern visual media would truly be a wonder to behold. I look forward to watching your stuff more than I do most movies and TV shows. You have a grand imagination as well as a firm grasp of the technical aspects of good storytelling and I want you to know how much I respect that.

Okay, end of congratulatory speech. We now return to this thread already in progress.

With this kind of effort it has always amazed me why someone doesn't choose to do a true independent film, rather than play in some one's else's realm, but it Star War, Star trek or Any of the other shows that have a huge fan base. I know 99% of the time they do it for the love of the show, this I understand, but it still amazes me. I'm not basing your efforts, just wondering what you could do with a vehicle of you own design (and be vehicle I mean show)
    @TheGreatRaja: Why General Ivanova, how nice to see you after all these years :) There was actually a discussion on Metafilter about that exact point (I didn't take part because I only stumbled across it after the fact), some good points on both sides: http://www.metafilter.com/98022/FanFiction-Fully-Rendered
    It says the Fitzgerald is an Entente-class starship. Lol
    With this kind of effort it has always amazed me why someone doesn't choose to do a true independent film, rather than play in some one's else's realm,

I'm always interested in independant projects, but i think today its hard to come up with something truly original that isnt in someway influeneced by Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galatica, Babylon 5, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate and all its spin offs, even Doctor Who

I suppose in a way, all the above have influenced each other in some way, but it would be great to see something Original, but again most people or creators will try to do something Original in an already established Universe
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    It says the Fitzgerald is an Entente-class starship. Lol

Lol, that's a fan wank as it is. I remember arguing for hours with Rob Caves over renaming his Galaxy Class Refit to "entente" class. I reasoned that if all the Miranda variants, save the Soyuz Class and all the Constitution variants still stayed Miranda and Constitution, why should the Galax REfit be any different?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Nadesico wrote: »
    Lol, that's a fan wank as it is. I remember arguing for hours with Rob Caves over renaming his Galaxy Class Refit to "entente" class. I reasoned that if all the Miranda variants, save the Soyuz Class and all the Constitution variants still stayed Miranda and Constitution, why should the Galax REfit be any different?

I thought it was funny because David Metlesits's Polaris fights a Federation-class USS Entente.
    Next clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzl35XukYA

This advances the story but is admittedly devoid of eye candy, and re-uses some graphics from Specter. That's why it's a preview clip :)

I'm only going to post a few more of these preview clips before things really kick off. At that point I may want to consult with several of you (homerpalooza especially since you volunteered!) regarding how the rest of the movie plays out.
This discussion has been closed.