Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Trek: Retribution

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Don't forget the Romulan Ale...

Hmm that should be a joke thrown in for good measure. Like:
    "Garr has been drinking too much of that Romulan Ale."
    "Isn't Romulan Ale illegal?"
    "Do you honestly think Garr cares?"
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    ^lol!
    @tnpir: tropes? again??? :p

Which corridors are being referenced here?
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    So far in Retribution the only Federation corridors we've seen are the residential corridors, located on the same set as the senior officers' quarters and Ten Forward. That's what everyone's talking about.

(And of course there are TVTropes! Most of the latter part of Specter was written after looking at the TVTropes site you know)
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    So far in Retribution the only Federation corridors we've seen are the residential corridors, located on the same set as the senior officers' quarters and Ten Forward. That's what everyone's talking about.

(And of course there are TVTropes! Most of the latter part of Specter was written after looking at the TVTropes site you know)

those are different than the fitzy corridors in Specter? Any chance you have some wallpaper-renders of those available? :flippy:
    Sorry to disappoint, but I never did any substantial renders of any of the corridor sets from Specter :) The main corridor set needs some major, major work before I can show it. The old version looks horrible from my perspective, but then again I see every tiny imperfection. Stay tuned on that...
    Also, I'm kind of surprised no one's picked up on Ronston's remark about the holographic communications system: "You should've never had that damned holocommunicator installed." As close attention as I know some people paid to Specter, I would've hoped someone would've picked up on the fact that Reyf said exactly the same thing :D
    Alright guys, next one's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XQWo4yx5Os

This one's really short but worth looking at anyway!
  • lennier1lennier1917 Posts: 1,286Member
    Nice scene, but apparently the bridge's problem with that scorched carpet is spreading. ;)
    @lennier: remember that these are just preview clips and I'm using the sets as-is. The texture there is identical to the one on the bridge :) I'll fix it before I start producing this thing in earnest.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    well after doing some searching and finding this animation clip I know what the last shot of your movie should be :D
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    tnpir: Check out the simple header/banner I made for your youtube account or fan-production wiki.
    87305.png
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    tnpir: Check out the simple header/banner I made for your youtube account or fan-production wiki.

@Hellsgate: I would get rid of one of those symbols and move the other to the center.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Old Man Greg:

Okay, I've re-touched the wiki header/banner image as suggested.
    87327.png
    It does remind me alot of the ST Nemesis logo, or is it meant to do that?
    @Dr-Timelord: I've seen that clip, that refit 1701-D is a sweet design, and the shot is pretty cool too. We'll see though :)

In the meantime, an update for all y'all: the next preview clip is coming along nicely, but I'm having trouble picking a piece of music (or pieces, as the case may be). I'm going to post it with a temporary track to transition from the previous clip in Engineering, but the rest of it is going to be just the scene, no music. I'll be looking to you guys to recommend pieces of score to use behind this scene, whether single tracks or multiple pieces mixed together.

Look for that scene to be posted soon!

(By turns, generally speaking, I need something suspenseful, then dark/somber, then towards the end something a little upbeat, you'll see why when the clip goes up.)
    Alright folks, next one's up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7EvRAGB3k

Just a reminder about the score: I need something here that's dark and suspenseful, then somber, then towards the very end starting to pick up just a bit, perhaps in preparation for a montage sequence. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have :)
  • bryguy78bryguy780 Posts: 0Member
    I actually think the scene works well without music. I can see wanting something at the end, between the turbolift and the beam over. Perhaps an external shot of the Fitzgerald and the warbird with some generic TNG scene change music?
    @bryguy: I see where you're coming from, I guess I should clarify that I'm looking at making the next scene a montage (starting with Mitchell and company transporting back with the cloaking device in hand), then installing it and testing it, all while Prentice records a captain's log about the situation.

I would spend some time inside the warbird, but there's two problems: one, even though I have a Romulan bridge and corridor set, I don't quite want to invest the time to make them look damaged like Trek usually does--it'd be for a quick one-shot, and while I admittedly did that with Specter, I don't quite want to spend that much time for something that short this time around.
    The scene plays quite well, how good are you are picking apart your Romulan Warbird to give it some extensive damage?

I think when the camera cuts to the view screen and we see the damaged warbird, this might be a good music que
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlGc6eScWs&playnext=1&list=PLEA6471DA4B6132C2
    or something simillar
    @Dr-Timelord: I actually decided to go with exactly that piece for the majority of the scene, it works quite well! Great minds think alike. :)

Now I just gotta have something that picks up when Prentice starts giving orders, and carries through long enough for a quick montage sequence showing the crew working on the cloaking device.

By the way surprised no one's asked about this:
    In the previous scene, Reyf has Renee come with him to the bridge, for no apparent reason. Then at the end of this one, she's in exactly the right position--as evidenced by her reaction to the sight of the Vaxis--to see how dangerous their situation is, and when her captain needs convincing, she's right there to assure him she's up to the task. Coincidence? Or does Reyf know something in advance? And why did he ask for that adjustment to the plasma grid, anyway?
    One bothers me: If that Rmulan warbird was wrecked, shouldn't there be like nothing left of it? Or at least just enough of it left?
    It's very unlikly that someone would leave a Romulan warbird around for someone to board it and scavenge the cloaking device.

Also, I have the soundtracks for all the movies, including the JJ one, if you need it.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    One bothers me: If that Rmulan warbird was wrecked, shouldn't there be like nothing left of it? Or at least just enough of it left?
    It's very unlikly that someone would leave a Romulan warbird around for someone to board it and scavenge the cloaking device.

I think when it comes back around to re rendering the scene, he'll prob add in a damaged warbird
    @oldmangreg: remember, the Vaxis is serving as someone's idea of a scarecrow here. If there was simply nothing left, it wouldn't be a very effective scarecrow, would it? In that scenario, the Fitzgerald crew would probably sit there for an entire act waiting for them to show up, or else conclude that they've just been stood up. Finding the hulk of a supposedly all-powerful Romulan battlecruiser is supposed to frighten them.
    By the way, guys, we're down to our last preview clip before I throw the floor open and you guys can all chip in with story ideas and where we go from here. I have a few "mile markers" but the blanks will be yours to fill in.

This one's going to take place in Ten Forward, after the Fitzgerald gets cloaked and underway towards New Romulus, between Reyf and Prentice. Hopefully this one won't take too horribly long to make. I feel certain you guys are going to really like this one...
    @Dr-Timelord: quite right, remember how I made the Fairgrieve look like it had been attacked in Specter. Same deal here, I just haven't done it yet. That's a fix that's right up there with adding LCARs animations on the consoles (I'm surprised no one's caught on that all the LCARs displays which should be animated on the bridge and in Engineering are dark.)
    i think a few pages bk you told ppl that it was wip so stop pointing things out lol :P
    @Dr-Timelord: I don't mind people pointing out things. But I draw the line at people who pull a colbmista and do nothing but complain.

The logic is, if you guys are helping me "proofread" this thing, you might see something I missed, and if you point it out not only can I fix the problem, but I can be on the lookout for other similar gaffes going forward. But I think you can understand how my patience for complaints might be minimal, hence why I instituted the "if you don't like it, you must suggest a better alternative" rule--it helps separate the colbmistas from the Dr-Timelords. :)
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    "We can always give it back when we are done." HAHAHA nice one.
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    @Dr-Timelord: I actually decided to go with exactly that piece for the majority of the scene, it works quite well! Great minds think alike. :)

Now I just gotta have something that picks up when Prentice starts giving orders, and carries through long enough for a quick montage sequence showing the crew working on the cloaking device.

By the way surprised no one's asked about this:
    In the previous scene, Reyf has Renee come with him to the bridge, for no apparent reason. Then at the end of this one, she's in exactly the right position--as evidenced by her reaction to the sight of the Vaxis--to see how dangerous their situation is, and when her captain needs convincing, she's right there to assure him she's up to the task. Coincidence? Or does Reyf know something in advance? And why did he ask for that adjustment to the plasma grid, anyway?

uhm, it just occurred to me, why did Reyf ask mitchell to go to the bridge with him? And why was she standing behind the admiral, shouldnt she be at the engineering console? Btw, was she in specter 10 years ago? and is she a brilliant engineer or just full of herself - and what was with those adjustments to the power grid; did reyf suspect they were in for this?

And, assuming the Vaxis was meant to be a warning; wouldnt it have made sense for the attacker to make sure that life-support was shut down, so those few survivors would have no chance of surviving? And why didnt Reyf tell Prentice he would personally take responsibility (and the fall) for scavenging the cloak?
    stfanboy wrote: »
    "We can always give it back when we are done." HAHAHA nice one.

lol, i gotta agree with that!
    @homer: good starting question :)

As for why she wasn't at her station, look at her stunned reaction. She's younger than most of the others, the sight of the Vaxis and knowing (after hearing Reyf say it) how many people were aboard the ship would've come as a huge shock. She was in Specter exactly twice--she was the one who was with then-Lieutenant Erickson in the infamous Ten Forward scene, and when Ronston calls Engineering during the chase scene, she's the one who answers "Aye, sir." She's a good engineer and not just full of herself, and there's an entire sequence immediately after Scene 8 showing exactly that. We'll have to wait to see that until the full version of Retribution though.

As for why Reyf had her make those adjustments...Mitchell is going to answer that one for us a little later :) That's why it's so important to establish her credibility beforehand.

If you want to know now:
    a few hours into their trip to New Romulus, the cloaked Fitzgerald gets "buzzed" by a task force of Romulan battlecruisers. Everyone on the bridge arrives at the same conclusion: that their proximity to the Fitzgerald's course can't be a coincidence, but fortunately the ships pass without detecting our heroes. A little while later, Mitchell realizes why Reyf had her make that adjustment: to conceal an emission that the Romulan cloaking device wasn't designed to conceal. Had he not asked her to do it, they would surely have been spotted by those ships. This arouses Prentice's suspicions--on the one hand, tuning the ship's systems to make it less conspicuous makes perfect sense, cloak or no cloak, but on the other, it's a coincidence that's too hard to ignore.

As for the survivors you mention...what survivors? It was explicitly stated that there were no survivors aboard the Vaxis.
This discussion has been closed.