Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann698 Posts: 1,343Member
    I have to say, I watched the first couple vids on Youtube of the project and I very quickly forgot that I was watching CGI, it felt like I was starting a new series of the show, I liked it more than I thought I would. Well done.

Chris
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    Thanks Neumann!!!

As promised, here's a clear shot of the anti-time machine that's fully rendered, with all effects the way they're supposed to be:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84241&stc=1&d=1281875458

By the way, we've only got seven scenes left in the movie. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get excited; the end is in sight!
    83712.JPG
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    Just a quick question, do you think once your done with the current run of scenes, that you'll close this chapter of your story? Or do you think that you may rejig it if you learn new modelling programs etc?

I think the amount of work you've done so far is outstanding and the quality of it is superb, as someone mentioned above, you forget your watching CGI!
    @gm: I think Spock would say, "There are always possibilities." :) I want to start learning 3DS Max and Maya when I'm finished with Specter, but recreating these Star Trek sets would be a hefty job, and I imagine when Specter is finally finished, I'll want to take some time to rest and just revel in the achievement. A remake would probably be a long ways off, to say the least :)

By the way, we're at a stopdown while I build a few more Voyager sets, and because of the particular sets involved, this may take a while. First up is the transporter room, then Engineering, and finally I need to finish the mess hall (I got some furniture way back when I was doing the "V'Ger Flyover" sequence that it's finally time to put to use! Plus I need to outfit the kitchen).

In the meantime, enjoy the music tests for Scene 42 that I posted earlier. There have been some complaints about my use of the Chris Brown song, so I thought I'd "show my work" and let you see some of the alternatives I considered. If there's another song in this bunch that you feel would work better, by all means please let me know!
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    i would say that i like the karaoke version of blue , or even maybe a mix of the radio edit and karaoke more than chris brown. i couldnt help but LOL at the enterprise theme with it, and i thought that the byrds would fit nicely too, keeping your rule of thirds...
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    Well I will certainly be watching out for the completed Spectre of the Past as well as your future projects. I've followed your Voyager sets since you started your latest Voyager Bridge thread and was amazed at the details! I think when you learn 3DS Max, it would be even more of a treat to see these pieces recreated! :D
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I had not had the opportunity to watch all of these videos until today. I have to say that this is amazing work! One does forget that one is watching CGI given how good the story is. Congratulations on this project! Makes me wish Star Trek was brought back to TV as a CGI show!

I look forward to the next chapter in the story. :thumb:
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    In the meantime, enjoy the music tests for Scene 42 that I posted earlier. There have been some complaints about my use of the Chris Brown song, so I thought I'd "show my work" and let you see some of the alternatives I considered. If there's another song in this bunch that you feel would work better, by all means please let me know!

Well...there is ONE that hasn't been added...and I still think it's perfect: the main theme song from Walt Disney's The Black Hole. The eerie yet dramatic music composed by John Barry would be perfect. (as a replacement for the other score from First Contact where Picard, Worf and Hawk sees what the Borg are doing to the Deflector Dish)
    @CEG: believe it or not I actually tried that, but it just doesn't work. You're absolutely right, that eerie and dramatic cue would work well, except for one problem: it's way too long for the occasion, and every edit I tried to make it fit made it sound really awkward. I also tried using the end credits theme from the same movie (which is much longer) to carry the entire scene, but it doesn't really work that way either (it's too repetitive and sets the wrong atmosphere for the scene). I absolutely love the score for that movie--in fact I'm waiting for the day they do a full release and we get the hitherto-unreleased "Heroics" music that starts right after Reinhardt orders Maximilian to "give them distance, then blow them out of the sky"--but it just doesn't work here.

I wanted to use an excerpt from "Durant is Dead" (the moment when the Cygnus fires thrusters) in an earlier scene, and somehow I'm hoping to find a way to work in part of "Start the Countdown" into Scene 46.

The Black Hole does get a bit of exposure though, if you listen carefully to the sound effects in Scene 42 you'll hear the ambient wind from that film, and also when the verteron particle container lowers into the console, that's the sound of the Cygnus' docking elevator going down.
    @CEG: believe it or not I actually tried that, but it just doesn't work. You're absolutely right, that eerie and dramatic cue would work well, except for one problem: it's way too long for the occasion, and every edit I tried to make it fit made it sound really awkward. I also tried using the end credits theme from the same movie (which is much longer) to carry the entire scene, but it doesn't really work that way either (it's too repetitive and sets the wrong atmosphere for the scene). I absolutely love the score for that movie--in fact I'm waiting for the day they do a full release and we get the hitherto-unreleased "Heroics" music that starts right after Reinhardt orders Maximilian to "give them distance, then blow them out of the sky"--but it just doesn't work here.

I wanted to use an excerpt from "Durant is Dead" (the moment when the Cygnus fires thrusters) in an earlier scene, and somehow I'm hoping to find a way to work in part of "Start the Countdown" into Scene 46.

The Black Hole does get a bit of exposure though, if you listen carefully to the sound effects in Scene 42 you'll hear the ambient wind from that film, and also when the verteron particle container lowers into the console, that's the sound of the Cygnus' docking elevator going down.

Maybe it can. I did a comparison of Scene 42, which has a time of 2 minutes and 37 seconds, and the Black Hole's End title with a time of 2 minutes and 31 seconds. I thought 'If I take out the V'ger Flyover and replaced it with The Black Hole end theme....BY GEORGE, IT COULD WORK!' What do you think of it? I know it sounds crazy..hell...I AM crazy, but you know I'm right.
    Maybe it can.[snip] What do you think of it? I know it sounds crazy..hell...I AM crazy, but you know I'm right.

Nope, it can't. As I said:
    I also tried using the end credits theme from the same movie (which is much longer) to carry the entire scene, but it doesn't really work that way either (it's too repetitive and sets the wrong atmosphere for the scene).
    ..oh well...it was a swell thought..
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    The Full Render of your Death Ray looks, awesome, i hope we get to see it in motion, full spec at some point
    @Dr-Timelord: oh no worries, we're supposed to be getting a patch for Bryce soon that will improve render speeds. Once we have that, I'll start the full renders of the anti-time machine. When the full scene is done I'll post a "fixed" version. I can't wait to see it myself :)
    Progress so far on the Voyager transporter room:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84250&stc=1&d=1281923427

Amazingly, the hardest part is done now that the transporter pad has been converted from TNG to VOY. Unlike the TNG transporter room, the Voyager set is pretty straightforward, so hopefully I can knock it out tomorrow. (I'm going to have a little fun with the shot blocking--the shot in the Voyager transporter room is going to be identical to the one in the Fitzgerald transporter room, it's just poking a small bit of fun at the fact that they're the same basic set, just redressed from one ship to the next)

The rest of Scene 44 takes place in the corridors, so I think what I'll do is knock out Scene 44, then focus on building Engineering and the mess hall.
    83720.JPG
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    hey did you need the complete blueprints to the transporter room i had them somewhere......

its on the third post #3
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    @Dr-Timelord: oh no worries, we're supposed to be getting a patch for Bryce soon that will improve render speeds. Once we have that, I'll start the full renders of the anti-time machine.

Hey does this mean you might be able to go back and re render everything, like you had in your opening shot, making everything more realistic with lighthing etc

or is that something to look into?
    @Dr-Timelord: the truth is that it all comes down to exactly how much faster on its feet the final release of Bryce 7 winds up being. If it's as significantly faster as I hope it is, then the course you refer to is definitely on the table. The original intent was to do the entire move like that, but once I saw how long each shot might take (the detailed sets plus the intricate lighting rigs required to make "live action" figures look realistic), that approach was pretty much rendered (no pun intended) impractical. Let us all hope that they improve speed to the point that such an option becomes practical again!
    Lets hope so too
    Quick update on the transporter room:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84260&stc=1&d=1282013223

Like I said, this isn't a particularly challenging set for the most part...that is, until you consider the question of those two wall textures. The walls themselves went up pretty quickly, but it took several hours for me to find a couple of textures I liked (those little triangles on the top parts never really made sense to me). Tomorrow comes the operator console, followed by the three light struts in the ceiling, then filling in some of the detail across from the doors.
    83730.JPG
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I can't wait for the next episode with the newly-recruited voice-actors for each of the Fitz's senior bridge characters. I can't help but (try not to) laugh at "Jack Calk." I'm sorry...but that's just too humorous.
    @Hellsgate: hate to disappoint, but no one's going to be doing any voice recording until after the movie is completely finished :)
    Will the voice actors been just v.o the scenes already rendered, or will they be tweeked around a bit.

Its annoying when you go back and look at something you thought was fine at first, but then you find something you're not happy with lol
    @Dr-Timelord: I don't follow your question, what are you asking?
    After you finish your movie.

Will you be re editing your scenes from the start, dialogue wise

as in cut or add a few lines here, making the script watertight
    Ah, I gotcha. I'm not sure yet--it all kind of depends on the actors and how they handle the dialogue. I anticipate that some scenes will likely have to be adjusted for the actors' dialogue, but I'm not exactly sure yet what to expect.
    ...and the transporter room is complete:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84285&stc=1&d=1282100188
    attachment.php?attachmentid=84286&stc=1&d=1282100188

See more in the upcoming Scene 44: "The Reunion."
    83754.JPG83755.JPG
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That looks awesome!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    tnpir, what is the scale of the transporter set? i.e, the diameter of the main platform, in how many feet?
  • Flibble42Flibble42331 Posts: 0Member
    I just caught up with your youtube posts.. may i suggest the karaoke version of Blue or Wherever You Will Go, I think the melodys work really well to set the mood, but the vocals make you think to much of where you first heard them. I am loving this project, i have all the parts from YouTube..