Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    Oh nah, none of that. As a matter of fact, Scene 46A (the very next one) is the closest we get to that. They talk to Thornton on the viewscreen briefly, she threatens, Garr apologizes, and she tells them to get to Earth on the double so she can talk with Garr face to face.

After "The Drumhead" and "The First Duty" and "Measure of a Man," I figure we've seen enough Federation legalities. Things will therefore get derailed before the Fitzgerald can even leave Sector 585.

Just trust me on this one, the game's not over just yet :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    Just trust me on this one, the game's not over just yet :)
    something goes "boom"? :p
    something goes "boom"? :p

Like the magnetic interlocks on a starship's warp core, my lips are sealed :) We'll all find out together when I get to Scene 49!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    For Your final scene after the whole Time Explosion

are you going for a simillar effect/ending to 'Yesterday's Enterprise' where as they all go ' Readnings indicate there was a ship, but then it vanished'

To be fair, if Voyager did go back in time, they would be unaware of the changes in the timeline or what has happened before
    @Dr-Timelord: Like the magnetic interlocks on a starship's warp core, my lips are sealed :) Just kidding...the one thing I always hated were those damned "reset button" episodes, like Year of Yell or Yesterday's Enterprise. I can promise, there will be NO reset button-ing here.
    Alright guys, Scene 46A, "Redemption," is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8SK8VBdU8

The background plates aren't fully rendered, but I wanted to get this up as quickly as I possibly could to keep peoples' attention. "Fixed" versions of both this and 45B are coming, the Voyager bridge plates are taking forever to render, hopefully within 36 hours I should have them all.
    ok, so when does everything go "boom"? :)
    wow, she was pissed.

Isn't the whole 'reset / time-line butterfly effect' what actually happens when you distort time.

In Yesterday's Enterprise I thought it was done really well, how the Enterprise C disappears into a rift and ends up thrown into the future. But the ship itself disrupts the time-line, Creating a new alternate future. Instead of the usual crap of ship being thrown into the past or future, we have a 'fixed event in time' that if disrupted chances everything in a butterfly event

Trek Time travel at its best.

As an interesting after point, i always thought it was mind blowing excellent writing, when they introduced Sela Yar, who explains that her mother was sent back in time aboard the Enterprise C from a very different time-line, so her very existence is an anomaly. Its an amazing scene to watch Picard be aghast at how this very person should exist.

I guess they kinda did it with the new Trek Movie too, because Nero attacked the kelvin, which in turn Starfleet developed its technology differently, so different ships etc etc i suppose that is a good example of the butterfly time effect.

But Yes! I know what you mean about the reset thing as well, Year of Hell was terrible and is a big example of how not to do it
    I just remembered something. In several scenes, you can just notice in the background a man with glasses that looks suspiciously like Braiyon Garr....How does he do that?
    @homerpalooza: the answer is in the DS9 "Millennium" trilogy. I dare get no more specific because the answer is coming in the very last scene of the movie.

(Actually, we already got our answer in the Stellar Cartography scene come to think of it, it just wasn't couched as foreshadowing)
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    @homerpalooza: the answer is in the DS9 "Millennium" trilogy. I dare get no more specific because the answer is coming in the very last scene of the movie.

(Actually, we already got our answer in the Stellar Cartography scene come to think of it, it just wasn't couched as foreshadowing)
    so....he already succeeded, and has figured out a means to project himself or a sophisticated hologram through short distances of time using this verteron/anti time thingie, and we dont realize that hes succeeded until the last scene, where he escapes from the fitzy, goes back to ISS voyager, and goes back to the black hole and the time thingie? or is it a little more subtle?
    @homer: read this only if you REALLY want to know...and I mean REALLY...this one explains everything:
    Dunno how subtle it is, you'll have to decide that when you see it. As far as Garr's concerned, it's all over...until the Kristie android visits him, and convinces him his original plan was the right thing to do but for the wrong reason. He asks her, "How thorough was Gaius' examination?" A few minutes later, the ISS Voyager suddenly takes off, the Fitzgerald in hot pursuit. Moments later, the sensors begin to detect a temporal containment field beginning to form around Garr's ship, and when Prentice tells him the Kristie android is missing as well as Garr, Reyf realizes what's about to happen. They try several times to disrupt the containment field, but they can't get past Garr's Borg-inspired shields. Ronston recommends that they deploy the solution he came up with before (deliver a massive energy burst like the 1701-D did in TBOBW to disrupt the shields themselves), in the form of a magneton warhead. It works, but Ronston miscalculated the effects and the energy burst is so intense it actually warps subspace, destabilizing Garr's containment field at the last second. There's a massive blast wave that hits the Fitzgerald, overloading all sensors, and by the time Data can get them online again, there's no trace of the ISS Voyager.

Data later tells Reyf that he did definitely detect an anti-time reaction, but that with the readings coming from the containment field he's certain the temporal distortions ripped the ship apart, scattering the debris across time (hence why there's nothing in the here and now), and that there's no way Garr could've survived.

Later, after the "wrap up" sequence, we find Reyf in his ready room talking to Chellik, when Prentice comes in. He reports no progress in figuring out who Kristie really was, and Reyf comments that they may never know, but that whoever she was, second chance or not, she definitely made a difference to Braiyon Garr. They're about to leave when Prentice draws attention to the picture on the wall, commenting that something's wrong with it. Reyf looks, and agrees, stepping over to straighten it (seems it had gotten knocked askew by the blast wave). They leave, and the camera pans over to give us a view of the photo: the photo of he and Garr wearing the "correct" Academy uniforms. That's when the camera pulls back and we realize that the colors of the ready room are different.

We go onto the bridge, and find different colors there too. Reyf welcomes Garrett back to his post, and then he and Prentice chat for a second about being eager to get back to their mission of exploration. Prentice agrees, and orders Parks to set a new course, which he does. Reyf is just about to give the order to engage, when a figure walks behind him on the upper level of the bridge and walks into the turbolift. Reyf seems to sense it and turns to look at the turbolift door, but it closes just in time to keep him from seeing who was there. He looks around but no one else has reacted, so he shrugs, and gives the order.

We then cut to an interior shot of the turbolift, and the camera tilts up from the left hand, which is holding a pair of gold-rimmed glasses, towards the face. The figure puts them on, and then does a quarter-turn so we can see who it is: Braiyon Garr. He smiles softly, says "full circle," and then the turbolift doors open and he exits. The camera remains in the turbolift as the doors close.

The End :)
    so.... if he was indeed sucessful in going back in time, does he a future biff and warn him about the future
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    tnpir4002 any updates, Please?
    Scene 46B is in progress, hopefully coming within the next 24 hours.
    Scene 46B: "Reflection" is now up for viewing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnd8vdyHyYE

This is another emotional scene, this time between Reyf and Kendra, and one of my favorites so far. Enjoy!
    Awesome!!
    Scene 47, "Specter of the Past," is coming soon. This one's a short one, but it's going to be a game-changer. Stay tuned...

(And yes, in case anyone's wondering, a pivotal moment taking place in Scene #47--Star Trek's longest-running gag--was deliberate :) )
    By the way, guys, I've reached a decision regarding Scene 38 (for those who don't know which one I'm getting at, it's this one, with my favorite part beginning here). The fan outcry over this one was substantial, and so I've decided that when principal production of Specter is completed, I'm going to make the original Scene 38 and post it for viewing for all to see. At that point, it'll be up to you guys to decide which one becomes the official Scene 38, and which one becomes an alternate concept.
    im not seeing any controversy, care to post the debate? :p
    There were, near as I can figure, two issues that the fans had with Scene 38: it seemed wildly out of place given the sci-fi genre we're in, and it also seemed inappropriately cheery for an otherwise very dark story (so much so that one user commented they couldn't take the story seriously at that point, and that this scene struck them as being a compilation of beauty shots from a "set left over from another project"). Maybe it was just a vocal few that I'm misremembering as a firestorm--as you know, time can alter one's perception of the past :)

My counterargument is that given what we'd already found out about Garr's eccentricities by that point, we needed a WHAM to match it, something that not just anyone could decipher. The original concept, on the other hand, called for the holosimulation to be of the ST2 bridge, which we'd learn was a training ship and the first one that Reyf and Garr trained on after they entered the Academy. My thought process was, anyone who saw the ST2 bridge would immediately get what it was supposed to mean, even before Reyf explains it, but as is, it's so confusing and unexpected that we're having to rely on Reyf's interpretation of what he sees to make sense of it.
    keep the ST2 bridge for the Directors Cut, in the meantime stick with the Price is Right thingie. You dont want the audience to predict plot twists, but you want them to follow.
    Headsup folks, Scene 47 is just about ready for me to upload. All I'm going to say about this scene is, if your heart doesn't melt when you see this, check your pulse. Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, most definitely!
    Scene 47: "Specter of the Past" is now up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygg91By8whw
    Yeah okay everyone is friends now, but it would be INSANE that they wouldnt have him in the brig

Plus makes his escape all the more dramatic
    @Dr-Timelord: good point, but the scene wouldn't have worked so well in the brig :) For one thing, he couldn't see the ISS Voyager from there!

Just checking in about Scene 48, originally this scene timed at about two and a half minutes but I'm going to trim it down and get rid of some excess dialogue near the end. Aside from the fact that it's not really plot-critical, I'm very anxious to get to the next scene (when you see how this one ends you'll understand why) and so less dialogue means quicker turnaround. Stay tuned!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fHYXo5uEY

Scene 48 is up! If the end of the scene seems kind of sudden, there's almost a full minute of dialogue missing between the EMH's last line and Reyf's "But that means...", I don't miss it but I can tell something got cut right there.

Coming soon: Scene 49, "The Starship Chase."
    oooh suspence lol good short scene
    @Dr-Timelord: I told you, patience is a virtue :)

Actually, that's the topic of this update. I just finished the voice recording, music and sound arrangement for Scene 49. This scene is going to clock in at a whopping 7 minutes in length! Every minute of it is action-packed, but it's going to take me a while to make this one. So I beg your indulgence during that process :)

By the way, did you know that after this scene is done, there will be exactly four scenes left in the movie? (five, if you count the end credits?)
    Scene 50: "Death and Life"
    Scene 51: "Loose Ends"
    Scene 52: "History"
    Scene 53: "Epilogue"
    Scene 54: End Credits
    And then the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG production is over, and then you can move into Post-Pro

which hopefully wont take up another 2years of your life :D