Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

1525354555658»

• tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    The mistake I made with Specter was letting myself get talked into pursuing a voice cast before I was ready. People committed but were then told to wait, in some cases for months, before I was ready to move forward. By the time I was ready to actually proceed, some people had simply dropped out. It's frustrating, and from my perspective, I've gotten as far with Specter as I ever planned to--anything else is just a bonus.

If I wasn't so eager to get started on Retribution, I might be willing to invest a little more time and effort into Specter, but as it is, making Specter taught me a lot and I'm very eager to put that to use with Retribution.

I may still at some future time go back and add in the VO's that I already have. We will see.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    I can see how you would be frustrated by all of this etc. Ppl ready to do voice overs and you're not, and then vice versa

But at least this time around, you're going to enjoy the experience, So finishing the entire Retribution story before you start animating? :P

But the only think i would suggest when it comes time to recording for your next project. If you are going to just use your own voice again Experiment ALOT with audacity and their pitch and tones to give everyone a unique ish voice
  • jbsjbs0 Posts: 0Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    Yes!

The remastering process on Specter is officially complete, as of 16 hours ago. That's the good news; the bad news is that I've decided not to press forward with voiceovers, and so Star Trek Specter: The Ultimate Edition will be the Very Definitely Final release. I've made some changes to earlier segments, so I've pulled everything down off Vimeo and I'm going to re-upload everything. The first segment is uploading right now, the remainder to follow over the next three weeks.

Probably now is too late. But I would suggest some kind of "Voice morph software". With this you can transform your voice in female, younger, older, monster or computer voice. I buy "AV VOICE CHANGER SOFTWARE DIAMOND" ( http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-over.htm ) to use in a 3D project I'm working. I still don't have the opportunity to try it, but in my google search all point to them, there is many others options too.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    The mistake I made with Specter was letting myself get talked into pursuing a voice cast before I was ready. People committed but were then told to wait, in some cases for months, before I was ready to move forward. By the time I was ready to actually proceed, some people had simply dropped out. It's frustrating, and from my perspective, I've gotten as far with Specter as I ever planned to--anything else is just a bonus.

If I wasn't so eager to get started on Retribution, I might be willing to invest a little more time and effort into Specter, but as it is, making Specter taught me a lot and I'm very eager to put that to use with Retribution.

I may still at some future time go back and add in the VO's that I already have. We will see.
    I understand you, mate. But it think in order for it to be really polished as a story, it needs various voices. Its great, its 90% done IMO, but that last 10% can mean the difference in your career. But i'm definitely excited to see what else you're gonna come up with.
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    While i think everyone here respects it as your decision tnpir, - because at the end of the day, its you who has to do the work - i really hope you listen to the consensus and general reasons behind why these folks above me are trying to encourage you to do the voiceovers.

From my viewpoint, when i watch your movie, i think its great to the time and effort and SKILL you've used to put it together.

But every time i watch it i still have the neon light at the back of my mind that occurs when i see any unfinished piece of work, and that neon light is flashing "WIP". Because thats what you've billed it as until now.

But if you finish it up without proper voiceovers, that neon light will *forever* flash in peoples minds when they see your movie, and i hope thats not how you wish them to see it for the rest of its life, because as homerpalooza says - when you use it later on to showcase your talent, it will make a BIG difference in professionality to the work if it has female voices acting the female parts, and every character is instantly discernable by him having his own distinct voice.

Im a sound engineer by trade, and i promise you, if you put retribution on hold or use the time to create a proper cast for spectre, not only will you be able to polish retribution's script more - but you'll 10 years down the line be glad and proud of how professional you made Spectre by going that 10% extra.

Again, im not trying and i dont believe anyone here is trying to force you to do it, but we are pleading, because some of us know that that last hurdle, that last jump in effort can be the difference between a good effort and something that stands out.
    Guys-

Movement on Retribution. Might want to keep an eye on The Wiki for the latest.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Sign me up! :P
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Dr. Braiyon Elias Garr (voiced by Brandon Bridges). Former operative of Starfleet Intelligence, now bent on revenge against Admiral Gaius Reyf and the crew of the Fitzgerald for their roles in his defeat during the events of Specter. By the time of Retribution, Garr has lost any grip on sanity he once had, and Reyf describes him as "more dangerous than ever."

Hang on... He didnt fail though, he changed his past and now there are two version of him running around in the universe, the Much older timetravelling one, and the now alternate Universe one

I thought an interesting sub plot was going to be Old Garr against alternate reality Garr and how different the two were from each other :P
    @Dr-Timelord: "...With the deadline rapidly approaching, Captain Bradley Prentice finds himself caught between an unstoppable Romulan foe, and a superior officer he's sure is hiding something, a dark secret that could save the Federation--or seal its doom."

And also: "there are still going to be plenty of plot twists and personal intrigue, plus interplay between our three main heroes."

Patience you must have :)
    Will you be working solo on the story again, or will you have some help this time..

:D
    What do you mean?
    I mean will you be writing the story by yourself or working with other people on it
    Right now it's just me, and I didn't have plans to work with anyone else, but I'm very willing to do so if anyone wants to.
    Am sure there are plenty of people who would help collaborate on story details

" No no.. not that planet THIS planet" and so fourth lol
    First preview clip is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FOxCwT_gxI
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I can help, if you need it.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    I too will offer help, if you want it

So here are my thoughts

Its a great opening teaser, you should definitely run the credits after this opening shot, its perfect length and plot that fills the opening pre title sequence

Did you render that opening shot with the star base and shuttle? Wow you've really stepped up on realism for that shot looks great

Kendra has four pips :P lol but I can understand you just wanting to get started on the story

In relation to the Romulan claim
    You've done a good job of filling in the gap between what happened after Nemesis and the future events of ST XI

It would seem that your 'Draxus' * did I spell that right * would have been
    - keeping a close eye on events and communications between the federation and Romulan Government leading upto the Supernova
    - Knowledge of the Jellyfish and Ambassador Spock's mission to Romulus, which would explain how and where he would be in the perfect place to get evidence

Plot Throwaway Idea
    As maybe a throwaway Idea, You could have that Nero's mining ship was originally going to be used against the Federation, Its a heavily fortified Borg enhanced ship, But by accident it got sucked into the black hole and presumed destroyed, which is obviously a setback for the bad guy
    But so far, good opening, Animation seems smoother and backgrounds look better too, Cant wait to see some more, But have fun with it , but dont rush :P lol
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    The romulans claim to have evidence to back up their claim? That's a bit sloppy using the same word twice in the sentence, try "allegations" instead :)

BTW, you should consider looking into the Expanded universe (which most fans are taking for Canon these days), the two factions are lead by women, Empress Donatra and Praetor Tal'aura. Other figures of mention include Fleet Admiral Tomalok, Admiral Sela and Admiral Taris.

The two factions are called "The Imperial Romulan State" (Donatra) and "The Romulan Star Empire" (Tal'Aura). Tal'aura controls Romulus, Donatra controls pretty much everything else of value. Donatra is the Federation ally, Tal'aura joined her empire with the Breen, Tholians and Gorn to oppose the Federation-Klingon-IRS alliance.

Granted this all could have changed in the 6 years since Nemesis, but it's a good foundation to start on.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    @Dr-Timelord: Yep, I did that shot, and you can thank Raul at The STMC for the truly stunning Spacedock mesh. (Did anyone catch the gold Babylon 5 in the background in Thornton's office by the way? That one's Dean Scott's, and when rendered in its natural form with regular textures, it too is stunning!)
    i thought it was 10 years since nemesis?
    Brandon, great start. I'd like to take a look at the script, see if i could help tighten it up a bit.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    i thought it was 10 years since nemesis?
    Brandon, great start. I'd like to take a look at the script, see if i could help tighten it up a bit.

All the dates are on MA, Shinzon did his thing in 2379/2380, Romulus exploded in 2386 and Nero did his thing in 2387
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Retribution is set in 2388.
    Alright folks, the second uninterrupted hour of Specter is now up on Vimeo, go check it out if you want at: http://vimeo.com/18817542

Also, the second preview clip for Retribution is up--but I've decided to split the discussion for that project off into its own thread, which you can find here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?77072-Star-Trek-Retribution
    Good bye Spectre thread, we shall miss you

See you all over in the new thread :P
    Good bye Spectre thread, we shall miss you

See you all over in the new thread :P
    This thread aint dead yet! :D
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    True. There's still a ton of TVTropes stuff that hasn't been yet been discussed to death and back again. ;)
    Oh alright I'll post in here too :P
    For those keeping track, the third piece of Specter is up on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/19081012

There's about five minutes left to go up, I'll see if I can fit that into what space I have left this week. If not, look for it next week!
  • RyconRycon0 Posts: 0Member
    i really like this
    Last piece is up: http://vimeo.com/19325485

Not much to see here but here it is nonetheless :)