Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    I knew about the Walk Designer and I used it exactly twice: once when Dr. Falwell and Reyf emerge from the holodeck near the beginning of the movie, and again during Garr's nightmare when he walks into the mess hall. I even created a few templates, but it's an inelegant solution because it was designed for characters other than the ones I was using for Specter, and so the animations always came out wrong. The amount of time required to fine-tune and fix the animations for use would've slowed production to a crawl, and even as it is this monster still took four years to produce.

I haven't gotten that far with Retribution yet--I'm still working on a complete story and script, haven't even thought about which characters will play the cast this time around--but we'll see.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 782Member
    Interesting, i was watching the tuts on youtube and it didnt seem that difficult to map the walk designer to custom models, but i'll take your word for it since i haven't used poser since 1.1 (about 10 years nearly). Though since it's advanced significantly and supports maya exporting, I may look into it again for character rigging work.

If you need help editing or proof reading your sequel script, just drop me a line, I have nothing better to do at work these days :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Alright folks, remastering on the second hour of Specter is basically done, I have exactly three more shots to work on and then it'll be ready for you to view.

After that...work will begin on my little surprise :) Stay tuned!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    ** watches the wall clock until it is time **
    Alright, I goofed.

I was "proofreading" the second hour and I caught some things that needed fixing that I'd missed the first time around (one of them a pretty egregious oversight), but all of that's done now, I'm just waiting on a few renders to finish before I can export a new draft of the second hour. Look for something within the next 24 hours!
    I said look for something in 24 hours...unfortunately the only thing I can offer is an apology that the next update will take slightly longer :-p I found a few more issues and it's going to take a little longer for me to fix. I'm still shooting to have something up tomorrow, it just may be later on in the day.

Stay tuned!
    What was the major thing you missed that needed fixed?
    It was actually two things, in a few places the backgrounds were completely messed up (in some cases the transparency settings had glitched, and so the half-rendered images that were originally rendered with the actual character animations showed through, in others the really old versions of the backgrounds were still being referenced when there were all-new ones available; in still others I'd missed places where the background plates were current, but the aft glass panels were all showing reflections of Beta Reticuli IV, even in scenes following the destruction of the system), and in one scene not only was a character's rank pips completely missing, but they also had two combadges. I've got all that fixed now, and the video is being exported. That'll take about twelve hours, after which I'll be able to convert to MP4, split, and upload.

(By the way, there's going to be a gap between where Part 1 left off and where Part 2 picks up, this is because in the "Distinguished Guests" scene, a bit of dialogue got trimmed--Reyf's original line, "Something's changed him, from the young man he once was, into a cruel and ruthless criminal mastermind", has been shortened to just, "Something's changed him...into a cruel and ruthless criminal mastermind".)
    Well there was bound to be trims somewhere :P
    Alright, Vimeo has the second hour and it's being converted now. I'll post the URL when it's finished. Those playing "spot the difference" are going to have a field day with this segment...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    brandon, arent you just sick of this now? or have you finally gone insane? :p
    @homer: there are those who would argue that as soon as I conceived Scene 38 and didn't start laughing at myself for the sheer absurdity of it, I was already wholly insane :)
    Alright kids, it's up! Enjoy: http://vimeo.com/17492929
    Is it my imagination or is Data's head shinier then it used to be?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent! Loved the R2 cameo in the Hangar :D

You've really done yourself and fan made Trek projects proud :D
    the flow and pacing of the story definitely works better when watching it in hourly episodes instead of ten minute videos

Was that scene with Garth on the station new?
    Who's Garth? :-p

I assume by that you mean the "Cosmic Castaway" sequence involving DS12? Nope, that's always been there. It works a lot better now though because all the shots got facelifts (including the interior of the VOY bridge, which got graphical and lighting upgrades from the previous version).
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    @homer: there are those who would argue that as soon as I conceived Scene 38 and didn't start laughing at myself for the sheer absurdity of it, I was already wholly insane :)
    which was 38 again?
    @homer: the holodeck scene where Reyf finally cracks the case.
    Once you finish the ' ultimate version' will this be the one that you will be putting you voice cast too?

How is that coming along by the way, do you have many of the voices n stuff collected?
    @Dr-Timelord: yes, it will...if I can ever get a full suite of voiceovers. Right now I've got complete VO sets for exactly three main characters: Thornton, Prentice, and Kristie, with a partial set recorded for Erickson. That still leaves a constellation of others that are MIA.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    If only I had some digital recording equipment, I'd ~love~ to jump in & substitute for the MIA voice-actors.
    I've got a fancy high-grade headset that has a good speaker, i can always record voices if you need em. Wasn't i going to audition for the XO a while back?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Why so many MIA's? are most of them a bit busy to record stuff

hell give me a monologue to read and i'll plug my Rock band usb mic into my computer and record something

how many character voices are MIA at the moment?
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Rockband mic in pc? Didn't know you could do that....In that case, I can help.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    yeah we've done it a bunch of times, we figured since it was a USB Mic it would work

and we have recorded plenty of stuff in Audacity and its good sound quality, no hissing
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    yeah we've done it a bunch of times, we figured since it was a USB Mic it would work

and we have recorded plenty of stuff in Audacity and its good sound quality, no hissing

That's good because the mic on my laptop is terrible.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    How goes it tnpir?
    I figured since there was so little remastering work left to be done on Specter I might as well go ahead and get it finished up. I'm on Scene 45B right now (it's the scene on the Voyager bridge where Reyf talks Garr down). The Voyager bridge has evolved a lot since that scene was originally made so I'm rendering all-new background plates and that's taking time. Once that's finished, the work is basically finished, there's a few other tiny details that need mopping up, but after that I'm completely free to focus on my little surprise.

Speaking of which, I've already done a few test renders for the start of my little surprise, and so far so good. I'm starting off with a very old piece of Dennis McCarthy score, but it works beautifully for what I've got planned.

Stay tuned :)
    Cool, will the surprise be after Spectre is finished? cant wait :P

And I will be seeing Tron Legacy tonight, AWESOME :D