Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    Well, alright, if you guys think it would be a good idea. Alright, consider the lines open for anyone who's got an idea for what their vision of an anti-time machine would look like!
    By the way guys, Scene 43A, "Heroes" is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpSdYXImvQ

Scene 43B, "Demons," coming soon!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    and the plot thickens.....
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Its like a episode that keeps continuing over and over and over and over and over. I can't get enough of it. More please. :thumb:
    A preview for the next continuation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NICq7IMnYV0
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Just as I get to ~THE~ point I've been waiting for....ARRRRRRGGGGH!!!! (laughing my ass off)
    I'm about to put Scene 43 up in its entirety, after which we'll have another stopdown while I build the Voyager transporter room. Meantime, this is the last weekend for voice auditions, so if anyone's interested in joining the cast, the deadline is tomorrow at midnight EST!
    Scene 43: "Heroes and Demons" is now available for viewing in full!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-mqMmwF54

A note about this scene, this is another "keystone" scene that goes all the way back to the very first draft of the script, and it's made better by the inclusion of Pete Black's piano rendition of the Voyager theme while Reyf tells Prentice the rest of the story.

View and comment!

Coming up next: Scene 44, "Welcome Aboard."

EDIT: actually, change of plans. Having no Scene 42 to speak of is grating on me, mostly because I can't create any full cuts of the movie without it, so I'm going to have to stop and finish the time machine prop first, then finish the scene, then move forward with Scene 44.
    Also at this point I'm going to refer everyone back to Scene 34, "The Visitation," in which Garr dropped some hints about a decision that Reyf supposedly regretted.

Only read this one if you REALLY want to know.
    Every story involving a hero and a villain forces the hero to choose between the things he values, his morals and ethics, versus some temptation offered by the villain that would go against those principles. The reason Garr tricked Reyf into thinking he was a "ghost" earlier was to get him to confess to something that Garr could later use--in the context of his plan--to tempt Reyf into coming with him, thus gaining Reyf redemption in Garr's eyes. That temptation is the decision Reyf made to pursue a career aboard starships instead of going to Starfleet Intelligence, which Reyf regrets because he felt as if he were indeed being ungrateful for everything Garr had done for him, and because it means when whatever happened that cause Garr to snap, Reyf wasn't there to intercede as Garr had once done.

And only read this one if you really REALLY want to know:
    Remember how Garr kept saying that Reyf must've felt guilty about the decision he made? In the end, Garr does actually wind up getting thrown back in time, and as we'll see, it turns out that HE was the one who'd been feeling guilty all this time, about passing up a life aboard starships, a life of which he's gotten a taste thanks to the ISS Voyager. In the end, he only changes one thing in the past, to generate an entirely new and better future: he puts the "altered" photo we saw in his office in Scene 36 into the pocket of his past self, who discovers it, sees his future self, and realizes what it means. He turns, and runs after Reyf, to join him aboard the Antilles.
    Update on the time machine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84091&stc=1&d=1281312661

I've got the support strut figured out, and I've got a blueprint in mind for the base now. That just leaves the reactor half (which I still have no idea how to connect to the "barrel" of the machine).
    83575.JPG
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Read your spoilers.

Kinda went all JJ Style Time travel there
    @Dr-T: yes, but I actually do it right :)
    Reyf called it earlier, we're already living in an alternate timeline and we just didn't know it (sort of--in the last scene some colors will be different in Reyf's ready room and on the bridge); look again at the movie and pay attention to how many times you see someone who looks just like Braiyon Garr around the Fitzgerald, seemingly going about normal business instead of hatching evil, supervillain plans.
    I think i see now
    Ahh so the major big plot twist finale for your story is this has been an alternate reality the whole time, Yeah i can see how that works :D
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    An idea for the reactor, why not have it hanging directly from the bottom in between the support struts that you've yet to put in, then you could either have it transfer the power through the stand in the middle, or have a tube (conduit) attached to the back of the barrel itself?
    Another quick update showing the revised color scheme:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84114&stc=1&d=1281353463

@gm: actually I decided to forego the "support strut" venue, instead we have the servo that connects the barrel to the base as you see in this image. That nixes that idea, unfortunately :(

I'm envisioning the reactor as a console set between two fuel tanks (with the console featuring a cylinder of some kind for the verteron particles to get beamed into, before being lowered into the console itself), but the problem is I have no idea how to connect a bunch of round cylinders and make it look good.

I'd welcome any suggestions from the floor?
    83595.jpg
    I think what you have so far is great, very Trek-like. An idea I had for the console and cylinders - How about having the two fuel type cylinders sit parallel to the floor, one below and one above the console and have both pump the verteron particles directly into the console via one single conduit?

If your looking to have the fuel cylinders vertical with one on each side of the console, you could have them similar to scuba tanks and replace the top with an interlock for the middle horizontal cylinder that slides down into the console?

Just a couple of ideas :)
    @gm: I had always visualized vertical cylinders. I'm having a tough time visualizing what you're describing, any chance you could give a rough sketch so I can see it?
    My artistic abilities are dismal but this was (very) basically what I was thinking,

attachment.php?attachmentid=84121

It all really depends on the scale of the parts you have above...
    Alright guys, I've decided how I'm going to handle the "reactor" component of the time machine (turns out it's going to have a completely different design than expected). Now that I've got a basic design, construction should go fairly quickly.

But the bigger news is that Doug Drexler--yes, the Doug Drexler--has viewed the first portion of this film, and has offered some feedback about it that I thought was worth passing on:

"Hi Brandon!

I finally got a chance to take a look at your opus! Very impressive and a lot of work! I like it very much even if you don't like my NX-01 refit! ; )

I've only watched one yYoutube segment, so I don't have the big picture. My main comment would be to keep an eye on the pacing, as Star Trek has a rapid style. On the other hand, the beauty of rolling your own is that you can define the show any way you want!

Once again, an amazing amount of work! How do you do it all?

Doug"

I told him I'm eagerly awaiting his review once he has a chance to view the full cut (what there is of it at least). But this by itself makes me pretty happy!
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    But the bigger news is that Doug Drexler--yes, the Doug Drexler--has viewed the first portion of this film
    awesome! :p
    Can you give us an update on your voice cast and how your auditions are going?
    @Dr-Timelord: yes, I can!

I have tentative actresses lined up for the parts of the EMH and Ensign Kal, but other than that there's no real update to speak of. I've got a plethora (a plethora!) of auditioners that have submitted voice samples, but I haven't yet had a chance to sit down and go through them like I should. I was supposed to do that yesterday, but things got unexpectedly busy and I've not yet been able to do it. My every intent is to have that done by the end of the week, at which point another YouTube clip is going to go up announcing who I want to hear as what character. That still won't be final decisions, but it'll be a big step closer.

We're very close to the end of the movie now so my attention is increasingly going to turn to fleshing out the voice cast. I'll make some final decisions on the voice cast very soon, I promise!

Once more, only read this if you REALLY want to know (list of names of scenes left in the movie):
    All that we have left is:
    42. "The Black Hole / Forever" (in production right now)
    44. "Reunion"
    45. "Deck 1 / The Arctic Circle"
    46. "The Return / A Monster No More"
    47. "Specter of the Past"
    48. "He's Gone / The Starship Chase / Fire"
    49. "Aftermath / Humanity"
    50. "Epilogue / New Timeline"
    51. "End Credits"
    As a side note on the subject of voices, several of the SFM crowd had expressed an interest in voice cameos as background or comm voices. I'm setting a firm deadline on that for this Friday at midnight, if you want to do one shoot me a PM or an e-mail ([email protected]) with your preference.
    Alright guys, construction on the anti-time machine is complete. Thanks to everyone who submitted ideas, but unfortunately no one's got picked :) I wound up going in an entirely different direction than I expected, but the completed time prop looks terrific if I do say so myself. I can't wait for you guys to see it!

Stay tuned: the much-anticipated Scene 42 is coming soon.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    We can't wait either. :D
    Alright, folks, you've been patient, so I'm very pleased to announce that the long-awaited Scene 42: "The Devil's Heart / Forever" is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_r1m3HIWAk
    The Design you've come up with as well as the cannon itself is pretty cool, i expect it will look even better when you have time to add some more surface details , textures, background etc

I would of thought some dramatic, tension music, The V'ger Sting an music from TMP was working well with the scene, but never mind, you're the director lol
    @Dr-Timelord: unfortunately Bryce's render speed slowed to a crawl when the anti-time machine was finished, so I had to do what I did for Scene 38 again, and do rough animatics with the expectation of doing full renders later. Shadows being turned off is also why the thing looks so washed out by the light from the transfer conduits between the fuel cells and the reactor--when shadows and refractions are turned on, it'll look the way it's supposed to. I'll render up a still shot so you can at least see what it's supposed to look like.

As for music, remember, this scene was originally conceptualized to go with "Beamed to the Farm" from The Caretaker! But I figured in light of what we found out about Garr in Scene 41, the song here would tug on the heart strings a little more (the name of the scene is "The Devil's Heart," which is a double entendre to refer to both the black hole and to Garr's emotions). Pay careful attention to the lyrics.

By the way, guys, I announced the first round of audition callbacks today, see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Wd1kyqkvo
    whats it mounted to?
    I was in such a rush that I didn't stop to put in the walls around it, which I suppose I should've. It's actually sitting on the floor of the cargo bay (this is what Garr came into the cargo bay to look at all the way back in Scene 24).