Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    @batboy853: Just answer me this: do the 20th century montage sequences ruin the experience, or is it just that you don't like them?

(if it makes you feel any better, Scene 42 was originally meant to be accompanied by "Beamed to the Farm," from the Caretaker soundtrack)

:)

to be honest its because for me it does ruin the experience, the random music thrown in changes the pace with the mood and the timing of the scenes that you use it.

i mean the story and all that is perfect, ive read what you have posted online over the last year all over the place i pretty much know the ending and ive been following this thread since the beginning and its really good work so far... but to see something like this and then for the story to pretty much hit a wall in three spots because of the music is distracting from the cool moments, it ruins the overall enjoyment for me...

the scenes where you have chosen the rock music usually have the feeling of mysteriousness or in the case of the scene with ds12 have the potential to be dramatic and the music is happy go lucky, which you could argue happy go lucky is garr's mood in the scene, but then he is no longer a hurt sad man... the only thing that really fits with both the songs would be the lyrics, where the people of the station are being turned into cosmic castaways and that garr wants everyone to pretend that he is dead, and that he is fighting against conforming, and keeping his individuality and the lyrics you only have one night, well garr only has one night and one shot to get this right but i mean there are some many more songs that would enhance the film in those spots to convey the tone of the scenes in both the lyrics, melody, and tempo.... in fact after you posted both scenes i gave about 5 songs as examples and reasons why.

and i guess at this point i should stop giving my feedback, and ultimately stop posting, on this topic because its becoming more obvious that no one here cares about what i am saying, nor does anyone feel the same way...
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
  • markmasseymarkmassey513 StaffordshirePosts: 587Member
    On that last note, I’ll have to say I’d agree batboy.. Before anyone jumps down my throat I've been following this thread for a while and enjoy the updates.. So tnpir I’m on your side...

But I don’t think that he wants critiquing, I think that most of the points you raised in the post above are valid... as with previous posts where your (I think) constructive comments are taken quite offensively and your sort of shouted down.....

Now I know how much effort tnpir has put into this project.. he knows what he wants, so he isn’t really looking for anyone to Critique his work... Which you know fair play... I guess the problem is its in the wip area.. and people are used to putting there thoughts to the author of the thread, so when you see something that hits you in the face and you think wait a minute, your first instinct is to voice it.... like I said and mean no disrespect by saying, tnpir isn't looking or interested in hearing it..... As you can see with the music debate he’s got all his bases covered...

Again I don’t mean to sound argumentative.... and I’m trying not to treat on anyone’s toes here... This isn’t an assault on you or your project tnpir4002.. Like I said, I’ve been following the thread for, well ages... and look forward to updates..

But I can understand batboys dejection in his last post..
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    the description at the top of the forum is: "Post your works-in-progress (WIPS) and lets be open to suggestions." so if you post here you have to expect critiques, and likewise if you post critiques you have to expect to be ignored - after all it's down to the author what he does

I can't see that anyone's done anything wrong here, or if there's anything worth getting upset about

batboy - the best you can do is post your suggestions and hope they get listened to, if they don't then you shouldn't take it personally, I think the lighting and shading is letting this down more than any music could, but tnpir always ignores me now, I just have to accept that, at the end of the day you don't lose or gain anything from trying
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    @markmassey: don't put words in my mouth! It's not that I don't want critiques (I do!), there's a difference between constructive criticism and, well...simple criticism. And most of the time, what you apparently take as constructive criticism from batboy doesn't come across that way to me. If it seems I "shout him down" as you put it, then maybe the reason is I've inadvertantly received the author's comments differently than he originally intended. I welcome everyone's opinions, but in this case it came across as blindly complaining about a piece that's not even finished. I meant what I said, let's hold off critiques of the music selection (everything else is fair game) until the scene's done--we'll talk about it then.

(I guess eve since I saw what the guy on TrekMovie.com said about it I've gotten a little more sensitive, and that's not necessarily a good thing)

In the grand scheme of things, there are some things we'll agree on. There are some things we won't. Some things we can agree to disagree on. And there are simply occasions when I'd prefer we hold off discussing certain things until an installment is finished; this is one of those times.
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    I guess eve since I saw what the guy on TrekMovie.com said about it I've gotten a little more sensitive about it
    what was said about it?
    For what it's worth, folks, the ones among us that contribute the most to efforts like this one are the dissenters, not the yes-men (and if you don't believe that I believe that, when you see the "special thanks to the members of Scifi-Meshes.com" credit during the end credits, look to see which members get honorable mentions). That I can see there aren't any blind yes-men around here, and that's good. Let's just all take a breather while I finish Scene 42, and then when it's up in its entirety we'll have a full discussion about this.

Batboy853, I apologize if I've seemed to come across too harshly in my responses to you. Let's you and me take a breather, and then when 42 is finished, you and I can have an open discussion about the "20th century song montage" sequences in the film, and your specific responses to each one.
    you're trying to do your best to show you're ignoring me, all I can say is I can help you improve this animation, if you want to carry on this rather childish attempt to get one over on me then the only person you're letting down is yourself, I've already sent you a PM saying I'm not your enemy, I was extending my hand to you, if you choose to ignore that then you're just showing you're too stubborn to let go

it's up to you, I'm not going to try again
    Alright, this one's for homerpalooza67: I couldn't whittle it down to just five, so I picked 18 shots (plus the poster) that I think define what the movie is about the most. I leave it to finer minds than mine to pick the best of the bunch :) Here goes:

attachment.php?attachmentid=83726&stc=1&d=1280275112
    83237.JPG83238.JPG83239.JPG83240.JPG83241.JPG
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Can you give me a beauty shot of the Fitzzy? (but its gotta be insanely awesome)
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Can't wait to see the next installment to finally clear up where things went off the rails for Garr.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure about your new poster... looks like you've put a terminator in the background, also its a little dark and a bit flat to look like a movie poster, doesn't seem to have much going on in it

Might need to change it up a little?

*edit*

Some of these must be pretty good for inspiration

l_30226_0079945_6ef7d420.jpg
    S-0090_Star_Trek_VI_The_Undiscovered_Country_one_sheet_movie_poster_l.jpg
    Just checking in, Scene 42 is still stuck in development! I'm still trying to cobble Garr's time machine together (the scene is going to show the collection of verteron particles followed by the time machine coming to life), but a firm design still eludes me. I thought I was on to something a week ago but it proved a false start; I've basically given up trying to design something and then build it, now I'm just cobbling it together one piece at a time. The basic "generator attached to a canon" design is still intact, but the specifics aren't taking shape until I actually put them together. (Point being even I don't know what the final product is going to look like).

Just bear with me, this snail's pace is maddening to me (mostly because I can't seem to come up with a design I like) so I'm working as hard as I can. More to follow!
    Just thought I'd offer a first glimpse and see what you guys thought. This is what I have so far of the "nose" portion:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=83846&stc=1&d=1280605130
    And on the subject of glimpses, I thought you all might enjoy seeing the original proof of concept for this scene, from 2006 when the project was first started. You can see a much earlier version of the Voyager bridge set, plus some comparitively primitive visual effects for the black hole (in this draft FYI, the black hole had played a far larger role).

See it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7baxlf31RE4
    more, please!
    An update!

attachment.php?attachmentid=83866&stc=1&d=1280689487

The "canon" part is basically complete (still a few things left to add to it). Still to come are the pedestal and the temporal reactor. If anyone's got suggestions I'm listening!
    83365.JPG
    Thats kinda cool, reminds me of that big laser gun 'Mr Big' has in Moonwalker , but its still a cool looking cannon
    @Dr-Timelord: never saw that movie, so I'll have to take your word for it! Another update before I call it a night:

attachment.php?attachmentid=83880&stc=1&d=1280718138

What do you think?
    83379.JPG
    Definately cool. More episodes!
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool stuff. I always liked Star Trek but was never a trekky but you are making me want to revisit the next generation series. Keep up the inspiring work.
    Alright guys, I've reached a decision.

Because of the amount of time Scene 42 is going to require in terms of prop design, I've decided to "skip over it" for the time being. I'm going to press ahead with Scene 43, in which the Fitzgerald and the ISS Voyager finally meet, while continuing behind the scenes to develop the time machine prop. Scene 42 does add to the story in that it shows us Garr's time machine, but since it's all basically just engaging chevrons set to some cool music, I figure it's something we can live without for the time being.

I've got to make a few refinements to the script for Scene 43 (this is going to be another long one; 43A takes place on the Fitzgerald bridge, 43B in the corridors, and 43C in the transporter room), but for the most part, it's ready to start developing.
    Try not to stress out to much about ur time machine, am sure it will work out
    @Dr-Timelord: not stressing, promise :) I'll get it finished, it's just a matter of time! I'm just really eager to get to Scene 45, which is when Reyf and Garr actually meet face to face on the ISS Voyager, and building the prop is holding me up. It'd be easier if I had a predefined design to follow, but I'm basically making it up as I go along and there's no telling how much time it'll take. As long as I keep working on it while developing the other new scenes, it'll get done eventually :)
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Take advantage of your fans. Describe how the time machine will work in your scene and what criteria it has to meet (IE is it the size of a planet or a soda can etc) and ask the sci fi meshes community to submit some concept designs for you. Make it a contest and the winner gets honorable mention in your flick!
  • Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    That's actually a pretty good Idea. Not sure if you're willing to out-source modeling, but I'm sure someone around here with the skill would be more than willing to take up a few objects for you if you asked. (Unfortunately, I'm not one with the skill or the resources to do this kind of stuff, though I love to see other's work come together)