Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Specter of the Past

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    staff lounge of sorts? shuttlebay? Airlock? Ping-pong room? Klingon Calisthenics program? Corrider Grey Seven? Jeffreys section 12-B-3? Kitchen? Transporter Control? Battle Bridge? Battle- Ready Room? Soundstage adjacent to the set? Starbucks? Star Trek-Bucks?
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    This is getting exciting.

Great work tnpir!
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    Alright, I think I jumped the gun a little :) What started as a six-page script for Scene 39 (three pages for the briefing, then three pages one on one between two crewmembers) has been pared down to two pages of each. I did my first recording session last night (the new shooting set is also finished BTW), and I realized how much of what was there was just unnecessary exposition. It was all interesting stuff, but it didn't really add anything to the scene or the story, so literally an entire page was simply dropped.

Gonna try again to get a jumpstart on this scene later this afternoon.
    Don't know if anyone would be interested, but I finally made a page just for Specter over at TVTropes.org. You can find it here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarTrekSpecter (CAUTION: some parts of the plot we haven't seen yet and that I haven't told you about are spoiled there, so any spoiler you highlight over there could potentially ruin the suspense forever! You have been warned!!!)

Should make for an interesting read while I work on Scene 39 :)
    Alright guys, just checking in, I'm about halfway finished with Scene 39A (I'm breaking this into two halves, 39A is the "briefing" half while 39B is the "one on one chat" half). It's coming along very nicely, and is going to feature some very cool things. Stay tuned!

@homerpalooza: I'm not ignoring your request, I promise :) I'm still trying to decide what shots would best describe the movie. The poster for it is on the first page of this thread if you want to work that in. I'll have a set of four uploaded sometime tomorrow, they'll be here in this thread so we can get some feedback from everyone before the final decision is made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHEuzSmcy7Y

Alright, next piece is up!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Very Nice, quite liked the little digs at time travel and time travel plots devices " You Made that up " lol

I haven't been reading any of the spoilers, but i imagine that if there is going to involve a scene with time travel, that you'll remember Garr's ships is designed for extreme stress levels on the hull, where as the Fitzgerald is not .

But the story is coming together nicely, the scene was well paced, dialogue was good
    *** FORMAL CASTING CALL ***
    Video coming soon on YouTube with details.

Cast:
    Gaius Reyf: Dennis Gard Robb
    Dr. Braiyon Garr: Brandon Bridges

Captain Mantell:
    ND Ops:
    ND Helm:
    ND Tactical (Offscreen):
    Dr. Edward Chellik:
    Dr. Elizabeth Falwell:
    Commander Bradley Prentice:
    Lt. Cmdr. Maxwell Garrett:
    Lt. Kendra Erickson:
    Ensign Lesley Kal:
    Ensign Jennifer Hargrove:
    Lt. Howard Parks:
    Lt. Cmdr. Merv Ronston:
    Fitzgerald Comm Voice 1:
    Fitzgerald Replacement Ops Officer:
    Admiral Margaret Thornton:
    Fitzgerald EMH:
    Counselor Deanna Troi:
    Lt. Cmdr. Data:
    Phil the Bartender:
    Ensign Courtney Willey:
    Professor Voss:
    Kristie:
    Alright everyone, formal casting call video is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz7PbfLdD94

Operators are standing by!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Just thought I'd give you a little extra coverage by posting on a few of the audio drama group forums. What format do you want audio files in? 44100hz, 128-bit Stereo MP3?

>Ahem< Have you ever thought of an Australian bartender? I had an uncle called Phil :cool:

Kirok of L'Stok
    Director of Media, TrekUnited
    @Kirok: If possible, 48,000hz, 320-bit stereo :) If you want to take on Phil the Bartender be my guest!
    Cool, i want in.... Not sure if i'd be right for any of the parts, but no harm in trying right!

Uh..what do you want us to say in audio clips?
    @Dr-Timelord: What I've been urging people to do so far is to pick a character that they want to play, and record a few lines in character and see how it goes.

I thought you were going to be the comm voice that calls the senior officers to the bridge at the end of Scene 8? Or am I misremembering?
    I cant really remember either, i just wanted to be a part of something lol
    @Dr-Timelord: doesn't matter then, pick someone you want to take on and we'll see :)

By the way, for those of you who want visible roles but don't want anything large, remember there's always the bridge crew of the Daystrom in the prologue. Captain Mantell has the most dialogue, followed by Reyf, then the ops officer, then the ND helm, with one offscreen "Not yet, sir" from what we assume is an ND tactical. Plenty of opportunities for voice cameos!
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    I thought you were going to be the comm voice that calls the senior officers to the bridge at the end of Scene 8? Or am I misremembering?
    uhmm, that was me. I expect you to thoroughly edit this so it sounds nothing like me, lol! check your PM!
    @homer: sooo I forgot who was going to do what, I'm a doctor, not a memory bank :) Much obliged! I don't have Audacity though, any chance you could make the other two into WAVs?
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I'd want in, but I haven't got a handheld digital recorder or even a gamer's headset with mic yet. I'm on a Mac, so I don't even have Windows Media Player. (sulks)
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    @homer: sooo I forgot who was going to do what, I'm a doctor, not a memory bank :) Much obliged! I don't have Audacity though, any chance you could make the other two into WAVs?
    good grief! its a free program, lol. what sound-editing software do you use? ANd i cant, not now. maybe later ;)
  • I just watched this in the entirety (of what's available) and I LOVED IT!
    Reminds me of the way the BBC shot Doctor Who, the WHOLE cinematics thing, but done with ST:TNG and just a bit into the future.

I can't wait for more-- and I would love to do a voice for it. Can you drop to me a list of current people and the characters they're playing in a complete cast list? This would allow me to choose a character that does not currently have a voice. Or a script that you're using. That could be helpful, too.

Brandon! You've done an excellent job with this-- yes, some bits are a tad wonky or glitchy-- but that's the nature of the capture and the rendering software, but that's to be expected! You are a genius! Keep it up... This "movie" could become a HUGE internet series with "seasons"! I'd watch this!

Would you be interested in doing a series not set in Star Trek? I have an RPG I've written that could work-- I just need to work out the script... LOL
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Ditto. She's 250% definately going to be featured at my fan fic anthology once she's completed to the author's satisfaction, including any/all prequels, seasons and sequels. Any other comparable CG "Trek" series (set before/during ENT To Post-Nem/STO) will be asked to join as well, via youtube.
    @Capt. Kryllyn Kell: I'm suffering from what you might call "production fatigue" from the effort of Specter, at this time I'm not even willing to entertain the notion of doing anything else like this :) Once this project is completely done and I can have a few months off, maybe we'll talk. But that's the future :) In the present, I'm getting back on the road with Scene 39B. I got distracted for a few days keeping up with the e-mail traffic of volunteers wanting to take part in Specter (and there are QUITE a few!), but tonight I got back on the road.

I've rewritten it a few times, and I think Scene 39B is going to be one of the best scenes in the movie. It ends with a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming that should neatly tie together 90% of what we've seen so far. I'll spoil this much: the scene ends with Reyf repeating something he said at the very beginning of the movie.

Well...maybe I'll spoil a little more:
    Scene 39B: Android's Emotions
    Scene 40: Facial Recognition Search
    Scene 41: Her Silicon Soul / We're Here
    Scene 42: ISS Voyager / Verteron Energy
    Scene 43: Final Approach / Surrender
    Scene 44: A Storybook Villain
    Scene 45: ISS Voyager / The Reunion
    Alright campers, time to separate the viewers from the fans :) Later tonight I'm going to start uploading a new series of 10-minute blocks onto YouTube, which represent the most current cut of Specter. I have a challenge for anyone who considers themselves fans of this project:

When I presented a DVD of "the road so far" to a coworker and asked them to review it, only to tell them at a TRT of two hours five minutes it still had no ending, I got a shocked look, followed by (and I'm not making this up) his quoting the statistic that the only movie that was that long was The Motion(less) Picture. I pointed out that that movie was notoriously slow in pace and long on visual effects sequences and montages (which my movie doesn't have), but I've decided I don't want to take chances. So, with an eye towards getting the run time down, I want the fans to scrub the movie and see what you think it could live without. Consider the arrangement presented in the 10-minute blocks to be my "Director's Cut," with anything you see fodder for deletion. (The only exception to that rule is "V'Ger Flyover," the discovery of the ISS Voyager). I'm really and truly considering axing several scenes which are nothing but dry technobabble (the majority of Scene 30A immediately comes to mind, and strangely enough so does Scene 20A, "Conscience of the Captain" and Scene25A: "Clues").

I'm throwing open the floor, but a few ground rules:
    1. The Holodeck, V'Ger Flyover, and Deep Space 12 are off-limits. Also highly discouraged (but not off-limits) is ISS Voyager.
    2. Please do justify your choice when you make it.

And that's it! Look for those blocks to start appearing within the next two hours.
    So you want us the fans to suggest where to make cuts in the film, or do we get to suggest audio and visual and cgi as well?
    Define "audio and visual and CGI as well." Are you asking if I'm also looking for suggestions for replacement material...?
    the first thing i would suggest (and ive suggested it before) it could save about 10 minutes overall.
    Do NOT use exterior views of the ship for Scene Transitions!! Yes, an occiasional shot of the fitzgerald or ISS voyager when called for is great, but not Every Scene - you want this to be more of a movie.

secondly, add a Big Cliffhanger roughly in the middle - say when they blow up the star sytem - and make it into a 2-parter.
    @homer: sorry but modifying the scene transitions to exclude the exterior shots simply isn't practical in most cases, so that option is off the table. Restructuring the story into two halves doesn't appeal to me either (it's a lot harder to do than you'd think--for one thing the scene you reference is 90 minutes in, not anywhere close to the halfway mark). I'd rather drop a few minutes of unnecessary dialogue to trim overall runtime than have to start worrying about keeping two halves in balance.
    Now are you looking for full scene cuts, or just small snippets that could make the scene still work but shorten it a bit?
    hazend wrote: »
    Now are you looking for full scene cuts, or just small snippets that could make the scene still work but shorten it a bit?

Both!
    ok, I'll get back to you :D