Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: Old Republic Era Thread

• SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys.

Sorry about the lack of updates, I managed to catch a rather nasty cold and been sidelined the last couple days, hopefully I'll get better soon so I can get back to it.

Meantime, if you haven't seen the new Star Wars: Old Republic trailer, its pretty much a must see. Grievous needs to take notes, this is how you sack Coruscant:
    This is the Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer you're looking for

And before anyone asks, I'll be sticking to the KoToR series for the foreseeable future.
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Ooo that sucks having a cold. Get well soon so you can continue on that nice shiny ship of yours. (jk but seriously I hope you get well soon)
    Alright, I'm starting to feel better, so while I'm going to be taking it slow for a while longer, the flow of updates should recommence. Been working on the front of the command tower:

levi04side.jpg
    levi04front.jpg
    All Hail Fractalsponge the Second. Knell low and quake in terror at his l337 modeling skills!

amazing, simply amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Nice start on the detailing :thumb:

And yes the ToR trailer is AWESOME. I can't wait for the game to come out... hopefully sometime this decade :p
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Sweet, I love it.
    Much appreciated guys, although if I'm coming even close to the rather high bar set by Fractal, I have him to thank for it. I've glanced at his ISD model a couple times to see what he does, and to incorporate some of the ISD look into this design.

Anyway, more work on the front of the command tower. The plating isn't working for me as is, so I'm going to rework that before next update.
    levi05side.jpg
    levi05front.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great job on the tower I have to say you've gained a new fan here jejejejejejeje great work
    Nice work, keep it coming!
    Thanks guys, nice to have some fans.

Ugh, this cold just keeps lingering, and trying to maintain what most people would consider a normal sleep schedule to get it to go away is really cutting into my productivity.

Update on the side of the bridge:

levi06side.jpg
    oh that really sucks about the cold. Hope you get better. As for the ship, well she's looking good.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW that's coming along great:thumb: I hope you start to feel better soon mate:D
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    you're doing a terrific job on these ships I'm a big fan of this era and your models fit the profile perfectly great work hope to see more soon
    Thanks guys. I don't feel sick anymore really, I just have a nagging cough. The area on the side above the wings (not sure what else to call them...) still need more work btw, that area and the wings themselves will likely be the next update.
  • arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Keep up the good work:thumb:...

Rob
    Alright, got the "wings" done, which are actually something like an observation deck/fire control center. Which means all that's left for the command tower is the back. Underside of the thing is kind of basic, but you really have to go out of your way to see it, so... enjoy your one render of it, you probably won't see much of it again. Also redid my lighting to be better, helps when I do renders earlier than 2am so I have time to fiddle with it.

levi07fulltowerside.jpg
    levi07fulltowerfront.jpg
    levi07obsdeckside.jpg
    levi07obsdeckunderside.jpg
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    Wow!:o That's really coming along great, keep it up:thumb:
    These ships are all nice and I'm a big fan of KoTOR, I've played them through several times, and wow:D
    Anyway, nice work and can't wait to finish them.
    Sweet work.
  • VASIMRVASIMR0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice greeble work. You have captured the impracticality of star wars very well. It looks like it will be a pain to texture though. I can't wait to see more.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    i thought kotor 1 was ok. never played 2. What ship is this supposed to be, the republics heavy cruisers? (ie star destroyer)
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work on the detailing Syklon:thumb:
    Thanks guys.

Regarding textures on this baby, I haven't particularly been designing it with those in mind. My usual method of texturing would prove impractical with something this detailed, and I'd rather leave it untextured than texture it poorly, so whether it progresses much beyond procedural stuff remains to be seen. (If anyone has experience texturing a ship like this I'd love to hear any advice.)

And yes this is KoToR's equivalent of the Star Destroyer, but during the course of the game its the main ship of the Sith navy, not Republic.
    Bottom-most inward slanting bit will probably need some more detail, but the rest of the command tower is pretty much finished, which is nice to say.

levi08back.jpg
    levi08rear.jpg

Next up is the surrounding terracing, which may or may not include a gun emplacement or two...
  • Enterprise-EEnterprise-E0 Posts: 0Member
    This project is awesome, i mightily look forward how it evolves, and what the final model will be!
  • guddiguddi0 Posts: 0Member
    Me too. Thats great work!
    Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing what the final model will look like too, as I sort of tend to be making up a lot of it as I go, even if I pretend like I know what I'm doing :D

Just finished up my non-trench turbolaser turret. I probably went a bit more detailed than necessary for most renders, but a certain part of me kept saying turbolasers are worth a few extra polys, so, here you have it:

levi09turretfront.jpg
    levi09turretside.jpg
    levi09turretrear.jpg

These would probably be somewhere in the medium range for an ISD, but they'll be the biggest guns on this ship. Armament is probably where I'm going to stray most from the canon info. The official numbers don't seem to match up with what KoToR shows, and KoToR shows only the broadside trench turrets, which would still leave rather considerable blindspots, so that's where these turrets come in.

Now to turn this one into a full battery.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Hm, that's rather nice, isn't it? :)

I am a fan.

Just watch the poly count of the individual greebles, scaled over an entire ship they can get to be overwhelming really fast. I'd also say the panel depth could be toned down a bit, but in full hull shots it'll be fine as is.
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    This is gonna be very very cool:D
    Wow, thanks guys, especially fractal, that pretty much makes my day coming from you.

Some sound advice as well, I'm going to try to shave some polys off those turrets without compromising things too much.

edit: Just cut the poly count in half without changing anything noticeable visually, so now I feel better about it.
    Nice work on that cannon