Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: Old Republic Era Thread

1234568»

• gthompsngthompsn171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the way the trenches and superstructure are highly greebled, but the plates are smooth. Are you going to do the Ebon Hawk as well, or, any of the other KoTOR ships? I have read the whole thread and don't remember you mentioning it.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh good grief, has it really been this long since an update?

Have started back up on this again, currently doing trench work:
    levi25rear.jpg
    levi25front.jpg

For those wondering what I was doing in the meantime (besides finishing up my college degree), I was doing a couple projects, one for a friend that I can't show yet, and a game project for school:
    cogscreencomp.th.jpg

@gthompsn The very delayed reply is that I haven't decided yet. I don't think its likely that I'll do another project as big as this for a while though.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    It. Is. ALIVE!!!!

And, it is awesome!! :thumb:
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work glad you're back at it
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see this back! Looks great! Greebling around curves like that must be an interesting challenge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Syklon wrote: »
    Oh good grief, has it really been this long since an update?

Have started back up on this again, currently doing trench work:
    levi25rear.jpg
    levi25front.jpg

HOLY ****! Thats awsum!!!
    Thanks guys, glad to be back. And Ozy pretty much hit the nail on the head, all the curves make everything a lot more interesting. I use the bend modifier a lot.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you back on board with this Syklon.
    Thanks DCB.

Did a bit more trench work, fixed some issues with the hull, cut the hangar areas, tweaked some materials, and changed up how I was rendering things (with thanks to Howard Day for outlining his layered brightness/contrast effects technique in his latest thread).

In case you can't tell, I was starting to get a bit tired of trench work, so I figured I would take a break from that. I'm going to do the hangar areas next, so most of the stuff I did was in preparation for that.

See what you guys think:
    levi26side.jpg
    levi26rear.jpg
    levi26rearfull.jpg
    levi26front.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    that looks awesome

is this the one you walk along the hull in knights of the old republic?
    Thanks man, and yup that's the one, although I had forgotten about the spacewalk bit.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Those last set of images are outstanding Syk I can't wait to see more of this:D
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    "Hey, your back, someone said you were dead."
    Great work :thumb:
    *faints*
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Wow, that's amazing.
    Wonderful work here.
    Thanks guys, and nope, not dead yet.

Been working on the docking bay area, see what you guys think:
    levi27med.jpg
    levi27close.jpg
    levi27far.jpg

The close up image ended up with some weird artifacts on the back wall, need to figure out what caused them, but ignore them for now.

The honeycomb-like racks are cradles to hold folded up sith interceptors (12 on each side for 24 total), and the big blast door on the interior wall leads into further hangar space for things like shuttles and landing craft. I resisted the urge to put too much detail into the interior though since you can't really see in there much.

edit: After looking at these renders I've smoothed out the side arch pieces more as they were looking a bit segmented even in the far away shot, so no need to point that out. And for those keeping count that officially puts me over 1 million polys, although a lot of the trench detail isn't mirrored yet so it would actually be higher than that.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    This has turned into a real masterpiece.....................
  • builtgypsybuiltgypsy0 Posts: 0Member
    Heaven truly is a great big spaceship.

A beautiful relic of Old Republic times to hold us off until the Old Republic comes out. :lol:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    What do I think...hmm let me see...Wow! What an awesome amount of detail!
    So that's where the hanger is...
    Always thought it to be on the lower claw, so they could literally just drop'em off.
    Amazing work there.
    Thanks a lot guys.

So, I really did not intend to have this long between updates, but a mixture of real life and my own obsessiveness got the better of me. This is a rather large update. Significant portions of the hull have been reshaped, some places just subtly, but in other places in rather major ways. Lots of other details have been adjusted to account for this. This was all in preparation for beginning the hull plating, of which I have one section done:

levi28frontrearhalf.jpg
    levi28rearrearhalf.jpg

I actually started out doing it with normal maps, and you can still see it on the hull section towards the bow in one of the renders, but after failing to get truly satisfactory results, I decided the quickest and surest way to get what I wanted was to just go ahead and model it all, since I really have no constraining polygon budget.

Neil Blevin's tech floor tests thread was a major inspiration for this, so big thanks to him for getting my mental juices flowing, as before this I had been avoiding the hull plating, and I would say it makes a significant difference.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Love the plating, how long does it take to render a shot like these two?

One tiny nitpick: Your aft top panel seems to intersect with the center engine :)
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    the hull plating looks really good, very organic
    Melak wrote: »
    One tiny nitpick: Your aft top panel seems to intersect with the center engine :)
    Yeah, I noticed that, it will be fixed :) Render at this resolution with everything unhidden is somewhere around an hour, I generally start it up when I'm going to do something else.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work there Syk:thumb: Looking forward to seeing more
    Amazing work here, man, I love it. :)
  • soulburn3dsoulburn3d1 Posts: 0Member
    Syklon wrote: »
    Neil Blevin's tech floor tests thread was a major inspiration for this, so big thanks to him for getting my mental juices flowing, as before this I had been avoiding the hull plating, and I would say it makes a significant difference.

Thanks Syklon, glad you found those images to be inspirational. It's very cool to see some of those ideas get expanded on in your work, I think the panel lines are looking sweet. I especially like the slightly jagged edge you're getting where the plates and your greebled trench meet.

- Neil
  • nivaonivao0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry for bumping up this old thread but I want to ask if I can get some reference images of your model. I'm working on a version of the ship for an animation but due to the lack of reference images (or proper ones anyway) I have a hard time getting the shapes down and since you make the ship more detailed than the original model it would be very helpful for my version.

Thanks in advance.
  • peacockharrispeacockharris0 Posts: 0Member
    nivao wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up this old thread but I want to ask if I can get some reference images of your model. I'm working on a version of the ship for an animation but due to the lack of reference images (or proper ones anyway) I have a hard time getting the shapes down and since you make the ship more detailed than the original model it would be very helpful for my version.

Thanks in advance.

Again, sorry for the bump, but this is such a fantastic project it would be a shame if it's dead. I don't understand why the updates suddenly stopped.

I adore this ship and would love a model of it to use for a personal project. Help me, Syklon, you're my only hope! :)
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    really love it. I especially like the blue color and how it is reflecting. Quite impressive shape too