Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: Old Republic Era Thread

• SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Probably won't be freely released, but I'll probably be pretty open to sharing with people that ask, I just don't want her showing up in a bunch of crappy renders with no credit and the like.

Pyrocitor- solid crit about the tower plating, did it originally with the old lighting, but it seems a bit much with new lighting that shows things better, will have to fiddle with it some

Elffin- good to see you around mate.

Thanks to everyone else. If updates slow down a bit over the next week, its because I've traded my digital star destroyer for a physical one for a bit, finally starting my Venator model I've had sitting around in a box forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Fantastic work on the Leviathan and the Sith Fighter you had on the first page as well. Will you be working on any of the the other KOTOR Era items? I was hoping someone might attempt to tackle the Star Forge.

I too would not be surprised to see someone ask to use this in either a fan film or to film a BIK file for a KOTOR mod.
  • arashikamiarashikami0 Posts: 0Member
    Only if he distributes it.
    Syklon wrote: »
    Probably won't be freely released, but I'll probably be pretty open to sharing with people that ask, I just don't want her showing up in a bunch of crappy renders with no credit and the like.

Pyrocitor- solid crit about the tower plating, did it originally with the old lighting, but it seems a bit much with new lighting that shows things better, will have to fiddle with it some

Elffin- good to see you around mate.

Thanks to everyone else. If updates slow down a bit over the next week, its because I've traded my digital star destroyer for a physical one for a bit, finally starting my Venator model I've had sitting around in a box forever.

Very true. Considering the quality of Fan Films has gone up in recent years, I think the Interdictor would be used properly. It would be disrespectful to do a poor render to an excellent mesh considering the time and energy that has gone into making the model.

Rob
    Quick break from physical modeling to bring you a small update:
    levi13rear.jpg

Star Forge is a cool design, its too big to do to any high level of detail though, most I'd be likely to do with it would be a low to medium detail version that would work in the background for a scene.
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, good work:thumb:
    Syklon wrote: »
    Star Forge is a cool design, its too big to do to any high level of detail though, most I'd be likely to do with it would be a low to medium detail version that would work in the background for a scene.

Yeah, way too big... I also wanted to start modelling it but when I realized how big is it actually and how weak is my current pc for that I needed to forget the idea. But for a background object, it is acceptable, I believe so. I'll be waiting to see if you build it even with medium or low details.

I wanna see HUGE DESTRUCTION:devil::flippy:
    Greeble... Greeble... Greeble... Update:

levi14sidef.jpg
    levi14bridgesidev.jpg

Slightly larger image showing top view of the bridge (some fisheye distortion):
    levi14topq.th.jpg

The ship is an Interdictor cruiser, so figured I better add in some primitive gravity well projectors. They're much smaller and weaker than modern era stuff, but hyperdrives are also less advanced so they're effective enough against ships of the era.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work, I love the greebles.

But correct me if I'm wrong, but in starwars wasn't it around the time of the novel outbound flight that Interdictor gravity well projectors where discovered by none less then Admiral Thrawn when he came across an alien species near Chiss Space that he launched an attack on and ultimately got himself kicked out of the Chiss Military and into Palpatines hands.
    Thanks.

I'm not sure about the origination of the technology in the modern era, but the Leviathan is described as a Sith Interdictor Cruiser on both wookiepedia and the official databank, and its capable of pulling the Ebon Hawk out of hyperspace at one point in the game, so it definitely has the capability. So probably the technology either got lost, only worked on the primitive hyperdrives of the era, or was only easily replicable through the alien technology of the Star Forge.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that looks absolutely brilliant ! :thumb: I never thought I will see a fresh take on a star destroyer anytime soon :D Keep it up !
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice, I like those details.
    Thanks guys.

This is kind of a pseudo-update. I finally took the plunge and switched to vray. I've spent the last couple days adjusting various things and currently get this render. I'd be very interested if anyone with vray experience has any advice to make it better, as it still seems like some of the detail is getting lost.

levi14vray2.jpg

edit: Currently I'm using the universal settings recommended here: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/tutorials_unisettings.htm#part1 Lighting is a couple directional lights and the built in skylight, and then I've got color mapping with gamma correction to gamma 2.2 and color correction curves to get things where I have them.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Man that is looking cool, Great work mate:thumb:
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Looks awesome
    Thank you guys.

Wasn't particularly planning on updating today, as I only managed to do a small stretch (from the nearest gravity well projector to the bottom of the below render), but one of my test renders ended up being an interesting angle, so I upped the resolution and here it is:

levi14.jpg
    wow, that's quite amazing stuff.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    what are those big domes for ?
    they look like a pretty vulnerable weakpoint...
    They're the gravity well projectors. From what I can tell they need a clean line of sight to open space, so putting them down in those trenches is about as protected a spot as they can have. They're also armored, shielded, and non-vital to overall ship function, so I don't feel too bad about putting them out there. Not to mention those anti-fighter/point-defense turrets are right there to take out any fighters or torpedoes that get too close.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great uptade like always can't wait to see it finished I hope you consider on working on the new ships from the new old republic game take care buddy
    Nice work on the greebling, I unfortunately go mad if I have to do any, so I generally try to avoid it.
    Case in point my podracer is about 1.5 years old and its barely half finished because I get tired of greebling and take a break for a few months at a time :p

The new vray renders are cool too :thumb:
    I think I might have the opposite problem, is it possible to over greeble? "Guts on the outside" is my general greebling philosophy to get the Star Wars look, if that helps at all.

Finished up that trench area.

levi15trenchrear.jpg
    levi15bridge.jpg

Full ship:

levi15fullship.jpg
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    You'll want to watch the segmentation on the main hull when you get to it, and you might want to make the major panel lines in the battery area more subtle. Otherwise excellent stuff :)
    Solid advice, thanks fractal :)
    Nice, I like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
    Wow!! looks great..

i like it...:)
    Thanks guys.

Okay, took a break from trying to figure out what to put in the rear of that pit to do what fractal suggested. Same view as above, except I fixed some of the hull shape issues I had been putting off, did all the necessary things to take it through another round of mesh smooth, and toned down the plating on the terraces a bit.

levi15.jpg

So that's what happens when you take your main hull from 5k to 80k. :)
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking sweet Bro:thumb:
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    you and fractal amaze me on your star destroyers and there details! must bog down the system badly! if i even hope to do this i need a better machine!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the hangar bay. I'm wondering where exactly on the Leviathan it is actually supposed to be.
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow! very, very good! :D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Superior work Syklon.