Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: Old Republic Era Thread

• liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    that detailing is immense! cant wait to see it done! Are the large framed blank spaces windows? What are you using for references anyway, the in game model didnt have anywhere near thisdetail so have you found some cool concept art or are you just making it up as you go along?
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    That's some crazy detail! Very nice modeling indeed. Congrats!
    Are you planing to texture it?
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding detailing there mate:thumb:
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks everyone.

@Pyrocitor Three guesses what my screens resolution is ;)

@liam Yeah those are windows. They'll be lit up eventually. And I'm mostly making it up as I go along. Main source of inspiration is a single piece of concept art:
    Kotor_screen098.jpg
    (Yeah that's full resolution...) Honestly I don't use it for much beyond getting proportions right on big stuff and for general ideas.

@brain damage Textures probably won't go much beyond procedural stuff. We'll see when I get there.
    Figured I should light this baby up for Christmas.
    levi22ward.jpg
    levi22wardrear.jpg

Materials still seem a little off to me, so if anyone has tips I'm all ears.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Blue gray for the WIN! :D

Might want more, smaller windows, or at least thicker frames/dividing areas between them - the ones you have now make the ship seem smaller than the concept suggests - they're in the 700-800m, correct?

Also, have you tried adding more self-illumination to the window material? For a little glow effect? Though you could always render out the windows as another pass and composite in photoshop.
  • Looking good man :thumb:

I was thinking the same thing as fractal, the scaling of the windows makes it look a little small, although it was only 600m long.
    Similar scale windows to the ones on the bridge area in the concept art I would think would look better.
    Good point on the windows guys, having that post right after the concept image makes it pretty clear. Pyrocitor's right, its only 600m, but still. The window frames are currently scaled to be floor to ceiling or so (~3m vertical), but I'm going to try scaling them down some.

And I know what you're talking about with the window glow Ansel, I wanted more of that too. VRay just wasn't giving it to me somehow, I'll have to try some more. Mental Ray had the glow output shader that you could use, need to see if VRay has something similar.

Good news is I should have a good chunk of time over Christmas break here.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Looking great.
    Ha looking at the concept art tho you've got so much more to do, cant wait to see how you tackle the greebles and details on the clean hull panels. This ship is too nice for some panel lines it needs so much more if you get me?!?
  • Yea, I thought they might be floor to ceiling windows. Perhaps scaling them down so they're only a meter or so high?
    The bridge/command deck area's could probably stay with full windows though.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    You see the bridge in KOTOR, so you can scale from that if you feel anal. I use 1-1.5m squares (or octagons) for my windows, and at capital ship scales that tends to work well. Instance them, and a lot of them, and you'll get a good sense of scale and complexity.

You should be able to crank the self-illumination way up as a Vray material setting, but I know it's a bitch to get the right level. If it really doesn't work, just assign the windows a different matID and do a lens effect glow (it's a bitch for different resolutions, but it works) - either that, or just composite the self-illumination layer alone on top of the render in Photoshop.
    Yeah, I think I have the scale of the bridge down pretty accurately, just needed to make the others smaller. Anyway, rescaled them vertically to be ~1m tall, works much better. Also got glow working (had to go back to the built-in frame buffer, but oh well).

Figured I'd throw this up here for people's impressions on the scale:
    levi22rescaled.jpg

That's very rough, I need to adjust all the details around the windows now, and I'm going to adjust the number, positioning, and separation on the windows more (the set of windows directly in front of the end of the engine on the side is the look I want I think).
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s a nice ship and a well executed modelling sir. :)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    They still look pretty large compared to the concept image.
  • The windows just infront of the engines look great.
    Gives it a much better sense of scale without making it seem as big as the OT era SD's.
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    just getting better with every update:thumb:
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking there mate:thumb:
  • mate I never post, but I had to.

Firstly to bump, secondly, to say this is brilliant work.

please keep us posted with lots more renders!
    Glad to see I've dragged a lurker out of hiding, the sentiment is appreciated, and thanks to the rest of you as well.

I've finished overhauling the windows, it looks a ton better now. They look much better with redone separators and everything especially. Not as small as the tiny pin-pricks of light in the concept, but a good scale for the size. I'm trying to finish detailing that section on the rounded corner, then I'll post an update. Hopefully will be for Christmas.
    For those wondering, greebling on a curved surface is way harder than on a flat surface. I think that curved corner section took as long as most of the rest of that bottom area. Anyway, as promised:
    levi23sideclose.jpg
    levi23sidefull.jpg
    levi23rearfull.jpg

The dish thing there is a tractor beam projector along the lines of what modern ISDs have by their landing bays.

Big thanks to fractal and pyro for the advice on the windows, looks way better now in my opinion.

Also: Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work, dude!
    Loving the greeblie work!!!
    So, is this a canon Old Republic design, or a flight of fancy?(I started the Old Republic game, but didn't get out of the first level due to sheer boredom!!!)
  • Very nice man, the greebling is looking awesome :thumb:

The new scaling of the windows gives it a much more accurate sense of scale. Feels a lot bigger than the first "window" renders, while still hinting that it is significantly smaller than its Imperial-era descendants.
    Thanks guys.

The design is canon-ish. Its in the game, but I've ramped up the level of detail and changed/added so much stuff they only vaguely resemble each other beyond basic shape.
    This is the in-game version:
    leviathan_desk800.bmp
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent.
    I am still very impressed with the work you've done!
    :thumb:
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    I definitely like your version better than the in-game one, not just because of the detail, but because of some of the larger-scale things.

One thing in particular, I like the sort of plate-like trenches you've given it... reminiscent of the Cylon basestar from the reimagined BSG series.

:cool:
    Thanks guys. Been busy with other projects, but did a bit on this this weekend. Added a tiny bit more to the upper trench and worked on my materials some thanks to dreamwalker's help. The main hull might be a little too glossy, hard to tell with no details on it yet though, see what you guys think:
    levi24fronthalf.jpg
    levi24rearhalf.jpg

Its definitely different from the in-game shot above, I'm going more for how I remember it looking than it actually looks (if that makes any sense).
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    Looking pretty sexy, good hdri map too, looking forward to progress on this model.
  • japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    looks kinda Naboo-ish with just a hint oh the Republic... I like it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow, your doing a great job.
    Hope you can finish it soon. Like to see the final render.
    Thanks guys.
    good hdri map too
    I used a sky map with black ground, then motion blurred it vertically to go with the anisotropy. The one I used was part of a 20 pack from here: 20 HDRI Images by ~just-Nate on deviantART