Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars: Old Republic Era Thread

• alfludalflud0 Posts: 0Member
    What a totally amazing model. I've never seen this class of ship before - I love the shape of the main hull. Fantastic work Syklon.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks a lot guys.

I'm not sure where the hangars were actually supposed to be in the game, there seemed to be several contradicting tidbits suggesting several possibilities. I ended up picking the one I liked best. The basic cutouts have been there for a while, I think they showed up somewhat in one of the earlier renders.

Performance-wise it still runs smoothly for me, even with all the parts unhidden. Only time I had it start to slow down on me was before I started consolidating all the separate greebles into big chunks, but once I merged the several thousand objects together I haven't had any issues.

Update delayed because I'm clumsy and managed to cut up my hands by breaking a plate, so I didn't get done what I wanted to today.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that ship is fantastic ! :thumb: The ship is looking classes above what it did in the beginning !
    Sorry to hear about the hand, though - get well soon !
    Update time, filled in that rear section:

levi16rear.jpg
    levi16full.jpg

Think I'm going to take a break from trench work and do the engines section next.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    lol mad!
  • VASIMRVASIMR0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! Awesome work!
    What's your current poly count?
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    That there is quite beautiful.
    Thanks guys.

Poly count just hit 500k.
    love too see you do a fractal sponge and push it to a million lol
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I think that's a no brainer, given how much detail is left to do. It will probably end up closer to 2 mil.

Very nice so far Syklon. I'm sure Bioware would be interested to see the end result.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    man this is looking beautiful, Awesome work mate:thumb:
    I think over 1 million polys is a pretty safe bet, especially considering I just added another 200k or so.

This is by far my biggest update, spent all week on the engine section, so now you guys get it all in one go.

levi17rear.jpg
    levi17angled.jpg

I'd like to thank Guerilla for this post by the way, as that greatly sped up my creation of complex pipework for this.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent work Syklon. You are realy doing justice to this ship.
  • VASIMRVASIMR0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, this thing has so much detail that it almost looks lifelike without any materials. Great job!

How is max running for you with that many polys?

Also, thanks for the link, I missed that post. I never considered using that function to do that, brilliant idea.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    impressive! :eek:
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    If they ever do a movie about the old republic, you should give 'em a call.

Good work going on here. There's some crazy detail on that model, it deserves a film!
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wonderful!!!! :D
    I am continually impressed by how well the detail is being done for this ship. I especially like the interpretation of an ISD engine area onto a curved surface. Very slick. :thumb:

Call me old fashioned, but I think doing splines and pipework individually is better. I think it gives you much more control in how the pattern looks at the end, and prevents any weird filleting issues with the corners later. Still, however you did it for this, looks great.

Max will run at a lot higher than 1 million. Does get a little wonky past 12 though, but I said that when I hit 6, and it's still survived :P.
    Thanks guys. I have to say I've been enjoying getting to put a different spin on the traditional ISD look (for which, honestly, I usually just use renders of fractal's models for reference on that).

My brother asked to see a zoomed out render with the engines:

levi17widev.jpg

I still used single splines for the bigger pipes and the like, as I have to agree that allows for easier control, but for the smaller pipes within the mess of details I'd do it the other way and then chamfer the corners to make them less grid like.

As fractal says, Max doesn't seem to have any real issues with it, although it has started to occasionally crash when I work on larger subdiv'd pieces like the main hull or the engines. Glad to hear I don't have to worry about hitting any ceiling on polycount though.
  • tsne16487tsne1648761 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work, level of detail is amazing, very very nice.

Quick question - are you mapping your UVs as you complete each section, or are you going to do it all at the end? Unwrapping something of this size and complexity would intimidate even the most experienced artist, good stuff.
    I'm looking forward to the port/starboard side(s). Can't wait to see how you approach the turbo-laser batteries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very nice :thumb:

And I agree with fractal on the curved surface interpretation ;)

As for poly counts, with 64bit you shouldn't have any issues, unless you try to unhide the whole model in the viewport.
  • Dayton KitchensDayton Kitchens0 Posts: 0Member
    I used to think that Star Wars capital ship type designs were a dead end. Nice to see that is not true.
    I used to think that Star Wars capital ship type designs were a dead end. Nice to see that is not true.

There's loads to advance on. Star destroyers can be reshaped, mon-calimari cruisers can be made awesomer and bonthan assault cruisers can be beathed up. There's never an end to star wars modeling.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Not usually a star wars fan, but this is some great modelling!
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    This is outstanding mate:thumb:
    Melak wrote: »
    Not usually a star wars fan, but this is some great modelling!

We shall turn you to the dark side of modelling... (man, that sounded so cheesy)
    I'm looking forward to the port/starboard side(s). Can't wait to see how you approach the turbo-laser batteries.

Hm, methinks someone has not been paying attention :P
    *shrugs* Meh, I'm just lazy when reading.
    I first started paying real interest to this post when I first saw the turbo lasers in a picture link and thought what the **** are those lol, they are not turbo lasers!. Fast forwarded a couple of weeks later when I checked the post again and saw what they where attached to and changed my mind lol.
    Really like this model and design, always followed fractals models and renders, especially his own designs and no offense to him they are godly (and between him and coolhand they have been such an inspiration to strive to do better) but its nice to see a KOTOR design taken as far as yours has been done. I remember in KOTOR 1 when one of these ships wipes out the city, I would like to see you compose the same scene with your model, one would like to hope if you didnt someone else armed with your mesh would!