Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnimation - BSG / Zero hour

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    the AO really adds, but the depth of field made the picture ;)

will she be cut in half by a cylon raider crashing on the runway ?

i'd love that :D
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Hi tan.j Love your thread, i dont think ive poested on here before, you certanly dont need any advice from me, but great work...

I've been experimenting with the jump effect, i know you've got your graph so you've obviously done your home work, and as ive just said (dont need any advice from me)

Your right that the jump effects are inconsistent in the same shot let alone episode, i guess it depends whos compositing the effect at the time. I cant remember which episode i've got my ref from, but the jump (in this casse) was a 16 frame flash/wipe i call it
    a red flash from one side to the other. Not from the back of the ship to the front is i had thought... because there are shots where the flash occurs from the port and starboard sides of the ships. thats 4 frames, then when it reaches its final point it turns into a blue blue flash,

that goes back to the original start possition of the effect over 5 frames wiping the ship away.

once the flash gets there the shockwave emits from where the flash dies. and is 7 frames..

Not as scientific as your explination.... looking at it it doesnt make any sence what so ever... but nothing i say usualy does... Anyway i'm not trying to say mine is the right way, just thought id share what ref i used... i suppose i could post all 16 frames... but that might be hijacking your thread a little..

Anyway keep up the excelent work..
  • GrimGrim0 Posts: 0Member
    Love your work tan.j, playing with your models in layout now. Just trying to work out a few PFX.

I personally prefer the Season 2/Early Season 3 jump effect. Its just a gold colour instead of a blue/red, blue/orange combination. The ship seems to resize to zero on jump out over 2-3 frames, but appears behind the shockwave on jump in. Good example of the jump in is 2x01 when galactica re-joins the fleet at the end. Good jump out is 2x17 when Pegasus jumps away from the battlezone.

Not being a model maker I dont have a leg to stand on in terms of critisizing, but I hope you dont mind me asking if you plan on re-moddeling/texturing the ribs on your ships? Theyre really the only bit that looks, out of place? With the square textures on rounded surfaces.
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    Thanks Sastrei, L2K, markmassey and Grim.

@Sastrei
    ;)
    L2K wrote: »
    will she be cut in half by a cylon raider crashing on the runway ?

i'd love that :D

...no comment for a while... :D

@markmassey

It's just information/analysis results that I need!!!
    I appreciate if you would show your reference images here (or any other ways).

Even if here is hijacked, I do not mind it ;) I rather mind whether I would be able to show results appropriate to what I would get...

@Grim

I'll check jump scenes, which you mentioned, this weekend ;)

Currently re-modeling/texturing of the ribs is not scheduled however, it might be partially done if I need a close shot of her. I guess that Ouroboros v2 does not suit for a close shot.

Honestly I could not decide whether detailed structures on the ribs should be modeled until all of other modeling works were finished.
    As you may know, simple small structures were added on flight pod's ribs of old Ouroboros. They were modeled based on one of Zoic studios' images, but they hardly cast shadows because of their thinness. In addition, I have not established effective modeling technique for them yet, which means that I can not estimate when her model could be released. So, I decided not to model them finally, instead of releasing the model.
    Ok great, well i've zipped up two different image sequences, should give you a good idea.

Let me know if you want more, i suppose the more the better realy. but i dont want to start bombarding you with zip files..

I've got about 8-9 different sequences.

Good luck
    Thanks markmassey!

I'll check them on the next holiday.
    And I hope you would zip up two or more sequences (or would let me know which it is), one is your most favorite one and the other is the most complicated one :)
  • So I'm guessing you haven't seen the plan yet either?
    So I'm guessing you haven't seen the plan yet either?

Not yet.
    Even release date of Season4's DVDs has not been announced yet in my country...:(
    HI tan.j i've uploaded 2 more, funny enough my favourite and one of the more technically challenging ones possibly..

From daybreak where galactica jumps away from the fleet.

there is a scale and a ripple effect that looks good, not just a simple wipe.

the other zip files is the fleet jumping to earth... quite a few flashes to look at..

hope they help.
    Sorry it would probably help if i attached the files.... Do'h
    Thanks again markmassey ;)

I finished a test movie described below yesterday, began to check gifts from you today. As you wrote, a sequence from "Daybreak" is very interesting and cool, so I'm going to simulate flashes and a ripple effect in this sequence firstly.

=============================================

Rendering of all frames for a sequence that I called as "Fireball" had been finished yesterday, then I made a movie. Though its scene file was made for a private short movie whose title is the same as that of this thread, it was offered to lots of technical experiment actually then I got useful knowledge :) I tested new cameras introduced with LW3D9 such as Advanced camera and Real lens camera, HardFX, FiberFX, filters (bloom and those related to Depth of Field) and shaders (those related to Ambient Occlusion and Subsurface Scattering). Unfortunately less than half of tested results are reflected in the final movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmsl8sKcX8 (No sound)

caps_rh33-fireball.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow great work guys
  • That's pretty dam good work there tan.j. I have found your model is way to big for my VUE software to many poly grams hope you can down size it some.
    Thanks aylaa12 and uscmBSG75 :)
    uscmBSG75 wrote: »
    ... I have found your model is way to big for my VUE software to many poly grams hope you can down size it some.

Do you have a target of poly counts or of reduction ratio? :)

==================================

They are test shots of cut 1 of scene 33...

aaguns_wip01.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that looks brilliant ! :thumb: No doubt this will be one of the best animations to be shown here on SFM :D Oh and a small question - are the stars final version or will they have some blur and extra variance to them ?
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool work with the hangar bay scene! Just needs a fully textured/modeled interior, maybe when I've finished mine I could send it to you.
  • Awesome stuff tan.j . You are the one true God.
  • Just a quick note, for the users with links to other SMF threads in their sigs should re-update them since the server has been updated and those links are now obsolete.
    btw, love the latest shot! can't wait for a flak rendering...
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow thats only a little bit jum whith the other upgraded battlestar models and the future shots of the animation uffffff great
  • Don't know but here's the counts for the original model (1,874,816 polygons) which leaves 55% free resources. Version 2 comes out at (3,169,709) poly with less then 18% free. So has anyone else try'ed this model with any other 3d software then lightwave and 3max.
    Thanks somacruz145, Pearse, GreyFire, CylonMissleNuke and aylaa12 :)
    Wow that looks brilliant ! :thumb: No doubt this will be one of the best animations to be shown here on SFM :D Oh and a small question - are the stars final version or will they have some blur and extra variance to them ?

At least number density of starts and variations of their color and brightness would be updated ;)
    Pearse wrote: »
    Very cool work with the hangar bay scene! Just needs a fully textured/modeled interior, maybe when I've finished mine I could send it to you.

Wow, it sounds great!
    but I'm afraid that they may not match with my quite rough models...:D
    Just a quick note, for the users with links to other SMF threads in their sigs should re-update them since the server has been updated and those links are now obsolete.
    btw, love the latest shot! can't wait for a flak rendering...

Thank you for a note. They would be fixed in a week ;)
    uscmBSG75 wrote: »
    Don't know but here's the counts for the original model (1,874,816 polygons) which leaves 55% free resources. Version 2 comes out at (3,169,709) poly with less then 18% free. So has anyone else try'ed this model with any other 3d software then lightwave and 3max.

I checked the poly-counts (Triangles);

OUROBOROS Ver.1 1.88M,
    OUROBOROS Ver.2 Level1 1.84M,
    OUROBOROS Ver.2 Level2 2.14M,
    OUROBOROS Ver.2 Level3 4.31M.

I guess the poly-counts of Ver.1 are consistent with those you mentioned, thus all values shown above may help you.
    A detailed level of the Ver.1 mesh is equivalent to that of the level2 combination of Ver.2 meshes. So, I recommend to import meshes for level1 first, then to add meshes for level2. Loading all meshes for the level3 is overkill for me, so I never load level3 meshes that are placed outside a camera frame...:D

In order to reduce total size of model files, a model/layer combination of each detailed level is fairly complicated.
    Here, layers with "*" show ones that need to be mirror-copied in x-direction. Moreover a dual cannon need to be copied 24 in total for all levels.

Level1:
    -gtype_body_head_v2_main.lwo: All layers
    -gtype_body_middle_v2_main.lwo: Layer1-10(Ouroboros) / Layer1-9, 11(Galactica)
    -gtype_right_pod_v2_main.lwo: Layer1-9(Ouroboros) / Layer1-7,9,10(Galactica)
    -gtype_left_pod_v2_main.lwo: Layer1-9(Ouroboros) / Layer1-7,9,10(Galactica)
    -gtype_body_bottom_v2_main.lwo: All layers
    -gtype_cannon.lwo: Layer1 x 24 (Layer1 includes one dual cannon)

Level2:
    Level1 meshes +
    -gtype_body_head_v2_plus.lwo: Layer1, Layer2, Layer1*
    -gtype_body_middle_v2_plus.lwo: Layer1, Layer2, Layer1*
    -gtype_pod_common_v2_plus.lwo: Layer1(Left Pod), Layer1*(Right Pod)
    -gtype_body_bottom_v2_plus.lwo: Layer1, Layer1*

_ouroboros_v2_head_layers01.jpg

Level3:
    Level2 meshes +
    -gtype_body_head_v2_plus.lwo: Layer3, Layer4, Layer5, Layer3*, Layer5*
    -gtype_body_middle_v2_plus.lwo: Layer3, Layer4, Layer5, layer6, Layer3*, Layer5*
    -gtype_pod_common_v2_plus.lwo: Layer2(Left Pod), Layer3(Left Pod), Layer2*(Right Pod),Layer3*(Right Pod)
    -gtype_body_bottom_v2_plus.lwo: Layer2, Layer3, Layer2*, Layer3*

_ouroboros_v2_head_layers02.jpg
  • Thanks Tan. J that was my next plan of attack this has been only the second time that I have seen this with any model imported from lightwave or 3dmax.
    Today I made a new test rig for a FTL jump scene, based on reference images uploaded by markmassey (Thanks!:)). Though I felt flashes ran through so fast when I edited the rig, the first test movie showed it matched a sound effect that was sampled from the show in timing ;)
    They are rendered images without additional effects...
    FTL_jump_test_quicklook.jpg
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    How'd you do the 'warping' effect? Morhps? Skelegons folding in on themselves? Or something else entirely?

That's pretty cool!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that looks really awesome ! :thumb: I want to see the animation !
    Thanks today and somacruz145 :)
    today wrote: »
    How'd you do the 'warping' effect? Morhps? Skelegons folding in on themselves? Or something else entirely?
    That's pretty cool!

I tested two types of "warping" effects today. The both were realized by using the advanced camera, which was introduced into LW3D9, with displacement maps.

advenced_camera_settings.jpg

In the test01, a procedural texture, "Turbulence2D", was applied to the camera plane of the advanced camera.

FTL_jump_test_quicklook01.jpg

In the test02, images were applied as displacement maps instead of a procedural texture. Map images were rendered results of flashes, when volumetric light option was ON, brightness was 0 and flare option was OFF. Of course, a procedural texture was applied to each volumetric light and rendering mode was "Sprite".

FTL_jump_test_quicklook02.jpg

Because I do not have a program such as Adobe After Effects, all animation works have been done by LW3D :)
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    Ah... I still run LW7.5 so I had no idea the advanced camera could do that. Kinda makes me want to go out an grab an academically discounted copy of LW9.x before the release of Core:cool:
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow,

This is fantastic work!
    Great work on your FTL Tan.j Glad that ref was useful..

Keep up the good work..

Cant wait to see your animation.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    your FTL looks fantastic:thumb: