Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnimation - BSG / Zero hour

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I wonder, does this Galactica mesh avaible for download somewhere?

A good Galactica mesh is so hard to find...
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    @Beti

If you meant my Ouroboros v2, you can find it in the resource section of foundation3d.com.

=================================================
    Though today I tried to upload an archive file of Pleiades v2 to this site, it failed. The maximum size of an upload file might be limited to less than around 20MB yet...:(

pleiades_v2_ortho.jpg

wip_hesperides_02.jpg

wip_hesperides_03.jpg
    Would be awesome, but as I see no max version:(
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Most likely because all these fine models were built in Lightwave.
    Get converting (with tan.j's permission) and see them in all their glory in your app of choice :)
    They say it can be done, but it retexturing might be necessary.

I'm a 3d noob, I can't do ****e, only basic stuff, and setting up scenes to render.

I could not make retexturing:(
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Well enlist the help of a conversion master here on the site. Or put a call out to other MAX users here and see if someone has already done the work and is willing to share it. Again with the necessary permissions.
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    I always look forward to seeing updates, excellent work yet again :)

The only question I have is do the flight pod "collars" retract as well as the flight pod supports themselves?

By that I mean when Galactica's flight pods retract, the collars that the supports are sliding into also retract, so that the entire structure is flush with the hull.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wonderful work
    Great work Tan j you did it again.
    Thanks beti, mikala, YIIMM, aylaa12 and uscmBSG75 :)

@Beti
    3ds Max is too expensive for me :D My wallet became empty only buying LW3D...
    As mikala wrote, there are many experienced members who can help you. And as for released meshes of mine, I hope you feel free to convert data format without my permission.
    YIIMM wrote: »
    The only question I have is do the flight pod "collars" retract as well as the flight pod supports themselves?
    By that I mean when Galactica's flight pods retract, the collars that the supports are sliding into also retract, so that the entire structure is flush with the hull.

The "collars" of Minerva class vessels were fixed for protecting sliding mechanisms of pod supports :D

When I designed Ouroboros (v1) and Minerva class vessels in 2006, a resource that I could refer was only a DVD of the mini-series. In the mini-series, there was no cut for judging whether the "collars" were retracted with pod supports or not. At that time, I decided to fix the collars because it was estimated that independent slide mechanisms of them required large volumes and they interfered with other mechanisms such as those for cannons. So the collars of Ouroboros v1 were fixed.

Honestly I was surprised when I saw your animation in 2008 (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?45737-Sketchup-Battlestar&p=337827&viewfull=1#post337827). Then I confirmed that they were retracted by seeing released DVDs of following series in early 2009. So, those of Ouroboros v2 could be retracted. (Please remember that DVDs of season 4 have not released yet in Japan.)

The first jump in the mini-series. The pods were not retracted.

cap01.jpg

Preparing for a jump at the Ragnar anchorage. I could not know where the collars were.

cap03.jpg

Just before a jump from the Ragnar Anchorage. It's too small...

cap05.jpg
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    I think they would be quite tricky to get right; in that unfinished model I did the collars actually intersected when retracted. I'm not sure how Zoic did it, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it was physically impossible.

It's quite rare that they show the mechanism in any great detail in the show, I think the most they ever show it is this shot from 2.01 Scattered.The first jump in the miniseries was a VFX gaffe, I think, they show the pods retracting and then 30 seconds afterwards they're fully open again :p

In any case, it's a very minor detail, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Hesperides :)
    Tan.J, will you still update the Hyades? The one with the 6x2 engines?
    Thanks YIIMM and Aigle-Imperial :)

Currently I'm tackling with Hesperides v2.0 and Hyades v2.5 in parallel, simply because lots of components of them are in common. Head sections of them had been almost completed , and now I'm working on their middle sections ;)

wip_hyades_v25_01.jpg

wip_hesperides_06.jpg
    Battlestrar Ouroboros v2.0a and Pleiades v2.0 in LW3D format are now available from the download section ;)

More than 90% of modeling work for head, middle hull and engine sections of Hesperides have been completed :) Gunpods, which are attached on the bottom surfaces of flight pods, will be re-designed.

wip_hesperides_08.jpgwip_hesperides_09.jpgwip_hesperides_10.jpgwip_hesperides_11.jpg
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Looks fantastic!
    nice work on the hesperides lov the new look its funny since the perseus is of the same design she's glorious great work friend the colors and shading are really marvelous it springs the whole ship to life
  • RyconRycon0 Posts: 0Member
    i like it
    Thanks EBOLII, aylaa12 and Rycon ;)

I decided to introduce a concept of "a gunpod module" for Hesperides :)

Though four gunpod modules hang from a flight pod in images shown below, they may be replaced by three gunpod modules and two intermediate auxiliary modules then other auxiliary modules would be added at the both end finally.

wip_hesperides_14.jpgwip_hesperides_12.jpgwip_hesperides_13.jpg
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Hey look at that. I didn't see them....that is most excellent!
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    As I said earlier...

BY FAR, THE SINGLE * B E S T * FAN MADE BSG SHIP(s)! PERIOD.

Your vision is amazing. It's as if you were part of the ZOIC team! Your attention to detail and especially visual style is note worthy to say the least!

I absolutely adore the nuBSG series. Have the boxed set on bluray and watch it on my 10' screen! I use your images as well in my HTPC as part of the desktop slide show, along with all my other BSG-centric pics. Anyone who watches the series is amazed they never "noticed" that ship before. Then I have to break it to them that it's a fan based design. They're stunned.

EXCELLENT work my friend, simply excellent.
    Thanks EBOLII and rms8_347 ;)

An outline design of gunpod modules and auxiliary modules were fixed temporarily. I hope you like them ;)

wip_hesperides_16.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    looks good. what will there be on the end of the gunpod ?
    the gunpod system is very intresting this way you can swap pods depending on the mission great idea tanj and I have too say I'm really glad you added the perseus to the list of ships of its class your ship modeling is great and everytime you get down to it you look to improve your work to the next level great work buddy
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    Modular Battlestar FTW
    Thanks L2K, aylaa12 and StarSlayer :)
    L2K wrote: »
    looks good. what will there be on the end of the gunpod ?
    Auxiliary modules will be attached at the both ends, each of which would have a short deck for importing cannon's shells and would be heavily armored. But its design has not been fixed yet :D
    aylaa12 wrote: »
    the gunpod system is very intresting this way you can swap pods depending on the mission great idea...
    StarSlayer wrote: »
    Modular Battlestar FTW
    It's very tough for me to modularize a whole vessel :D But as aylaa12 wrote, module configuration of a pod can be varied depending on the mission once their spec. is standardized. There might be cannon modules, ECM/sensor modules, container modules etc. and they can be used for not only vessels but also space stations.

Here shows a simple idea of a armed tanker, four container modules (light-blue ones) were replaced by cannon modules :)

wip_hesperides_18.jpg
    yeah tanj you got it right thats what I'm talking about taking it to the next level and the edge this is what modeling is all about only this time you're adding the mechanics and engineering of the ship thats the true skill of a model maker great work pal
  • scbypwrscbypwr0 Posts: 0Member
    Do you need to have the inverted viper launch tubes since this pod looks like it only has one flightdeck vs the twin flightdecks seen on the Pegasus?
    Thanks aylaa12 and scbypwr :)

Yep, I may be enjoying a kind of engineering work by modeling of original BSG vessels ;)
    scbypwr wrote: »
    Do you need to have the inverted viper launch tubes since this pod looks like it only has one flightdeck vs the twin flightdecks seen on the Pegasus?
    As I wrote in my old thread that is not seen now, the inverted viper launch tubes are used for launching viper-based cruise missiles by Hesperides type battlestar ;) I'm going to close 8 tubes per a flight pod, because the gunpod design was altered.
  • scbypwrscbypwr0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the info. Your ships are beautiful and magnificent in an engineered sort of way....:D
    Thanks scbypwr :)

Some launch tubes were closed, and additional modules were attached at the both ends of the gunpod ;)
    I'm going to re-model some armor panels in order to give these pods a bit different feeling from Hyades' ones before adding detailed structures on the gunpod.

wip_hesperides_21.jpg

wip_hesperides_23.jpg

btw, I remembered that an original gunpod's mesh was based on a flight pod mesh of Ouroboros. So these dimensions are quite the same... This is just a test, it would be never built :D

onlyatest.jpg