Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnimation - BSG / Zero hour

• J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Breathtaking work!

:thumb:

How many hours are you into on this?
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    Thanks asddsa0147, aylaa12 and J.Wilde :)
    J.Wilde wrote: »
    Breathtaking work!
    :thumb:
    How many hours are you into on this?

Only for updating, I guess it took around 25 hours in modeling and test rendering.
    It may sound short, but this work needed no trial and error, moreover lots of parts were copied from other models such as Ouroboros ;)

========================================

wip_pleiades_V2_25.jpg
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    I suppose commonality of parts helps out a lot! :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Beyond awesome.
  • black campbellblack campbell0 Posts: 0Member
    Always liked this design and mesh. Great work, as usual!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    the action station mode could be more agressive i think.
    i'd give a try to less strong lights, but alot more, covering more sections of the ship. at least having the perimeter in red light.
    and leaving the white lights only for the ship name, that kind of cyclop eye, and the 2 things on the head end (are those larger missiles? landing zones?)
    you'd have a more agressive look, which is good for an attack (or a defense).

having the armor plates lighted from underneath is pretty cool and really good looking in normal mode, but it has less sense in action mode. it says : shoot at me right here, i have no armor
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work tan.j:thumb:

I agree with L2K that you could make the action station mode a little more agressive, maybe adding some red lights around the engines.
    Thanks J.Wilde, BolianAdmiral, black campbell, L2K and Ice-Dragon ;)
    J.Wilde wrote: »
    I suppose commonality of parts helps out a lot! :)
    Yep :D
    Always liked this design and mesh. Great work, as usual!
    Thanks again. I guess that you may know how the BSG number of Pleiades' came to be assigned as 55...
    L2K wrote: »
    the action station mode could be more agressive i think.
    i'd give a try to less strong lights, but alot more, covering more sections of the ship. at least having the perimeter in red light.
    and leaving the white lights only for the ship name, that kind of cyclop eye, and the 2 things on the head end (are those larger missiles? landing zones?)
    you'd have a more agressive look, which is good for an attack (or a defense).

having the armor plates lighted from underneath is pretty cool and really good looking in normal mode, but it has less sense in action mode. it says : shoot at me right here, i have no armor
    Ice-Dragon wrote: »
    Outstanding work tan.j:thumb:

I agree with L2K that you could make the action station mode a little more agressive, maybe adding some red lights around the engines.

If there are chances that enemies can see her red lights, I agree with you. And red lights in original images are quite dark, contrast of the image embedded in the previous my post was strongly enhanced.

wip_pleiades_V2_25b.jpg

In the current lighting plan that I call as "Raging salamander", the number of lights that turn red was minimized from two reasons.

One comes from her background story, which was wrote once in my old thread in 2007.
    My Minerva class vessels have long-range attack capability that was not seen in original BSG vessels, so I introduced a concept of EMCON (Emission Control) into my BSG universe only for this class. Where, typical distance between a Minerva class vessel and targets is 3-10 times longer than a diameter of a gas giant planet like Jupiter. Under the highest level of EMCON (EMCON One), all kinds of electromagnetic emission is forbidden in her battlestar group. DRADIS is turned into passive mode, then a laser communication network are established among some reconnaissance vipers (viper with an AWACS-like dish that is filled with passive sensors and is called as "Eye of Horus"), which are placed near targets, and her, moreover missiles are pushed out by compressed gas (silent launch).

vipers2.jpg

The objective of red lights is to warn to friendly vessels that do not join the laser communication network and standard vipers around her that her weapons are ready for firing, without electric wave communication. Thus, red lights are located only around cannons and missile tubes, and enemies never can see her red lights when she succeeds in attack.

The other depends on my direction plan for an short animation that would be never made.
    I want to give to her a feeling "she is raging, but most of her rage is being hidden inside her and waiting for time to be released". In other words, I intended to express strong rage existing inside her in red light leaking from underside of armor plates.

btw, in my background story, at least five Minerva class vessels, Minerva, Pleiades, Hyades, Andromeda and Hesperides, were deployed during the first Cylon war.
    Though Minerva and her experimental battlestar group had demonstrated the effectiveness of the long-range attack coupled with EMICON, this effectiveness was lost in around 5 years because Cylon fleets introduced new tactics based on improved FTL jump technologies. Minerva, Pleiades, Hyades and Andromeda were deployed during that five years, while design of Hesperides that was still in building was altered into Battlestar-Gunstar hybrid for enhancing close-combat firepower. Thus the colonial fleet introduced the concept of the long-range attack in its tactics, strategy and doctrine once however, this concept was abandoned before the armistice.
    My other non-canon concepts introduced into remodeled Andromeda and Sleipnir, such as AIGIS (Advanced Integrated Global Investigation and Surveillance system) and MEDOUSA (Multi-purpose Enhanced Dradis based On Universal Secure Architecture), are countermeasures for new Cylon fleet tactics.

In the lighting plan, four kinds of lights are used, white ones for lighting ship name, light-yellow ones for showing hull's outlines, light-yellow/red ones for warning as described above and light-blue ones of sensor complexes including long-range DRADIS sensors. Four light-blue lights at the head end are the last ones and these had been introduced in 2007 already as shown below :)
    From the viewpoint of camouflage, spectrum of her lights may have to simulate common stars :D

llight_test_03.jpg
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    The idea of keeping the ship as undetected as possible is a good one, because of it's massive size, I may suppose that is not as maneuverable as the Galactica and Colonials will want a ship like the Pleiades to be able to launch all of it's punch onto the enemy before they realize what hit them.
    The model is outstanding and very menacing, the idea of AWACS Vipers is very interesting, even though I would use Raptors, but maybe the AWACS Vipers can lend a hand and free Raptors to do bomber duties :devil:.
    Keep it up! and I am most looking forward to see your new ships :thumb:
    Chiletrek wrote: »
    Hello:
    The idea of keeping the ship as undetected as possible is a good one, because of it's massive size, I may suppose that is not as maneuverable as the Galactica and Colonials will want a ship like the Pleiades to be able to launch all of it's punch onto the enemy before they realize what hit them.
    The model is outstanding and very menacing, the idea of AWACS Vipers is very interesting, even though I would use Raptors, but maybe the AWACS Vipers can lend a hand and free Raptors to do bomber duties :devil:.
    Keep it up! and I am most looking forward to see your new ships :thumb:

Thanks Chiletrek ;)

As you supposed, I also assumed that a priority of maneuverability in designing Minerva/Pleisades was low. So designers of Hyades (and the first Andromeda) had focused on improving their maneuverability, moreover 2-dimensional vector thrusters were introduced into the remodeled Andromeda for giving the highest maneuverability to her.

As I wrote in old my thread, these stories (or technological consistency and time line) had been established in me when I started these models in 2007. One of the differences between my stories and the show was deployment timing of Raptor Mk.I :D

Until I saw "Razor" in 2009, I never imagined that Raptor Mk.I had been deployed during the first Cylon war, simply because it's "Mk.I" while the latest Viper is "Mk.VII".
    The Viper with a dish and one that was 2-seater attacker version had been introduced instead of the Raptor in my story. You might see them in images that I uploaded to the gallery section during 2007-2008 but they had been deleted already.

btw, ummm, there is no room for new vessel in my story...:)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i made an awacs pack for mk2 vipers once.
    as mine is looking very heavy and messy (but that was the whole point), i think yours is looking too light and simple.
    i mean, there should be lots of stuff in an awacs. things that could be on the outside, like better comunication system, laser network, maybe electronic countermeasures, and so on...

theres also one think that really makes sense in the bsg universe, but we ve never seen... ftl jump missiles.
    we all have seen the effect of a raptor jump out near the galactica's hull. it teared the armuor plates off.
    a jump in should do even more damage. especially if it brings a nuke with...
    Thanks L2K ;)

I guess what I can now is only to explain my thoughts.
    Currently I'm trying to summarize my background stories for my BSG related works, and they would be posted in other thread.
    as mine is looking very heavy and messy (but that was the whole point), i think yours is looking too light and simple.
    i mean, there should be lots of stuff in an awacs. things that could be on the outside, like better comunication system, laser network, maybe electronic countermeasures, and so on...

Please remember that I wrote it's an "AWACS-like dish", not an "AWACS's dish".
    A dish on a reconnaissance version of Viper Mk.I is a single passive sensor complex, and it only works as one of passive sensors when lots of this type of Vipers, which are located around targets, are networked to construct a sensor array. In other words, it's only a manned passive sensor complex (like single parabola antenna for the SETI project) and has no function related to C3I, so its simple looks are intentional and reasonable.

wip_pleiades_V2_29.jpg

While, all C3I functions remain in a Minerva class vessel. And the role of the Viper with the dish is the same as standard Vipers once EMCON level is downed.

Of course I had checked your AWACS pack for Viper MK.II. I had given up considering a concept like this already at that time except possibility to give an EW (Early Warning) function, simply because I guessed that a Viper was too small and the EW function was not fit for the tactics during the first Cylon war. In contrast, I guessed that there may be room for the EW type Vipers in the post war era after the armistice. I modeled a Viper Mk.VII with a dish once, its role in a squadron is the same as Raptor Mk.I.

Though I do not know whether it is unfortunately or not, background stories of my BSG universe were constructed for explaining how the colonial fleet came to be as described in the mini-series. Thus, my background stories could give reasons for the lack of many things that were not shown in the mini-series such as a AWACS-type Viper.

Of course, my background stories contains some inconsistency now, because these were constructed before I saw Season one or later.
    theres also one think that really makes sense in the bsg universe, but we ve never seen... ftl jump missiles.
    we all have seen the effect of a raptor jump out near the galactica's hull. it teared the armuor plates off.
    a jump in should do even more damage. especially if it brings a nuke with...

If the scene that Galactica hit by a Raptor is seen in Season Four or "The Plan", please do not write more... Season Three yet in Japan :)

From my background stories, effectiveness of "unmanned" FTL jump missiles is doubted from their low hit precision and possibility of "manned" ones is denied from the viewpoint of ethics and/or religions. This my stance was derived from one of my rules, "Do not touch too vague (from the viewpoint of physics) imaginary technology, because it would never bring me any kinds of the sense of wonder".

Anyway, descriptions of FTL jump technology in the show were inconsistent and relation between time and space / distance has not been explained.
    In the episode "Lay Down Your Burdens", one Rapter jumped out inside of a mountain but its identification signal was alive. This showed that the FTL jump was a technology for replacing two spaces / volumes instantaneously. If not so, the mountain might had to blow up due to energy generated by nuclear fusion.
    While in "Razor", smoke and flame were vacuumed up to the point that PEGASUS had existed after she jumped in. This description showed that a space / a volume of the vessel was removed.
    I know that it's a nitpick, my rules also say "Do not ignore only a matter in a certain concept inconvenient for myself intentionally, it's better to ignore whole the concept."

Though it is considered to use nuclear warheads for FTL jump missiles in order to cover the low hit precision, the doctrine of the colonial fleet in the post war era seems to define implicitly the fleet as defence forces or territory border guards, so I guess that there is no chances the fleet consider this kind of aggressive idea in its strategy and tactics. (It may cause the battle scenes seen in "STARGATE ATLANTIS"... to transport a nuclear warhead inside of a enemy ship directly...)

Of course, I never deny that the fleet could send lots of unmanned Raptors with nuclear warheads to the Cylon home world instead of FTL jump missiles if the fleet find it. But I do not want to see scenes like this because they do not fit for BSG that I love.
    In my opinion, hatred to others of each main character was extremely repressed by various reasons in the show. It may symbolize existence of a hope within each character, and is one of the reasons that I love this show.
    A beta version light rig for Pleiades V2 has been finished...

allquietattheragnaranchorage_r0.jpgreadyforjump_beta.jpg
  • CylonMissleNukeCylonMissleNuke0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice! ;)
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww tanj great colors the lighting puffffffffffffffffff perfect great work friend love the space walk nice touch
    Thanks CylonMissleNuke and aylaa12 ;)

It's the latest test rendering result. Though I found some problems related to modeling, I'm going to correct them and finish(stop?) modeling in this weekend :)

pleiadesv2_3views_beta.jpg
  • newmannewman0 Posts: 0Member

I have to disagree on this. I mean, here's what a real AWACS looks like:

awacs2.jpg

And this system, even if old, has plenty of stuff to it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I always thought yours is ridiculously overdetailed. It looks like a parody in a cartoony sort of sense - I'd never place it in any "serious" BSG setting. The fact that it's a complex system with loads of different sensors doesn't mean the military will design it to look like some sort of overgrown swiss army knife with easily breakable parts. Again, just my opinion and I hope you don't get insulted over it.
    Anyway, great work tan.j. The Pleiades is especially impressive (named after my favorite constellation as well ;) )
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    You can't be "serious" can you? Did you see that Raptor in one episode that was covered in missile pods and machineguns?
    This has far less going on than that monstrosity.
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    mikala wrote: »
    You can't be "serious" can you? Did you see that Raptor in one episode that was covered in missile pods and machineguns?
    This has far less going on than that monstrosity.
    newman's referring to L2K's AWACS Viper not Tan.j's modified MK I which is a nice simple conversion.

Tan.j, I think a Wild Weasel variant of your two seater MK I might be a cool idea as well, have some Jammer and TADs pods on the fuselage plus HARM type missiles.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Forgive me while I remove my foot from my mouth. Apologies newman.
    I still think the Raptor on the show looked goofy though.
    If they had kept it to version with "Hellfire" missiles, rocket pods and miniguns on wing hardpoints it probably would have been a bit more serious. The Raptor always looked a bit "Apache" esq to me anyway. But the shoulder pods are a bit OTT, not to mention I think they block the hatch :P Funny enough I think I did see some concept art where the Raptor took after the EA-6B Prowler instead of the helicopter look they went with..
    Thanks newman, mikala and StarSlayer :)

I personally guess that a AWACS needs a commander and at least 3-4 crew for functioning as it. It means that even a Raptor is too small to arrange a rest room, coffeemakers, microwave ovens and so on in it :D

Though a concept of a viper with lots of sensor heads has been still attractive for me, I'm afraid that it would spoil a kind of "Low-tech. touch", which the BSG universe has.

Shoulder pods on a Raptor looked a last resort for me, felt their usages might be out of a standard. I imagined a scene that deck crew were mounting them through hardships... :)
    StarSlayer wrote: »
    Tan.j, I think a Wild Weasel variant of your two seater MK I might be a cool idea as well, have some Jammer and TADs pods on the fuselage plus HARM type missiles.

The image below had been shown in the gallery section of this site in 2007. There are three two-seater Viper Mk.I in the image, and two of them mount missiles on their wings. These missiles are Air-to-Ship type ones, of course their targets are Basestars. I imagined that these missiles were called "Toaster smasher" or "Thor's hammer", and there might be graffiti like "Hey toasters!" on their surfaces :D

firing_all_batteries.jpg

And it shows a long-recon variant, which was inspired from "Star Chaser" in TOS BSG.

viper_reconvariant_4views.jpg

By mixing these two designs, I may get a wild weasel variant that you mentioned ;)
    Modeling of Pleiades is up today!

wip_pleiades_V2_36.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_37.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_38.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_39.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_40.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_41.jpgwip_pleiades_V2_42.jpg
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    Absolutely BRILLIANT !!!!!

This has to be the most true-to-the-series fan based design I've ever seen.

Two questions (which may have already been asked/answered??) :

1) Why no turrets hanging in the front of the head?
    2) What is the do-dad extending from the bottom of the front? Some sort of sensor?

Thanks, and again, simply AWESOME!
    Beautiful. I love the way you built two Galactica style engines together as a single unit those are ace.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    only one word FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its great modeling at its best can't wait to see the other minerva variants done too many thanks for adding the perseus to the list with every new uptade you take your models to the next level of detail and perfection
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work on the Pleiades :thumb: I look forward to seeing you take on the other minerva class ships:D
  • CylonMissleNukeCylonMissleNuke0 Posts: 0Member
    great renders! one thing though, i always thought that she could use a few more guns under the alligator head. the space seems a little empty with just three guns on each side... i understand though, if the lack of guns is due to the abundance of missle launchers.
  • black campbellblack campbell0 Posts: 0Member
    Spectacular! I've loved this design since it first started taking shape on scifi-meshes. Great work, tanj!
    Thanks rms8_347, StarSlayer, aylaa12, Ice-Dragon, CylonMissleNuke and black campbell ;)

Light rigs for release version mesh have been fixed! I'm going to release Pleiades V2.0 in a few weeks :)

wip_pleiades_V2_43.jpg
    rms8_347 wrote: »
    Absolutely BRILLIANT !!!!!
    This has to be the most true-to-the-series fan based design I've ever seen.
    Two questions (which may have already been asked/answered??) :
    1) Why no turrets hanging in the front of the head?
    2) What is the do-dad extending from the bottom of the front? Some sort of sensor?
    Thanks, and again, simply AWESOME!

"the most true-to-the-series fan based design"! -- it's the best praise for me and her ;)

As CylonMissleNuke wrote, inside of the head section of her are filled with lots of things, such as missile tubes, water tanks, additional thrusters (upper and lower), long-range DRADIS sensor units. Moreover, missile tubes and their storage volumes have to be partitioned for fire protection etc. Honestly, I hesitated about even adding six batteries from the viewpoint of my engineering sense :D
    As for the second question, it should be one of long-range DRADIS sensors :D
    StarSlayer wrote: »
    Beautiful. I love the way you built two Galactica style engines together as a single unit those are ace.

I also like her engine pods. If I had not got their design, I never made her mesh.
    Ice-Dragon wrote: »
    Fantastic work on the Pleiades :thumb: I look forward to seeing you take on the other minerva class ships:D
    I added a link to your Pleiades and Forseti to my signature. Thanks a lot and I love them!