Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnimation - BSG / Zero hour

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Truly awesome...
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    I liked the video you did, very cool how you allowed to show all details in your Battlestar. I did see your other videos and I was interested in that Viper Mark VII with the dish, is that an AWACs-like Viper? :devil:
    As for the engines in the Battlestar, the different version in your last pic (in the Ionian Nebula) I think it comes when the serie's special effects changed from Zoic to the In-house (sp?) studios, that is when we began seeing from season3 the retconned Raider, heavy Raider, Basestar, Viper Mark VII (not all, but some), some civilian ships like the Space Park and the new engines on Galactica.
    Well, good luck with your modelling :thumb: .
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    Thanks BolianAdmiral and Chiletrek.

@Chiletrek
    Honestly I was surprised many times by differences of props, models etc from those of the previous seasons when I watched season 3's DVDs first ;).
    > I was interested in that Viper Mark VII with the dish, is that an AWACs-like Viper? :devil:
    Yes :D If I were a member of a development section of the colonial fleet, I propose it instead of the development of the next generation RAPTOR because it must be cheaper and might has higher survivability (Of course, the CNP is installed... :devil:)

I have made three sample light rigs for a release version of OUROBOROS Ver.2 and rendered them. Loaded mesh data to LW Layout for describing detailed structures on a hull is different among the rigs.

Level1: No mesh data of structures on the hull surfaces is loaded, the panels on the hull are described by only a simple bump map.
    Level2: A part of mesh data of structures on the hull surfaces is loaded. This manner is nearly the same as that of old OUROBOROS and HYADES Ver.2.
    Level3: All mesh data of structures on the hull surfaces is loaded.

Selected meshes (yellowed meshes) show loaded meshes in the Level2 and the Level3 rig.

level2_on_layout.jpglevel3_on_layout.jpg

Comparisons of poly-counts and memory that shown in the "Render status" window on LW Layout among various rigs are shown below. As shown in the figure, required memory for rendering the Level2 rig is fewer than that of HYADES Ver.2, SKINFAXI and SLEIPNIR.

polygons_memory_comparisons.jpg

Rendered images are;

ouroboros_v2_level1_01.jpg,
    ouroboros_v2_level2_01.jpg,
    ouroboros_v2_level3_01.jpg.

To tell the truth, a new lower-poly model of a dual cannon (lower-left in the image shown below) was made in order to decrease total poly-counts. Old OUROBOROS, SLEIPNIR etc used the lower-center one, and the most detailed model that I have is shown at the lower-right in the image. These six models shown in the image, including damaged cannons, would be released with OUROBOROS Ver.2.

gtype_cannon_lwo.jpg

btw, detailed structures on the hull surfaces had been omitted in the show frequently :devil:

cap03_.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    this is great modeling at its best with outstanding skill I wonder how it it look if you tried your touch on a valkyrie class battlestar I would drool over it jajajajaja great work tanj
    aylaa12 wrote: »
    this is great modeling at its best with outstanding skill I wonder how it it look if you tried your touch on a valkyrie class battlestar I would drool over it jajajajaja great work tanj

Thanks aylaa12.
    Though I tried to make Valkyrie's mesh once, Infinity238's excellent works and a HD trouble were enough for me to decide to quit that work :D Honestly I was interested in Valk again when I watched Razor in the last fall...

Today I made a set of Ouroboros' images. These images shown below were rendered by using model and scene files that will be released ;)

ouroboros_v2_03.jpg

ouroboros_v2_13.jpg

ouroboros_v2_11.jpg

ouroboros_v2_14.jpg

alone.jpg

outoboros_v2_ortho.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    This is no doubt the most detailed BSG model I have ever seen tan.j. I could probably stare at it for hours and still find new details to admire :D
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Everytime I check back on this thread I'm more impressed. Your dedication and attention to detail is something to be admired. :)

And I liked that tidbit about the lower details being omitted on screen in "Water". I guess they were just used to switching those off because the ship's so rarely seen from below.
    again great work tanj I'm a big fan of your ships specially the minerva class variation the hesperides I use the idea of that ship for an rpg campaign but the ship is named perseus my modeling computer got fried and never had a chance to put my ships' name on your downloadable model you have but I enjoy the model still everytime you upgrade the models you really go for the detail and its wonderful work it even matches zoics' original mesh done for the series outstanding friend
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Seriously, very nice. I'm curious as to your method for texturing it since its so high poly, if you don't mind sharing.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    Those pics are simple awesome, your model must be the closest ever made to the one made for the serie itself... I just hope I will not ruin the keyboard if I drool after seeing those pics again :D .
    Excellent work Tan.J :thumb:.
    Thanks somacruz145, Pearse, aylaa12, Syklon and Chiletrek :)

Though I tried to upload an archive file of Ouroboros v2 yesterday and today, all attempts failed. A file whose size is larger than 25MB or so seems to be impossible to upload yet. I guess this problem is caused by the site update and would be solved...
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding work on your Ouroboros v2, it really is a beautifull ship:thumb:
  • hey, these are outstanding! are you thinking of doing any other renders of other ships when you're done with this one?
  • nova1701dmsnova1701dms331 Posts: 0Member
    You did a wonderful job with her! :)
    Thanks Ice-Dragon, CylonMissleNuke and nova1701dms :)

@CylonMissleNuke and
    @aylaa12
    hey, these are outstanding! are you thinking of doing any other renders of other ships when you're done with this one?
    aylaa12 wrote: »
    ... I'm a big fan of your ships specially the minerva class variation the hesperides I use the idea of that ship for an rpg campaign but the ship is named perseus my modeling computer got fried and never had a chance to put my ships' name on your downloadable model...

I'm going to adjust looks of Hyades and Hesperides to that of new Ouroboros, before making a scene that includes new Ouroboros and these vessels. Current status of Hesperides is shown below.

hesperide_wib01b.jpg
    hesperide_wib01a.jpg

The chances are that they will be released as Hyades v2.1 and/or Hesperides v2.0 :D

And...

hesperides_v2_wip03.jpg

Unfortunately I had no time for modeling this week because of busyness, there were a lot of time for rendering instead.
    An animation scene, which was made for an animation "Zero hour" and had not been lost by a HD crash, was rendered. In this scene, a female viper pilot is hit by flame passing through a deck of battlestar. They are raw images yet, so some effects should be applied before making a movie file.

fireball_wip02.jpg
    wow tanj this is truly great modeling at is best the perseus thats really wicked jajajaja she's beautiful the new face lift really gives the ship a very realistic look you have no idea how greatful I am for this special touch to one of your loyal fans
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Like I said before way over the top this time! Great work tan.j .
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work tan.j:thumb:

Will you be upgrading all your ships?
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Sweet Jesus!
    How can you improve what is already perfect?
    Excellent work Tan.j. :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    good facial expression. she looks scared for real ;)

the render could take an AO pass.
    for outside space shots, it's not really necessary, but for interiors, it is.
  • wow, that's real neat.

if you don't mind, i have two requests:

one for a fully armored galactica,
    and once your done, the new retconned cylon basestar (the one with the visible missle launchers).

as a bonus, a battle scene, where the mighty warships slug it out would be SWEET!:flippy:

thanks!
    Thanks aylaa12, uscmBSG75, Ice-Dragon, Starship, L2K and CylonMissleNuke :)

I intend to update Hyades and Hesperides, and update work would begin in April (I would be busier in February and March, because FY in Japan is from April to March :D). My Pacifica, which is a heavily armored Galactica-type battlestar like Columbia in "Razor", would be updated at the same time. While Skinfaxi and Sleipnir had been fixed already as Ouroboros, I do not know whether I would be able to update Pleiades and Andromeda.
    As for cylon basestar, I have a non-canonical design plan but its modeling is not scheduled.

I updated a rig for engine exhausts, and tested. It has not been fixed yet, I was fairly satisfied by test results :).

ouroboros_wip79.jpg

Images from a test movie that is attached...
    ouroboros_wip78.jpg
    L2K wrote: »
    good facial expression. she looks scared for real ;)
    the render could take an AO pass.
    for outside space shots, it's not really necessary, but for interiors, it is.

Oh, I had completely forgotten effects of occlusion!! I restarted rendering with AO today...

fireball_wip03.jpg
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    I think the exhaust is right on however on the pods going in that needs to be slowed way down.... as for the jump sequence its self i think its a great start but the over all effect kinda reminds me of an ST ship going to warp.... i think to give it more of a BSG feel just needs to look less like the ship is moving forward.

Overall amazing work :D
    fluxfire wrote: »
    I think the exhaust is right on however on the pods going in that needs to be slowed way down.... as for the jump sequence its self i think its a great start but the over all effect kinda reminds me of an ST ship going to warp.... i think to give it more of a BSG feel just needs to look less like the ship is moving forward.

Overall amazing work :D

Thanks fluxfire :)

Unfortunately I've not watched ST except some episode of the first TV series aired more than 20 years ago. I remember that Enterprise accelerated stepwise when it goes to warp. If my memory is proper, I quite agree with your comment ;)

An attached movie shows rendered results of the same sequence, but a camera position is different. In this scene, a jump point (I do not know what it is called generally...) is placed near the tip of the vessel, and the vessel size reduces and vanishes at the point when it jumps. Thus, the vessel motion might be quite similar to that of ST ships going into warp, when the camera is placed behind the vessel. Though the jump point was placed mostly near the gravitational center of the vessel in the show, I placed it near the tip in this time because I thought that it was suitable for expressing feeling of "Jump".
    The location of the jump point is defined by a null object, it is easy to change it.

btw, the movement speed of flight pods in the previous movie was around 1200 times faster than that of my original setting in order to reduce total duration time required for rendering (duration time of pod retraction 60sec => 0.05sec) :D

ouroboros_wip81.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very Cool work there there tan.j.:thumb:
    great work tanj
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    I think the jump point is in the center of the ship. Watch the escape from New Caprica and Galactica jumping out of the atmo for examples. There also seems to be red and blue lighting effects (red and blue-shifting maybe?).

I can grab you screens if you'd like.

-Stefan-
    Thanks uscmBSG75, aylaa12, Sastrei and CylonMissleNuke :)

@Sastrei
    I checked Ep.#304 "Exodus part 2" today, then updated my chart for FTL jump animations. I guess that the last figure might correspond to the scene you mentioned ;) As you know, FTL jump expression are inconsistent even in the same episode.

@CylonMissleNuke
    I did not check the second movie... I've not watched season 4 yet :p

jump_chart01.jpg
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    Haha, that chart is awesome!

-Stefan-