Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnimation - BSG / Zero hour

• RyconRycon0 Posts: 0Member
    i still can't get over the viper
  • GargoyleGargoyle171 Posts: 0Member
    Mhh, am I doing something wrong? Everytime I try to download the animation to watch it, my browsers (IE and Firefox) tell me the file does not exist? Does it only work on certain hours the day?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    cool.
    i think your pilot could have larger shoulders.
    also the llaunch tube looks a bit too big. its a bit empty

cockpit is awsome

edit : oops double post someone trash this one plz ;)
    cool.
    i think your pilot could have larger shoulders.
    also the llaunch tube looks a bit too big. its a bit empty

cockpit is awsome
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    Thunks guys!

@L2K
    I also guess that this launch tube could be larger than that in the show. I modeled it once based on a wingspan of Viper Mk.II shown in the mini-series DVD, but I found that it was narrow for Mk.VII that had a wider wingspan. So, the launch tube in the image was enlarged to around 130% :) ...And the pilot mesh had a model in real world, except its face ;)

@Gargoyle
    I do not know why but some reported the same problem to me (A few of them may be resolved by updating C++ runtime library on PCs to handle correctly transfered data including 2-byte characters/Japanese characters). Please visit Foundation3D.com and check other links in the thread, Movie & TV Related - Animation WIP - BSG / Zero hour - Foundation 3D Forums, they should work well ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    What role is that 2-cockpit version of the Mk7 viper going to play?
    And the pilot mesh had a model in real world, except its face
    ---

ok, but the pilot wears a flightsuit and not a thin tee shirt.
    what you mean by model in the real world ?
    you scanned someone ?
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    that is really cool.
    Thanks Lonewriter.

@L2K
    > ok, but the pilot wears a flightsuit and not a thin tee shirt.
    > what you mean by model in the real world ?
    > you scanned someone ?

About 4 years before, a body model was made based on ortho-like pictures (front, back, side) of a woman who was about 1.6m tall, narrow-shouldered and thin. I traced her outlines in the pictures, then used these outline drawings for background images of LW Modeler. I assumed a thickness of the pilot suit was 0.005m, and I wanted that the helmet seemed to be too big to her :)
    Current pilot model was made only for long- and middele-shots, so I do not have a plan to update it :D

@Spectre_08
    >What role is that 2-cockpit version of the Mk7 viper going to play?

I assumed that 2-seater Viper played nearly the same roles as Raptor Mk.I;
    Command and Control (CC), Electronic Counter Measures (ECM), Early Warning and Surveillance.
    Though they have no FTL drives, a cost for their development and maintenance can be quite lower than those for new Raptor (Mk.II?), IMO :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The Viper variant is really cool - the dish makes it unique but doesn't hinder the design. The pilot, however, seems a bit too thin actually :) Maybe you could give some extra 5% of thickness to the arms because right now she seems thinner than Kate Moss (well most of the models are thin but she's the only one I remember :p)
    ah, ok ! the idea is to make look her too small for a viper. well, youre sucessful :)

is the 2seat viper longer than the regular one ?
  • GargoyleGargoyle171 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you! Very cool animation! The explosions look great. The only thing that would need improvement imho ist the camera dynamics - they still feel a little static and "artificial" in contrast to "handheld".
    @somacruz145
    > ...she seems thinner than Kate Moss.
    Yep, I agree :D. btw, new pilot models that are edited currently are based on "Helo" and "Racetrack".

@L2K
    > is the 2seat viper longer than the regular one ?
    A current 2-seater variant is around 0.7m longer than the original, but a rear seat for ECO(Electronic Countermeasures Officer) seems to be too narrow :D.

@Gargoyle
    > The only thing that would need improvement imho ist the camera dynamics
    > - they still feel a little static and "artificial" in contrast to "handheld".
    I would not like to simulate camera dynamics in the show, so more "static" camera dynamics than those in the show were intentional ;). Of course, if necessary, "handheld" touches would be added based on my experience of video and film camera shootings.

================================================

Though renderings of some other cuts are in progress, the recent test movie for viper launch sequences is here (Xvid codec AVI, 8.1MB).
    hey! great job, the render of the viper is really good! the launch tube animation is awesome! I can't wait to see more!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Ahh I can't download the animation on the computer I'm using right now ... the screencaps look great though ! I can't wait to get on my laptop and see the movie :D
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Same here, can't download the video (my computer would probably just die), but the screenshots look fantastic! :)
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    I was able to see the video, it is awesome, I specially like that the Viper was launched from the up-armored Battlestar Pacifica, and the Pilot does indeed move!, which add a plus to the animation.
    Great job! :thumb:
    Thanks nilianth, somacruz145, Pearse and Chiletrek!

I began tests for dogfight scenes in parallel :)

btw, this download issue is a trouble to me too.. :( I believe you can download the same animation from Foundation3D.com (please refer to post#36 of this thread...)
  • ElffinElffin171 Posts: 0Member
    Love your work so far - and the last screen shots look cool.

How long did it take you setup and render the last video?
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work like always buddy love the viper renders specially the two seater maybe you can use that base to create the strike version seen here a while ago as part of the behond the redline game I'm quite certain it would look perfect with your unique touch
  • RedSquareRedSquare0 Posts: 0Member
    Well the good news is that I had no problem downloading the viper launch xvid from your original post.

The bad news is... how very strange, its back to front vv the credits read backwards and upside down. I guess the video is upside down as well, the top of the pilots helmet is pointing downwards as you view it; if there is such a thing in space. :D Still, it's still a great animation.

Stranger, as I'm late to this thread, I downloaded the second of the first two .avi's. That was upside down and back to front. Hmm! I shall redownload on my main computer and see what's up. Can't do at the moment as I'm processing a video myself. Must be something wrong my end and yes, I have the latest Xvid codex, although not too sure about this machine. Oh! Ah! about the first animation clip - brilliant, superb etc. :thumb:

Sometime later: Well how very interesting. I downloaded Quicktimealternative & installed. Then I replayed both the above clips. My god, how good are they! First class Tanj.

Don't ask, I have no idea.
    Thanks Elffin, aylaa12 and RedSquare.

@Elffin
    I used 3 scenes for the movie, and it took about 5 hours in total to make them.
    While it took around 48 hours to finish renderings of all frames(about 400 frames, Intel Core2 Quad 2.66MHz, 4 thread / 640x360 px / AA x5 / raytracing of reflection, refraction and shadows were on / Motion blur x3) but used frames for the movie were 1/2 of them.
    Half or more of rendering time seemed to be spent for reflection and refraction calculations. Rendering time was reduced to 1/3 or less, when their options were turned off. :)

@aylaa12
    I once guessed that a 2 seater variant, which had 3 cannons and thicker nozzles for higher power engines, was not bad for a strike version.
    Do you have any idea? ;)

@RedSquare
    Umm, very interesting... btw, some Quicktime movies are always played upside-down on my PC :lol:
    i really like animation sequance...
    especially the meterials...
    but i guess it still need some good camera animations :)
    btw
    can u give me meterial info about how u made it?
    your initial concept is great but the larger nozzles will take away a lot of the streamlined look of the craft making it look a little bulky you can lower the height of the center wing a little and add two hard points per wing to add a variety of weapons like the assault raptor seen in the series
    @sislisokak and aylaa12
    sorry for the delay in my response, unfortunately current economic recession and recent radical changes in my life completely took time for my hobbies away from me.

Today, I decided to cancel this project reluctantly because that there is not possibility to get time for this project for a while. In addition, some key data were lost by the hard disk trouble today :(

btw, this decision has nothing to do with the end of BSG in the US, I'm waiting for release of season 3 DVDs in Japan.

Thanks all.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I hope you'll change your mind, or get some more free time at some point in the future. This was looking really exciting.
    Thanks Pearse

Anyway, other BSG related projects of mine are still underway. Images show current status of my GALACTICA type BS's mesh, and I hope it would be released as Ouroboros V2.0 in the future.

gtype_v20beta_01.jpg
    gtype_v20beta_03.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    :eek: that's great work on the GALACTICA:thumb:
    Thanks Ice-Dragon,
    I updated it a little today...:)

ouroboros_wip01.jpg
    Wow