Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalling all Stargate Fans!

freekzillafreekzilla2 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I'm putting out a call to arms to all Stargate fans. From the casual to the "frothing-at-the-mouth" fanatic, let's make the biggest Stargate ship thread around. Let's put all the ship designs you have up, everything from a basic roughed out design all the way up to textured and shaded. I know finished renders usually go to the gallery, but when is a diesogn truly "done"? I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and changed things and re-rendered them. I've done this too many times to count. So put'em up!

So here's what I'm looking for:
('1.) Earth based ships
('2.) Experimental Goa'uld ships (They may be in hiding right now, but they are not sitting back doing nothing. They have a gallaxy to re-conquer.)

A.) The earth ships should be from around the current timeline, plus or minus 5 years.

B.) Not all ships will be big like the Daedalus. The navy isn't all battleships and carriers you know.

c.) Keep the technology consistant. You wouldn't expect Asgard weapons on an Earth ship. Instead of revolutionary technologies, try to keep the tech evolutionary. (ie: larger sized rail guns, smaller faster missles etc.)

d.) The SGC surely has some Goa'uld weapons on hand in VERY limited amounts. Some of it has to make it onto a ship eventually. Remember, it would be in limited quantities, so you wouldn't see a Daedalus class ship fitted with 30 staff cannons. But you might find a small destroyer type ship with a mix of Earth and Goa'uld weapons.

e.) The SGC probably wouldn't use Ancients' weapons either. Too little is known about them. So far, very few Ancient weapons have been found.

So what have you got in mind? What class of ship do YOU think the SGC should have?

('1.) Missle Cruiser
('2.) Cargo transport
('3.) Assault Cruiser
('4.) Covert attack destroyer
('5.) dedicated fleet carrier
('6.) armed troop transport
('7.) science and research vessel

These are just some ideas. Let's see how creative you can be. If you build it, they will come. :thumb:
Post edited by freekzilla on

• Legolas25Legolas250 Posts: 0Member
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll prolly contribute something later on.

M only crit is for number C though. I agree that technology should be kept current, but in light of the Ori threat, I'd imagine the Asgard would provide Earth with some limited weapons. They gave them to Earth when the Gao'uld were a threat and took them away once they were defeated. Now that there's a newer, bigger bad guy, I'm sure they'll supply some again, at least until they defeat the Ori.
  • freekzillafreekzilla2 Posts: 0Member
    Legolas25 wrote:
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll prolly contribute something later on.

M only crit is for number C though. I agree that technology should be kept current, but in light of the Ori threat, I'd imagine the Asgard would provide Earth with some limited weapons. They gave them to Earth when the Gao'uld were a threat and took them away once they were defeated. Now that there's a newer, bigger bad guy, I'm sure they'll supply some again, at least until they defeat the Ori.

Legolas, no doubt about that. You are certainly right. What I'm tryin to avoid is going from the Daedalus to the Death Star in one shot. We might get Asgard weapons, but the ship wouldn't necessarily be designed around that weapon only. Besides, between Carter and McKay, and IMO, Zelenka, they'd come up with an even more advanced earth weapon system. Sam did come up with the modulator chip for the TER to combat the Kull Warriors, with some help from Jacob/Selmak of course.

I just want to spur creative ship designs that have different characteristics. You have a good point though. It is yet to be seen if that happens though. The Asgard have been conspicuosly absent lately. I personally think Thor has a crush on Sam and has locked himself away to avoid the awkward moments.:lol: Maybe that's why Kvasir is so sarcastic to Sam. Hmmm, makes you think doesn't it?
    This is a rough finish of a new class ship, the Diligent. It is a Courier ship. Very very fast. no weapons installed yet, but has standard shields. Meant to traverse the distance between Earth and Atlantis more rapidly and with less wear and tear on the Daedalus.

Not sure I like the rounded shape though. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
  • General_ZodGeneral_Zod0 Posts: 0Member
    Wrong section. The last time I checked the air force is in charge of the SGC.
    Wrong section. The last time I checked the air force is in charge of the SGC.

That they are. The Navy does however participate in SGC operations. There are several naval officers on the military counsel that oversees the SGC. The Daedalus also brought Marines to the Pegasus gallaxy during the seige of Atlantis. AND, if you look closely, a few naval crewmen were aboard the Prometheus. You can't tell from the uniform, you have to look at the other insignia. And lastly, the Daedalus is considered a Battle Cruiser as Col. Caldwell stated several times. I'll try to find what episodes show this.

Besides, how would you classify the ships? They don't exacly fit conventional classifications.
  • RedeyesRedeyes334 Posts: 21Member
    freekzilla wrote:
    This is a rough finish of a new class ship, the Diligent. It is a Courier ship. Very very fast. no weapons installed yet, but has standard shields. Meant to traverse the distance between Earth and Atlantis more rapidly and with less wear and tear on the Daedalus.

Looks good, but kind of like a sarcophagus ship. Don't know if that was intentional though.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    freekzilla wrote:

Looks very much like the diligent from the Wing commander movie...nice job..
  • Northern_MindNorthern_Mind173 Posts: 0Member
    I've been wondering about making a SGC cargo carrier, maybe i'll just do that :P
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    The Ori ships are 20-30x the size of the Earth shisp, perhaps that should be the maximum size, especially if Earth is going to make a Ori-killer type ship.

And the Orion is about 4 times the size of the Daedalus too. Daedalus should not be considered the "maximum" size for earth ships.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Has anyone thought about doing a render at scale for all the SG ships for size comparision? It would be really helpful when doing a scene setup:)
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    Mikala, that would be a great idea. There is a thread over at gateworld.net about ship sprites, and someone there drew up some plans for all the SG1 and SGA ships.
    Looks very much like the diligent from the Wing commander movie...nice job..

DING DING DING!! You are right! I was indeed influenced by watching that movie. I liked the way the ship looked so I built my own interpretation of it. It just doesn't quite look right to me though. Too flat. Suggestions?

Here's an alternate version of it. The orange boxes on the back are cargo containers.
    Cool got a link?
  • farcryfarcry0 Posts: 0Member
    In my opinion the SGC shouldnt have any spaceships at all. I thought SG-1 started going downhill once Stargate became Star Trek :rolleyes:
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    you can add some hieght to it by indenting the outer enedge of the"scaucer"
    and adding sensor pallettes and other greebles.. kinda like the side of a star destroyer...as far as making it less flat i think your on the right track with the cargo pods..you could add fuel pods or other like items...Its lookin good, :thumb:
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    freekzilla wrote:
    .... Too flat. Suggestions?

Could use some more surface detail on the round sections, maybe some actual pannels or something. And possibly a brighter render. Just my 2c
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    The thread is pretty long, but in the first page/first post, you can see a huge roughdraft of the ships and their size.

Here is the link
    gateworld ship scaling thread

There is an argument going on about accuracy, but I think the scaling is close enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    farcry wrote:
    In my opinion the SGC shouldnt have any spaceships at all. I thought SG-1 started going downhill once Stargate became Star Trek :rolleyes:

Same here. Back to the roots i say. 1 Stargate: 1 team. and starships that are distant and not seen. :D and the O'Neill one liners of course :flippy:

Nice ship and idea :thumb: Vilandra
  • DanDan0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's my ship that I have on another thread. It's called the Icarus.
    Nadesico wrote:
    The Ori ships are 20-30x the size of the Earth shisp, perhaps that should be the maximum size, especially if Earth is going to make a Ori-killer type ship.

And the Orion is about 4 times the size of the Daedalus too. Daedalus should not be considered the "maximum" size for earth ships.

not exactly. if the ori ships where that large, they wouldn't fit through the super gates and would be even bigger then wraith hive ships. reports tell, that the Ori supergate is between 300 and 400 meter in diameter. according to that and the Ori ships barely fitting through them, they are about 300 to 400 (-5m) wide and about 700 meters long.
    The Daedalus is 335 meters long, 192m wide and 68 meters high. The Aurora data isn't official, but about 500 meters long and 220 meter wide.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    apparently the two supergates were different sizes, and we saw in the battle in "camelot" that an O'neill class asgard ship was little more then a fighter, in comparison to one of their cruisers.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I made this Asgard Shuttle design a few years back. It's pretty simplistic, but I might get around to developing it some time.
    Nadesico wrote:
    apparently the two supergates were different sizes, and we saw in the battle in "camelot" that an O'neill class asgard ship was little more then a fighter, in comparison to one of their cruisers.

that camelot can't be taken for size comparison hasn't been said only once, so don't brace yourself on that.
    yes camelot cant be used for size comparisons. they scaled the hataks and oniell down to make the ori ships look bigger and more menacing. they really f#$%*d it up in that episode
    Dan wrote:
    Here's my ship that I have on another thread. It's called the Icarus.
    Great Job Dan! It looks pretty darn good. So how would you classify the Icarus? Looks like a big ship. I definitely see some old school Battlestar Galactica in the front. Keep up the good work!!!
    Pearse wrote:
    I made this Asgard Shuttle design a few years back. It's pretty simplistic, but I might get around to developing it some time.

Pearse, lookin good so far. I see some Beliskner in it for sure. Are the deck heights lower too, giving how small the ship would be? And one last thing, where are the bathrooms? They never show the bathrooms on ships! But then again, do the Asgard even need bathrooms? LOL!
    Heres one of mine
    the Renown
    One fine ship ya got there Raffs!
    You have got to get it in a bunch more renders!
    She should not sit in drydock so much of the time.
    mikala wrote:
    One fine ship ya got there Raffs!
    You have got to get it in a bunch more renders!
    She should not sit in drydock so much of the time.
    I'm thinking of putting her in for a refit
    Dallidas wrote:
    yes camelot cant be used for size comparisons. they scaled the hataks and oniell down to make the ori ships look bigger and more menacing. they really f#$%*d it up in that episode

Actually, the Asgard ship present at the second Ori supergate was NOT an O'Neill class. It was actually an Asgard science vessel. Here's the evidence:

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/920.shtml

Apparently, the Asgard are updating their ships. First it was the O'Neill class, then the Daniel Jackson class. So it's not a stretch that the Science vessels would be upgraded as well. Possibly the D-J class was the new science ship. This could explain why the Asgard haven't been around lately.

I thought that the Asgard ship looked a bit small too, until I read through several articles. Then it all started to make sense. I've seen it stated as such from several other places as well. I visually counted the segements of the second Ori supergate and came up with 92. The orignial Ori supergate had 80 segments.

Just my 2 cetns.
This discussion has been closed.