Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Trek ship imaginings

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited August 2020 #182
    Wobbly stripes? Oh the diagonal orange ones on the right, seen in front of the shuttle. Those go back quite a few renders.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Wobbly stripes? Oh the diagonal orange ones on the right, seen in front of the shuttle. Those go back quite a few renders.

Noooooooo!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm sure the crew painting that wall had knocked back a few synthahols. ;)

It definitely looks great.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    nice and a fun game of spot the wobbly lines.... took me a little while :) you should leave it and put it down to subspace turbulence ..... yea definetly subspace turbulence... definetly not romulan ale.....
    markmassey wrote: »
    nice and a fun game of spot the wobbly lines.... took me a little while :)
    Me too. Kind of like "Where's Waldo?"

Worked on a couple other places too...

hydroponics3.jpg
    conference1.jpg
    RekkertFreakBrandenberglewisnivenLizzy777
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Your son’s LEGO shuttle is epic.
  • CmdBremmonCmdBremmon2 Posts: 1Member
    Wow I am in love with this starship design. Love all things movie era, amazed you are able to fuse the beauty and interesting design elements/icons of the movie era with the ring ship design so well.
    This ship design strikes a cord with me as a couple months ago I was asked to write a paper on how we could build a real starship today and I wrote this paper, "Combined Pulsed Deuterium Fusion And Axion Ramjets for Manned Deep Space Missions" (Link https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a22de904-ce2e-4cd1-b81c-b7c6d2e6a5a1) and the ship looks similar to what I had pictured in my head (the nav deflector instead being a hole through the ship), the impulse engines replaced with an Orion pusher plate and probably a larger ring with crew habitats that can rotate (the ship spins when not thrusting at the destination) to provide artificial gravity.
    The concept is that the starship would start the mission as a pulsed orion that uses magnetic fields (generated probably by a ring of spinning electrons) to pull pre-positioned pre-accelerated fusion devices through the ship where they are detonated behind the craft that it doesn't need any propellant on board. When >0.2c the devices would have to be staged.
    At > 0.5c you are speeding through enough of the leading candidate for dark matter, the axion, that your ramjet would switch to axion ramjet mode for propulsion and you are off. Using fusion devices in contained water filled spheres to generate power you could then propel yourself at 1g to get anywhere in the galaxy (and possibly the known universe) within a lifetime due to relativistic effects. When you get close you switch to Bussard Ramjet mode to slow down (and refuel with deuterium to make more fusion explosives). That was my best bet using today's technology to enable interstellar flight and your image inspires me to keep pushing that design.
    japetusBrandenberg
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    She's beautiful and at the scale looks perfect now!
    edited August 2020 #191
    srspicer wrote: »
    She's beautiful and at the scale looks perfect now!
    Agreed

@CmdBremmon : That's quite a first post on this forum. I think we'd all like to see you succeed.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    edited August 2020 #192
    I couldn't resist, so I decided to do a quick video of the Arges going to warp...never done a warp shot before so I'm sure there's definately room for improvement.
    Post edited by japetus on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergZhor2395
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    oooh that's nice. I'd be tempted to leave the 'back' a bit longer before it snaps forward, so you get a longer warp trail effectively. Looks awesome though!
    JasonAdank
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I'd also give the audience a few seconds to appreciate the ship before it disappears.
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    that little meeting room looks perfect, especially if the norm is not this close. Those little figures give a great sense for scale, maybe toss the monster maroon colors on them to get them to fit in for more than just scaling. Your shuttle bay looks really good too btw, Im loving it. Great design work Japetus!
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
    edited August 2020 #196
    Thanks guys, and yeah usually I imagine the shuttlebay would be closed before warp and this is gonna be, I think, the end of a flyby shot so you can see it in all it's glory... :-D A question I had for those who have done shots like this before, right now I'm doing *most* of it in 3D, with animating the motion blur length and pulling the camera away really fast, but I imagine it could just as easily hold on the last frame and directional blur off somewhere. I dunno if people have had better luck certain ways...
    Thanks to some tips from Lewisniven's amazing Galaxy class model here, I finally decided to start making some baked interiors. Although you technically never really see windows in the hallways, it was fun to make. I'll make some quarters, couple labs, etc as well. Still not sure if I'm gonna cut in the windows or just opacity map them...I always hate blowing up my mesh like that!
    tmf0wt5f5fo7.png
    lewisnivenLizzy777evil_genius_180Brandenberg
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Thanks guys, and yeah usually I imagine the shuttlebay would be closed before warp and this is gonna be, I think, the end of a flyby shot so you can see it in all it's glory... :-D A question I had for those who have done shots like this before, right now I'm doing *most* of it in 3D, with animating the motion blur length and pulling the camera away really fast, but I imagine it could just as easily hold on the last frame and directional blur off somewhere. I dunno if people have had better luck certain ways...

I dont know what program youre in (I use Maya), but if I was going for the TNG stretch/jump effect, Id use a lattice and animate the control points. In max, the same effect is the FFD modifier. Grab the front control points and animate them stretching out into the distance and then a few frames later, grab the rear points and animate them 'snapping" forward into the distance. Essentially youre animating scale, but this way you can stretch the front and then stretch the rear to catch up.

Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
    I'm using 3ds Max, I don't think using a FFD will work with all the hundreds of objects, but i can definately do something similar, could even do a puppet warp probably in AE.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    You can add a FFD modifier to several objects at the same time.
    edited August 2020 #201
    Viper wrote: »
    You can add a FFD modifier to several objects at the same time.

Well, yes I know that. Just that I had over 900 objects that I would have had to apply an FFD to, but looks like my new computer was able to handle it...rendering now, should be an intresting effect! Here are a few more interiors I did, I might need one more, like a lounge and/or larger crew quarters. These are pretty fun to make!

Edit to my edit: Ah thankfully it was user error, had my lights hidden when I applied FFD...so now vray lights are getting warp with the geo.
    more%20interiors.png

evil_genius_180MadKoiFishlewisnivenwolfmanBrandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Your interiors look great, as does your warp effect.
    Your warp video is super cool. I wish I knew how to do that.
    Love the rooms too.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    really cool jump2warp video!
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    i feel like that video was just to tease us ;) cheeky...

Are you planning on going full motion picture with the warp effect?? I think she deserves it..
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    The video is very cool, but even slowed down to half speed it's hard to make out much of it. It definitely needs to be slowed down at the start, only getting up to the full (current) speed in the last milliseconds before the flash. The whole effect should really be close to two seconds, IMO, plus at least a couple of seconds of normal motion and increasing engine glow before it starts to take off. Personally, I'd also add a bit of camera tracking and have the camera fail to keep up in the last quarter second but keep panning a half second after the flash (that would then fade into the next scene in an actual full movie).
    Messed with the warp effect a bit a bit more...

ashleytingerBrandenbergseanrLizzy777srspicer
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Gorgeous! I love it!
    edited August 2020 #209
    Dunno what's going on with the stars at the end...that's what happens when you try to do 5 things at once....
    Hit that out of the park!
  • seanrseanr1123 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 602Member
    That is MUCH better. Excellent work. Only thing I can think to tweak would be to have that streak-to-flash part accelerate as the ship move away. I'm thinking something like exponential easing (or one of the other similar options as in this Blender screenshot: https://i.stack.imgur.com/grUVX.png).