Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
edited February 2021 in Work in Progress #1
I have a lot of concurrent projects apart from the Constitution which I've been posting on Discord. But thought I'd start posting here as well to document everything. I have a few to go through, so tons of images incoming. Also, they are all in initial states of development, so nothing set in stone. I'll post the images starting in the second post to keep this free for the thumbnail.

galileo031.jpg
Post edited by Viper on
Redeyes
Tagged:

• ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
    First off, the TMP Akira I showed in the Connie thread. I say TMP, but it's supposed to be a slightly pre Excelsior ship that stays in service well into the Ambassador years. In keeping with the theme for Akira variants, I'm calling it the Kusanagi Class. Go figure it out :tongue:

tmp_akira58.jpg
    tmp_akira55.jpg
    tmp_akira56.jpg
    tmp_akira57.jpg

The black areas are just a blockout for possible features. The big one below is supposed to be the Shuttle Bay.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenbergwibble
    Second one is the cargo ship. I haven't done much work on it yet apart from just working on the general layout. The idea is to be able to chain cargo sections in the back as required. But the ship will always have its own. Maybe. I might still change this. Obviously inspired by the Constellation in a few areas, so I did a thicker saucer for it. Might have a cargo hangar at the front.

tmp_cargo11.jpg
    tmp_cargo09.jpg
    tmp_cargo10.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenberg
    Finally, a few quick ones. First a supply station. Supposed to be Regula sized, but strictly for deep space re supply of ships.
    supply_station02.jpg

Also started a workbee, but I can't seem to find the file that produced this image. Might have to start over:
    guh03dq67jmw.jpg

And finally, I'll leave a couple of images that should be self explanatory:
    excelsior09.jpg
    excelsior10.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenbergwibble
    I've been doing some work on a couple of projects. For the Kusanagi, I decided to give a Excelsior style top a try and I kinda like it, so I'm going with this for now:
    tmp_akira61.jpg
    tmp_akira62.jpg

And I also did some work on the Excelsior:
    excelsior11.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777MadKoiFishevil_genius_180Brandenbergwibble
    Bit more of the Excelsior. Annoyed at sizes of things. Bridge should be a lot bigger in order for the details to make sense. Anyway:

excelsior12.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Brandenberg
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Some cool designs here. Nice!
    Well, after a break and then just being busy with a lot of work, I finally started to work on my projects again this past week. I did quite a bit of work on the overall shapes and also designed a new weapon pod based on the torpedo launcher section from the Constitution. I think it flows nicely with the rest of the ship.
    kusanagi01.jpg
    kusanagi03.jpg
    kusanagi04.jpg
    FreakLizzy777lewisnivenashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenbergwibble
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That refit Connie torpedo launcher really works well with this ship.
    Love it.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    The impulse engines would look better at the rear of the saucer (perhaps in the more detailed Miranda-class style).
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Good work Diogo!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those are some great looking ships. I really like that TMP-era Akira style ship.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I'm still really liking that TMP Akira. It just flows right and feels like a ship of the era.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Nice designs, looking forward to seeing more........ B)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I'm ashamed to say I kind of missed this thread. Really good work Viper. I'm glad I checked it out. Can't wait to see where you go with all this. I'm intrigued by the cargo ship. Star Trek worthy cargo ships are not common. You managed to make it look like a cargo ship with strong Trek bloodlines. Thumbs up and Thumbs up.
    @Freak Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out.

@ST-One I'm still thinking about that. My inclination is to not do it, but we'll see. Either way, the engines at the back of the catamarans will stay.

@Starship Cheers!

@evil_genius_180, @srspicer and @ashleytinger I'm glad you guys like it. The Akira is one of my favorite ships. I have done it in the past, and almost started a new one, but while working on the Enterprise I thought about the fact that we see very few TMP variants, so this idea was born. I will do an Akira at some point, but @lewisniven is doing a great job on his, I'll leave mine for another time.

@Brandenberg Thanks dude. The cargo ship is really in it's infancy. I think the design needs more refinement. But I like the overall concept a lot as well. I also want to do a hospital ship at some point, but I kinda want to step away from the Daedalus/Olympic type ships with the big sphere. And a carrier as well...I have way too many projects going on though :D

As for updates, I'm afraid I don't have any right now. I started to sketch the bridge properly and also did some sketches on how I want to detail the catamarans. I'll do a prototype later today.
    lewisniven
    Viper wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180, @srspicer and @ashleytinger I'm glad you guys like it. The Akira is one of my favorite ships. I have done it in the past, and almost started a new one, but while working on the Enterprise I thought about the fact that we see very few TMP variants, so this idea was born. I will do an Akira at some point, but @lewisniven is doing a great job on his, I'll leave mine for another time.

Yeah, there's just something about the Akira, it's a sweet design. I started a TMP style one several years ago, but I never got as far on it as you have and I know it didn't look as good as yours does. One of the days I'd really like to do the NX-01, due to its origins and similarity to the Akira. Plus, it's a sweet looking ship. :)
    Yeah, there's just something about the Akira, it's a sweet design. I started a TMP style one several years ago, but I never got as far on it as you have and I know it didn't look as good as yours does. One of the days I'd really like to do the NX-01, due to its origins and similarity to the Akira. Plus, it's a sweet looking ship. :)

I'm of two minds with the NX-01. I think it's an interesting design but it feels out of place in the era it was at. Maybe we need a TOS Akira as well :p

Small update, trying to figure out some panels for the catamarans. I'm not sold on the green panel. It would have similar styling to the green areas in the Constitution. Another idea is to style it like the Excelsior. I think I need to do a few more panels at the front and see how it all looks together before making a decision. The first image is a previous version. Just showing where it ends as its not clear in the second picture.
    kusanagi05.jpg
    kusanagi07.jpg
    ChlorelashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenbergwibble
    edited July 2019 #19
    Ooo.. tough call. Depends on when you want the TMP Akira to have launched. post 2270 or post 2285?

Aren't you using some Excelsior ideas already in the saucer? Might be good to keep that theme going.
    Post edited by ashleytinger on
    I like the green panel.
    But go with what works for you.
    I've been thinking, and that's largely a texturing issue. I think the panel layout works in both cases. I did one more at the front and I already have an idea for the very tip. Here are a couple more images:
    kusanagi09.jpg
    kusanagi09b.jpg
    evil_genius_180komaroLizzy777FreakBrandenbergwibble
    I think it looks good. :)
    ok, yeah that looks snazzy and fits with the reinforced looking keel on the Connie
    edited July 2019 #24

Have you stumbled onto Pierre Drolet's Sci-Fi Museum? https://www.pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/starship

Very useful closeups of NX-01 from the actual artist.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
    Did some more tests. Let me know what you guys think about this panel config and detailing. I think it works, but maybe it needs something else?
    kusanagi015.jpg
    kusanagi013.jpg
    kusanagi014.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180Brandenbergwibble
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    edited July 2019 #26
    I'm not quite sold on the simple grid lines just yet. Not without windows and other details to break up the uniformity. I'm looking at the Enterprise, Reliant, and Excelsior to see if there's anything from those three designs to see what I'd do for this ship, as well as the Akira and NX-01 Enterprise.

Here's an idea I had for your ship after a quick edit in photoshop. It's a small change, but I think it adds to the look.

PHGGP3x.jpg
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    BrandenbergMcCevil_genius_180
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    It does seem a little empty without the other details.

Have you though about taking the render into photoshop and drawing some idea out to see what work like MKF does?
    She's a fine ship. :)
    I like the look of the lines, but Lizzy777's idea adds just a tad more visual interest, without making it too detailed to be Star Trek.
    That was a good suggestion. I tried to incorporate it, but I keep changing the panel config to see what works. Anyway this, I think, works a lot better now and also did a first pass on windows:

kusanagi018.jpg
    kusanagi019.jpg
    ashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777evil_genius_180wibble
    Ooops, what happened to the bridge? The windows really add a lot. This may end up a nicer design than the original Akira. I went back and looked at early pictures of it in this thread and personally would consider reducing the size of the hull under the saucer. Only because it is looking really sleek here.