Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1661 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    I don't recall having ever seen it. There's always somethin new every day.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Didn't do much today, but I finished the torpedo launcher and changed the decals for the ship. Calling it the USS Stalker:
    saladin006.jpg
    saladin004.jpg
    saladin005.jpg
    Lizzy777BrandenbergashleytingerRekkertevil_genius_180lennier1McCwibble
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Cool!

The Jupp is an interesting ship. I always saw her as the large Tug. It the ship you sent out to recover a ship that is too far from a Starbase for a standard Tug to bring back.
    Wait, is that a plastic model or a mesh? The paint job is too complicated for a model but it sure has a real life quality to it.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like how you did that torpedo launcher on the Stalker. I'd wondered why you had altered the shape of the housing but, seeing the added rear launcher, it all makes sense now. :)
    edited July 2019 #97
    @Freak and @Brandenberg Thanks!

@evil_genius_180 Kinda stole the idea from the weapon pod on the Kusanagi. But I didn't want to mess up the rest of the lines so a single launcher made more sense.

I did a quick concept of how the pylon on the Akula will look like:

akula01.jpg
    akula02.jpg

It actually came out quite thick. I might do some windows there. I need to figure out what to do with the dome in the impulse engine. I'll either delete it and do some other detail, or I might do a cover on top of it.
    Post edited by Viper on
    MadKoiFishRekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777lennier1McCwibble
    Personally, I'd just do away with it and make the top of the housing flat.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Or maybe do a split impulse housing like on Excelsior? One on each side of the pylon?
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Nice work on the stalker!
    Not a fan of the pylon splitting the impulse crystal. Maybe connect the upper engine to the neck above the torpedo tube? That way you only have to separate the impulse engines a little more.
    Well, it has come to my attention that the Akula is actually a bit more complicated than what I'm doing. It's not just the pylon above, but the neck has to be replaced as well. What I did is actually called the Apollo class which is actually a bit silly. So I think I'll put that project on hold. I did start blocking the USS Jupp.

jupp01.jpg

@Rekkert, as a fan of the ship, let me know if I'm going too off track. I tried doing the pylon a bit wider to make the model more balanced. My initial inclination is to keep the pod I did for the Saladin, but maybe I should bring back the Constitution style launcher?
    RekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180wibble
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Nice! As far as I know the pylons were originally "borrowed" from a Voyager AMT model, rotated 180° so that the impulse engine exhaust were looking forward. Certainly it was never intended to be seen upclose, so it's your call on how "faithful" you want to be. Same thing with the neck, the Saladin one looks good! :)

latest?cb=20160510114419&path-prefix=en
    Lizzy777
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Nice! As far as I know the pylons were originally "borrowed" from a Voyager AMT model, rotated 180° so that the impulse engine exhaust were looking forward. Certainly it was never intended to be seen upclose, so it's your call on how "faithful" you want to be. Same thing with the neck, the Saladin one looks good! :)

latest?cb=20160510114419&path-prefix=en

Ah, I was wondering what that was. Wonder why they flipped it forward though? Might be cool to have the engines pointing backwards. Make the ship faster and more nimble than the Saladin. From that front view, I think mine is too wide. Will adjust. And I think I'll leave the current neck/pod. One less piece to model :D
    Nice work on the USS Jupp.
    With those impulse engines facing forward, it lean this ship more to my idea of it being a deep space tug. (needs that extra humph to mannover a ship into position for docking or pulling it back to a starbase / spacedock.
    The Jupp is looking good. I also like that you used your version of the torpedo launcher with the added rear launcher.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Viper wrote: »
    Well, it has come to my attention that the Akula is actually a bit more complicated than what I'm doing. It's not just the pylon above, but the neck has to be replaced as well. What I did is actually called the Apollo class which is actually a bit silly. So I think I'll put that project on hold. I did start blocking the USS Jupp.

akula01.jpg
    akula02.jpg

It actually came out quite thick. I might do some windows there. I need to figure out what to do with the dome in the impulse engine. I'll either delete it and do some other detail, or I might do a cover on top of it.

I´m a fan of the Akula class. Good to see you´re working on it too.
    About the impulse enegines, you could make it a bot more large and split the dome in two. In the empty space in the middle, where it connects to the upper pylon, you could place a small docking port, or a torpedo launcher. Just na idea. ;)

• StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I mean something like a combination of these two concepts
    Starship wrote: »
    I´m a fan of the Akula class. Good to see you´re working on it too.
    About the impulse enegines, you could make it a bit more large and split the dome in two. In the empty space in the middle, where it connects to the upper pylon, you could place a small docking port, or a torpedo launcher. Just na idea. ;)

I mean something like a combination of these two concepts:
    nnkw2zo6ko1h.jpg
    edited July 2019 #108
    In the internal drawings of 1701-A, the blue dome is actually the top end of the anitmatter core. It extends down numerous decks through the neck into the secondary hull. There is no obvious bottom opening for ejecting the core, so in theory it may go out the top should the need arise. If you mechanically stick to the idea of being able to eject the core, this design presents an interesting challenge. :) I love a challenge.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Yes, I don't think doing two domes will work. But I won't spend too much time solving these issues on these variants. Not worth it.
    Yeah, kitbashes can be fun, but some of them are more elaborate than it seems at first glance. And, what started out as a quick bash winds up feeling more like a full on WIP.
    Yup, that's why I'm leaving the Akula for another time, when I invariably need a break from something else. Was not on my plans having to build a new neck for it.
    evil_genius_180
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,322Member
    edited July 2019 #112
    Those voy impulse drives I doubt were intended to be reused in a ship 80yrs older with the same purpose. it is a bit of greeble to maybe be part of a deflector system or whatever else.

KIM impulse is not a thrust surface based propulsion system. The red glowy bits are just plasma exhaust.

The dome is part of the end of the A/M core. The fusion cores that are powered by the A/M plasma are under those hatches just behind the crystal.

Personally I wouldnt worry about that "crystal" it could very well be something that can be a internal system.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I'm sure MKF is right and those weren't intended to be impulse engines. The hybrid kitbashes were only intended to be seen from a distance, their shapes were done so as to look different from other ships. It's not supposed to be seen so that the parts can be identified. That's also why it has that crazy paint job. The only kitbash that was changed to being seen more closely was the Centaur.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Those voy impulse drives I doubt were intended to be reused in a ship 80yrs older with the same purpose. it is a bit of greeble to maybe be part of a deflector system or whatever else.

KIM impulse is not a thrust surface based propulsion system. The red glowy bits are just plasma exhaust.

The dome is part of the end of the A/M core. The fusion cores that are powered by the A/M plasma are under those hatches just behind the crystal.

Personally I wouldnt worry about that "crystal" it could very well be something that can be a internal system.
    I'm sure MKF is right and those weren't intended to be impulse engines. The hybrid kitbashes were only intended to be seen from a distance, their shapes were done so as to look different from other ships. It's not supposed to be seen so that the parts can be identified. That's also why it has that crazy paint job. The only kitbash that was changed to being seen more closely was the Centaur.

All good points. Nothing stopping me from having some extra impulse engines on the pylons though. I'll think about it. Another possibility is to have a small structure to represent a more robust tractor beam. Gives the ship a little bit more utility.

For now, I have some updates on the Kusanagi. Inspiration hit me last night about a couple of things. The first was the bridge section. While the old one works, I think this new one is much better. The shape is inspired by the same section on the Miranda class. It also helped make the control room better integrated.

kusanagi093.jpg
    kusanagi094.jpg

The other bit is the impulse engines. I keep getting comments that they are too large. So I came up with this housing. Makes it smaller and also gives better detailing. I'll fill the empty space between the black area and the main hull with spines, or grills, much like the torpedo launchers. And I'll also have some grills on the red glow to break it up a bit.
    kusanagi095.jpg
    Lizzy777Rekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakBrandenberglennier1McCwibble
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I liked the old bridge section but yeah, this one works a lot better, and now that I look at them side by side, looks somewhat more era-appropriate.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I liked the old bridge section but yeah, this one works a lot better, and now that I look at them side by side, looks somewhat more era-appropriate.

I think the old one was good as well, but this shape fits the rest of the ship better. Still some adjustments needed.

BTW, I was going to do the ship in a blue color scheme because I thought the green was clashing with the gold in the bridge. Turns out, it was clashing with the blue. I tried several shades of blue and nothing worked, so I just went back to the green and made the bridge bit green as well:

kusanagi096.jpg
    kusanagi097.jpg
    kusanagi098.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishFreakBrandenbergMcCwibble
    It's looking fantastic. I'm glad you're sticking with the green, I really like it.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    I really do like the green. She's coming along nicely.
    Stunning same here, would have been see the green go.
    Thanks guys. Did some more work on the impulse engines. Also still tweaking that shape from above. You can see the new windows on the bridge as well.
    kusanagi106.jpg
    kusanagi105.jpg
    kusanagi107.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerRekkertevil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergMcCMadKoiFishwibble
    I like how you did the impulse vents.