Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Trek ship imaginings

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited July 2020 #32
    By this is fun to experiment with isn't it.? Looks really great.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    You know it's funny how many trek ships dont seem to have a navigational deflector.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    japetus wrote: »
    You know it's funny how many trek ships dont seem to have a navigational deflector.

You're not supposed to notice that. ;)
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    That's why there's so many Starfleet vessels lost to causes unknown. :p
    japetus
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Well
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    @Freak ... now that you‘re saying it, I can see the Vulcan influence.

ship7.jpg

[]

This blue triangle is not a deflector?
    It is, do you have a question?
    More revisions...

kcnafwzusqwj.png

xrxreb22vvac.png
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180rojrenBrandenbergRekkert
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I like it. Very cool and interesting.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I think it's looking really nice mate... Less is definitely more with this design..
    That lower hull, deflector, and all of that is looking really nice.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2016 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I love that this is a totally different take on a Starfleet ship, but even without the pennants you could identify it as a Starfleet ship. Really nice work.
    edited July 2020 #43
    Great work. It's a keeper. I'm really liking the effect you got on the glow of the riing.
    She's looking good. The only thing I see is the saucer rim windows look a little large compared to the ones on the engineering section.
    She's looking good. The only thing I see is the saucer rim windows look a little large compared to the ones on the engineering section.

Yeah, planning to double check that and add another row maybe, saucer/ bridge will have some more detail
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2020 #46
    I think you nailed it now, the deflector in its new housing looks much more organic to the design. And I like how you changed the torpedo tubes and lower keel area as well.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Can't decide...notched saucer or clean?
    saucer_notched.jpg

saucer_round.jpg
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Dunno if anyone else knows this trick, but it's nice way to get windows or holes or other things into a a model fast if you're not gonna get super close or at a glancing angle:
    Extrude a window shape and flip the "window rim" normals so they are facing in, make it all one sided material, turn off cast shadows, and when you render it'll look like a recessed window and you dont have to cut geometry a bunch.

window2.png
    window1.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2016 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I like the notch.
    I prefer the notch as well.
    That's a cool little trick with the windows, but if you're taking the trouble of extruding them already instead of using a normal map, then why not just extrude them in normally?
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I prefer the notch as well.
    That's a cool little trick with the windows, but if you're taking the trouble of extruding them already instead of using a normal map, then why not just extrude them in normally?

Well since they are instances, i only extrude 1 window, then duplicate it around as needed and i don't have to boolean or cut up the mesh. when I go to texture this I may indeed do a texture, but i like geo windows better most of the time, just a preference
    edited July 2020 #52
    There's something to be said for the no-notch. I could go either way. (Sorry, I guess that isn't much help but I'm being honest).
    I wasn't sure what you meant with the windows until I took a closer look at the lower picture. That's a slick idea. I have a ship I did years ago and posted in my thread that that would be the only answer for.
    Looks good. I like the notch. Interesting idea with the windows. I do edge rounding for my window cuts, so that wouldn't necessarily work for me. (technically you could still do it, but I just cut 'em) But, it's still a cool idea.
    Well since they are instances, i only extrude 1 window, then duplicate it around as needed and i don't have to boolean or cut up the mesh. when I go to texture this I may indeed do a texture, but i like geo windows better most of the time, just a preference

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood. I thought they were cut into the hull all the same, just extruded outwards. I see your point now, it is a great time saver. :+1:
    Did some work on the saucer... I think I'll name it USS Arges, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arges_(Cyclops)

saucer1.jpg

saucer-close.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180rojrenRekkertBrandenbergashleytingerBolianAdmiralFreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    This is great. It's like the Vulcans influenced Starfleet design at Utopia Planetia.
    The notch looks better, but without feels more like a starfleet design. Also a neat trick with the windows.
    edited July 2020 #58
    Getting closer, working on the smaller details, added more bridge detail, panel lines, some more connecting greebles to the ring, some textured windows, and some hatch doors...also reduced the size of the windows again and made some of the phasers single phasers so it didn't seem so over powered. At some point I'll have to unwrap some of it and get to actual texturing panels and such, ugh! Think I'll need some more running lights around the ship too...

It's place in time is midway between Excelsior and Enterprise-A/Reliant.. I imagine Starfleet was exploring many options along with Excelsior's transwarp drive. Perhaps Spock helped enable some vulcan tech sharing.

Nice higher rez renders:

ship_design_front_v05.jpg

ship_design_back_v05.jpg

ship_design_under_v05.jpg

ship_design_underfront_v05.jpg
    Post edited by japetus on
    Rekkertevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergDark AngelFreak
    Looks good. I can definitely see influences from the Enterprise refit and Reliant in the design. Your back story of Starfleet trying different tech to achieve greater warp speeds also makes sense. It's the same type of radical experimentation that has gone into developing new airplane designs over the last century plus. Some designs work out, many more don't. This could represent a design that didn't work out, or at least that didn't perform to expectations.
    japetus
    Looks good. I can definitely see influences from the Enterprise refit and Reliant in the design. Your back story of Starfleet trying different tech to achieve greater warp speeds also makes sense. It's the same type of radical experimentation that has gone into developing new airplane designs over the last century plus. Some designs work out, many more don't. This could represent a design that didn't work out, or at least that didn't perform to expectations.

Yup, exactly, or were super secret and used for only one purpose....
    Love the new details!
    Even if not a successful experiment, I could still imagine it as a capable science vessel given the Vulcan background of the design. :)