Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Trek ship imaginings

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,566Member
    Sweet ship design!
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771264 PNWPosts: 757Member
    Oh! You put phaser balls on the exterior of the drive ring! I don't know if I'd have thought of that, but it's a good idea that makes sense now that I see it.

👍
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited July 2020 #64
    Love it. One thing that occurs to me is the warp core dome. I get why there would be one back where the impulse engines are but it seems like it's quite an internal space occupying trip from back there to your warp ring. Could it be that part of the experiment involves smaller decentralized warp cores? Two more out close to the attachments for the ring? You do have the two blue grills (impulse?) at the back of those side structures on the ring. If those were the impulse engines then it would be just two warp cores.

OR one down the center, supplying power to the ring at the bottom? Just a thought on a really nice design.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Love the tribute to the classic warp ring and how you're giving it attention to go beyond a mere kitbash.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    edited July 2020 #66
    Love it. One thing that occurs to me is the warp core dome. I get why there would be one back where the impulse engines are but it seems like it's quite an internal space occupying trip from back there to your warp ring. Could it be that part of the experiment involves smaller decentralized warp cores? Two more out close to the attachments for the ring? You do have the two blue grills (impulse?) at the back of those side structures on the ring. If those were the impulse engines then it would be just two warp cores.

OR one down the center, supplying power to the ring at the bottom? Just a thought on a really nice design.

Good idea, it could be at either end of the nacelle attachments like the Constellation class. Also I thought then blue on the side would be like the red part of the nacelles and the ring the blue part of TNG era nacelles, but now that makes less sense. Maybe they can be impulse engines. Maybe still have a small one on the saucer since I'm imagining it can detach itself in emergency.
    Post edited by japetus on
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Needs to be black if its super secret :p
    Ok Brandenberg, I tried your comment out and I think it's working pretty good! A lot smoother ring now and impulse,ring area is more interesting now. I then had to rework the back a lot... so I shortened it up a lot. so it's not as much of an overhang over the shuttle bay and tried to add some subtle but not too distacting greebles along the top, still not very happy with it...the fins could work, i'm thinking it's a sensor module type thing, was trying to avoid the rollbar or huge Nebula class type model. If anyone wants to do a paintover of that area feel free... :-D

arges-front_v06.jpg
    arges-back_v06.jpg
    arges-side_v06.jpg
    Rekkertrojrenevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777Freak
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I wasn't sold on this when you first posted but it's really turned out incredible.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Oh wow wee wow woo. She's a beauty. I almost want something to dock in that notch, but that's just me.
    Oh wow wee wow woo. She's a beauty. I almost want something to dock in that notch, but that's just me.

Maybe I'll add some attachment greebles for more sensor pods... I 😉
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    edited July 2020 #72
    Regarding that area over the shuttle bay: I'd extend it a wee bit further than the current iteration and then add a row of windows as a shuttle bay control room. Here's what I'm thinking:
    7dx03um38zrr.png6c1vwjsjgdzk.png
    Post edited by seanr on
    japetusBrandenbergLizzy777evil_genius_180
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    BTW, the windows are deliberately low, so the deck for the control room would be a few steps down from the rest of the surrounding deck. You could even go hog wild and put matching transparent sections in the floor (aligned with the windows but maybe not as deep as the windows are tall).
    edited July 2020 #74
    I have to say, I had a picture in my mind when I made the suggestion but it wasn't nearly as good as what you did.

If you think about it, having the impulse engines split that far apart would make this thing extremely maneuverable in battle. Imagine a differential power output that far apart and how quickly it could turn. As everyone knows, the banked turns they do in Star Wars and Star Trek strain credibility and reality. The more recent Battle Star Gallactica did a much better job. This ship could almost flip turn on a dime.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    japetus
    Might have to do a small middle one too, like a car
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I think Aridas Sophia had similar designs.
    He called them “clippers”
    Getting closer, tried some different saucer shapes on the bottom, and a blended saucer/body which was a disaster, i think i'm going with this for the most part..hope to start painting some panel colors and lines tomorrow which i think will help a lot
    arges-back_v07.jpg

arges_front_v07.jpg
    BrandenbergRekkertashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    That's looking superb. I like what you did with the torpedo structure.
    Moved a few more pieces around and made a little conference room at the end of the bridge, Thanks to Viper for some texturing help! Still WIP on the textures, trying out some different ship lighting as well.

arges_front_v08.jpg
    ship_design_fronttop_v07.jpg
    arges-back_v08.jpg
    RekkertFreakLizzy777rojrenslybrarianBrandenberg
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Oh, how did I miss this? This is awesome! Nice to someone doing TMP era stuff as well. I have some overall design comments, but I think you'd have to rework some parts. The main ones are:
    • I would align the RCS thrusters to the grid lines. Same with the bottom phaser turrets.
    • The RCS thrusters might also have to be a bit larger. I suggest taking a look a reference from the known ships.
    • I would also have mixed the window types a little bit more on the rim. It looks a bit too uniform right now.
    • Not sure I like the blocks around the rim of the saucer. I would remove them, but it's a style choice I guess.

Don't take me wrong though. This is an awesome design :)
    Viper wrote: »
    Oh, how did I miss this? This is awesome! Nice to someone doing TMP era stuff as well. I have some overall design comments, but I think you'd have to rework some parts. The main ones are:
    • I would align the RCS thrusters to the grid lines. Same with the bottom phaser turrets.
    • The RCS thrusters might also have to be a bit larger. I suggest taking a look a reference from the known ships.
    • I would also have mixed the window types a little bit more on the rim. It looks a bit too uniform right now.
    • Not sure I like the blocks around the rim of the saucer. I would remove them, but it's a style choice I guess.

Don't take me wrong though. This is an awesome design :)

Thanks! Should be no big deal, I like those ideas, they are all separate parts anyway. Any idea why th RCS thrusters glow? At least on the Enterprise A, I noticed it for the first time today very odd unless they are constantly on!
    I'm also thinking I have way too many windows on this thing...and they might still be too big. A hard balance to strike
    japetus wrote: »
    I'm also thinking I have way too many windows on this thing...and they might still be too big. A hard balance to strike

Are you building the ship in real scale? I did the circular windows with a 30cm diameter and the rectangular ones are 155cm width x 60cm height.

Are you building the ship in real scale? I did the circular windows with a 30cm diameter and the rectangular ones are 155cm width x 60cm height.

I didnt quite start at the right scale, I think it's about at half scale, I'll have to try those dimensions.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I wouldn't say you had too many windows... i think you've got the balance about right... loving the little bits of detail that you're adding.. and the colours look great..
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    ^^Agreed, you have a good number of windows there.
    Thanks! Should be no big deal, I like those ideas, they are all separate parts anyway. Any idea why th RCS thrusters glow? At least on the Enterprise A, I noticed it for the first time today very odd unless they are constantly on!

I missed this before. I'm not sure why they glow, but as far as I recall, they are always on yes.
    I missed this before. I'm not sure why they glow, but as far as I recall, they are always on yes.

I was reading some funny behind the scenes anecdotes on the Enterprise model built for TMP (which was not the 'A' until the end of ST4 i never realized). Apparently ILM kinda hated filming it because the irridescent aztec paint scheme caused a lot of blue screen issues and they were very excited to blow it up (not the original) for ST3 only to have to fix it up again for ST4 onward, but that's why it got more dull and gray as time went on apparently. Made shooting it easier.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I just noticed that the zoom and tilt mouse-over effect on the thread thumbnail gives the blue engine glow an animated effect.
    my first pass at texturing the engineering/neck area.. also made Viper's revisions, good ideas. Need to balance the colors still, should me more teal, less green.

arges_front_v09.jpg

Lizzy777Rekkertrojrenevil_genius_180BrandenbergFreak
    Ah, I think the windows look much better! As for the texturing, I'm liking the look, only adjustment I would make is to push that angle stripe either a bit forwards or a bit back so it doesn't go over the docking hatch.