Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon D7 Project

• mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Very nice piece of work so far.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Thanks guys.

Reworked the neck. Reworked the teardrop front so I could taper the neck.

Hard to see but I did a little interior work on the bridge.
    97784.png
    So I had to Redo the teardrop front end yet another time. The original was not shaped correctly. Here is a bottom view. Also re-posted the top view above.
    97839.png97840.png
    Some early success at armor plating. There are problems with non-planar polygons that have to be worked out, but you get the idea.
    97961.png
  • AnarionAnarion338 Posts: 50Member
    Great job. I started a D-7 a long time ago. The detail work takes a great deal of patience. I still have some great reference pics of the original model. Let me know if you need them.

Brian
    [email protected]
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    YouA’re a perfeccionist Brandenberg, and a dammed good one! ;)
    Thank-you both.
    Anarion: I'm always interested in good reference pics. I have quite a few good ones of the Undiscovered Country model shot in a parking lot and some in a very dark room (warm / yellow lighting). I also have the black-and-white set of the Motion picture model and a few color images of the same. Do you have other photos beyond those?

Starship: I'm trying. Lately I've been telling myself, I am going to have to start at the nose of this thing and take care of finalizing the details, systematically moving from front to back. The teardrop front is almost ready. There was no point to cutting things in until it was shaped correctly.

108,367 Polys BTW
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    "ahem"......close ups
    EBOLII: any particular area(s)?:)
    **devils voice** that little thingy on the front nose to that curvy thingy on the butt end.......and top and bottom.

all jokes aside...your doing a great job and i would like to see details......artist discretion
    I've started at the nose and will be working back to finalize. Here's a detail shot.
    99400.png
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Coming along very nicely there.

Best regards
    M.
    Thanks man.

Here is detail on the front of the hull.
    99401.png
    Incredible work!
    see THAT'S what I am talking about!!!!! Awesome details Bud.......Go go gadget render glasses!
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Dang it! I was just starting Kronos One thinking I hadn't seen a lot of these around. Oh well, great job!! :D
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    I see some segmentation. Thank goodness!
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Tallguy wrote: »
    I see some segmentation. Thank goodness!

Yeah, I built some of this thinking that it is a small part of the ship that won't be looked at that closely. I may replace some of the structures later.

"Thank Goodness" ???:lol:
    japetus wrote: »
    Dang it! I was just starting Kronos One thinking I hadn't seen a lot of these around. Oh well, great job!! :D

Hey, there are 3 (oops 4) DS-9 stations on the forum right now. Go for it. Love to see what you do.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    "Thank Goodness" ???:lol:

Thank goodness because "it is a small part of the ship that won't be looked at that closely". :D
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    I've been working on the complicated curve of the top of the "wing" of main hull. It twists and it took a while to figure out what was the best way to segment it without doing a gazillion polygons. The plating is free of Lightwave artifacts (I think).
    99399.png
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Yeah, that part is tricky, looking great!! Just wait until the photon torpedo launcher...DUH DUH DUUUUH. That's where I'm glad Max has many conform tools...
    japetus wrote: »
    Just wait until the photon torpedo launcher.

You must mean the one on the forward teardrop section. I have cut that one in before on previous inaccurate meshes with success but haven't tackled it yet due to still considering the accuracy of the shape of the current teardrop. It isn't exactly like the model yet, but I am not sure if it is an optical illusion or not. I am also not sure if I actually like the shape of the real model. Decisions, decisions :lol:
    The teardrop forward piece is difficult to do. Thought you all would get a laugh out of how I did it. It is pieced together from 4 pieces of geometry. 1) A Sphere (the front, and top half of the middle section) 2) The lower half of a Lightwave "Disk" that was added on to the bottom middle section 3) The bottom portion of a box with rounded corners that was spliced onto the rest for the bottom of the aft section and finally, 4) A hand done spline draw (that started as a disk) for the angled windows just above the neck. Of course these pieces had to be stretched and manipulated. In this instance Lightwave's smoothing function came in handy
    98136.png
    In max, I would do it using a sphere (or geosphere), and later use a ffd modifier and move verts and edges.
    Doing the joins as you did is far beyond my skills, and I believe that max wonA’t give me a so smoothed object in the end.
    Your hard work turned out very good sir! :thumb:
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Starship wrote: »
    In max, I would do it using a sphere (or geosphere), and later use a ffd modifier and move verts and edges.

I've tried this and it worked quite well, but...
    Starship wrote: »
    Doing the joins as you did is far beyond my skills, and I believe that max wonA’t give me a so smoothed object in the end.

Max does a pretty outstanding job of making my slop look smooth. :) This is how I've achieved some of my smoothest shapes, although it takes a fair amount of time to get it all prettied up.
    There's no doubt about the fact that some of my approaches take time. But when it ain't right, it ain't right. Ha!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Everybody has there ways of doing things.. doens't mean yours is the right or wrong way :) as long as it gets done, and to your satisfaction :)
    Everybody has there ways of doing things.. doens't mean yours is the right or wrong way :) as long as it gets done, and to your satisfaction :)

YouA’re right. Well said!
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    V'ger does not stand a chance....