Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon D7 Project

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking so sweet, excellent work.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thanks Talon!!
    It is one of my fave Trek alien ship designs so it is just great to see it getting so much TLC.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s a beauty! Your interpretation for this bird looks excellent by all angles. :thumb:
    Will you be painting the plates with red-wine colors, or other?
    Talon: Mine too, so you can count on it getting loads of TLC. :) Oh, and I toned down the engine glow + I'll be doing the Motion Picture engines too at some point. She needs a fair amount of edge rounding (hard to do on such a complex shape so I wanted to get the proportions right before doing so) 152,488 polys to date.

Starship: As people have posted, there has been a few comments on color. I guess green is the proper color for the STTMP movie model. However, I saw it in grey, the first time I ever laid eyes on it and fell in love (that was a lot of years ago). I'm not really meaning to make this a Quo'nos but will probably play with that color just to see. I sort of felt that the coloring (the way it was lit) in the Undiscovered Country was a bit dandy for Klingons who obviously seem more "function" than "form."

What you see in the last few posts is of course a grey and green which works for me. I'm looking forward to trying some things out, but you can expect subdued.
    I understand. ThatA’s ok. :thumb:
    Minor color adjustments. I also added some detail to the back of the Shuttle bay area. Obviously not visible in this angle. I updated the last image above.

Removed Image to make room
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Looks Amazing
    Realized I had the Photon Torpedo tube too large as well as other minor problems, like segmentation. These are mostly fixed now. The temporary hull color doesn't look so good this close, but this is the often requested close-up shot.
    99390.png
    Very nice, loving the amount of detail that has gone into this, and interesting to see the interior of the torpedo launcher orifice with an explanation of why that is so large when the torpedoes themselves are obviously much smaller, have never noticed that detail before.
    Definitely need to do my own UV mapped surface. A lot of nitpicky work now. Adjusting position and sizes to match the original model more closely.
    99386.png
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    superb work! you start to play in your own league with this great model. never was a fan of this ship, but you've changed my mind with this thread.....
    Thanks for the nice comments all.

TALON_UK: Apparently the whole launcher is completely different from Federation design. As if they just create a mass of photonic energy. I remember being surprised, the first time they depicted an actual photon torpedo "casing" in one of the movies. Up till then, it was just a mass of photonic energy coming out of a (much smaller) launcher.

commandersozo: I just looked at some of your work in the "finished" section. REALLY GREAT!
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    Great work keep it up :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Thanks for the nice comments all.

TALON_UK: Apparently the whole launcher is completely different from Federation design. As if they just create a mass of photonic energy. I remember being surprised, the first time they depicted an actual photon torpedo "casing" in one of the movies. Up till then, it was just a mass of photonic energy coming out of a (much smaller) launcher.

That seems to be the case especially with the way the photon torpedo was depicted in the Bird of Prey in ST III. By Undiscovered Country, it looked more like a regular tube. I might even go so far as to suggest what we saw in ST III was a nose mounted mega-disruptor seeing its effect.
    Yes and I am still a little surprised by the use of a photon torpedo instead of a disruptor. I guess it was the Romulans that Kirk and crew had to back away from so that their plasma disruptor weakened and did less damage. Did we see that with the Klingons too?

Model update: I'm UV mapping and working on textures. Also tweaking accuracy. Sometimes I think, the more I look, the worse it gets. Hope to post something soon. Thanks all for the encouragement.
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awesome and a very dangerous thing to me....nice....quick question: is this a TMP or Undiscovered Country D-7?

tmphd0145.jpg
    TMP D-7

tuchd0423.jpg
    Undiscovered Country D-7

*images are from the TrekCore Website: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/

Keep up the excellent work!

Chris
    98839.jpg98840.jpg
    In its current form it is a "Brandenberg's favorite elements from both models" model. I think of it as a ship of the line that has stopped in from "glorious battle" for a few technical updates, most notably an engine upgrade. There's a practical element. Some of the pictures from the TMP model aren't very good for detail in some areas, and the pictures of the Quo'nos are -- and vice versa. In another place I've mentioned I plan to do the TMP engines as an alternate. If you push me on it, I'll admit I prefer the TMP design if I HAD to choose. But I do like the Undiscovered Country engines, at least the outside of them. I actively dislike the flat top sensor dome (strikes me like a trash can) on the Undiscovered Country model.

I was pleased to see how much my model resembles the TMP one you posted. Thanks for asking.

On another note, has everyone seen the trailer for JJ Abram's next movie. Take a close look at the Enterprise - she's had an engine upgrade herself. Beautiful CGI of her hitting the water and then rising out of it again.
    After much trial and error, here is a first baby step on UV texturing the model. I used the same shot as the one above for the sake of comparison. It will move a little faster now that I have a basic idea.
    99387.png
    Nice, loving the detail in that shot, and nice to see the obvious improvements gleaned from the UV mapping over that previous render, great job.
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    After much trial and error, here is a first baby step on UV texturing the model. I used the same shot as the one above for the sake of comparison. It will move a little faster now that I have a basic idea.

I always thought the white observation lounge windows at the back of the forward section was an interesting, "same designer" input from the new enterprise...could not see a bunch of warrior klingons sitting around drinking tea, looking at the stars...
    saultenian wrote: »
    I always thought the white observation lounge windows at the back of the forward section was an interesting, "same designer" input from the new enterprise... could not see a bunch of warrior Klingons sitting around drinking tea, looking at the stars...
    Man you hit it on the head! I have struggled with what to do back there. The area is large enough to be a moderate-sized combat training room. Or perhaps just a dining hall.

For my taste, the UV turnned out excellent, to say the least! :thumb:
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    The UV work is subtle but highly effective. Great job!
    Thanks Starship
    Thanks Tralfaz
    You've been great!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Great work on the texturing so far!
    Thank-you kind sir. Texturing isn't a strong point so suggestions are more than welcome.
  • vnm51vnm512 Posts: 0Member
    Very good texturing work so far. It's realistic, good color settings and precise uv mapping. I don't think you need suggestions about texturing just keep it up.
    Appreciate it vnm51 - :D

Christmas has kept me busy but as far as texturing is concerned, I've been experimenting and experimenting. Mostly stuff that didn't work. What you see isn't the final answer, but I managed to get a greenish grey hue to her back, and I feel closer. You can't see it in this picture but I managed to bump map the panel on the top hull in the center, thus avoiding a lot of polygons. I counted and duplicated the groove count from the model (which left me cross-eyed).

The bump-mapped scoring lines on the hull need work. I think REL777 has a better pattern.

Just wanted to let you know I hadn't died.
    99385.png
    Changed the panel lines and adjusted color. :)