Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    edited August 2023 #3002
    I reached out to John Eaves, to see if he has any decent photos of that detail he can share. Awaiting a reply.

Ah missed this, thanks I suppose I could always bug Doug. I just try to find stuff online lately but detail images of some ships are just rare or dont exist. Would have loved to have had the $$$ back then to get my butt and a digital back slr to that auction. Heh. Would have needed 5tb of hdd as I woulda just burned off the rolls (well sd cards now lol)

SInce I am posting a reply here is a quickie of the less black floor and some back wall details as think it needs something there even if you can barely see what I put there. Might pop more if I do a 2009 style treatment. EG light the F out of it so all the shuttle pilots get blinded by lights.

emissary-0817.jpg

That dark floor I am tempted to add more elevating hatches on the other side so you could have pop up tool racks. Wont be modeled but the doors would suggest it.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    BolianAdmiralPreVizscifiericRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperatorStarshipsrspicer
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    New bits look nice. Yeah, don't go all 2009 and blind the pilots, lol... MAYBE add like three small orientation lights (red, green, red) on the center top above the bay doors, as a nod to the orientation lights on the TOS ship, but updated a bit? IDK, just throwing stuff out there.
    PreVizscifieric
    Forgot to mention, yeah, I think the dark gray color for the pad looks better then the black.
    scifieric
  • PreVizPreViz339 Posts: 14Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I reached out to John Eaves, to see if he has any decent photos of that detail he can share. Awaiting a reply.

Ah missed this, thanks I suppose I could always bug Doug. I just try to find stuff online lately but detail images of some ships are just rare or dont exist. Would have loved to have had the $$$ back then to get my butt and a digital back slr to that auction. Heh. Would have needed 5tb of hdd as I woulda just burned off the rolls (well sd cards now lol)

As someone who is always on the lookout for reference photos of the Voyager filming model, I find it strange. Buyers of these models, when they're sold at auction, rarely take photos. And they don't post them online for people to see.

I believe the voyager model was sold at an auction years ago to some person in Finland. After that, who knows.
    scifieric
    edited August 2023 #3006
    Yeah last time many of these models saw the public eye was back at that christies auction and pre auction showings.

Image of some rough idea lighting before dinner and some tv time. vray lights are a right PITA. Makes me feel like Im back in 2005 at times.
    emissary-0818.jpg

none of it is fixed just fooling around as I have a lot more work to do before I even properly consider ship lighting.
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralViperscifiericRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777wibblePreVizcaveat_imperatorand 2 others.
    Last images for the session for me.

emissary-0820.jpg
    emissary-0821.jpg
    BolianAdmiralViperashleytingerscifiericRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777wibblePreVizcaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, handholds are extremely important in zero gravity. I like the way you shortened the rail and added those lifts.

Man, sometimes I forget how detailed the Voyager model was until I see a closeup pic.
    scifiericBolianAdmiral
    I can relate to Worf in First Contact… going out onto the hull for a spacewalk would be a truly disorienting thing to deal with… especially if it’s a situation where you have no clear idea what direction you’re “supposed” to be, such as in open deep space, near a comet or asteroid field or whatnot. Just for my mental stability, I’d need to know I’m anchored to something. But that’s me.
    Floor markings and did the door tracks though cant see them that well cause of the floor heh. A bunch of other unseen stuff as well then hours of crashing due to the chamfer bug that has been in max for the last 2 decades.
    emissary-0822.jpg
    emissary-0823.jpg

Kinda fenced on dual lane. (The smaller shuttles can do this) or single lane.
    wibblePreVizashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserStarshipevil_genius_180srspicerBolianAdmiralLizzy777and 1 other.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    edited August 2023 #3011
    ...A bunch of other unseen stuff as well then hours of crashing due to the chamfer bug that has been in max for the last 2 decades.

Yeah, the chamfer bug is a pain in the ass, even for me, not an experienced 3dsmax user like you.
    I tested Marius Silaghi plugin, and looks like it can do a much better job. Already tryed it?
    Here is goes the link, just in case: https://mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-chamfer-modifier ;)

Post edited by Starship on
    Nice. I kinda like the dual lane, obviously nothing as big as a runabout would use it, but I like it for the small craft.
    I have no issues edge chamfering, it is vert chamfers that have been a bane of max since forever. I have had nothing but headaches from add ons so I only use vanilla max.

Update: ore more of a quick blocking in of a control "eyebrow" Modeling this so it isnt visible in the angles of the illustration but still provides a more vertical viewport so control staff have proper sight lines. NOT that they really need a window as scans and displays would likely do a much better job but we still desire some thing that we can point at and say look a control room. Nothing saying we need this detail so if it isnt wanted it can just go away :p

emissary-0824.jpg

I had thought to do a inset so there would be no protuberance but this would place the crew too far back from the edge creating large blind spots. ATM Id say about half the landing deck is not in view, though these observation ports would be more to look past the decking.
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralStarCruiserStarshipcaveat_imperatorLizzy777Rory1707
    Ooohhh… I like that.

So, John Eaves replied… he said that he’s away from home for a few weeks, but he does have HD scans and pics of the model he can send me when he gets back. So hold off on the final markings, if you want.
    PreViz
    It was mostly wanting to see the details of the bay itself. Like those dark areas flanking the doors on the main hull. Thought it would be nice to see the text and those white markings denotes which I am sure is full grav or variable grav section. The central red area actually looks like the TOS elevator thing. Of course we will still have to go on our guts in interpreting that info.
    BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperator
    Rough out of the control room. Time for detail pass then seeing how I want to weld it into the hull as I kinda want to do something more than just rim chamfering the shape in.
    emissary-0826.jpg
    emissary-0827.jpg
    emissary-0828.jpg
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralSCE2AuxStarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707wibblecaveat_imperatorLizzy777publiusr
    Internal layout of the eyebrow. A bit further than planned but eh. Roughed in consoles and side entry to avoid light spill from opening doors. That is assuming it might run dim lighting for on eye visuals out those windows. I would expect the "glass" to have some heads up overlays etc. Side windows are mostly emergency visual hence the opening between consoles. I considered modeling in a platform there but you cannot see it at any angle from outside so meh. The reason there are no displays sunken into the main consoles or displays in the jambs.

emissary-0831.png

and a way too close update render.
    emissary-0832.jpg
    Rory1707StarCruiserBolianAdmiralPreVizevil_genius_180wibblecaveat_imperatorLizzy777
    edited September 2023 #3018
    I think I am at the point of welding this into the hull. Unless it is ok as a intersecting object. Debating on greeble pits up top.
    oops.jpg
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180
    Looks great… I love that little room, lol. Glad you added it.
    oops wrong image
    emissary-0833.jpg
    PreVizevil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiserBolianAdmiralRory1707Lizzy777
    Rounded into the main hull.

emissary-0835.jpg
    StarshipwibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777
    It looks great. I love the details and that subtle rounding into the hull adds a nice real world touch.
    render from last night, got busy with house stuff today so no real updates

emissary-0836.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180PreVizBolianAdmiralStarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorwibbleLizzy777
  • seanrseanr1137 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 607Member
    Rough out of the control room. Time for detail pass then seeing how I want to weld it into the hull as I kinda want to do something more than just rim chamfering the shape in.
    Where's the split between the two halves of the door? Take a look at the TMP one and you'll see what I mean - the parts are all equal width with a split between the to center parts.
    It rolls to the left or right. Doors are set up as a internal overlay so a central split would weaken the strength inherent in the design. Idea is the doors can track around the jamb for various configs like the way the SOV doors are set up on the saucer bay.

emissary-0813.jpg

Rory1707StarCruiserBolianAdmirallennier1PreVizevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorLizzy777
    Added fixtures and repositioned lighting. Not much. . . dunno where the day went but poof gone. . . . . Probably should get to those greebles in the pits and some of the trimming bits then merge things back into the mesh or dupe them over to the other bay.

emissary-0838.jpg

emissary-0839.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLoopholecaveat_imperatorwibbleStarCruiserBolianAdmiralRory1707Lizzy777
    Beginnings of the greeble pit. Colors will unify more as I near the end atm it is just to help me see what I want a different color. That and test how it looks under lighting if I DO a spot light on them. Other pit will reuse some of the smaller elements to keep a modular look.
    emissary-0840.jpg
    Only draw back I see with the spot light is it highlights or makes density something to consider. If in shadow I probably could get away with how it looks now. EXP given at full ship distances this will just be at most 9 pixels high. lol.

ok not as hidden ans I thought. mmmm
    emissary-0841.jpg
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorPreVizwibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777gpdesignerand 1 other.
    Think that is that pit done.

emissary-0843.jpg

emissary-0844.jpg
    ashleytingerStarCruiserBolianAdmiralwibbleRory1707Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I see you putting a safety railing next to the door. Excellent touch.
    Nice greebleage. They add some interest to the area without being too much.
    BolianAdmiral
    Some testing of adding some stuff in the trough of the upper area of the bay.

Kinda tempted to weld the lip into this backer piece.

ok, uh I didnt post the original pic and posting this one instead. Same changes above but added markers to the door rim. Not sure if I will go with the white or yellow. Also tempted to run some markings up the edge of each door too be it lights or just a strip of color or a extrusion.
    emissary-0846.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707BolianAdmiralPreVizashleytingerStarCruiserSCE2AuxLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibble