Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBeyond A

• gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    According to Bernd Schneider, it's 150% larger than the Enterprise's saucer. Remember, in the shot I posted, the Enterprise is considerably closer to the camera, because it's flying directly at that saucer but has enough time and space to maneuver under it.

And, in 1080p, you can make out part of the name "Mayflower" and part of the registry number. The USS Mayflower is one of the ships in the fleet that went to Vulcan.

Schneider isn't a reliable authority on these things anymore. He's committed to his own interpretation of the data. He doesn't seem to take lens effects and camera angles into consideration.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    gerb200 wrote: »
    Schneider isn't a reliable authority on these things anymore. He's committed to his own interpretation of the data. He doesn't seem to take lens effects and camera angles into consideration.

Bernd uses massive confirmation bias to come to his scale conclusions. He interprets the evidence in such a way that all things that confirm his desire for the ship to be small are included in the analysis and all that contradict his desire are excluded.

Whether the ship started at a smaller size and was later scaled up, it was at least scaled up in such a way that the design still works and still makes sense. So what if the windows are bigger? They're still of a perfectly plausible size. Instead of a 1m tall window you have a 1.5m tall one. They way it has been scaled means the number of decks is simply doubled. So you have two rows of windows on the saucer rim. It is a mistake to assume the saucer rim has two decks however. There could be a deck between the rows of windows afterall and at the ship's bigger scale it fits in there perfectly. The designers and modellers clearly responded to the director's request to enlarge the ship with enough care that all the ship's details still make sense.

The bridge window would simply not work if the ship were 300m long. Bernd never even mentions this.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Enterprais
    Hello, can you see a few pictures?
    Where do you place the lights?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member

OK, not arguing the point. I could be wrong. I watched the Vulcan arrival sequence last night on YouTube and it looks in the distance shot that the saucers are the same size. Since I can't fathom why they would change size between shots, it could just be a perspective issue.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    I think the saucer would be larger because of the bowling alley. Clearly it's not there in the first 3 films, so you would need to enlarge the saucer for that...And I am not even speaking of the SPA yet, which would seemed an essential in space.
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    trekki, well, almost everywhere they should be, here are some screenshots.
    111818.jpg111819.jpg111820.jpg111821.jpg111822.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Could of just done an emissive material for the impulse using either the Glow mental ray material or Architectural material.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Could of just done an emissive material for the impulse using either the Glow mental ray material or Architectural material.

I was asking myself the same question...never seen so much Omni lights on a model. Usually I use them for warning lights. Otherwise I switch to mental Ray render and put Glow material for windows, energy strips and such...make it simpler to handle them over a bunch of lighting objects. That depends on what renderer you want. I know MentalRay can be limiting in terms of importing the model...I often debate the value of mentalRay because of the exlcusion/inclusion of the Glow texture. Kind of a Love/hate relationship.

You can download VoyagerNutrek as example of mentalray texture here. look at the nacelle energy strips (also windows, deflector energy, etc...):
    http://www.3ddub.net/public-files/
    You also have tutorials about mentalrays and glow in youtube. Hopes it would help. Be aware that mentalray would change your global lighting sheme. Usually it,s better to have 2-3 global Omni lights.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Believe me guys, I know what are you talking about, that's the first thing I tried and it just doesn't work. The illumination of self-illum materials is really limited in mental ray and the worst part - I can't set attentuation boundaries which means - mental ray FG process the whole scene for every self illuminated material and it will increase the render time quite a lot.

Finally finished those two artworks..

..Oops, the images didn't attach..
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Enterprais already handled the MR conversion, so I'm doing the 3ds Max Vray conversion. Still more hull spots to add. Progress thus far...

Bpgw1S6.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Oh they kept the Delta Shield on the shuttlebay.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    PixelMagic, wow, the hull looks different in VRay.. And impulse engines - it's like they're under the glass case.
    By the way, I didn't understand that two things under the hangar doors, with several white ligths. They suppose to cast light on the hull, right?

Finally finished that two renders(posting it second time, because the first time images got lost somewhere..)
    111836.jpg111837.jpg
    Enterprais wrote: »
    PixelMagic, wow, the hull looks different in VRay.. And impulse engines - it's like they're under the glass case.
    By the way, I didn't understand that two things under the hangar doors, with several white ligths. They suppose to cast light on the hull, right?

Finally finished that two renders(posting it second time, because the first time images got lost somewhere..)

How did you do those background nebulae? They are amazing!
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Enterprais wrote: »

Great conversion and rendering! :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Enterprais already handled the MR conversion, so I'm doing the 3ds Max Vray conversion. Still more hull spots to add. Progress thus far...

Bpgw1S6.jpg

Coming along very nice Daniel!
    Any chance you might render something in a phone lock-screen aspect ratio? :)
    gerb200
    Sure, what size do you need ?:)
    Enterpais:
    Sorry, I've seen your screenshots now. Very interesting.
    Thank you
    I have an iPhone 7 Plus so my resolution maxes out at 1920 x 1080 or a
    Here are two pictures in the resolution 1920x1080.
    Have fun ..
    111839.jpg111840.jpg
    I should say it's 16:9 at 1080 wide by 1920 tall :shiner:
    OK, 1080 x 1920 ... :cool:
    111841.jpg111842.jpg
  • zillabeastzillabeast335 Posts: 28Member
    Phenomenal work! Love it and cannot wait to wallpaper it. Has anyone rendered the model using the pylons from the movie yet instead of the concept art by chance?

nightfever wrote: »
    Okay, first try from the few references we already have.
    Still not sure if this will be a wip to the end.

Bpgw1S6.jpg

I hope you don't mind but I used this as a composite for an iPhone background for myself (mostly just because of the lighting).

All done on my iPhone in Pixelmator and LensFlare.

Image 62 copy.jpg
    111844.jpg
    With a render of Nightfever's mesh by PicelMagic on TrekBBS, I threw this together in my spare time for anyone into this sort of thing.

https://i.imgur.com/gaVMpE0.jpg
    With a render of Nightfever's mesh by PicelMagic on TrekBBS, I threw this together in my spare time for anyone into this sort of thing.

https://i.imgur.com/gaVMpE0.jpg

Very nice! Are you doing that with vector graphics or raster? I'm sure http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ would love this profile drawing, as the one they have there now is just a place holder. Do you plan on the other views?
    It's a vector program for iPhone. I posted it on Ex Astris's Facebook. Don't know how else to get it to them!

Also, I haven't done any other views yet but I'm planning to when I get some time.
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    Wonderful Job!!!
    Just don't be mad when Paramount changes the ship "ONCE AGAIN" for the 8th or 9th time!
    Can't keep up with all the changes! Every movie the ship always looks different !
    How did you do those background nebulae? They are amazing!
    Sorry for a big answer delay. Those nebulas are just pictures I've found in internet, don't know their authors. Usually I do color correction to them so they would fit in the scene..