Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    Detailing those wrist sensor pods.

kling-pretos-453.jpg

kling-pretos-454.jpg

kling-pretos-455.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    More stuff on those sensor things. Bit of a pain in the ass to intersect all these bits.

kling-pretos-456.jpg

kling-pretos-457.jpg

kling-pretos-458.jpg

kling-pretos-459.jpg

kling-pretos-461.jpg
    JES
    Another small update. Mostly working out how things fit together. The plating image I am debating on as I am not fully convinced.

kling-pretos-463.jpg

kling-pretos-464.jpg

kling-pretos-465.jpg
    JES
    Changed up the plates some, I still need to blunt those sharp corners as they do not look right.
    kling-pretos-466.jpg
    JES
    Not much of a update as I spent most of the evening gutting the server again, this time to another mobo. Sadly it bsod right as I download something and transfer over usb. I think though it could be a BAD HDD as there is one that is throwing tonnes of errors into the event viewer. Time to copy all that crap off and toss that drive I guess. Could be my issue. Hatye generic HDW errors. ntoskrnl.exe mostly in the logs. Ram has passed 20+ hrs of mem86 pass multiple ms memtest. So it is that drive or the cpu, psu, os install/SSD it is on. AUGH.

bsod.png?w=300

It is annoying to have the one pc I use or stream content from EVERYWHERE in the house going down like this. About to just toss the x59 platform and get new ram cpu and board.

ANYHOW stuff under the strut and alterations to the stuff on the topside of it. Big whoop! oh and a full butt render.

kling-pretos-468.jpg

kling-pretos-470.jpg

kling-pretos-471.jpg
    JES
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    This thing is looking really good MKF!

I think you're going to find your problem is either the HDD or the OS.
    You said it's an SSD - many manufacturers have had problems - you also have to consider the number of writes limitation.
    In my 25 years of being an IT guy very rarely is the problem the CPU or the board and if it is the server or PC just won't start at all.
    RAM is a possibility, but is less likely since it is passing tests.

I know you'll figure it out and I hope it's an easy fix.
    Well I for some odd reason looked at the event viewer and found a hdd I started hearing having troubles was showing up as having errors during paging events. GO fig as I have no page file on that drive. . . . . .

But it started to those seek spazz events where itll seek all over randomly when connected to a mobo. Often while saving something slowly like a download from a metered host (1.4mb etc). Connect it to a esata or usb and it behaves. So far so good I have tried everything so far to crash it even ocing the proc up to 3.4ghz. (haven't tried higher as it is a 7yr old pc but it used to go 3.7ghz)
    So yet more hdd data moving for me as this will be the 4th drive I have to either toss or reformat to clear bad sectors. (well this seek spazz thing has me thinking a sledgehammer will fix it) Probably still means I should look at picking up a few more 5tb externals and just get this stuff onto new hdw and just toss out all these 1.5~3tb drives.

The SSD being a vertex2 I figured it has to be it but the dead sectors or block count is fairly low. It is in expendable state now and likely will be more so as I am likely to pick up a 960evo for my media pc and push the PNY over to the leech/server pc and use the old OCZ vertex as a page file until it goes read only. An SSD as page drive is pretty speedy compared to a HDD or no pagefile. At one point I was using those 120gig PNY things as Page drives as they were like 40usd. ATM they are sold out everywhere lol.

SO fingers are crossed I got this nailed. . . . . inconsistent BSOD drive me nuts.
    Again I say not much. . . . Mostly brackets and gubbins around the strut bit. I think I will be taking a break from that area and moving down to the nacelle to collapse the subdiv objects there chamfer it all up and do the final detail phase. I still need to come up with some detail on that strut to balance the plated near the top. Thinking I should add some light to the coil area of the nacelles as well as dull down some of the existing glows. (mostly the end caps)

kling-pretos-472.jpg

kling-pretos-473.jpg

kling-pretos-474.jpg

kling-pretos-475.jpg

kling-pretos-476.jpg
    JES
    Start of the final detail pass on the nacelles.

kling-pretos-481.jpg

kling-pretos-482.jpg

kling-pretos-483.jpg
    JES
    So yet more hdd data moving for me as this will be the 4th drive I have to either toss or reformat to clear bad sectors. (well this seek spazz thing has me thinking a sledgehammer will fix it)

I use the 40 ton hydraulic press in the shop at work to teach bad hard drives a lesson as well as when it's time to dispose of them - it's a lot of fun actually. :)

SO fingers are crossed I got this nailed. . . . . inconsistent BSOD drive me nuts

Oh I heard that! :o
    The ship is looking great BTW!
    I used to take em out to the range but these are mostly pending sector errors and the like, so they are not totaly dead yet. Just not useful for active duty, just long term archive. Enough to piss this particular board off. X58 has been nothing but headaches since I got any hdw for it. Much of the drives causing bsods on it have to be fixed on my haswell box. Overall it is telling me to move on to another generation of HDW sadly all the new crap is win8 or worse win10 only.

More nacelles. Almost all of it is collapsed now, just the rear supports and the "fins above those remain.

kling-pretos-492.jpg

kling-pretos-493.jpg

Including some full ship renders

kling-pretos-494.jpg

Clearly I have to adjust some of the LUM lighting to correct for the overblown areas in the sensors and shoulder cannons.

kling-pretos-495.jpg

Render to show the interface to the strut.
    kling-pretos-496.jpg
    JES
    It's looking pretty mean and tough there MKF!
    More nacelles again! This time with more bumps and lumps. Loads of building and "un" building and this is the result.

kling-pretos-503.jpg

kling-pretos-504.jpg
    JES
    Decided to take a break from the Klingon ship for a bit and dug out another ship that was put on hold last year or so.

Started with fixing a bunch of screwed up things and converting the scene to match up with the other more recent environments.

balmung-redo-560.jpg
    a few wires

balmung-redo-559.png

balmung-redo-561.png

Ok I think I got all the light tuning dealt with. Redid the impulse internals and I think this is what I will go with vs all those other variations I was going through. Heck went through a bunch today too and none really had the look of TNG but didnt appear better than the painted plastic film look. The grills are real objects in the plasma field with the plasma being some lum elements in the box being diffused by the final grill which is a translucent film over it all. I did toy with something like that Ent-G (inset image) so I might return to that idea. Also changed out those secondary plates to blue vs the white.

balmung-redo-562.jpg
    balmung-redo-565.jpg

balmung-redo-566.jpg
    JES
    Wasted most of the night away doing windows. Forgot I wanted to do some horz windows on one of these rows. Maybe I will save those for the ring between the lifeboats, even though the flatter surface near the reg ring would have worked out better.

Meh,
    balmung-redo-567.jpg

balmung-redo-568.jpg

Attempting to match to the original mesh and what I have already done. I hope I can find my original notes for the jamb spacings. DERP.

upper row added
    balmung-redo-570.jpg
    Ok decided to add some large double wide windows around that upper ring and tossed in a ring near the sensor array. Between that red group and the first blue one will be the phaser strips.

balmung-redo-571.jpg

balmung-redo-572.jpg
    More windows and more rooms. . . ugh. I did wonder why I was on a TOS bender, I know why now. TNG stuff has way too many of these holes. Well would be worse than this as TNG ships have more than twice as many. One more row to go and I am done with the saucer. All that would be left is random decals and some detail bits like hatches and the like, I think. heh. I still have some surfacing work to do on some of the materials. I do need to figure out what is causing importation to create all these bounced light blooms. (renders are much slower without the settings. I think it has to do with all the mixing of lum and self light surfaces or something to do with the composite surfaces of the ship (blue areas seem to bloom a lot) I suspect the overdone reflective materials like the gold in the deflector has something to do with it but I have yet to find what setting is causing this.

balmung-redo-576.jpg

balmung-redo-577.jpg

Yeah I think it is the environment stuff that is causing the lighting issues. Still a bit miffed as to why though as Most of it is carryover from other models and it does not affect those as horribly.
    JES
    Here is a example of why I want the importation to work with things.

Image with it off
    balmung-redo-581.jpg

Image with it on.
    balmung-redo-582.jpg

note how the shadows deepen and how much smoother it is where image 1 has noise in the shadows.
    I found that the errant light bloom is something to do with the reflection color composite shader. Apparently color dodge is buggy with the settings I want. So Linear Dodge it is. What this means is the pearl effect will not be as bold. However I was finding some of the effect was too strong in places so this works out. I still wish where was a visual way to see what a composite map looks like vs just the material editor preview of everything. Meh

Here is the brown strip material before and after as I realize I have not really posted a image of this issue.

balmung-redo-584.jpg

balmung-redo-583.jpg

Here is a sample of the ship pre and post editing of the materials and the use of the render settings. It does mean I have to ramp up all the lum settings on the interiors.

balmung-redo-580.jpg

After, there are darker shadows and less of that GI overall brightness going on. Still have the metallic material issues to work out.

balmung-redo-585.jpg
    As much as I don't want to I am reshaping the secondary hull. mostly the warp cut out area as the old one was to shallow and ended up with a overly elongated secondary hull that looked awkward at certain angles. Sadly it means dumping all the cutout detail and aft service bays, it might even mean those elements will not return as interior volume might not allow them.

balmung-redo-586.jpg

balmung-redo-588.jpg

balmung-redo-587.png

I am tempted to replace the struts as well as they taper a bit as they join the nacelle. how they ended up doing this or why is long lost. heh.
    JES
    Well put paid to that, new bit welded into the old bits and some sticky film and glue has put some old parts onto the new. Still will have to rebuild a lot of stuff such as the interiors but least that obs room was saved heh. Added a 2 pair of lifeboats as well. HOWEVER, I might make a pass through to the main shuttle bay or the internal repair bay vs the service bays that were there. As mentioned engine core stuff might interfere with the service bays and not allow them to be rebuilt.

balmung-redo-589.jpg

balmung-redo-590.jpg

Interior layout and volume for stuff. Service bays are too larger or would have to wrap around the core, something I would rather not do.

balmung-redo-591.png

balmung-redo-592.jpg
    JES
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    this a new design or a fleshed out ambassador class?
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    this a new design or a fleshed out ambassador class?

Has nothing to do with the Ambassador except predating it by a decade or so. This is a update of a older mesh used in my first SOTL image. Not sure how much of the info remains online (build logs here might be gone but F3d ones might still exist)
    Bit of info on my blog

https://madkoifish.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/sotl-sowcase-the-u-s-s-balmung/

small gallery of older images from last year
    https://bolidecascade.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/return-of-the-retcon-balmung-project/

Drop down bays and I managed to get the service bays in. They wont be as large as before but they clear most of the other internals to be included.

balmung-redo-593.jpg

balmung-redo-594.jpg

balmung-redo-595.jpg

balmung-redo-596.jpg
    JES
    OK new struts. While some of the decals are displaying differently everything but the vents and those ribs are restored. Reason this was done was due to that tapering in of the strut thickness bothered me WAY too much, not to mention some of the shaping bothered me. Most of the old shape was to try to deal with how the flat face changes on a strut as it swoops forward and then curves upward. If not square to the model you get some funny angles. The old arrangement created a really steep sweep forward angle I did not like.

balmung-redo-598.jpg

balmung-redo-599.jpg

balmung-redo-600.jpg

balmung-redo-601.jpg

ATTN SFM viewers: It has come to my attention that the site is still infected with the google search exploit where it redirects to some not so savory sites running some dodgy scripts. While the site had issues with stuff easily blocked these exploits are not blockable from the users side of things. SO because of this I cam considering heavily if I will continue to post content here as anyone doing a search through google bing yahoo etc will experience these security holes in the site.

I have been hoping these issues would be resolved but after hearing the site is up for grabs and the site owner not showing any interest to repair or fix these issues or even keeping the membership informed I do not see anything changing for the better any time soon unless someone steps up and takes over.

My work will still be view able at foundation3d.com and 3dscifi.com as well as my blogs WIP WORK Posts I wont be making a decision right away but likely I will abandon SFM. I hate to as it was my first 3d forum back in 2001-2002 then rejoining sometime in 2005 and I have learned a lot over those intervening years.
    JES
    since I cannot connect to f3d but maybe once or twice a day and much of the exploits here have been cleaned up except the google hack and a list of eastern eu Instagram url vomit I would give a go at posting here and see.
    Converted some of the internal spaces to use the shuttle bay (saucer) walls and doors. Also adjusted some materials and swapped out some lum lights for photometric.

balmung-redo-851.jpg

balmung-redo-852.jpg

balmung-redo-853.jpg

balmung-redo-854b.jpg
    Extruding the landing decals didnt work that well, it required a really close render for it to show up and was too costly in poly count for the benefit.
    JES
    Some archive stuff as I have NOT updated the blog in ages.

balmung-redo-818.jpg

balmung-redo-819.jpg

balmung-redo-820.jpg

balmung-redo-821.jpg

balmung-redo-823.jpg

balmung-redo-824.jpg

balmung-redo-831.jpg

balmung-redo-833.jpg

balmung-redo-834.jpg

balmung-redo-835.jpg

balmung-redo-836.jpg

balmung-redo-837.jpg

balmung-redo-840.jpg

balmung-redo-841.jpg
    JES
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Yay. Welcome back. It's nice to see the outside of a ship, for a change.
    Well it makes up for my lack of making interiors except the low poly things I put in the ships. :p

Not much of an update but it is something.

balmung-redo-865.jpg

balmung-redo-866.jpg
    JES
    Ok renders showing them all over the ship. I THINK I have all the locations needed. I do think on some ships they had some flanking white blinkers 2/3 down from the half way point on the saucer IE just to the sides of the neck. Anyhow if I should have some elsewhere speak up. Yes, there are none on the front of the nacelles as oddly most of them do not have them there. Somewhere I got the idea that the front of the nacelles are suppose to have RG right of way markers.

balmung-redo-868.jpg

balmung-redo-869.jpg

balmung-redo-870.jpg

balmung-redo-871.jpg

not much getting done as I am having to hover the house as the city thinks renters have no 4th and 14th amendment rights and enforce a penalty house inspection. IE if you do not give permission for government entry they fine your manager and get a warrant. Go figure. It is just some scam to make $$$ bleeding rental owners with the lame excuse of catching slumlords etc.
    JES
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Lovely!