Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKronos One

japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I waited a bit to see if this project would stick around, but lately I've been working on a Kronos One model from Star Trek VI. I really love all the beautiful detail that was put into this model. A lot of my reference comes from here. Many details, including the warp nacelles and the sensor array on the bridge are different than the traditional model , along with gold detailing and a special color scheme. I have blocked out most of the main forms but have been working a lot on the detailing around the engine. There is all sorts of interesting details going on there. Here's a render I did of the current state of the engine... more to come when I have some time! Eventually would be fun to have a few renders with my Enterprise-B encountering Kronos One.
101760.jpg
Post edited by japetus on
Tagged:

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
    Let me be the first to say, "awesome"! I hope to compare notes. One area not pictured in all the references is the small indentation on the bottom edge of the engine. The larger one behind it has cooling fins or something, and the small one on top has a "gear" in it. Do you know of a photo of the area?
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,569Member
    Nice start!
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Let me be the first to say, "awesome"! I hope to compare notes. One area not pictured in all the references is the small indentation on the bottom edge of the engine. The larger one behind it has cooling fins or something, and the small one on top has a "gear" in it. Do you know of a photo of the area?

Yeah I don't really know either, this is about the best I have found, but you can barely see the side of it. I'll probably put something similar to the gear in there.

http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/KG_MD_PL_QOUNOS_ONE-064.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I'm going to get really nerdy here, but kronos is really spelt with a Q
    IRML wrote: »
    I'm going to get really nerdy here, but kronos is really spelt with a Q

Yes...I know... Qo'noS Wan or something like that :)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Great work as usual.

It's kind of funny looking at close up photos of the studio model. You can tell the models were made for filming and not up close scrutiny. I know some of it has to do with the amount of time that has passed, but other stuff, well, just didn't have the attention to detail that it should have. The 3D models here end up looking better than the studio models! LOL

Al
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Literally, it'd be Qo'noS wa'

Sorry for really speaking tlhIngan Hol....
    Here's another render... added the center pylon and smoothed out the hull to test my topology.

kronos_02.jpg
    98265.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Doing a great job! Looking forward to this!
    After a bit of a break working on my Aries, I'm back to Kronos. Been adding details to the other side of the engine, going pretty well I think.

engine.jpg
  • seanrseanr1142 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 608Member
    Always preferred this over the original puke green K'tinga - glad to finally see someone take a whack at it. Nice work so far. :)
    Update coming soon, been busy working on the house. So many great models and references have popped up on this site in recent days I'm hoping mine turns out just as good!
    Update! Worked on the bridge area and the hangar deck area or whatever it is... hope to soon actually start Kronos-ing it with some bling!

kronos_04.jpg
    kronos_07.jpg
    kronos_05.jpg
    kronos_06.jpg
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Looking real good.....keep going
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    I'm actually watching ST:VI on tv as I post this (great movie).

Details look good, but texturing will be the key. I look forward to more!

Jmoney
    Nice work Japetus. You are clearly going to nail this. My observation is that the two tilted side pieces on the shuttle section at the back of the main hull are a little big (or appear big because the shuttle bay structure is too small) and the curved intake grating on the same shuttle bay structure (facing the front of the ship) is a little too raked back and not tall enough.

The front is great and I particularly love the accuracy of the top (lid) of the taller rear dome (bridge?). Will watch this as a loyal fan.
    So I went back and looked at the photos of Quo'nos and my ship and realized that I needed to "rake" that front facing grill back a bit more like yours and reduce how tall my shuttle bay area was. My two side pieces may be a bit tall vertically. I'm still of the opinion that yours need to be reduced in size some. They look perfect in form, just big for your model. :)
    You were right about those two side pieces being too tall. That whole shuttle area is tricky. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Yeah, I found the Shuttle bay structure convoluted. Looking from the front and back, there are lots of "pieces" that seem to be arranged together as if there was a connecting structure or "mount" on the hull, followed by the actual shuttle bay - set into (or onto) it.

I haven't looked carefully at the labels on the drawings but I take it that the front grill is some kind of "collector" and the tilted side pieces possibly having something to do with power plant cooling or something.
    I always thought it was a weird place to have a shuttlebay, between all those seeming vents and power plant pieces. Makes me think that it'd be standing in a microwave or something.
    Well Put!: :lol:

I suppose the Klingons didn't put much importance on escape pods and shuttles. Probably prefer a Bat'Leth and quick beam in.
    Hey dudes! Been super busy at work and getting ready for Christmas, but here is some views. What do you guys think of the huge vents on the sides? Its kind of hard to tell the shape of that area from my reference. I think it looks pretty ok, but need some other eyes on it!

side_vents.jpg
    vents_bottom.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking real nice so far.
    They look closer to the model than mine. Mine are too short / square (on my to do list). My observation is that the near lower (front lower) corner drops down too low. But boy, you've come a long way, being busy and all!. Looks Great!
    Hey guys been super busy with Christmas and work and a new cat, but started working on this baby again. Hope to post pictures soon. Still greebling like a mad man! So many parts!!
    Edit: Lightened up these images also.

Wow there are a lot of D-7s going on now again. Here are a couple renders just to prove that I'm still working on it! Been adding lots of detail to the neck and have been starting on the bridge area as well. I worked on the underside this morning. Many of the panels will be chamfered later. At this point I'm just getting them laid out right, so it looks a little bit blocky right now. I'm kind of dreading the main fuselage area, it's gonna be nuts! I know these renders are a little dark although I tried to lighten them in post. I made my lighting a bit too dramatic for now perhaps...

kronos_08_0000.jpg
    kronos_08_0001.jpg
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    If this comes even half to the quality of your Aries model, than this will be a stunning model! You do amazing work.
    Thanks Tralfaz. I reallly wish I had like a nice solid week to work on this thing like I do for projects at my work. I'd get done what takes me like 2 months to do on my free time, ha! I've barely "Qo'nosed" this guy, still working on parts for the D-7! One day...
    Here's an updated render, got the back of the bridge area, excluding the tower business, done!
    kronos_09_.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Could you lighten up the pictures a bit if it isn't too much trouble?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.