Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKronos One

• japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    I pushed things a bit further on my image with the 2 ships, added a planet and sun flare, also fixed the chromatic abberation on the stars so there is less of a zoom blur effect.

bothships_test_04.jpg
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    I'd lose the sun straight away - the position doesn't match the lighting direction on the ships, and the ships have waaaaaaay too much ambient light for that to even register as a sun.
  • RekkertRekkert4080 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,308Member
    I have to agree with Martocticvs.
    If you want to keep the sun, I'd recommend moving it to the top right corner, to better match the lights being casted on both ships. The way it's right now, it looks more like an explosion on the Kronos than like a sun.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    japetus wrote: »
    I pushed things a bit further on my image with the 2 ships, added a planet and sun flare, also fixed the chromatic abberation on the stars so there is less of a zoom blur effect.

bothships_test_04.jpg
    much better than the blurry one, but as everyone else says, sun is not too good. also planet is blurred,featureless and glowy, maybe take inspiration from some images of real planets rather than from old star trek effects. colours on kronos are excellent.
    much better than the blurry one, but as everyone else says, sun is not too good. also planet is blurred,featureless and glowy, maybe take inspiration from some images of real planets rather than from old star trek effects. colours on kronos are excellent.

Maybe it's a gas giant like Neptune or Saturn ;)
    japetus wrote: »
    Maybe it's a gas giant like Neptune or Saturn ;)

even then they do have some features to their atmospheres such as different coloured gas clouds and wisps of dust etc.
    neptune_2_large.jpg
    Wavelike_patterns_in_the_cloud_bands_of_Saturn_s_atmosphere_large.jpg
    175847main_pia08934_detail.jpg
    and from the amount of surface visible in your render some of this would be expected. nice glows on ships, engines/lights though.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    I think the star field definitely looks better in the "second attempt".

Regarding the scene itself, I'm not sure if you're looking for specific guidance/critiques (this may just be part of your building and testing process) but my opinion would be to adjust the lighting on the ships, and also perhaps find a way to make the sun less "in your face". You could do this by perhaps having the light of the sun just breaking around the limb of the planet (in a similar fashion to the scene where the Millennium Falcon is escaping Bespin and preparing for Hyperspace towards the end of The Empire Strikes Back) or by adjusting the positioning of it.

As I say, I'm not sure if this is a "scene in the making" you're looking for opinions on, so feel free to either take or leave the above, depending on your plans.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Samurai wrote: »
    As I say, I'm not sure if this is a "scene in the making" you're looking for opinions on, so feel free to either take or leave the above, depending on your plans.

Yeah it is sort of a scene in the making...i did the render of the ships w/o a real idea of what I was going to do with them.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I would really like to see the K'tinga in the night sky of those cool glowing Saturn images.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    With the Klongons looking for chest-bursting parasites, and Excelsior coming up on a dead ship...
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    I like the scene's set up, but I personally would darken the side of the ships that is facing the camera, but still give them some simulated light bounce off the planet behind the camera... and make the sun's position fit the illumination of the ships or fit the illumination of the ships with the sun's position... and I'd give the rings a little more detail... overall, I like it.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I've been pretty busy but I do plan on getting back that image. Thanks for all the comments on it guys, you've given me lots to think about! In other news, here are a few ortho renders..

kronos_stills_output_01-0006.jpg
    kronos_stills_output_01-0005.jpg
    kronos_stills_output_01-0001.jpg
    kronos_still2_ao_a01-01.jpg
    angle1.jpg

Shameless plug: a few more renders are on my webpage: http://www.japetusproductions.com/?p=112
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Are these used in official projects, e.g. fan films or is this just for fun? I mean, you're right up there with Tobias, etc. when it comes to model quality, fan films should seriously look you up.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome renders there. Very nice work. Particularly loving the clay render showing off all the geometry detail.

:thumb:
    Thanks Chris, no these are just for fun and on my free time, which gets less and less every year! Thanks, being compared to Tobias is a great compliment :). I love his lighting and materials which really sell his work.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    A very fine piece of work, Japetus.
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG209 Posts: 203Member
    Masterpiece. That's all I can say...
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wonderful details. :)
    sometimes you don't realise quite how much detail is on that model until you see it in monochrome. i have run out of different ways to say this is brilliant.
    Well after seeing rel777's AMAZING physical ktinga I see a few windows and running lights I missed. There are some windows I guess on the front of the hull that don't really show up in the movie but would be nice to have there anyway I think. Also some running lights on the sides of the nacelles and a spotlight on the side of the shuttlebay casting across the hull. Will have to research more. All easy things to add thankfully ..:)
    Heh, was just about to say you'll soon have ample reference for a standard K'tinga once Rel77 posts his finished images of that model.
    Necro posting my own thread...but I thought I'd just toot my own horn ;). Well I finally did it, I replaced my 2D texture mapped metal pieces with real geometry. It was a beast of a project to do, i was able to extract some shapes from my photoshop vector file (next time I'm doing something like this in Illustrator) but I had to go through all the metal pieces to clean them up. :argh: This will give me better and more accurate results in general, especially when rendering AO, mentalray doesn't respect transparency in cutout maps, at least in this version I'm using. Plus it completes the "hardcore-ness" of this model, haha. Some screenshots... Don't cringe too badly at the topology. I'm very deliberately using the "Subdivide" modifier in order to get the best triangles instead of messing with turning edges and cutting lines everywhere. Some of these pieces really have to bend to flow across the hull.

metal_geo.jpg

metal_geo2.jpg

metal_geo3.jpg
    Good grief! You're a glutton for punishment aren't you?

Nice work.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
    Ok so that's just crazy... in an amazing way. Nice work and Ditto to what Talon_UK said. :)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looks wonderfull... and crazy! As Talon and Brandenberg said. ;)
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I'm going to get really nerdy here, but kronos is really spelt with a Q

Pfft, you call that nerdy? I got into an argument with Mojo once about whether or not the language is called Klingon or Klingonese.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    I think you already know the model looks great. ;)

I wanted to comment on the image on the first post. Compositionally, it's really nice... but I'd recommend moving the nebula 'eye' in the upper right corner a little closer to the edge so that there's black space around the ship. That'll draw the eye more towards the ship and accentuate the beauty of the model.

Very nicely done!
  • jrhotteljrhottel9 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, I spent a fair amount of time trying to make Illustrator AI files into 3ds Max geometry and failed. As I remember, Max had AI in the import file types which gave me much false hope. So How did you do it?
    jrhottel wrote: »
    Wow, I spent a fair amount of time trying to make Illustrator AI files into 3ds Max geometry and failed. As I remember, Max had AI in the import file types which gave me much false hope. So How did you do it?

Good question, it wasn't easy! My life would have been a lot easier if I had made my file in Illustrator to begin with, but I haven't used Illustrator much and just automatically go to Photoshop. I don't know if this is still true in the latest version of Max, but it used to be that you had to export your Illustrator file as an .ai for Illustator version 8 and then your splines would come in. However, since I didn't start in Illustrator I had to convert my PS shapes to a workpath and then futz with it a lot in Max and rebuild some of them as splines in Max.It was quite arduous but I like these results more. I used the Subdivide modifier because I wasn't so concerned about having "good" geometry, just not having the shape explode. Subdivide was a nice way for it to evenly distribute polygons and change the density easily. The Cutout map had issues with Ambient Occlusion that were annoying me.
  • jrhotteljrhottel9 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, I may revisit the Idea. I own a new copy of Illustrator. It will not save in earlier file versions. Found a program that promised to do the conversion but it was way to expensive. Thanks for the inspiration.