Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAndy Probert's Enterprise NCC-1701-F

• vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, here's short video test clip of the revisioned F, made by Andy himself and posted on his FB page ;)

[video=facebook;449176818469328]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=449176818469328[/video]
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Coming along now. Though the flat saucer top bugs the hell out of me. It really would be better as a softer curve. Unless there's a very specific reason for it to have a flat top of course.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    I have to admit, I tried for 3 days to recreate that shape in Sketchup. Couldn't get close. The compound curves are a killer. I would be very curious to see Probert's Sketchup attempt.
    sojourner wrote: »
    I have to admit, I tried for 3 days to recreate that shape in Sketchup. Couldn't get close. The compound curves are a killer. I would be very curious to see Probert's Sketchup attempt.

Yeh, the shape is one continues piece -like a sculpture. Thats why its hard to achieve it and thats why I choose to do it as low-poly model. You can have with it much better control with organic curved modeling ;)

F_view_01.jpg F_view_02.jpg
    99646.jpg99647.jpg
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Its definitely much better, though I can see a few odd kinks and things that obviously need to be smoothed out. But I like it more and more. Though that flat saucer top... its really driving me nuts. She going to have an external bridge dome somewhere on top?
    She going to have an external bridge dome somewhere on top?

I dont think so. As I replied before, Andy designed even the D without the bridge dome. He's logic and idea for new class of federation starships, was that bridge needs to be secluded and well protected inside the hull. And this was capt until very end of the final design, when Gene asked Andy to put it on top. And because he was the boss, Andy did that little redesign. I dont know why Gene insisted for that -maybe he felt that he needed some visual connection with TOS and TMP and old enterprise.

However, because Andy worked with Gene for years and since ST TMP, he knows what was and what could be direction of the ST ethos today if the Gene was still alive and kicking. The F is just, well back on that track. As well it should have been a long time ago :p

The situation here is the same as it was 86' when audience first saw the D -it was complete shock after decades of seeing the 1701 and refit. It was "something completely different".
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good. I'm amazed it's that low poly. Obviously, your software has some good smoothing settings. Did you say you're using Maya?

I also like the flyby that Andy did. :)
    vmblast wrote: »
    Yeh, the shape is one continues piece -like a sculpture. Thats why its hard to achieve it and thats why I choose to do it as low-poly model. You can have with it much better control with organic curved modeling ;)

F_view_02.jpg

Got an image of the underside of the secondary hull like this? That's the part that gave me headaches in Sketchup.
    sojourner wrote: »
    Got an image of the underside of the secondary hull like this? That's the part that gave me headaches in Sketchup.

Its similar to top version and I still have to clean it up. However I will not do that up until very end, when Andy is completely satisfied with the the hull shape.

F_view_03.jpg
    99652.jpg
    Thanks, that helps me see the real shape without light and shadow playing tricks.
  • RekkertRekkert4071 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Each revision makes it better and better!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    if this is is normal style i will have to put the D down to a fluke, but sure as hell cant call this one elegant
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    if this is is normal style i will have to put the D down to a fluke, but sure as hell cant call this one elegant

A lot more revisions coming up and a lot of things have been changed.
    maybe but honestly think it needs more than a little tinkering - needs rid of the flat top on saucer and more mass in the secondary hull - but regardless - i shouldn't get so worked up about it - despite this guy having designed the d and other trek ships - this one is unofficial and doubt will see a enterprise f on tv ever anyway
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    The Enterprise F is canon and is currently in the game Star Trek Online. (Oh and this isn't it.)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    Adler wrote: »
    The Enterprise F is canon and is currently in the game Star Trek Online. (Oh and this isn't it.)

umm, did you even read the title or intro post?
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Well, at least he didn't necropost the thread.... lol
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Adler wrote: »

The STO 1701-F isn't canon, in the same regard the U.S.S. Titan from the novels isn't canon... because neither have been seen on-screen in a TV episode or movie. So, the 1701-F from STO is NOT canon.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    there's a lot of non-cannon in the game, and will be a lot more added to it that many will think is cannon.
    its just the nature of the beast, there are many voids that need filling in a game environment, and will be unique to the game.

i agree with the Admiral though, untill its in the format of mass media of TV or Film, its hard pressed to be considered cannon.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    For those that may not be aware that a distinction exists:
    • cannon is a thing you shoot
    • canon is a recognized standard

Themoreyouknow.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming revisions, vmblast!
    This post needs a "like" button. As does your sig McC. (That's new, isn't it?)

My personal favourite by the illiterati is "could care less" being used in place of the correct "couldn't care less"....

Returning you now to your scheduled 1701-F thread... :D
    I could care less - but I don't.:thumb:
    ^ That's (barely) acceptable. :p
    McC wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the upcoming revisions, vmblast!

We are still brushing up some details concerning basic form. As you are aware, its practically 90% of the ships visual identity and Andy is very, very thorough about it. ;)

Because he knew and worked with Gene for years, I asked him, what he thinks Gene would say and what would possibly be his impressions when he saw new Enterprise F -His answer was that he hope, that Gene would see it as an elegant design, an extension of the Galaxy design philosophy, a ship of peace and beauty.

This as well, would be my answer (and my personal opinion) to the "canon" comments. If creators of the universe, design, philosophy, ethos and franchise would say "this is it", than that's it -that's official. :)

PS - Bare in mind that ship isn't finished yet and what you've saw up until now is just concepts progression and evolution -we can continue this discussions further when ship is completely finished.
    what do see as un-trekky about the enterprise e? its longer and narrower but still firmly within federation design philosophy - and i would happily describe it as elegant
    Ok, here is one finished render. Though, ship itself is far from finishing as you can see yourself :p -we have a long way ahead of us :D

All the gratz to Andy and his -magic- :thumb:

Shawns_F_002 copy.jpg
    100731.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It does really look like a nice model.
    It... looks disturbingly like it's about to head into the atmosphere. Did someone put Deanna at the helm again? :P
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I like the changes. This ship has a 'presence' that my favorite Enterpises have, that I never felt with the Enterprise-E.